Islamic Terrorists France: 12 dead, police gunned down

bybee

Just stepped back to take an overview of this thread. What became apparent was that a large percentage of the posters were feeding on the posts of of hers who,at least somewhat, agreed with their basic viewpoint. I saw a general attitude of anger, tied to hatred, rooted in an underlying fear. When people of like mind collect they use the similar views of others as a signal that they are correct in their assumptions. Groupthink leading to a gang mentality.

Then I considered how these posters collectively selected whatever tenuous "evidence" and testimony they could find to back their preconceptions. The result was, "many terrorists are Muslims, therefore their violence must be the result of Islam." I can also well imagine other people in other places reading this thread with a long history of being used and abused by the "Christian" West; their lives having been made intolerable by exploitation and repeated invasions. Then some of them gather together with others of like mind, gathering tenuous "evidence" and testimony to show that some Christians are violent aggressors who hate those they are exploiting. And since those who are attacking and exploiting them generally claim to be Christians, then Christianity must be the cause. You know, it was in the Crusades.

In both cases there are the well known mouthpieces that make it their mission to spread the message of, "We're under attack and must gather forces to retalliate.". The leaders of hatred that become icons for the other side to point at as evidence. The phrase, "Pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind.
When was the last time Christians built churches in Islamic theocracies?

When was the last time Christians forced Muslims to convert to Christianity or die?
When was the last time Christians showed videos of beheadings of innocent captives?
When was the last time Christians kidnapped hundreds of children and forced them to become guerilla fighters or sex slaves?
It is not so much that we wish to retaliate. It is that we wish to protect ourselves on our own soil.
You manifest the typical Islamic attitude of no apology, we are never wrong therefore the onus is on everyone else.

Morpheus

A Baghdad marketplace after Shock-And-Awe

baghdad.jpg

Paris Market During Hostage Crisis

article-paris-7-0109.jpg

In both cases innocent people were killed while shopping. The only differences are scale, and in one it was us as a nation, and in the other it was "them" as a "terrorist" group. From their perspective we were the terrorists and they are the heroes retaliating for our atrocities.

Neither is truly justifiable.

As long as we continue in our mutual madness nothing can be resolved

Morpheus

When was the last time Christians built churches in Islamic theocracies?

When was the last time Christians forced Muslims to convert to Christianity or die?
When was the last time Christians showed videos of beheadings of innocent captives?
When was the last time Christians kidnapped hundreds of children and forced them to become guerilla fighters or sex slaves?
It is not so much that we wish to retaliate. It is that we wish to protect ourselves on our own soil.
You manifest the typical Islamic attitude of no apology, we are never wrong therefore the onus is on everyone else.

It resembles a broken marriage where everything is the fault of the other, even if I hit you it's because you drove me to it.

DilatedMind

Nope

Nope

Just stepped back to take an overview of this thread. What became apparent was that a large percentage of the posters were feeding on the posts of of hers who,at least somewhat, agreed with their basic viewpoint. I saw a general attitude of anger, tied to hatred, rooted in an underlying fear. When people of like mind collect they use the similar views of others as a signal that they are correct in their assumptions. Groupthink leading to a gang mentality.

Then I considered how these posters collectively selected whatever tenuous "evidence" and testimony they could find to back their preconceptions. The result was, "many terrorists are Muslims, therefore their violence must be the result of Islam." I can also well imagine other people in other places reading this thread with a long history of being used and abused by the "Christian" West; their lives having been made intolerable by exploitation and repeated invasions. Then some of them gather together with others of like mind, gathering tenuous "evidence" and testimony to show that some Christians are violent aggressors who hate those they are exploiting. And since those who are attacking and exploiting them generally claim to be Christians, then Christianity must be the cause. You know, it was in the Crusades.

In both cases there are the well known mouthpieces that make it their mission to spread the message of, "We're under attack and must gather forces to retalliate.". The leaders of hatred that become icons for the other side to point at as evidence. The phrase, "Pot calling the kettle black" comes to mind.

Hell No.

The Violence is the result of Islam. People aren't equivocating. It is a fact.
It's a quirky fact, but a fact non the less.

I've no love lost with certain mods here, and I'm pretty sure that a conversation between me and Delmar has a more than 60% chance of me and he exchanging blows. But if that were to happen I'm also 99% sure he wouldn't shoot me. I know he has guns, but I'm also clear he has standards. Delmar is a Christian Extremist, but he isn't going to shoot up an Atheist magazine.

Let's not get things twisted. There's one, and only one, religion posing an existential threat to modernity; and that religion is Islam.

I can say religion is stupid. I can say it right here, on this forum, which is hardline to say the least. I have said it. Repeatedly. No one, and I do mean no one has ever even threatened to kill me.

Judaism and Christianity have been a part of the cultural evolution of Western Civilisation, which has resulted in departures from scripture in so many ways, and on so many levels, that the hard line is marginalised. Hence this forum. The hardline is here. The hardline types like fury, expresses opinions, condemns, and vilifies.

What it does not do is murder people for propaganda.

The pot is not calling the kettle black. The pot is pointing out that the fringe is charred and bitter, while those in the middle are busy being worm and tasty.

Islam has two choices: Grow up and get with the Programme, or get rolled over.

It's choosing the latter and lashing out. What it needs to do is chose the former which will allow it to recognise that the Programme is a work in progress and all sensible views are welcome.

Morpheus

Hell No.

The Violence is the result of Islam. People aren't equivocating. It is a fact.
It's a quirky fact, but a fact non the less.

I've no love lost with certain mods here, and I'm pretty sure that a conversation between me and Delmar has a more than 60% chance of me and he exchanging blows. But if that were to happen I'm also 99% sure he wouldn't shoot me. I know he has guns, but I'm also clear he has standards. Delmar is a Christian Extremist, but he isn't going to shoot up an Atheist magazine.

Let's not get things twisted. There's one, and only one, religion posing an existential threat to modernity; and that religion is Islam.

I can say religion is stupid. I can say it right here, on this forum, which is hardline to say the least. I have said it. Repeatedly. No one, and I do mean no one has ever even threatened to kill me.

Judaism and Christianity have been a part of the cultural evolution of Western Civilisation, which has resulted in departures from scripture in so many ways, and on so many levels, that the hard line is marginalised. Hence this forum. The hardline is here. The hardline types like fury, expresses opinions, condemns, and vilifies.

What it does not do is murder people for propaganda.

The pot is not calling the kettle black. The pot is pointing out that the fringe is charred and bitter, while those in the middle are busy being worm and tasty.

Islam has two choices: Grow up and get with the Programme, or get rolled over.

It's choosing the latter and lashing out. What it needs to do is chose the former which will allow it to recognise that the Programme is a work in progress and all sensible views are welcome.

I see. The world is smaller now, so everyone must assimilate with Western (power of the day) culture, or die. I wonder why anyone who refuses to fall into line would feel threatened.

I find it a bit ironic that it was Victor Hugo that wrote, "Where there is darkness crimes will be committed. The guilty one is not merely he who commits the crime but he who caused the darkness."

Let's try another analogy. The football team bullies a group of kids who don't meet "their standards". One day a couple of those kids comes to school with an assault weapon and a pistol he took from dad's closet and they mow down as many of the team as they can before they takes their own lives to keep from going to jail. Everyone asks, what would make these kids do such a thing? They must be insane, or there must be serious issues at home. The obvious, that they were doing the only thing left in their power to defend themselves (and they were emotionally unstable). That does not excuse their behavior, but the forces pushing them to such an extreme have their own blame to bear. But they were the football team, and we always excuse or overlook their bad behavior.

Just because Western culture has risen to power does not mean we have the right to rule the world. Back a mouse into a corner and eventually it will fight. I'm not excusing terrorists aberrant behavior, I'm just saying that we need to recognize our own, and how one affects the other and vice-versa.

http://www.amazon.com/Blowback-Consequences-American-Empire-Project/dp/0805075593

Last edited:

Nazaroo

The West is focusing on a few isolated acts of Islamic violence by a few extremists - but continues to be oblivious to the centuries of their intruding in Middle Eastern affairs and the unreported 1000's upon 1000's of Moslems that have been killed and wounded as a result of this meddling!

Lets compare jgarden's BS with reality:

Three things are odd about these tweets.

First, there have been nearly 25,000 terrorist attacks committed in the name of Islam since 9-11. Is repeatedly pointing to the actions of ONE non-Muslim supposed to show that Islam isn't violent? If Islam is really no more violent than other ideologies, shouldn't CAIR be able to point to a hundred thousand terrorist attacks by non-Muslims? Second, by Breivik's own words, he wasn't a Christian at all. He said in his manifesto that he was going to claim to belong to an ideology that had the best chance of uniting Europeans and that he chose 'Christianity' because Odinism wasn't widespread enough. Here's what he said:

Odinism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEqM5bi8K4

DilatedMind

I see. The world is smaller now, so everyone must assimilate with Western (power of the day) culture, or die. I wonder why anyone who refuses to fall into line would feel threatened.

I find it a bit ironic that it was Victor Hugo that wrote, "Where there is darkness crimes will be committed. The guilty one is not merely he who commits the crime but he who caused the darkness."

Let's try another analogy. The football team bullies a group of kids who don't meet "their standards". One day a couple of those kids comes to school with an assault weapon and a pistol he took from dad's closet and they mow down as many of the team as they can before they takes their own lives to keep from going to jail. Everyone asks, what would make these kids do such a thing? They must be insane, or there must be serious issues at home. The obvious, that they were doing the only thing left in their power to defend themselves (and they were emotionally unstable). That does not excuse their behavior, but the forces pushing them to such an extreme have their own blame to bear. But they were the football team, and we always excuse or overlook their bad behavior.

Just because Western culture has risen to power does not mean we have the right to rule the world. Back a mouse into a corner and eventually it will fight. I'm not excusing terrorists aberrant behavior, I'm just saying that we need to recognize our own, and how one affects the other and vice-versa.

http://www.amazon.com/Blowback-Consequences-American-Empire-Project/dp/0805075593

Well, yeah.

Sorry to burst your rainbow infused bubble, but there's some gaping holes in your argument.

You can take your football analogy and shove it wherever you please. This argument goes way beyond in and out group.

We're about to celebrate the 800 year anniversary of Magna Carta. Don't come at me that all ideas are relative. There is an objective truth that the quashing of the Divine Right of Kings was a Good Thing. Since that point, 'Western' civilisation has been moving forward, and we are now where we are; we've had revolutions of science and philosophy one on top of the other. Some sprang from Judaism (the work of Spinoza) some from Christianity (Copernicus et al), others were entirely secular (Voltaire). Whatever the political stance, it's hard to argue that it wasn't a collaborative effort which has moved inexorably toward the secular.

That's where we, in Western Modernity sit; full of the joy of freedom riding a sometimes complicated wave toward Liberty, Equality, and Solidarity.

The input of the Islamic world was, indeed, once unbelievably profound; mathematics and astronomy have some significant debts to the early years, as do the realms of poetry and literature. But no longer.

One system has proved overwhelmingly superior when it comes to the betterment of the populous, and that system is the secular ideal. It does have its flaws, it does have its contradictions, and it does have blood on its hands. But do not sit there and tell me that it isn't objectively better than what it's rubbing up against.

While you're crying about just how badly 'The West' is treating Islam, take a deep breath and then tell me that Islam isn't pissing all over women, homosexuals, dissent, and creativity.

It's a non-argument. One civilisation actually is objectively better than the other, you're just blind to the argument.

Football my arse, this is actually serious.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...]We're about to celebrate the 800 year anniversary of Magna Carta. Don't come at me that all ideas are relative.
He's not an atheist. That should be your line.

There is an objective truth that the quashing of the Divine Right of Kings was a Good Thing.
No there isn't. If you're a king of feudal lord the loss stinks. If you're a vassal then it's gravy. What makes one preferable, objectively? A standard that itself isn't objectively necessary or established outside of a circle.

One system has proved overwhelmingly superior when it comes to the betterment of the populous, and that system is the secular ideal.
I'd agree that the greatest good for the greatest number appears to be served by a government that restrains the domination of any faction and promotes the empowerment of all in right.

It does have its flaws, it does have its contradictions, and it does have blood on its hands. But do not sit there and tell me that it isn't objectively better than what it's rubbing up against.
These days, I'd say yes. But not long ago we enslaved people, denied women their due, had child sweat shops, abused immigrants horrifically and nearly practiced genocide on Native Americans.

The West started a few world wars, virtually and economically enslaved and exploited many people who weren't of us, which is part of the problem we face now. Islam, especially where the trouble is finding expression or root, is behind the West in terms of economic and political development. Or, they look a lot like we did a not terribly, but distant time past.

And as many have noted there's a war within Islam that we can either help the rational, peaceful people who still comprise the greater part of that faith win or by broad brushing Muslims and conflating the worst with the rest force into an alliance with those we would see marginalized and defeated.

You want an objectively better position, it's not found in overreachingly negative stereotypes, even if you find many of the practices of that religion objectionable.

DilatedMind

He's not an atheist. That should be your line.
And what? People don't think Magna Carta was a bit special? It is not an atheist tract; it's a democratic push. FFS. By 'We' I mean Humanity. If you think otherwise, you have my sympathy, but it might explain a few things.

No there isn't. If you're a king of feudal lord the loss stinks. If you're a vassal then it's gravy. What makes one preferable, objectively? A standard that itself isn't objectively necessary or established outside of a circle.
Yes, there is.
Quit thinking down. In the aggregate, it is a benefit, objectively. Don't be daft. Be my guest to argue semantics all you like.

I'd agree that the greatest good for the greatest number appears to be served by a government that restrains the domination of any faction and promotes the empowerment of all in right.
Groovy.

These days, I'd say yes. But not long ago we enslaved people, denied women their due, had child sweat shops, abused immigrants horrifically and nearly practiced genocide on Native Americans.
And your point is?
I said moving forward, toward. What you lot got up to in the Americas was in some ways behind what we did in Europe and in some ways ahead (that secular constitution of yours, etc). I'm talking about these days, and those days that will follow these days. One system is moving somewhere (however painfully slowly) forward to those ideals I mentioned, and one system is seeking to pull back to another (darker) age.

The West started a few world wars, virtually and economically enslaved and exploited many people who weren't of us, which is part of the problem we face now. Islam, especially where the trouble is finding expression or root, is behind the West in terms of economic and political development. Or, they look a lot like we did a not terribly, but distant time past.
The West obviously did do that. Empires, eh? The point is that out of that rampant power/land/resource grabberry has sprung an even more subtle and nuanced development of political philosophy (namely the primacy of the EU over NATO).
Islam is behind the West, but it has the rather obvious benefit of being able to watch the mistakes of Europe, and act accordingly. The USA is a rather obvious example of a nation successfully absorbing where Europe went wrong and taking corrective measures within its own management. Islam (as a political entity, which it seems to be) has the benefit of the historical record and it is blind to it.

And as many have noted there's a war within Islam that we can either help the rational, peaceful people who still comprise the greater part of that faith win or by broad brushing Muslims and conflating the worst with the rest force into an alliance with those we would see marginalized and defeated.

You want an objectively better position, it's not found in overreachingly negative stereotypes, even if you find many of the practices of that religion objectionable.

I'm not talking to Muslims here, though, am I?
Regardless, there is a clash of civilisations; On one side there are a huge number of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Hindus, etc, etc, representing modernity, and on the other are the forces of autocracy and theocracy, which are currently mainly represented by Islam.
To be honest, I'm not sure how anyone is either conflicted or confused by this.
If you really think I'm being overly negative, I can only assume you haven't opened a newspaper in the 36 years I've been alive.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And what? People don't think Magna Carta was a bit special?
Where'd I say it wasn't?

It is not an atheist tract; it's a democratic push. FFS. By 'We' I mean Humanity. If you think otherwise, you have my sympathy, but it might explain a few things.
I'm noting the problem with your advance. You're making claims about objectivity. Valuations of that sort aren't objective truths. They're subjective preferences.

Yes, there is.
No, there isn't. It's not objectively true that what benefits the largest number of people is best, unless you accept an independently true valuation, which you rationally can't as an atheist. So any valuation you do advance, whether or not we agree (and we do in this) can't be advanced as something objectively true, only as an argument for or from an accepted value/context.

Quit thinking down. In the aggregate, it is a benefit, objectively. Don't be daft. Be my guest to argue semantics all you like.
"There is a benefit" is a different argument. To the people who benefit, of course. Inarguably.

I'm talking about these days,
Sure. And I'm noting that there are areas of the world that are economically and socially behind us, just as we were once behind other parts of the world. It doesn't follow that Islam is the problem any more than Christendom was once upon a time, which was the principle divergence between us in terms of context.

The West obviously did do that. Empires, eh?
Colonialism, etc. Sure. We lied to the Arabs to get their help against the Germans and then essentially carved them up to suit our economic interests. Even after that waned we were puppet masters, often as not inviting and encouraging practices at odds with our declared Western values. It set the stage to both keep those peoples backwards and to embroil them deeply in the thing that has been a historic balm for oppressed peoples, faith and to move that faith as a part of their objection and to make zealots the more likely leaders in those parts.

Islam is behind the West, but it has the rather obvious benefit of being able to watch the mistakes of Europe, and act accordingly.
We observed older and wiser cultures, but it took quite a while before we even really took on the better parts of Rome. And cultures have a way of seeing their own norms as superior. Makes change hard and slow. Expecting others to do what we did in a much shorter window isn't reasonable. It's a failed policy in the making, as was our nation building idea, outside of a culture primed for it, Japan.

The USA is a rather obvious example of a nation successfully absorbing where Europe went wrong and taking corrective measures within its own management.
I'd agree, but it wasn't really a remarkable divergence, was a social evolution long in coming from the same peoples who populated your continent and even then we struggled to live up to our own ideas advancing and still do.

Islam (as a political entity, which it seems to be) has the benefit of the historical record and it is blind to it.
Again, look at the number of Muslims. It's poverty and culture in particular regions driving the impression. It's not most of Islam, which is why a good bit of Europe and my own country isn't smoking.

You seemed to be talking broadly, which was part of my objection.

Regardless, there is a clash of civilisations; On one side there are a huge number of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Hindus, etc, etc, representing modernity, and on the other are the forces of autocracy and theocracy, which are currently mainly represented by Islam.
Islam isn't quite as uniform or static as you seem to think it is but yes, there is a central conflict between radical Islam and every opposing ideology. Maybe that's part of the problem. All we tend to see is the field that's burning. Especially if we aren't farmers.

To be honest, I'm not sure how anyone is either conflicted or confused by this. If you really think I'm being overly negative, I can only assume you haven't opened a newspaper in the 36 years I've been alive.
I think you're impression is understandably narrow, but somewhat mistaken and a bit too general. As I noted in my last, if we approach that way we invite the thing those elements of Islam desire most, a solid divide and a holy war.

Morpheus

And what? People don't think Magna Carta was a bit special? It is not an atheist tract; it's a democratic push. FFS. By 'We' I mean Humanity. If you think otherwise, you have my sympathy, but it might explain a few things.

Yes, there is.

Groovy.

And your point is?
I said moving forward, toward. What you lot got up to in the Americas was in some ways behind what we did in Europe and in some ways ahead (that secular constitution of yours, etc). I'm talking about these days, and those days that will follow these days. One system is moving somewhere (however painfully slowly) forward to those ideals I mentioned, and one system is seeking to pull back to another (darker) age.

The West obviously did do that. Empires, eh? The point is that out of that rampant power/land/resource grabberry has sprung an even more subtle and nuanced development of political philosophy (namely the primacy of the EU over NATO).
Islam is behind the West, but it has the rather obvious benefit of being able to watch the mistakes of Europe, and act accordingly. The USA is a rather obvious example of a nation successfully absorbing where Europe went wrong and taking corrective measures within its own management. Islam (as a political entity, which it seems to be) has the benefit of the historical record and it is blind to it.

To be honest, I'm not sure how anyone is either conflicted or confused by this.
If you really think I'm being overly negative, I can only assume you haven't opened a newspaper in the 36 years I've been alive.

Although there are many general perceptions about idiological comparisons that we seem to actually agree on, where we diverge basically comes down to what I view as a tendency to demonize based on overgeneralization. Many scholars, mostly Muslim scholars, recognize a difference between traditional Islam an Islamism, which is a 20th Century human construct that took particular Islamic teachings and twisted them for political gain. It originally came out of Egypt and subsequently went through several splits to fit their own specific political goals. Islamists are no more considered true representatives of Islam than the Klan or Nazis are considered true representatives of Christianity by Traditional Christians.

I used to have a narrower view of things when I was younger, but the years have taught me that most of the prejudices I was raised to accept were wrong. Maybe reading more than just newspapers in my 61 years has taught me that newspapers generally print a particular ethnic position of current events. 61 years also gives one longer view as long as the individual keeps an open mind.

DilatedMind

Where'd I say it wasn't?
You appeared to be questioning that this an atheist/theist distinction. I happy you've clarified that the demotion of divinity is a trend we can all enthuse.
I'm noting the problem with your advance. You're making claims about objectivity. Valuations of that sort aren't objective truths. They're subjective preferences.
They are objective. The only requirement for you to understand this is to dismount your theological high horse and at least attend a seminar of present day neuroscience and philosophy.

No, there isn't. It's not objectively true that what benefits the largest number of people is best, unless you accept an independently true valuation, which you rationally can't as an atheist. So any valuation you do advance, whether or not we agree (and we do in this) can't be advanced as something objectively true, only as an argument for or from an accepted value/context.

Again, yes, it is objectively true. You're appealing to an external authority, which is understandable but unnecessary. Obviously I do not agree with this, and while being an interesting and necessary conversation, it's actually an aside to this topic. I assume your 19th Century philosophy is being discussed elsewhere in this forum.
Values, and their context are very, very important, as are their acceptance. As is the context in which they are undertaken. These, I might point out, were the context under which your holy books were written.

Don't play silly.

"There is a benefit" is a different argument. To the people who benefit, of course. Inarguably.

If you'd paid attention, you'd have noted that it's exactly the same argument.

Sure. And I'm noting that there are areas of the world that are economically and socially behind us, just as we were once behind other parts of the world. It doesn't follow that Islam is the problem any more than Christendom was once upon a time, which was the principle divergence between us in terms of context.
And clearly you haven't paid attention. Obviously Christendom was the problem once upon a time. Now it's not. It did leave a wake of utter destruction, but it has also (utterly inadvertently) spawned a new way of thinking and operating.

Colonialism, etc. Sure. We lied to the Arabs to get their help against the Germans and then essentially carved them up to suit our economic interests. Even after that waned we were puppet masters, often as not inviting and encouraging practices at odds with our declared Western values. It set the stage to both keep those peoples backwards and to embroil them deeply in the thing that has been a historic balm for oppressed peoples, faith and to move that faith as a part of their objection and to make zealots the more likely leaders in those parts.
Right.
So, as an American, just how much of your income do you devote to reparations for the slave trade? Oh? None?
Who cares.
The Islamic world is rich as f*ck. It sits on a huge section of the world's most coveted resource. Cry. Me. A. River.
This argument has exactly nothing to do with the issue, other than to emphasise the fact that non-secular governance is more prone to poor distribution of natural resource. Yes, autocracy is bad, pretty sure I already said this.

We observed older and wiser cultures, but it took quite a while before we even really took on the better parts of Rome. And cultures have a way of seeing their own norms as superior. Makes change hard and slow. Expecting others to do what we did in a much shorter window isn't reasonable. It's a failed policy in the making, as was our nation building idea, outside of a culture primed for it, Japan.
We didn't observe older and wiser cultures; we patched the holes in their failures. That's how progress works. Stop looking for a golden age that never was. The world right now is better than it ever has been.
If Islam doesn't pull its sh*t together it will get crushed. It's that simple. It might not be pretty, it certainly won't be moral, but it will happen.
The only way to stop that is to drag this 7th Century ideology through 1000 years of modernity, really, really quickly. I'm sorry it upsets you, but that's how it is.

I'd agree, but it wasn't really a remarkable divergence, was a social evolution long in coming from the same peoples who populated your continent and even then we struggled to live up to our own ideas advancing and still do.
Indeed, it's called secular progress. Well done. No, really, well done.

Again, look at the number of Muslims. It's poverty and culture in particular regions driving the impression. It's not most of Islam, which is why a good bit of Europe and my own country isn't smoking.
It's not.
Poverty does make people angry as all hell. Poverty is rife, and it sucks. It takes something numinous to take and angry guy and turn him into a murderer. Islam is filling that hole right now.

You seemed to be talking broadly, which was part of my objection.
Your objection to the discussion isn't really something I can be bothered to worry about. But if it upsets you so, complain to the OP?

Islam isn't quite as uniform or static as you seem to think it is but yes, there is a central conflict between radical Islam and every opposing ideology. Maybe that's part of the problem. All we tend to see is the field that's burning. Especially if we aren't farmers.

How uniform do you think I think it is? I think it's just like any other dumb-*** religion; any idiot takes something on faith to mean what he thinks it means. Sadly there's a special sauces in this one that causes an issue. The main one being that it makes the striking claim to be the last and final revelation.
I know a huge number of Muslims who are cool. But I'm sorry, this religion is the big problem for humanity in a way that Jainism is not. Sometimes, my friend, the field actually is burning. Get thee a bucket.

I think you're impression is understandably narrow, but somewhat mistaken and a bit too general. As I noted in my last, if we approach that way we invite the thing those elements of Islam desire most, a solid divide and a holy war.

Well, while I'd otherwise love to be patronised, I'd rather you either countered my argument with something salient or presented a rational way forward.
It's not over though, there's a whole bunch of us in Europe reaching out, your middle of the road platitudes are a mildly amusing stepping stone. Everyone plays their part.

Well done you. Have a biscuit.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You appeared to be questioning that this an atheist/theist distinction. I happy you've clarified that the demotion of divinity is a trend we can all enthuse.
It's interesting how little of what you write about what I write has anything to do with what I've actually written.

They are objective. The only requirement for you to understand this is to dismount your theological high horse and at least attend a seminar of present day neuroscience and philosophy.
Values aren't objective absent an independent arbiter and a standard that exists as an absolute regardless of our preference. Otherwise (and it's peculiar that I should have to explain this to an atheist) it's only a choice you've made in context. That you can rationalize a value isn't the same animal. Sure, a republic is better for most people. But why is what's better for most people the standard again?

That's why I said you were running in a circle on that one.

You're appealing to an external authority, which is understandable but unnecessary.[/qutoe]
It's absolutely necessary if you want to claim objective truth in relation to a moral standard, supra.

Obviously I do not agree with this, and while being an interesting and necessary conversation, it's actually an aside to this topic. I assume your 19th Century philosophy is being discussed elsewhere in this forum.
Logic is no more limited to a time frame than atheism appears, in your part, to be rooted in logic.

Values, and their context are very, very important, as are their acceptance.
Again not something I'm arguing against.

If you'd paid attention, you'd have noted that it's exactly the same argument.
No, a thing having benefit for X (with X being one or many) is certainly a good for X, but it doesn't follow that the standard is objectively true, only that it is true that the standard is beneficial for X, which I've never argued against. When you attempt to compare and declare X superior then you've overstepped, absent that authority I spoke to. Y's context, which you're comparing it to, will likely have a very different expectation and valuation.

And clearly you haven't paid attention.
That really isn't the problem. The problem is that you're confusing the objective truth that X is beneficial with the idea that X is objectively superior. It isn't unless you accept the premise that its founded upon, which isn't objectively, demonstrably true absent that independent authority and arbiter.

As an atheist you can argue for the king's standard, the mob's standard, the general or particular welfare and it remains objectively true that whichever standard you present will be superior for the recipient of the benefit, but that doesn't make it superior to the competitive idea, except within that confine (which itself is arbitrary).

Obviously Christendom was the problem once upon a time. Now it's not. It did leave a wake of utter destruction, but it has also (utterly inadvertently) spawned a new way of thinking and operating.
It's easily arguable, outside of the metaphysical value, that Christendom did far more good than it ever did ill, depending on your context.

Right. So, as an American, just how much of your income do you devote to reparations for the slave trade? Oh? None? Who cares.
You have to make the case I owe reparations, which you haven't. That argument leads you back across the pond and by it you can tax nearly every people against some other, earlier and dominant culture. But it doesn't have much to do with my point, noting your impatience is a bit selectively problematic.

The Islamic world is rich as [redacted]. It sits on a huge section of the world's most coveted resource. Cry. Me. A. River.
There is no "Islamic world". There are nations, many of which are Islamic. There are a great many people living in nations that aren't Islamic who are Muslims as well. At least one and arguably more of those Islamic states are staunch allies.

We didn't observe older and wiser cultures;
Yes, we did. That's literally a nonsensical thing to write. You want a history lesson? You want to walk through the Holy Roman Empire and beyond?

Stop looking for a golden age that never was.
Didn't do anything of the sort. Stop overly romanticizing the moment.

The world right now is better than it ever has been.
For those of us lucky enough to be living the life of a have and in certain parts of the world, absolutely. In many parts of the world, not so much. It's also a world more dangerously perched on the potential edge of extinction, one of our own making.

If Islam doesn't pull its [redacted] together it will get crushed. It's that simple. It might not be pretty, it certainly won't be moral, but it will happen.
And, again, the problem is with some elements of Islam in some areas of the world and not, demonstrably, with most of the well over a billion adherents.

Poverty does make people angry as all hell. Poverty is rife, and it sucks. It takes something numinous to take and angry guy and turn him into a murderer. Islam is filling that hole right now.
Numinous? Nonsense. Stalin was filled with hubris, with the foolish notion of self as the final arbiter of the good, as was Mao. They murdered in the millions in the name of no God at all.

How uniform do you think I think it is?
Nearly monolithic, to read you.

Well, while I'd otherwise love to be patronised,
Your playing that card is hysterical (either). :plain:

I'd rather you either countered my argument with something salient or presented a rational way forward.
Declarations aren't argument. Look at how I've answered you. That's argument. Supporting conclusion with fact, by way of. Noting actual problems with the construction of a contrary posit, that sort of thing.

It's not over though, there's a whole bunch of us in Europe reaching out, your middle of the road platitudes are a mildly amusing stepping stone. Everyone plays their part.
See, that's sort of your song and dance. It has the form of something but reduces to emotion and a willingness to declare against someone without making the case.

I'm not offering platitudes of any sort.

Maybe you'll do better when if you come back.

Well done you. Have a biscuit.
Maybe not. At least you managed it without cursing...so that's something.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
A planned attack on a French magazine left 12 dead, many critically wounded.

Islamic Terrorists had two cars, were organized,
used MACHINE GUNS and a grenade rocket,
brutally executed wounded police on the ground.

This was not random but a planned target specifically against
FREE SPEECH and the right to criticize religious and political parties and leaders.

This was a direct attack on the media calculated to stifle free speech
and send chills of silence down the spines of a spineless Western Media.

At least three terrorists escaped in two cars.

They used Kalishnikovs, Russian automatic machine guns.

GETTY_W_051712_AK47.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

Gunmen have attacked the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people and injuring seven in an apparent Islamist attack.
Three masked attackers opened fire with assault rifles in the office and exchanged shots with police in the street outside before escaping by car.
The gunmen shouted "we have avenged the Prophet Muhammad", witnesses say.
President Francois Hollande said there was no doubt it had been a terrorist attack "of exceptional barbarity".
A major police operation is under way in the Paris area to catch the killers. The number of gunmen was initially reported to be two, but French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve later said they were hunting three "criminals".
Four of the magazine's well-known cartoonists, including its editor-in-chief Stephane Charbonnier were reported among those killed, as well as two police officers.
Mr Charbonnier, 47, had received death threats in the past and was living under police protection.
French media have named the three other cartoonists killed in the attack as Cabu, Tignous and Wolinski. Reports say the attack took place during the magazine's daily editorial meeting.
Several of the wounded remain in a critical condition.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/20...k.cnn/video/playlists/terror-attack-in-paris/

In picture below, Islamic terrorist has already mortally wounded police officer who is on ground,
from about 50 feet away, then approaches him and fires into policeman's head at point blank range.

FRance1.jpg

150107072711-08-paris-shooting-0107-large-169.jpg
Careful readers and media watchers may find that we have actually turned a corner: The nonviolent Muslims around the world are both very, very numerous and increasingly vocal. That's good news.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Must have been Granite then. He's the only one I know who has brian power. :think:

;)

:bow:

:cheers:

Ya know, I was thinking...

Protests following the events in Ferguson and NYC were well-organized, demanding, and pointed.

And rightfully so, I might add.

If I saw anything--anything--approaching that from Muslims in the U.S. denouncing this violence done round the world in the name of their faith...I'd be impressed.

Instead, I'm left with one of four very disheartening conclusions:

a) Muslims for the most part agree with fundamentalist violence
b) Muslims for the most part are indifferent to terror done in the name of Islam
c) Muslims are playing out the string and just waiting to see how it goes (and may even sympathize with al-Qaeda while disapproving of their violence)
d) or Muslims for the most part are upset, but don't feel the need to show their disgust

If Christian terrorists killed 3,000 people in broad daylight on national TV I can guarantee Christians the world over would protest, vocally, publicly, and emphatically, that this violence was not done in their name. The pope would bend over backwards to distance his church from that kind of fanaticism.

Defending christendom, you say? Far from it. But of the three Abrahamic religions in the world, one is passive, one holds the west, and one is...something else.

I see, and hear, nothing.

Here's something Maher did say, and I paraphrase: When you get a lot of rotten apples, you should check out the orchard.

Nazaroo

Protests following the events in Ferguson and NYC were well-organized, demanding, and pointed.

If I saw anything--anything--approaching that from Muslims in the U.S. denouncing this violence done round the world in the name of their faith...I'd be impressed.

b) Muslims for the most part are indifferent to terror done in the name of Islam
c) Muslims are playing out the string and just waiting to see how it goes (and may even sympathize with al-Qaeda while disapproving of their violence)
d) or Muslims for the most part are upset, but don't feel the need to show their disgust

If Christian terrorists killed 3,000 people in broad daylight on national TV I can guarantee Christians the world over would protest, vocally, publicly, and emphatically, that this violence was not done in their name. The pope would bend over backwards to distance his church from that kind of fanaticism.

Defending christendom, you say? Far from it. But of the three Abrahamic religions in the world, one is passive, one holds the west, and one is...something else.

Here's something Maher did say, and I paraphrase: When you get a lot of rotten apples, you should check out the orchard.

I don't know what else to say to this insight, except

9964-625-391.jpg

I've never given out such a tip of the hat before,
and it surprises me I'm giving it to you.

Morpheus

Thanks TH. You stated the case much more eloquently that I could have. I was simply going to state that the world may seem to be gradually improving if one is a middle to upper class Westerner; especially to an atheist. Yet that is a very exclusive group. To the vast majority of the planet's populace it is not so sunny a picture. It would be difficult making that case to a 13-year-old in a deep, narrow, hot mineral mine in the Democratic Republic of the Congo forced to dig 16 hours/day by warlords so that we can have our cell phones, or another in a Chinese, Indian or Indonesian sweat-shop making clothes for $1/day for Western sale. Yet politics, governments and economics are never static, so another 100 years may well leave the West enslaved to China or India. Perceptions of reality are regional, tied to class and subject to change.

As an older Christian I recognize that any general perception of the world improving is delusion. Knowing where the world is going makes my understanding of the present quite different. Seeing things from beginning to end (the long view) changes my perspective on the present sliver of time that is my lifetime.

Morpheus

Must have been Granite then. He's the only one I know who has brian power.:think:

;)

Did you make brian say that?