Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

way 2 go

So...you think a person in literal flame can negotiate then...?

You're just bonkers.

:kookoo:

the rich man is in hell. :duh:

Luk 16:22**... the rich man also died, and was buried;

the rich man is negotiating while in the flames

Luk 16:24**And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame.

Luk 16:27**And he said, I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,

Rosenritter

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Is it my imagination (or fear and looking for loopholes) or did that passage actually say "destroy?" As in "destroy both body and soul in hell?" And here folk like Grosnick keep chanting that the soul cannot be destroyed....

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is it my imagination (or fear and looking for loopholes) or did that passage actually say "destroy?" As in "destroy both body and soul in hell?" And here folk like Grosnick keep chanting that the soul cannot be destroyed....

They follow the beliefs of the RCC religion without realizing who themselves are.

LA

way 2 go

destroy does not mean annihilate :BillyBob:

Rom 14:15**But if your brother is grieved with your food, you no longer walk according to love. Do not with your food destroy him for whom Christ died.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rom 14:15**But if your brother is grieved with your food, you no longer walk according to love. Do not with your food destroy him for whom Christ died.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Rosenritter

I have to laugh at that one. Way 2 Go just argued that "destroy body and soul in hell" is the same meaning as "destroying someone with the food you eat?" Is he not smart enough to realize that he's "destroying" his own argument? Why does he persist with such feeble inane responses?

I figure he worships Molech.

marhig

Why do some here think it's a natural fire? Don't you think that if it was a natural fire that the rich man would be asking for more than a drop of cold water for his tongue? If he was really on fire he'd be asking for bucket loads to be thrown over him!

way 2 go

rich man is not annihilated.

Luk 16:24**And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame.

Rosenritter

Why do some here think it's a natural fire? Don't you think that if it was a natural fire that the rich man would be asking for more than a drop of cold water for his tongue? If he was really on fire he'd be asking for bucket loads to be thrown over him!

Good question. While we are at it, why do some here figure that was really Abraham, and not a demonic apparition? The whole setting is fictional anyway, the only point to considering it is within the realm of the story being told. I don't question a movie that uses special effects as to whether the fire they use is really real or not.

Arthur Brain

the rich man is in hell. :duh:

Luk 16:22**... the rich man also died, and was buried;

the rich man is negotiating while in the flames

Luk 16:27**And he said, I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,

So, you think a man in literal fire is capable of 'negotiating' then.

You're not the full shilling dude...

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

rich man is not annihilated.

Obviously the rich man had yet too be annialated, so the picture is of an event before the casting of the wicked into the lake of fire.

LA

way 2 go

So, you think a man in literal fire is capable of 'negotiating' then.

You're not the full shilling dude...

the rich man negotiated, unsuccessfully .

Luk 16:30**And he said, No, father Abraham, but if one should go to them from the dead, they would repent.
Luk 16:31**And he said to him, If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded, even though one rose from the dead.

3oEduVObV0nnnTSDCg.gif

Arthur Brain

Luk 16:30**And he said, No, father Abraham, but if one should go to them from the dead, they would repent.
Luk 16:31**And he said to him, If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded, even though one rose from the dead.

3oEduVObV0nnnTSDCg.gif

What, was the rich man in a fire resistant suit in the middle of the pacific ocean when this parable was taking place?!

:freak:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

3oEduVObV0nnnTSDCg.gif

That has to be the most hilarious theological argument I've ever seen on TOL.

I literally can't stop laughing. :chuckle:

Every time I look at it. :chuckle: