I Support Capital Punishment

Caille

Freak said:
There are times the government screws up in their roles--i.e. creating laws in the US to allow baby killing.

and did Paul or the early martyrs resist the government or try to change it ?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Caille said:
Brandon, I know you want to play too, but the big people are talking now.
:rolleyes:

Freak won't listen to reason, scripture, or anything else. He thinks the covenants between god and His people should be applied to all people.

I used to think the same way he does, then I hit puberty. Freak is an adult. He should be smarter than this. But he's not.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Brandon, you have no clue about Freak, who he is, or what he thinks. Try treating the man with respect. I have no idea why you've been such an abrasive jerk to the man since he reappeared on TOL.

Caille

granite1010 said:
Brandon, you have no clue about Freak, who he is, or what he thinks. Try treating the man with respect. I have no idea why you've been such an abrasive jerk to the man since he reappeared on TOL.

you ever read his early threads - he is an abrasive jerk

Granite

Hall of Fame
Oh, I know. Been here long enough to know that. I just don't understand why he went gunning for Freak right away.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
granite1010 said:
Oh, I know. Been here long enough to know that. I just don't understand why he went gunning for Freak right away.
Because Jay is... well, Jay... :freak:

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Freak said:
Jesus is Lord. Everyone will bow. Satan even has to bow before Jesus!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Whoa, this thread just veered right off the road and Freak was driving!! :noway:

You have a knack for deliberately losing track of a discussion, I'll take that as a win by your inability to answer my direct questions.

I trust the Lord much more then a mere human like you. :p

When I see Him end crime, I will humbly withdraw my support for the punishment of criminals. Until then, I stand as a proponent of the death penalty and a government that is not afraid to punish and execute the worthless dregs of society.

Freak

the Sibbie said:
Sorry...jumping into the thread a little late.

But if sword means authority, there is still no guidance as to how the government should execute that authority.
Use the authority "to bring punishment on the wrongdoer" (v. 4). Not difficult, Sibbie.

The Roman soldiers were given the "authority" (the sword is the symbolism used) by the Roman government to use force, including the use of the sword, in order to exert the Roman government's authority over those that lived within the control of Rome.

As I stated earlier, the Roman soldier was the equivalent of the modern day law enforcement officer. They did not make judgements concerning the activation of the death penalty. The officers in our day, do not make judgements about death penalities either. They simply serve and protect, to maintain order

By what evidence or example can you say that "sword" is symbolic,
Let's for the sake of argument, say the "sword' isn't symbolic. In the time that the book of Romans was written the sword was carried by the Roman soldiers. The Roman soldier was charged with protecting the citizens of Rome not to carry out a death penalties on the streets with "swords."

Without God's guidence on what sort of punishment fits the crime, goverments are bound to be either too harsh or soft when meting out justice for they have no standard to follow and that standard is bound to change.
God does gives us guidance. Much could be said on this. In the Scriptures, for example, stealing is considered a evil. In our current dispension, stealing should be dealt with an "agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." The person convicted should be punished with the goal of redemption in mind. There are literally scores of options given to us to accomplish this. The goal is to restore the person not to kill them. Jesus calls the governments of the world to redemptive justice.

Let’s look at how Jesus and New Covenant believers dealt with those guilty of capital crimes:

•The Samaritan Woman in John 4 was guilty of adultery and yet Jesus restored her and did not call for her to report to the governing authorities to be put to death.
•The Apostle Paul was a murderer and yet when Jesus encountered him He did not command Paul to report to the governing authorities to be put to death.
•The Christians in Corinth (see 1 Corinthians 6:9-11) who were formerly "sexually immoral," "idolaters," "adulterers," "male prostitutes," and "homosexual offenders"--all of which were capital offences in the Old Testament, were not called upon the apostle Paul to report to the governing authorities to be put to death.

Sibbie, please tell me-- were the believers in 1st Century Corinth unjust by not calling those who were guilty of capital crimes to the death penalty??

Freak

the Sibbie said:
So it's ok for law enforcement officers to kill in self defense, but it's not ok for them to kill in someone else's (murder victim's) defense?
:bang: No, Sibbie, street cops should not be given the right to start killing people, activating the death penalty on those who committed capital crimes. There is a difference between self defense (and protecting others) and activating the death penalty for those guilty of capital crimes. :doh:

the Sibbie

Freak said:
:bang: No, Sibbie, street cops should not be given the right to start killing people, activating the death penalty on those who committed capital crimes. There is a difference between self defense (and protecting others) and activating the death penalty for those guilty of capital crimes. :doh:
Sorry, I should have said government in place of "them".

Freak

granite1010 said:
:up:

wholearmor

I'd say whether you believe in the death penalty or not depends on whether you believe God would like to see more innocent people die than guilty people.