I have an Idea for a new Christian Branch.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You cannot take the word of the Bible verbatim. I personally use it as a collection of lessons and moral stories that help you become a better person and thus in turn be working for the building of His kingdom :)

This doesn't work.

If Jesus wasn't God in the flesh then he wasn't a good teacher at all, he was a lunatic.

If Jesus was God in the flesh then your idea still doesn't work because Jesus said (i.e. God Himself said) that He is "THE way and the life, no one comes to the Father but by me."

So you're stuck with either rejecting Jesus as a lunatic or accepting him as the God he claimed to be in which case the rest of the religions are false.

Your idea sounds nice and all but in reality its just feel good, love the one you're with sort of pie in the sky, hippy nonsense.

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

Perhaps only subscribers then can do that. I thought everyone who was at least registered plus could add tags.

The thin blue letters of the screen name James Shepard shows that he is still only Registered and has not made it to Registered Plus yet.
When he is Registered Plus, the letters of the screen name become bold blue James Shepard.

genuineoriginal

Oh really so you know what He thinks? That is funny. So you are saying you know as much as God? You using His word allows you to be like Him and do His job?

You are either a moron or just very good at impersonating a moron.

She said that she knows what God thinks about judging people because she has the words that are written in the Bible that explain what God thinks about judgment.

She did not say anything about reading God's word allowing us to do God's job.

genuineoriginal

Yes but you forget, we can never be like Him. He is perfect, we are not

If you knew how to quote scripture, you could have quoted this verse:

Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

In red letter Bibles, this is clearly visible as the words of Jesus.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
James S seems to think of himself as a "pseudo-scientist?" I had
a "Science/chemical" set when I was a kid in the 1950s. It was a
bright red metal box with a small silver latch. It had an assortment of
different, small bottles of chemicals in which to perform experiments.

I wonder if James got a hold of one of those, and thinks he's a real
scientist now?

Last edited:

alwight

The Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event, or the K-T event, is the name given to the die-off of the dinosaurs and other species that took place some 65.5 million years ago. For many years, paleontologists believed this event was caused by climate and geological changes that interrupted the dinosaurs' food supply.

Homo erectus were the first of the hominins to emigrate from Africa, and, from 1.8 to 1.3 million years ago, this species spread through Africa, Asia, and Europe. One population of H. erectus, also sometimes classified as a separate species Homo ergaster, remained in Africa and evolved into Homo sapiens.
The Answers in Genesis (AiG) organisation tends to represent Christian fundamentalism thinking imo. This following quote is from their "Statement of Faith:
"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information."​
https://answersingenesis.org/about/faith/

The point here James is that it won't matter how rigorous, well evidenced and factual scientific conclusions may be, a literal interpretation of Genesis is all that matters to fundamentalists, come hell or high water (so to speak ;)).

Your first goal imo is to persuade ToL fundies that science just could nevertheless be right, that the Earth actually is 4.5 billion years old, that heavy elements came from dead stars, that the geological column is strong evidence that over millions of years life adapted and evolved in response to whatever environment existed at the time. That while there are many evidences of localised floods and ice ages but of course there is nothing to show that any global flood ever took place.

You are dealing with fundie folk who happily believe that bunny rabbits were much stronger swimmers than diplodocus, leaving their remains only in the upper strata layers after the supposed flood.
But this is where the more usual level of argument typically ends, a more scientific based more rational Christian religion really doesn't imo have a snowballs chance in hell around here anyway where wilful ignorance too often prevails. :nono:

James Shepard

The Answers in Genesis (AiG) organisation tends to represent Christian fundamentalism thinking imo. This following quote is from their "Statement of Faith:
"By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record. Of primary importance is the fact that evidence is always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information."​
https://answersingenesis.org/about/faith/

The point here James is that it won't matter how rigorous, well evidenced and factual scientific conclusions may be, a literal interpretation of Genesis is all that matters to fundamentalists, come hell or high water (so to speak ;)).

Your first goal imo is to persuade ToL fundies that science just could nevertheless be right, that the Earth actually is 4.5 billion years old, that heavy elements came from dead stars, that the geological column is strong evidence that over millions of years life adapted and evolved in response to whatever environment existed at the time. That while there are many evidences of localised floods and ice ages but of course there is nothing to show that any global flood ever took place.

You are dealing with fundie folk who happily believe that bunny rabbits were much stronger swimmers than diplodocus, leaving their remains only in the upper strata layers after the supposed flood.
But this is where the more usual level of argument typically ends, a more scientific based more rational Christian religion really doesn't imo have a snowballs chance in hell around here anyway where wilful ignorance too often prevails. :nono:

Yup they will always remain ignorant and will always have their head up their own ***. Unfortunately its like trying to argue with a toddler that knows absolutely nothing but thinks they know everything. It is sad really, there are really good debaters here but they will never know anything or be beneficial due to them discrediting such facts. It is sad. I do like these people, but they are very frustrating to talk to. They mean well but just because they mean well, does not mean they are right.

James Shepard

So say evolutionary scientists.

We have been conditioned to believe that they are old based on the view that the world requires billions of years to accommodate evolution. I don't accept evolution or the billions of years so I don't need to believe that dinosaurs are millions of years old.

I believe neither the world or the dinosaurs are more than 6-10,000 years old. When the fossils are found, they don't come with dates attached. In addition, fossils are usually not directly dated. Their age is estimated based on the presumed date of the layer(s) containing the fossil. Presumptions need to be made in order to come up with dates for these layers. I disagree with the basic assumptions for the dating techniques as presented by evolutionists.

If you are interested in more information, HERE is a good place to start.

Actually you are not far off. They are dated by the layer in which they are found and carbon dating as well as we know for an undisputed fact how long it takes carbon to decay.

James Shepard

James S seems to think of himself as a "pseudo-scientist?" I had
a "Science/chemical" set. when I was a kid in the 1950s. It was a
bright red metal box with a small silver latch. It had an assortment of
different, small bottles of chemicals in which to perform experiments.

I wonder if James got a hold of one of those, and thinks he's a real
scientist now?

Wow, I am an oncologist. I actually save people and try to keep them with their families and not causing them pain. I try my best but I do fail sometimes and it is very sad when I fail as i can never detach myself from the patients so I always feel hurt. What do you do? DO you actually do anything?