Homosexuality selected because of societal function

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No you couldn't. A person could *pretend* to like it, but that's not the same as genuinely liking her music. Remember the time that ego-driven billionaire J. Howard Marshall believed he could buy the love of the much younger Anna Nicole Smith? That worked out so well for him.
Is buying love comparable to taste in music? :idunno:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That is unclear at the moment from what I understand. One of the more prominent theories is the so called kin selection hypothesis or "nest helper" hypothesis.

http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(06)00069-9/abstract

Then there is the overdominance and sexual antagonism theory:

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-an...scover-evolutionary-advantage-homosexual-sex/

Of course these might not be mutually exclusive theories either. The second theory is based on Drosophila studies. Homosexuality may have been appropriated in more advanced animals for other behaviors such as that suggested by the first theory. Then the latter theory would suggest a theory of origin, while the former theory is an example of appropriation of something to make the existence of homosexual individuals more advantageous while also maintaining the advantage of the raison d'etre of homosexuality.

It would be an equally, if not bigger, big puzzle if a behavior that has emerged in such a wide variety of species (observed in over 1500 species) did not serve a biological function whatsoever.
Thanks for posting those links. I'm not sure I'm following though. Who is passing down the genes?
In the overdominance theory, is it that genes are carried that don't always express so the carriers do reproduce and pass it on and then certain offspring do exhibit SSB?
The experiment with flies showed more of the sexual antagonism which requires the members with SSB to still reproduce, which can still happen if the individual is bi-sexual or they simply mate with the opposite sex despite SSB.
The Kin theory, is it that the homosexuals help their kin reproduce and the shared genes keep getting passed on?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks for posting those links. I'm not sure I'm following though. Who is passing down the genes?
In the overdominance theory, is it that genes are carried that don't always express so the carriers do reproduce and pass it on and then certain offspring do exhibit SSB?
The experiment with flies...

So the LGBTQ movement is now experimenting with flies (fruit flies at that...how appropriate) to see if they have same sex desires? (I'm laughing so hard that my sides hurt).

Sorry to ruin the fun and games kiddos, but a expert on psychiatry and sexuality says that there is no 'gay' gene, in fact, he believes that a person's environment is very important.

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University and former psychiatrist–in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital, who has studied sexuality for 40 years, said it is a scientific fact that “there is no gay gene.” “Environment,” however, “is very important,” said Dr. McHugh, author of The Mind Has Mountains: Reflections on Society and Psychiatry. He also explained that the permissive sexual culture in the United States today has confused “desire” with “love,” and that homosexuality is a false or “erroneous desire.”
http://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-there-no-gay-gene

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
"Bisexuality" might be, but homosexuality cannot be, and is not naturally selected.
That's what science has to say about it; here's what the Church (the pope) says instead:
Spoiler
Chastity and homosexuality
Spoiler
2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.
Spoiler
2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.
Spoiler
2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's be fair. You can believe the scientific consensus concerning evolution without embracing sodomy.

The problem is that Sillyfile is begging the question with his defense of sodomy. His answer assumes that Darwinism is true.

All one has to do is reject his appeal to the consensus of evolutionism and his argument is naked.

And as luck would have it, scientists are obliged to reject an assertion of fact when it is offered solely on the basis of how popular it is.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is wildly harmful to the gene pool of any populaton of sexual species?

Now it is your turn, give an argument for the immorality of homosexuality that doesn't rely on the unjusified logical jump from is to ought. What harm does it really cause?

Trick question. It kills homos.

The bottom line is that God has weigned-in on this matter of homosexuality. It is vile and abominable. If you're a person of faith, you're either with Him, or against Him. Also, what you homos and homophiles avoid like the plague is the notion there are fixed moral standards, live in denial of this, deny identical arguments can be used to enshrine other perversions into man's law. You've turned from God and have defiled your nation, have only set out on a delusional fool's errand you've somehow changed the law of God and the times.

Now, I barely mind those who champion the likes of homosexuality of the world. So what else is new? It's like you don't any longer go into shock to see somebody robbed a convenience store on the news. The world is Godless and wicked, any Christian with half a brain knows this, to expect the things of God manifested in the unbelieving population at large would be delusional. I would even be quite concerned if some of you tools of the devil liked me, agreed with me, really! And it's God's place to execute ultimate judgment on the wicked, my stance, as always, to live and let live, just not in my home and not really in my face, stay in your pig pen, we're good: sadly, a lot of people won't be packing a sweater for a host of sins they love and may as well fill their cup of indignation, even.

What I do find interesting, and somewhat irksome, are you frauds, you tares, who claim Christianity out of one side of your mouths, and promote sin out of the other, enemies of God purporting to be friends of God. You're so much worse than the most flaming queer, would that everybody can see that the God you're trying to drag into the mud with you is not there, in you. But even that is no big deal, as the true Christian is led into truth and faithful to every word that comes from the mouth of God: those in error will be led out of that error. In truth, you can only deceive the deceivable, who are already lost, blind leading the blind. It merely should be pointed out we have your number, if you were to post fifty more pages of the same lame drivel of the world, you'll only have dug the ditch you're falling into, yourself, deeper. You fakes need to repent and get saved, while you have an opportunity to escape eternal hellfire.

2 Corinthians 6:2 For He says: "In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

And you are one heartbeat away from that verse passing into history, never again to be relevant to you. Think about that. One heartbeat.

Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

You may find this concept outrageous and shocking, but the word of God is not a Chinese menu. You don't get to pick what you want to believe, and redact or pervert the rest, just as there's no such thing as being a little pregnant.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Two points.
First: most pedophiles are in an ongoing relationship with an adult female.

yes, to hide their inclinations, and/or to get at those womens children.

Second: We know that pedophilia is caused by brain damage. The damage is lesions in the white matter in specific brain sections of the amygdala. The greater the brain damage the younger the preferred victim of the pedophile.

Wishful thinking, but lets say you right, that would mean all outside of normal sexual relations and attractions are brain damage which would include homosexuality.

But then again, its God who gives us a sound mind.

MrDante

My stance is consistent with what you've written. Contraception is immoral for the same reason homosexuality, bestiality, necrophilia, pedophilia, and incest are immoral.

Believing something is morally wrong is a phobia? Come on.

So you're pro-homosexuality.
You're pro-incest.

Let's keep going.

Are you pro-necrophilia?

Homophobia - an irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. It includes antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and hatred of homosexuals

Congratulations, you are a homophobe. Now the question remains is homophobia a disorder?

MrDante

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
More importantly I showed testimony from hundreds and hundreds of people showing that environmental factors (molestation during childhood, growing up in a dysfunctional family: a distant or abusive father, a overbearing mother, etc.) created those same sex desires.

I'd ask you to read the links found in the index on page 1 of WHMBR! Part 4, but trolls really aren't interested in the truth.
I did read, that is what prompted my rhetorical question.

Wishful thinking, but lets say you right, that would mean all outside of normal sexual relations and attractions are brain damage which would include homosexuality.

But then again, its God who gives us a sound mind.

It's very much a matter of lacking a sound mind, the Spirit of God, would hasten to add all entrenchment, in any sin, is simply ultimate self destruction, folly, a ticket to hell.

Of course it's so, if you said homos are mentally diseased, it wouldn't be acceptable, like they reject any fixed moral standards they don't agree with, that are inconvenient, rate their perverted lusts worthy and preeminent. It's such ultimate hypocrisy you can see right here. They claim one class of perverts should be enshrined and have some sort of legal equal protection, be accepted by society, accuse people of fixed moral standards of bigotry, while, themselves, bigoted against all the other perverts and, as if, racing to get to press the reason all other perverts are mentally diseased and need to be kept in the closet, how their perversion isn't righteous perversion or some such nonsense.

It's dumb, reason twisted into knots, just a joke.

glassjester

Homophobia - an irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. It includes antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and hatred of homosexuals

Congratulations, you are a homophobe. Now the question remains is homophobia a disorder?

No. It's a natural aversion. :juggle:
And rightfully so.

Just as I have a natural aversion to the smell of vomit.
Am I a regurgiphobe, too?

MrDante

If babies were "born gay," I wonder if liberals would support a mother's right to abort a baby for being gay.

Actually there are many in the gay community that don't want further research into the genetic aspect of sexual orientation, they fear that if an identifiable set of genes was discovered that some Christian groups would begin a campaign of euthanasia.

glassjester

Now you answer one.

You are pro-homosexuality.
You are pro-incest.
(If I am mistaken about either of these, correct me.)

Are you pro-necrophilia?