GUNS!

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Plus I forgot to mention I have 3 cap and ball revolvers, which always require hand loading. My Pietta 1858 Remington clone is my favorite firearm to shoot!

I love shooting cap and ball revolvers, I hate cleaning them. :)

I reload .45colt, .357mag, .44mag, and 12g shotgun, and I have three .54cal muzzleloaders.

My favorite gun to shoot is my .54 flintlock rifle, I also have .62 smoothbore barrel for it that I almost never use.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How long does it take to put together 100 rounds? How about 500 rifle rounds?

I'm not really the right person to ask about that. I still do my loading with a Classic Lee Loader.

UeEl9wZyabc

I call it knitting for men. For me it's about the process.

I actually did buy a Lee anniversary kit a little bit before I got sick, but I had loaned out my set of .45 dies to someone and either I never got them back or I just can't find them.:idunno: So the short version of my long story is that I still putter around with the Classic.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You have to go through the whole routine, that is for sure! I just take mine apart and give it a bath in the kitchen sink then throw everything but the grips on an old cookie sheet and throw it in the roaster on 190 degrees.

I talked to a guy who has a dishwasher he runs his through. He clams it took the bluing right off!

I reload .45colt, .357mag, .44mag, and 12g shotgun, and I have three .54cal muzzleloaders.

My favorite gun to shoot is my .54 flintlock rifle, I also have .62 smoothbore barrel for it that I almost never use.
I have never messed with a flintlock but that would be right up my alley!

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I'm not really the right person to ask about that. I still do my loading with a Classic Lee Loader.

UeEl9wZyabc

I call it knitting for men. For me it's about the process.

I actually did buy a Lee anniversary kit a little bit before I got sick, but I had loaned out my set of .45 dies to someone and either I never got them back or I just can't find them.:idunno: So the short version of my long story is that I still putter around with the Classic.

"knitting for men" is funny :) and accurate.

I use a lee hand press, have done thousands of rounds with it. I can sit on the couch with my stuff on the coffee table with that setup. I also have a hornady powder measure mounted on a square of plywood, and same with my "lee-load-all" shotgun loader, so I can use them pretty much anywhere. Dont need anything mounted to a work bench for my process.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
You have to go through the whole routine, that is for sure! I just take mine apart and give it a bath in the kitchen sink then throw everything but the grips on an old cookie sheet and throw it in the roaster on 190 degrees.

Thats a good idea

I talked to a guy who has a dishwasher he runs his through. He clams it took the bluing right off!

I have never messed with a flintlock but that would be right up my alley!

Ive heard people swear by the dishwasher for stainless guns but Im way too nervous it'd ruin something.

Flintlock is a hoot. Fun process, and challenging. I had the worst flinching problem for about a month, finally got over it. :)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Take a .308 case, neck it to .264, and what do you have?

I had to cheat with google for that question :)

A guy I used to work with had a Thompson Center .357 Herrett. I shot it a few times, lol, crazy.
(added in edit: just a related note, thats not to say the answer is 357 herrett :) )

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I am working on a new project. I am trying to make home made percussion caps. There used to be a die set on the market called the Forster Tap-O-Cap

images

that made the little cups out of aluminum cans and was filled with toy "cap gun" caps. I'm told that it worked pretty good, back in the day when you could buy caps that had a pretty good POP to them, but it seems those toy caps, at least the good ones, are no longer available so Forster quit making the device. I am working on building a die set that makes cups that are just a little deeper than the Tap-O-Cap makes so I can fill it with the tips of strike anywhere matches. I have re-filled large pistol primers this way, in the past, and they worked well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gun sales are surging again. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...les-soar-after-Barack-Obamas-re-election.html

Owners of guns have been stocking up because they are concerned about a potential tightening of regulations on assault weapons in the president's second term.

In October the number of background checks on people applying to buy guns, an indicator of future sales, increased by 18.4 per cent.

There was a similar jump when President Obama was first elected in 2008. A total of 12.7 million background checks were carried out that year, up from 11.2 million the year before, and the number has been rising since then.

Gun sales are surging again. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...les-soar-after-Barack-Obamas-re-election.html

Owners of guns have been stocking up because they are concerned about a potential tightening of regulations on assault weapons in the president's second term.

In October the number of background checks on people applying to buy guns, an indicator of future sales, increased by 18.4 per cent.

There was a similar jump when President Obama was first elected in 2008. A total of 12.7 million background checks were carried out that year, up from 11.2 million the year before, and the number has been rising since then.
Ammo prices are going up due to higher demand too.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I stocked up on primers after the last Obama ammo shortage. Plus I am a resourceful fellow.

I am working on a new project. I am trying to make home made percussion caps.

I had been wondering why viewership had been picking up again on my Improvised primer and powder videos. Over 800 views in the last month on videos that have been up for over 3 years.

u7nphPRG6JA

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Recently acquired a CCW. I'm looking at purchasing a Walther PPK. Classic weapon, don't you think?

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11416...ppk-2fs-380-ineasy-pay-117in-ppk-ppk-vah38005

Hey, a fellow "x45" poster :)

I like the looks of the PPK, classic for sure, agreed, they always seem overpriced to me, but thats subjective. I have a .380 Makarov which is very similar (heavier) and has a great reputation for dependability It used to run about 200.00 or so cheaper than the PPK, I havent looked in a long time. I dont remember complaints about the PPK myself, I'm more of a revolver guy though. If you really like that style and the .380 round, I'd go for the PPK for the extra "style" points. :) The Makarov has a lot of fans too tho. I dont know how much lighter the PPK is, but weight is a BIG factor for me concealed carry. I hate mucking around with a holster, especially if it needs a belt, so I like a light enough gun for pants hip pocket, or in winter a heavier one is ok for a coat pocket.

I have a ccw permit, I carry either a bobbed hammer snub-nose Ruger .357 sp101 in a coat pocket, or a S&W concealed hammer 340pd .357 in pants pocket. The Ruger is heavy and ok to shoot, the S&W is so light it cuts my trigger finger sometimes, but its great in pants pocket. You barely know it is there. I put bigger more comfortable grips on both of these. Stock ones were bad.

Last edited: