Good article: "Who Radicalized the Finsbury Park Van Man?"

musterion

If they're strict materialists, that's pretty much their only option. Anything and everything would be biologically "natural" simply because it is...more importantly, because God isn't.

Arthur Brain

You're just a robot?

Of course not, but there are things that are completely outside of control and if you don't accept that you don't accept simple reality. Do you think you have full conscious control over all of your senses? If I'm struck by the physical beauty of a woman then that isn't a conscious choice, it's attraction outside of my control. In the same vein, I did not choose to be heterosexual but rather just am and my attractions - romantic and physical are exclusively to the opposite sex.

Yours too. Apparently you're a robot without a brain.

Your robot analogy simply doesn't hold up. Humans are not mechanical contrivances although we're wired with certain things we don't have control over along with those we do.

Right Divider

Body part
Of course not, but there are things that are completely outside of control and if you don't accept that you don't accept simple reality. Do you think you have full conscious control over all of your senses?
If not, what is controlling you?

If I'm struck by the physical beauty of a woman then that isn't a conscious choice, it's attraction outside of my control.
Then what is controlling you?

In the same vein, I did not choose to be heterosexual but rather just am and my attractions - romantic and physical are exclusively to the opposite sex.

Your robot analogy simply doesn't hold up. Humans are not mechanical contrivances although we're wired with certain things we don't have control over along with those we do.
What wired us?

Arthur Brain

If not, what is controlling you?

What wired us?

Do you choose to see the sky as blue? Do you choose to feel pain when you stub your toe? Do you choose to feel wet when you swim? There's all manner of things about the human body and mind that are completely out of personal control. Attraction is one of them.

Right Divider

Body part
Do you choose to see the sky as blue?
COMPLETELY different. Don't try your childish tricks on me, I won't fall for it.

Do you choose to feel pain when you stub your toe?
COMPLETELY different. Don't try your childish tricks on me, I won't fall for it.

Do you choose to feel wet when you swim?

There's all manner of things about the human body and mind that are completely out of personal control. Attraction is one of them.
So goes your opinion.

Arthur Brain

So goes your opinion.

No they aren't. They're examples of things completely outside of any personal control or choice on your part. The same goes for attraction. You don't 'choose' to find certain people physically attractive. Don't tell me you've never had your head turned by someone who struck you with their beauty in life, else you can take your childishness someplace else.

Right Divider

Body part
No they aren't. They're examples of things completely outside of any personal control or choice on your part. The same goes for attraction. You don't 'choose' to find certain people physically attractive. Don't tell me you've never had your head turned by someone who struck you with their beauty in life, else you can take your childishness someplace else.
According to your examples, there is NOTHING that we have a choice about.

Who we find attractive is a personal opinion.

Arthur Brain

According to your examples, there is NOTHING that we have a choice about.

Who we find attractive is a personal opinion.

I merely pointed out that there's plenty things in life where choice plays no part. I didn't say we didn't have the capacity for choice in everything so total hyperbole on your part there.

It isn't personal opinion to find someone attractive. If a woman strikes you as beautiful then you don't make a conscious decision to find her physically attractive. If you deny this then you're just being deliberately obtuse.

Right Divider

Body part
I merely pointed out that there's plenty things in life where choice plays no part. I didn't say we didn't have the capacity for choice in everything so total hyperbole on your part there.

It isn't personal opinion to find someone attractive. If a woman strikes you as beautiful then you don't make a conscious decision to find her physically attractive. If you deny this then you're just being deliberately obtuse.
That we humans respond to physical stimuli, like light (your blue sky trick) or water (your wet trick) is NOT the same as what we find attractive. The former are scientifically verifiable, the later is not.