foolish question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
okay, i understand... you use Pharaoh below as an example, but do you have a more modern example of your god revealing himself to humans and having them reject him?
You.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
koban said:
Yes. I would have a problem dropping an atomic bomb on Afghanistan the day after 9-11.
Really??? Wow... I sure wouldn't.

But mankind doesn't have the divine power to selectively choose who to avoid killing during a war, does it?
There are times that picking and choosing who you kill in warfare isn't a very good idea.

Sometimes you just need to wipe the slate clean like we should have done after 9-11.

In the end it will cost more lives. :(

allsmiles

Knight said:

sorry about my impatience.

i understand why you would use me as an example.

i don't understand how myself as an example is anywhere near the significance of the example you presented (Pharaoh).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
sorry about my impatience.

i understand why you would use me as an example.

i don't understand how myself as an example is anywhere near the significance of the example you presented (Pharaoh).
A different example to be sure... but an example none the less.

allsmiles

Knight said:
A different example to be sure... but an example none the less.

yeah, it's pretty much a completely different ball park Knight.

could you give me an example of how your god has revealed himself to me on the same scale as his revelation to Pharaoh?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
could you give me an example of how your god has revealed himself to me on the same scale as his revelation to Pharaoh?
No.

And if He did you would reject him even further.

It isn't about belief... it's about willingness to follow. Your willingness to follow would only INCREASE with your increased knowledge of the reality of God's existence.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
my eyes opened..

the thoughts that entered my head matched the darkness of the room. black. black as the moments before rational explanations for vile things sooth the soul, numb the memory, anaesthetise the conscience. my dreams had been vivid. arms separated from shoulders by thrown blades that continued their arcs, forever filling the visions of the entities that dreamed these dreams for me. the unlucky ones who briefly survived screamed not about injustice, but about a chance at life. their most vital and honest moments came right before their very lives erupted past their meaningless attempts to hold them together.

such were my dreams.

and the blackness i awoke to comforted me somewhat. a dream can fade. ive forgotten enough of them already to know that. all i know at these times is my immediate future. my future that is besieged upon by authorities that propagate fear direct to the very core of my being. it manifests unnaturally sudden movement. mere seconds have fled before the dreams are banished to some dark recess that only sombre reflection will dare grope nervously toward. reflection, though, implies hope. there is no hope to be found here. just the savage end that has become hopelessly familiar. perhaps the only hope is that the end will be the quick one.

no. there is no hope.

are my eyes open?

a crack of light appeared that scared me more than anything else could have. the sense of the end arced down the back of me and left my extremes tinged with terror. that it was only the door and the light from the living room, fluorescent and modern, harsh and bright, yet not out of place one bit, did nothing to rationalise the dread certainty i would carry for the rest of the day. of that i was certain.

the light admitted only one thing. it showed me where the weapons were. sword, slightly smaller than usual, a brace of callers, theyd need bundling, and knives. lots of knives. already dressed i simply grabbed the arsenal relying more on luck than anything else that i did not leave a deposit to ensure their rightful return. and stumbling into the living room over a barrel of waste paper the thought came back with the pain of a bruised shin, i would only need the sword today.

for the first time in a long time, perhaps ever, i swore. i mix with soldiers and they swear all the time, but theyd never heard me swear. many heard me this time. i think i may have woken a few of them with a single word, spat contemptuously against the wall that needed painting anyway. the callers followed the word and are probably still there, impaled inches deep into something that wouldnt separate or bleed.

and for another first i had a sudden urge to eat. not only to eat, but also to wash.

and the memory stops there for here i am now. if i ate then i dont recall and regardless, i will never eat again. if i washed then it matters little now for these stains will never come free. i look to the people with me who are following the same code. we are everyone and they are no one. nothing is left. nothing remains. emptiness prevails yet it will go on eternally. and i am still there.

Last edited:

allsmiles

Knight said:
No.

And if He did you would reject him even further.

i disagree. there's no way you can know that.

you're basing this claim on a flawed comparison.

you compare me to pharaoh, but he had the very real presence of your god's power in not only his life but in the life of his fellow Egyptians. you admit that there is no such presence of power in my life, therefore comparing me to pharaoh is fatally flawed.

It isn't about belief... it's about willingness to follow. Your willingness to follow would only INCREASE with your increased knowledge of the reality of God's existence.

Pharaoh had first hand knowledge of the power of your god... i don't. you're asking me to make a leap of faith that pharaoh didn't make with the power of your god at his finger tips.

i must first believe and then i'll see the reality of your god's existence when your example is the other way around. Pharaoh had the reality of your god's existence first and did not submit, i must submit and then the reality will be revealed.

wouldn't it be more efficient for your god to first establish his presence and power and then allow us to make our decision as pharaoh did? obviously we still have the choice as your example illustrates so we needn't worry about our free will vanishing.

allsmiles

and i don't want to lose sight of my original questions, hope you don't mind:

i'm not going to answer these questions, but ask another...

why didn't the god of the Old Testament simply reveal himself to the prophets or priests or lay people of Jericho? or for that matter, the people of every other city and kingdom that the Hebrew's wiped out at his behest? why not reveal his glory to them and in a non-violent way take them over without having to shed a drop of blood?

was this beyond your god's capability? is the "power" of human denial stronger than your god's ability to reveal his splendor? we are talking about an era in "history" where your god had no problem revealing himself and making his power known.

allsmiles

as an aside, i do realize that i'm missing your point Knight... that your god doesn't reveal himself now as he did to pharaoh because of your assertion that direct revelation would only result in a greater pushing away from him.

after reconsideration, i understand the logic of that point, and within the assertion, it makes sense.

i'm an impetuous guy, in case you haven't noticed :chuckle: it's easy for me to shoot from the hip.

at the same time, examining the circumstances of the pharaoh example, i'm not convinced that this would be applicable to, for instance, Og or Sihon. and especially in light of Romans 9:17.

17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

not that i'm necessarily trying to use this passage as justification for rejecting god... hardly, but i find the acceptance to be more difficult to take responsibility for.

so, why didn't your god choose to have mercy on Og and Sihon, or Arad, when it was within his power to do so? wouldn't a display of his mercy have been more effective? the bible says the Israelites sent emissaries to Sihon and i believe to Og too, but no where do they proclaim the wonder of their god, nor does your god give them opportunity to observe his mercy.

pentatonic145

fool said:
It's not contrived foolishness.
It's a question of basic morality.
Okay, but why are you posing the question? Better yet - why are you running from God? You better start running towards him while you still have breath in your body, Fool.

I don't come to this forum to vaunt my perceived intellectual superiority over other people. I don't come here to look down my nose at people who are "less moral" or "more sinful" than I am. Truth be told, I'm probably one of the less intelligent, more sinful people who visits this forum.

Crap - why am I here?

I just think it's important for you and everyone else to know that Jesus is God and he wants to have a relationship with you. And this fact will not be revealed to you by any other man but by God himself - if you ask him. I encourage you to ask - with an open heart - God: Who are you? The answer will be irrefutably revealed to you, if you desire to know it, despite the fact that the answer may not confirm your view on theology.

fool

Hall of Fame
Yorzhik said:
I'm as devoted to my God as the Muslims are to theirs, and so I'm sure I'd have no problems killing at God's request just as they do today.

But, Fool, you have to admit, you are in the minority when it comes to a prohibition on killing kids. Most atheists support baby-killers openly. If I recall, you don't support abortion, but will you admit that most atheists do?
Athiest are a very small percentage of the population, their not the ones makeing this the abortingest country in the world. If all the Athiest disappeared, I doubt it would make a dent in the abortion numbers. I think that Athiest value life more that Thiest since they think that's all there is.

fool

Hall of Fame
GuySmiley said:
Its interresting (as a side note) to think that at the time of Joshua's army, the Holy Spirit did not live inside people and words from God came through prophets, not to each person individually. The soldier would only recieve his orders from Joshua that this is what God commanded.
That brings up another point, without hearing it right from Yaweh how do you know Josh didn't mess up? Or his note taker dropped a word or two? Ever work someplace with incompetent managment?
If I were a soldier in that army I have no doubt that I'd carry out those orders. Anyone in an army in those times wouldn't see the moral dilema, it was common practice everywhere in the world. If the women and children were spared it would be the uncommon practice. But this is hypothetical, and you are looking at it as if you, your modern self, was there.
I'm not so sure about that, in some of Josh's latter conquests he kept the breeders for his men. Also, in an agrarian culture slaves are like free farming machines.
Also, why all the inflamitory language. You act as if God ordered the babies to be cut up into tiny pieces, starting with the toes to maximize the pain. You use the words slaughter and butcher to make your point seem better. Not that it changes the subject much.
You're right, it dosen't change the subject much, unless you try to switch out butcher for "bring home" or "move to the next phase". Also, butcher is a little more accurate than "pierce" we're not talking about jewelry here.
Your OP is in the context of a soldier in Joshua's army. Whenever someone admits they would follow the orders, you drop that context and say they want to hack up babies. Its not quite the same thing. If I thought God was telling me to pick a hospital nursery at random and go chop up all the babies, I'd go see a counsellor, not carry out the order.
It's the same God, so you're signing up with the same gang that does these sorts of things and dosen't see a problem with it.

SUTG

The whole question seems to me to be just another variation of Euthypro's Dilemna. In other words, would you perform an act that was requested by God if it seemed contrary to your own idea of morals.

Alot of Christians will claim that their standard of morals comes from God, but I don't buy it. I think it works the other way around with most. They make their own moral standards just like everyone else, and then they attempt to find scripture to support them.

It is easy to say "I will not Murder because I am a Christian" since you would have never murdered in the first place. But the real question is if you would behave in a way that you would not behave if you were not asked to do so by God.

I think a better question for most of the people here is whether or not they would become a :flamer: for a year on God's request. :chuckle:

You'll notice, for example, when Bob Enyart answers questions about morality, he usually gives a line of reasoning and then quotes scripture. Well, if it is in scripture, then why is any line of reasoning given by any human relevant at all?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Hi fool. I've followed your debate with Bob with great interest! I think you made a lot of good points. I'll comment on them after I've answered your question.

If I was completely sure that the God of the universe was telling me to slaughter infants then I would slaughter infants. It sounds savage, I know. It is savage. Today I would be labelled a psychopathic killer and probably sentenced to death. I would be spit on by the church itself for thinking that God was telling me to kill babies. What I find particularly hypocritical is that the scorn and disdain with which Christians look at muslims for doing the very same thing. Radical muslims and suicide bombers think they are doing God's will in the same way Joshua was sure he was doing God's will. They are both equally convinced of their rightness and justness. All this to say that I think if you were absolutely convinced the God of this universe was telling you the same thing, your reaction would be no different than Joshua's, Osama's, or mine.
Good point on the Muslims. I've said the same thing in the past.....

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Ok, this probably will rub some people the wrong way (and I can't blame ya) but let me throw it out there....I think I'd almost be more likely to kill a baby than an adult.

:noid:

Johnny

I think I'd almost be more likely to kill a baby than an adult.
I can understand your sentiment. People equate babies with supreme innocence and so the murder of a baby is the ultimate transgression. Nonetheless, it seems like babies are less likely to suffer emotionally during the ordeal. An adult knows what is coming and fears the result. Who knows, I can't even imagine murdering anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.