Educational Gun Facts

Nazaroo

There is a glaring omission on this chart. SCOTUS ruled executing criminals was not lawful. Murder went up quickly.

Give a date and we'll add it to this chart.
I'm unfamiliar with the evolution of execution in the USA or various states...

Nazaroo

I'm with you on the gun issue mostly. But I just wanted to point out that gun suicides are one of the main reasons why some people want to get rid of them. Suicide by firearm is much easier and painless compared to pretty much any other way

I can't imagine how you can assert that firearms are painless.

In fact I think that the risk of failure is significant, with costs in pain and suffering,
as well as financial.

I doubt most suiciders are expert enough to secure a quick 'painless' kill.

The most likely painless way is sleeping pill overdoses, but underestimates there
are also risky for liver/kidney failure and possible survival.

I'm not going to recommend a detailed method for suicide, but I'm not convinced a gun is painless or reliable.

Its not a suicide 'how to' thread, and I'm sure there are legal ramifications to starting one.

theophilus

A stick:

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

:rolleyes:

Greg Jennings

I can't imagine how you can assert that firearms are painless.

In fact I think that the risk of failure is significant, with costs in pain and suffering,
as well as financial.

I doubt most suiciders are expert enough to secure a quick 'painless' kill.

The most likely painless way is sleeping pill overdoses, but underestimates there
are also risky for liver/kidney failure and possible survival.

I'm not going to recommend a detailed method for suicide, but I'm not convinced a gun is painless or reliable.

Its not a suicide 'how to' thread, and I'm sure there are legal ramifications to starting one.

I think we can both agree that a properly executed headshot on yourself would be painless, and that no one who shoots themselves plans on it being painful and long lasting.

On sleeping pills, yeah, you're probably right about that

Nazaroo

I think we can both agree that a properly executed headshot on yourself would be painless, and that no one who shoots themselves plans on it being painful and long lasting.

On sleeping pills, yeah, you're probably right about that

Now picture an Emo kid with an attention-need attempting a 'properly executed headshot'
and surviving, with everyone around them having to endure the consequences for another
50 years, including the drain on medical resources.

If you're having trouble picturing teens and amateurs handling guns, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXtBZPONSCc

Greg Jennings

Now picture an Emo kid with an attention-need attempting a 'properly executed headshot'
and surviving, with everyone around them having to endure the consequences for another
50 years, including the drain on medical resources.

If you're having trouble picturing teens and amateurs handling guns, watch this:

Im not advocating suicide by any method. I'm pointing out that people use guns to kill themselves more than other ways of doing it because they know if they do it correctly, then it's quick and painless. Obviously it isn't properly executed always, but that has nothing to do with the thoughts leading up to shooting oneself. They're just looking for the quickest, most painless option and messing it up likely doesn't cross their minds.

Lol at the video of the guy with the rifle

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This is what I wish I have not learned. If somebody really wants to check out early, other than protective custody, you cannot stop them.

TheDuke

I wonder why suicide should be a matter.

If ppl want to end their life, they will find a way. I would probably go for CO, seems simple and painless and doesn't even leave a mess behind.

On the matter of responsible gun ownership and deliberate mass killings, I absolutely agree that it's all down to individuals, there will always be idiots around and accidents happen. And if you think about how easy it is to drive a van into a crowd....

The main questions are, do privately owned guns influence crime in general and firearm related homicide in particular?
And why are US citizens so in love with guns beyond measure?

The latter is probably a combo between history and culture, and is somewhat outside of my understanding. The first one, that's the much more interesting question.

There are various studies around and they (as always) reach somewhat conflicting conclusions, so guys:

What is your opinion, and why?
Did you have any experience with crime & violence?

Personally I'm glad to live in a very safe and peaceful place where I don't feel the need to carry anything for protection when I go outside, nonetheless there has been a murder (with an "assault gun") committed in some proximity to my neighbourhood a few years back. The victim was chosen arbitrarily and the whole incident could not have taken place if the person responsible didn't have a firearm.
Now of course, this is just one case and not statistics, so therefore let's hear what you all got to say......

rexlunae

Lets begin with the following chart which puts Firearm (handgun and rifle) Accidents in perspective:

accidentalgundeaths.jpg

That chart lists guns as 0.6% of accidental deaths. But, as you know, most gun deaths aren't accidental, so they aren't in that statistic.

Here it is from a pro-gun site:
http://gun-control.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=006100

So, accidental gun deaths are 0.6%, as you say. But all gun deaths are only slightly behind traffic accidents, at 1.3% of all deaths. And we have spent a lot of effort and money making automobiles safer.

Of course, heart disease and cancer together are still almost half of all deaths, so you can say we should have some perspective, and focus most of our efforts on those. And certainly, we do. But 464,000 deaths a year is still a lot, and I think we should really try to do something about it if we can. And this starts with studying the problem.

rexlunae

I wonder why suicide should be a matter.

If ppl want to end their life, they will find a way. I would probably go for CO, seems simple and painless and doesn't even leave a mess behind.

A large percentage of the people who commit suicide need help for an underlying mental condition, not help ending their lives. I think that people suffering from legitimate, untreatable medical conditions should have access to help ending their lives, but people who just shoot themselves in the face are probably almost exclusively in need of something else.

gcthomas

A large percentage of the people who commit suicide need help for an underlying mental condition, not help ending their lives. I think that people suffering from legitimate, untreatable medical conditions should have access to help ending their lives, but people who just shoot themselves in the face are probably almost exclusively in need of something else.

Most people only have serious suicidal thoughts for a short time, and if they have to put effort into the act which delays them they will often not go through with it.

Guns are too quick and easy, allowing transient problems to become final ones far too often.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Fact: Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year or 6,849 every day. 5 Most often, the gun is never fired and no blood (including the criminal’s) is shed.
5. Targeting Guns, Dr. Gary Kleck, Criminologist, Florida State University, Aldine, 1997
Data is 18 years old.

Fact: Property crime rates are dropping (especially burglaries). The chart shows the legal handgun supply in America (mainly in civilian hands) to the property crime rate. 6
6. National Crime Victimization Survey, 2000, Bureau of Justice Statistics, BATF estimates on handgun supply
Data 15 years old.

Fact: Every day 400,000 life-threatening violent crimes are prevented using firearms.
7. Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, James Wright and Peter Rossi, Aldine, 1986
Data 29 years old.

Fact: 60% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they knew the victim was armed. 40% of convicted felons admitted that they avoided committing crimes when they thought the victim might be armed. 7
7. Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, James Wright and Peter Rossi, Aldine, 1986
Data 29 years old.

Fact: Felons report that they avoid entering houses where people are at home because they fear being shot. 8
8. Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms, James Wright and Peter Rossi, Aldine, 1986 ↩
Data 29 years old.

Fact: 59% of the burglaries in Britain, which has tough gun control laws, are “hot burglaries” 9 which are burglaries committed while the home is occupied by the owner/renter. By contrast, the U.S., with more lenient gun control laws, has a “hot burglary” rate of only 13%. 10
10. Dr. Gary Kleck, Criminologist, Florida State University (1997) and Kopel (1992 and 1999)
Data 16 years old

Fact: Washington DC has essentially banned gun ownership since 1976 11 and has a murder rate of 56.9 per 100,000. Across the river in Arlington, Virginia, gun ownership is less restricted. There, the murder rate is just 1.6 per 100,000, less than three percent of the Washington, DC rate. 12
11. The Supreme Court invalidated the D.C. handgun ban in the Heller case (2008), but the city has made obtaining a handgun very difficult via local legislation ↩
Data 7 years old;
12. Crime in the United States, FBI, 1998 ↩
Data 17 years old!

Fact: 26% of all retail businesses report keeping a gun on the premises for crime control. 13
13. Crime Against Small Business, U.S. Small Business Administration, Senate Document No. 91-14, 1969 ↩
Data 46 years old!

Fact: In 1982, Kennesaw, GA passed a law requiring heads of households to keep at least one firearm in the house. The residential burglary rate dropped 89% the following year. 14
14. Crime Control Through the Private Use of Armed Force, Dr. Gary Kleck, Social Problems, February 1988 ↩
Data 26 years old!

Fact: A survey of felons revealed the following: 15
- 74% of felons agreed that, “one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime.”
- 57% of felons polled agreed, “criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police.”
- Myth: Private guns are used to commit violent crimes
15. The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997: National Institute of Justice, Research Report, July 1985, Department of Justice
Data is 18 and 30 years old!

Fact: 90% of all violent crimes in the U.S. do not involve firearms of any type. 16
16. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, 1998 ↩
Data 17 years old!

Fact: Even in crimes where the offender possessed a gun during the commission of the crime, 83% did not use or threaten to use the gun. 17
17. National Crime Victimization Survey, 1994, Bureau of Justice Statistics ↩
Data 21 years old!

Fact: Fewer than 1% of firearms will ever be used in the commission of a crime. 18
18 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1994 ↩
Data 21 years old!

Fact: Two-thirds of the people who die each year from gunfire are criminals being shot by other criminals. 19
19 FBI Uniform Crime Statistics, 1994 ↩
Data 21 years old!

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/crime-and-guns/#note-93-5

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A stick:

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

:rolleyes:

There will be double standards in this argument. You take that back right now!