Does Calvinism Make God Unjust?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
John 8:23-24New International Version (NIV)

23*But he continued,*“You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.*24*I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that ---------------------> I am he <-----------------,*you will indeed DIE in your sins.”
The unregenerate person will believe anything about God except that which has been clearly revealed in Scripture or in creation.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Of course it does. How is one going to trust in God and his Son Jesus Christ and then believe that God predestinates people to hell before they are born? Answer is that it is not possible to have faith and trust in a God that would do such a thing.

Calvinism is not teachable and is not believable. The Bible teaches that God is kind, loving, just and merciful in all of his dealings with fallen man. "The Lord is not slack concerning his promises as some men count slackness; but is LONGSUFFERING TOWARD US and is not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance" 2 Peter 3:9.

How can a God that so loves the world that he gives his only begotten Son, John 3:16, predestinate people to hell before they are ever born? Does that make sense to you? And then in Hebrews 2:9 the scripture says... "That he by the grace of God should taste death for everyone". If Jesus has tasted death for everyone, then salvation has been provided for everyone.

What kind of a God would predestinate people to hell before they are born? Not the God of the Bible. King David probably wrote more about the mercy of God than anyone. "Give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever" Psalm 136:1. The following 25 verses all end with "His mercy endureth for ever".

The God of the Bible is the great provisional God. He provides salvation for his fallen creatures by sending has Son Jesus Christ into the world to atone for their sins. God gives and we receive. Everything that we own comes from God. It was placed here on the earth when he created the earth. He knew what we would need. Your home, your car, even your diamond ring are all gifts from God. Why would you believe that he hasn't provided salvation and that you have to be predestinated?

Today Calvinism is being subjected to constant attack. Several recent, popular, published critiques have tried to discredit John Calvin the man, or they have unfairly blamed Calvinism for the dubious politics of the Reformation era. But the doctrines of Calvinistic soteriology must stand or fall by the test of Scripture, period.*

Scripture speaks with absolute, unmistakable clarity on these vital issues: (1) Sinners are utterly helpless to redeem themselves or to contribute anything meritorious toward their own salvation (Rom 8:7-8). (2) God is sovereign in the exercise of His saving Will (Eph 1:4-5). (3) Christ died as a substitute who bore the full weight of God's wrath on behalf of His people, and his atoning work is efficacious for their salvation (Isa. 53:5). (4) God's saving purpose cannot be thwarted (John 6:37), meaning none of Christ's true sheep will ever be lost (John 10:27-29). That is because (5) God assures the perseverance of His elect (Jude 24; Phil 1:6; 1 Peter 1:5).*

Those are the five points of Calvinism. I believe them not because of their historical pedigree, but because that is what Scripture teaches. -John MacArthur

popsthebuilder

I call your attention to Post #3431 where you stated the following: "Not the prideful who claims the anointed of GOD is too the utter equivalent to the GOD who begot Him?" You don't seem to believe that Christ is part of the Godhead? Where in fact, He is, God the Son who created all that we see from the beginning of creation. Christ was born into this world as a man, however, before that, He existed in Heaven with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
I agree wholly that the Word of GOD was with GOD before the creation of the earth. I agree wholly that GOD spoke creation into existence. I believe the trinity to be true. Though the spirit and word of GOD are coeternal and the man Jesus was ordained from time unmemorable, that doesn't make the man Jesus whom the spirit of GOD dwelled in wholly and fully also coeternal as a man.

That is all.

I do not deny the trinity.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I agree wholly that the Word of GOD was with GOD before the creation of the earth. I agree wholly that GOD spoke creation into existence. I believe the trinity to be true. Though the spirit and word of GOD are coeternal and the man Jesus was ordained from time unmemorable, that doesn't make the man Jesus whom the spirit of GOD dwelled in wholly and fully also coeternal as a man.

That is all.

I do not deny the trinity.

Peace

Explain the bolded area?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
And there's nothing in the Bible that says that I have to believe in the trinity to be saved!
I never said there was! How many times do I have to repeat that?

And you're right, just saying you're a Christian means nothing, you can say you believe in the trinity too and all that means nothing, we must be born anew to truly belong to God. Without Christ and without the indwelling holy spirit we are dead in our sins!

Those who are truly Christs, follow Jesus and worship the father in spirit and in truth, they love God and Christ and obey their commandments. They walk not after the flesh but after the spirit. They are those who do the will of the father, those who lay down their lives for God to bring God and Christ to others, who show love, forgiveness and mercy, those who have soft hearts and rely on God for guidance who treat others as they would like to be treated themselves thinking of those who they meet and helping those in need. Who don't look down on others and they know that God loves all and hope that all will hear his word turn back to him.

Those who truly belong to God, do the will of God and through the spirit of truth they die the death so that Christ can live in them and through them and through Christ they hope for everyone to know the living God.
Okay. That's off the topic but I'd bet my house that you claim to believe all of that because the bible teaches it and yet, even now I can tell that you reject the deity of Christ because of the way say that true believers love God AND Christ as though they are not One.

I'm not playing games with you, marhig. I'm not saying this for effect or to be insulting or whatever other silliness some around here want to accuse me of. I'm saying it because it's the truth. Do not think that you are worshiping God if you do not worship Jesus as the incarnate Creator God of all that has been created that the bible directly claims Him to be. And don't delude yourself into thinking that you believe a biblical doctrine if you reject the deity of Christ. If you reject that God died for your sins, you reject the gospel and are not a Christian, by definition. You might as well reject the bible's claim to a six-day creation and the fact that Moses received the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai (which some "Christians" do deny, by the way).

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Just stop being high and mighty.
Stop being such a whiner.

How can you say Jesus is the creator when the Creator is sitting on the throne ---

The same way the Apostle John, John the Baptist and the Apostle Paul did (by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit)...

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is He of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who is preferred before me, for He was before me.

Colossians 1:16 For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

popsthebuilder

Explain the bolded area?

The Spirit and/ or Word of GOD was and is with GOD and of GOD. Yet not the utter fullness of GOD and by nature of or subsidiary or only partially represent GOD as human limits cannot witness the full countenance of GOD. The mind cannot fully grasp GOD. It is impossible for a finite limited thing to contain an eternal, limitless thing. Even the word thing is not capable of accurately describing it. Basically what I am trying to say is that though we can perceive the things of GOD as they pertain to what GOD has allowed us to see, none of us can know the fullness of GOD, or fully describe it. The trinity doctrine is simply a descriptor of the aspects of GOD. Using it as a basis of the substance of one's faith, either to edify or condemn, is just not a good idea. I'm glad that you agree that it isn't pertinent to salvation. To say that we, by the will of GOD, can perceive three aspects of GOD is fine. To say that there are three people or persons is flat out wrong. Even by the traditional trinitarian view; there is but one person, no people, that person is the Christ which is utterly without want for self, and only of the Spirit and Will of GOD; indeed spiritual and not of or worried about material gain or otherwise. That is the spirit of life. GOD is the Spirit of life. So describing GOD as persons or people (polytheistic), or the literal utter fullness of GOD in creation can too lead to grand misdirection, as can be seen in the faith alone doctrine, yet not that effectual faith.

Praise and thanks is to the Christ of GOD.

Sorry if long or choppy or laden with grammatical error. I have to work.

I do not mean to offend any in anyway, please, please show my error.

Peace

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Spirit and/ or Word of GOD was and is with GOD and of GOD. Yet not the utter fullness of GOD and by nature of or subsidiary or only partially represent GOD as human limits cannot witness the full countenance of GOD. The mind cannot fully grasp GOD. It is impossible for a finite limited thing to contain an eternal, limitless thing. Even the word thing is not capable of accurately describing it. Basically what I am trying to say is that though we can perceive the things of GOD as they pertain to what GOD has allowed us to see, none of us can know the fullness of GOD, or fully describe it. The trinity doctrine is simply a descriptor of the aspects of GOD. Using it as a basis of the substance of one's faith, either to edify or condemn, is just not a good idea. I'm glad that you agree that it isn't pertinent to salvation. To say that we, by the will of GOD, can perceive three aspects of GOD is fine. To say that there are three people or persons is flat out wrong. Even by the traditional trinitarian view; there is but one person, no people, that person is the Christ which is utterly without want for self, and only of the Spirit and Will of GOD; indeed spiritual and not of or worried about material gain or otherwise. That is the spirit of life. GOD is the Spirit of life. So describing GOD as persons or people (polytheistic), or the literal utter fullness of GOD in creation can too lead to grand misdirection, as can be seen in the faith alone doctrine, yet not that effectual faith.

Praise and thanks is to the Christ of GOD.

Sorry if long or choppy or laden with grammatical error. I have to work.

I do not mean to offend any in anyway, please, please show my error.

Peace

I tried and it didn't work.

beloved57

Tb

But the doctrines of Calvinistic soteriology must stand or fall by the test of Scripture, period.*

Scripture speaks with absolute, unmistakable clarity on these vital issues: (1) Sinners are utterly helpless to redeem themselves or to contribute anything meritorious toward their own salvation (Rom 8:7-8). (2) God is sovereign in the exercise of His saving Will (Eph 1:4-5). (3) Christ died as a substitute who bore the full weight of God's wrath on behalf of His people, and his atoning work is efficacious for their salvation (Isa. 53:5). (4) God's saving purpose cannot be thwarted (John 6:37), meaning none of Christ's true sheep will ever be lost (John 10:27-29). That is because (5) God assures the perseverance of His elect (Jude 24; Phil 1:6; 1 Peter 1:5).*

Agreed!

Ask Mr. Religion

&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;&#9758;Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In conclusion: there is ONLY one God, represented by three different Entities. (For a lack of a better description.)
While not incorrect, per se, the use of "entities" often leads to confusion as it usually implies, to the modern ear, mutually independent "beings", as in the Godhead comprises three separate and mutually independent beings. This is untrue. The three personal subsistences are each comprised of the one being and one essence of the one God.

The word subsistence literally means “to stand under.” Thus, this word gets at the idea that while God is one in essence, there are three subsistences—also called three persons—that stand under the essence. They are part of the essence. All three have the essence of deity.

Formally speaking, subsistence is the means of individuation of essence with respect to existence.

When defining person any such definition of "person" as relates to the Trinity must preserve the unity of God's being, include an element common to both the human and divine personality, and allows the impersonal human nature of Jesus.

We may say,

Person is an independent entity, indivisible, rational, incommunicable, not sustained by another nature but possessing in itself the principle of its operation.

Or, we may say,

The word, person, with reference to the Trinity, means the divine essence in a specific mode of existence and distinguished by this specific mode of existence from that essence and the other persons.

When we start to confuse the early church's use of the word "person" with our own notions of "person", we ultimately end up in some form of modalistic heresy. Given the baggage the word "person" carries in today's culture, I usually refer to the personal subsistences of the Godhead until everyone is on the same page related to how the word "person" is used in Trinitarian theological discourse. If we must insist on "person", then I tend to say that "A person is a distinct bearer of an essence, hence the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are distinct persons, each with His own personal attributes, while each also shares equally the attributes of deity (i.e., the divine essence)".

Thus, the divine essence does not exist independently along with the three Persons. The divine essence has no existence outside of and apart from the three Persons. For if the divine essence did, there would be no true unity, but a division that would lead into tri-theism.

The three persons (hypostaseis / prosopoi) co-inhering in the one divine nature (ousia) exist simultaneously with one another as distinct subsistences or persons. This means that the divine essence is not at one time entirely manifest as the Father (but not in or as the Son or Spirit), and then at another moment manifest exclusively as the Son, and yet again at another time solely as the Spirit. Rather, all three persons exist simultaneously, contrary to the preceding modalistic errors.

God’s essence is common to the three Persons of the Godhead, and God’s essence is not communicated from one Person to another Person. Each Person wholly partakes of the essence of God, possessing it as one undivided essence. Portions of the essence of God are not divided up to be enjoyed by each Person—as in one-third for the Father, one-third for the son, or one-third for the Spirit—instead the whole essence is enjoyed by each, as “in him the whole fullness of deity dwells” (Col. 2:9, also John 15:16).

For each subsistence in the divine essence, each of the Persons has a distinct subsistence, such that we can say that the Son is not the Father, the Father is not the Son, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father nor the Son.

Nevertheless, we can make a distinction between the three persons of the Trinity, because each member of the Godhead has unique attributes. We say the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, but we don’t say that the Father is the Son, the Son is the Holy Spirit, or the Holy Spirit is the Father. There are distinctions between them, but the distinctions are not of the one essence of God. The distinctions are real, but they do not disturb the essence of deity.

AMR

Robert Pate

Banned
While not incorrect, per se, the use of "entities" often leads to confusion as it usually implies, to the modern ear, mutually independent "beings", as in the Godhead comprises three separate and mutually independent beings. This is untrue. The three personal subsistences are each comprised of the one being and one essence of the one God.

The word subsistence literally means “to stand under.” Thus, this word gets at the idea that while God is one in essence, there are three subsistences—also called three persons—that stand under the essence. They are part of the essence. All three have the essence of deity.

Formally speaking, subsistence is the means of individuation of essence with respect to existence.

When defining person any such definition of "person" as relates to the Trinity must preserve the unity of God's being, include an element common to both the human and divine personality, and allows the impersonal human nature of Jesus.

We may say,

Person is an independent entity, indivisible, rational, incommunicable, not sustained by another nature but possessing in itself the principle of its operation.

Or, we may say,

The word, person, with reference to the Trinity, means the divine essence in a specific mode of existence and distinguished by this specific mode of existence from that essence and the other persons.

When we start to confuse the early church's use of the word "person" with our own notions of "person", we ultimately end up in some form of modalistic heresy. Given the baggage the word "person" carries in today's culture, I usually refer to the personal subsistences of the Godhead until everyone is on the same page related to how the word "person" is used in Trinitarian theological discourse. If we must insist on "person", then I tend to say that "A person is a distinct bearer of an essence, hence the Father, the Son, and the Spirit are distinct persons, each with His own personal attributes, while each also shares equally the attributes of deity (i.e., the divine essence)".

Thus, the divine essence does not exist independently along with the three Persons. The divine essence has no existence outside of and apart from the three Persons. For if the divine essence did, there would be no true unity, but a division that would lead into tri-theism.

The three persons (hypostaseis / prosopoi) co-inhering in the one divine nature (ousia) exist simultaneously with one another as distinct subsistences or persons. This means that the divine essence is not at one time entirely manifest as the Father (but not in or as the Son or Spirit), and then at another moment manifest exclusively as the Son, and yet again at another time solely as the Spirit. Rather, all three persons exist simultaneously, contrary to the preceding modalistic errors.

God’s essence is common to the three Persons of the Godhead, and God’s essence is not communicated from one Person to another Person. Each Person wholly partakes of the essence of God, possessing it as one undivided essence. Portions of the essence of God are not divided up to be enjoyed by each Person—as in one-third for the Father, one-third for the son, or one-third for the Spirit—instead the whole essence is enjoyed by each, as “in him the whole fullness of deity dwells” (Col. 2:9, also John 15:16).

For each subsistence in the divine essence, each of the Persons has a distinct subsistence, such that we can say that the Son is not the Father, the Father is not the Son, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father nor the Son.

Nevertheless, we can make a distinction between the three persons of the Trinity, because each member of the Godhead has unique attributes. We say the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, but we don’t say that the Father is the Son, the Son is the Holy Spirit, or the Holy Spirit is the Father. There are distinctions between them, but the distinctions are not of the one essence of God. The distinctions are real, but they do not disturb the essence of deity.

AMR

The trinity is three persons in one.

They are all equal and are in perfect harmony with each other, However their works are different.

The Father remains in heaven.

The Son comes into the world as the savior.

The Holy Spirit magnifies the work of the Son and works in the life of the believer.

It is heresy to confuse the work of the trinity. The Father is not the savior, nor is the Holy Spirit the savior. Christ and Christ alone is the savior.

God does not save through predestination. When it comes to salvation, God does NOTHING outside of his Son Jesus Christ. All things are done by and through Jesus Christ, Colossians 1:16-18. When it comes to the salvation of fallen man, it is Jesus Christ not God the Father that does the saving.

Jesus reconciles fallen man to God the Father by fulfilling the law and atoning for mans sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Reconciliation is worthless if it is not received by both parties. No one will be reconciled to God if they do not receive what Christ has done on their behalf.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
While not incorrect, per se, the use of "entities" often leads to confusion as it usually implies, to the modern ear, mutually independent "beings", as in the Godhead comprises three separate and mutually independent beings. This is untrue. The three personal subsistences are each comprised of the one being and one essence of the one God. You may not agree, however, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You and I have a major disagreement so far as important doctrine and belief is concerned. However, I respect you and therefore would rather maintain civility when it comes to our postings.

The word subsistence literally means “to stand under.” Thus, this word gets at the idea that while God is one, in essence, there are three subsistences—also called three persons—that stand under the essence. They are part of the essence. All three have the essence of deity.

We may say,

Or, we may say,

AMR

With all due respect AMR, I have my way of writing and others have their way of writing. We don't always agree with one another's way of expressing/articulating our thoughts. Therefore, others may misinterpret what we're trying to convey. To my way of thinking, there is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, yet, these three are ONE. As I've stated before, our finite minds are incapable of understanding the Trinity, therefore, we must resort to examples. Such as the "Egg example" etc. When Christ was in the Garden of Gethsemane, He was not praying to Himself, but, to the Father. When God the Father spoke audibly to Peter and the rest that they should "Listen to Him" (Meaning God the Son) there showed a separation of the Godhead, yet, at the same time, they were ONE. By faith, I accept the truth of the Godhead. There are three, yet, they comprise one God.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The trinity is three persons in one.

They are all equal and are in perfect harmony with each other, However their works are different.

The Father remains in heaven.

The Son comes into the world as the savior.

The Holy Spirit magnifies the work of the Son and works in the life of the believer.

It is heresy to confuse the work of the trinity. The Father is not the savior, nor is the Holy Spirit the savior. Christ and Christ alone is the savior.

God does not save through predestination. When it comes to salvation, God does NOTHING outside of his Son Jesus Christ. All things are done by and through Jesus Christ, Colossians 1:16-18. When it comes to the salvation of fallen man, it is Jesus Christ not God the Father that does the saving.

Jesus reconciles fallen man to God the Father by fulfilling the law and atoning for mans sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. Reconciliation is worthless if it is not received by both parties. No one will be reconciled to God if they do not receive what Christ has done on their behalf.

Good post.