Does Calvinism limit God?

1Way

+OL remote satellite affiliate
Half the size yet gets the same prize!

Half the size yet gets the same prize!

Z Man – Here’s the new deal. I’ll reduce the text roughly half and present the same challenge! If you comply (from a closed theist point of view) with this even smaller pint sized challenge, then you will still get full credit for so doing.

• Jon 3:10b

God repented from the disaster that He
    had said He would bring upon them,
    and He did not do it.
The open view accepts the natural literal meaning offered by this text because God learns new things, but the closed view denies that God learns anything. So, if God did not literally change His mind by not bringing the destruction that He said He would bring, then what does this pint sized text actually mean?

If you don’t know, then fine, but if you do, then surely you will simply explain it for all to see.
  • God’s word never returns void.

In vain worship and incredulous hypocrisy, men void God’s word of it’s divinely given meaning and authority.

Ultimately man must submit to God’s word.
Isa 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper [in the thing] for which I sent it.

Mt 15:6 ‘then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 "Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: 8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. 9 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’"

Ro 3:4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: "That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged."

1Way

Z Man – post 1 of 3

I spent over an hour just reading through our past posts going all the way back to the beginning. The time spent was difficult enough, but to be re-exposed to what you presented early on made me nearly give up on this effort. You are one caustic self centered
:sozo2: ... :shut: ... you get the picture.

I protested when you posted your third party post, yet despite that, I still responded to it in a very forceful and refuting way. I posted this post on Feb 19th back about 80 posts ago or so. And the reason I gave for not appreciating third party posting, was because of the personal disconnection that is otherwise maintained in a one to one, person to person basis. In that post #312 of this same thread, I posted the following which was a very “at length” refutation of that reference you posted.

So here it is again for your RE-consideration, only this time I hope you actually understand what I present to you as a start of an answer for your question. If you overlooked my long post and treated it with the disrespect you common give me, then I can only hope this time around you will do better.

In my next post, I will repost the entire post only this time I will highlight the section that was an answer that I gave you weeks ago for the same contention you give again. Also, the parts of your reference was also highlighted for point counterpoint clarity.

continued next post.

1Way

Z Man – post 2 of 3

Here is your preview guide.

In “my” point 5 I give the main arguments and is the part that corresponds most closely to your late challenge.

In point 9 the writer does what Z does by transposing issues but speaking about them as though they are the same thing. This is a very sly way to (try to) avoid the issue altogether.

Point 10 is more of the same, with the addition of the infamous bible conformity challenge for the closed theist.

Points 11 and 12 shows the way that the closed theist denigrates God’s word when it comes to passages that they don’t like. Like as though the destruction of an entire nation was not a very significant aspect of in reality of the story in Jonah, or that what was actually recorded by way of God’s prophesy of destruction was not a very central/crucial issue. The writer presented a terrible defense for the closed view as well as a biblically derived faith.

Z Man – I do not usually enjoy responding to posts via third party references, especially if they replace you input, also, this website promotes exactly what I am saying to help facilitate one on one person to person dialogue. If I wanted to read what “someone else thinks”, I would not be discussing this with you but with them instead. Not a big deal though as some use of quotations from third parties may be appropriate upon occasion, but they should not predominate or substitute for your thoughts. In this case, you present no other thoughts, thus my remark is warranted.

I take your submission in a good natured way, please inform us of “your” thoughts on the matter at some point, do you agree fully with this post, is it your tentative view, are you suspect or open to alternative views, and of course, what do you think of my point counter-points. I will quote the entire post dispersed with footnotes to emphasize, demonstrate, and promote a mindset of not violating the wider context. This will make my post longer than usual, but I believe it will promote more direct point counterpoint clarity.

www.xtristian.org said
Originally posted by Z Man

The Dilemma

(1) To the Biblical teaching regarding the immutability of God, it is often countered, "What about the verses in the bible that speak of God's repentance?" Those asking the question often cite verses such as Genesis 6:6-7, Exodus 32:14, Judges 2:18, 1 Samuel 15:11, Isaiah 38:1-6, or Jonah 3:10. What is to be said for or against these claims? How can these verses be reasonably reconciled with the immutability of God taught in the rest of the scriptures?

The Passages Examined

(2) In all of the above passages, except Isa. 38:1-6, the Hebrew word, nacham, is explicitly used. The only major bible translation that translates this word "repent," is the KJV. Each of the other translations choose the alternate meaning conveyed, "was sorry" or "relented," indicating a feeling of regret on God's part rather than a total retreat of purpose or about face (the Hebrew shuwb has the latter strict translation when speaking of repentance). This is a significant point in that the context must govern the translation of a word with alternate meanings.

(3) The chief tension then is the stark contrast of God's immediately expressed emotion with the already and clearly established doctrine of God's immutability. If God is immutable, it is argued, then why would He express sorrow at something He allowed to happen and change His actions. In some cases (Isa. 38:1-6; Jonah 3:10), individuals will even call into question the prophetic qualifications of a prophet who changes a prior prophecy.

(4) It is critical to remember, that the immutability of God does NOT hold that God reacts the same in all situations. It teaches, instead, that God is unchanging in His being, character, purposes, and promises. There can be no doubt that God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man. Therefore, as God relates with man, each moment in time may involve a different IMMEDIATE expression of His Being, whether it be wrath, anger, patience, love, or forgiveness. Rather than construe the above passages to mean that God's eternal purposes had changed, it should be recognized that a personal and compassionate God had entered into history and engaged His people with feeling and emotion. (5) God's immutability is maintained throughout the Old Testament by use of the same word, nacham, to clearly state (even in the same book and chapter as one of the above passages) that God is not like a man, who should lie, repent, or change (Nu. 23:19; 1 Sam. 15:29; Ps. 110:4; Jer. 4:28; Ezek 24:14). Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.

Reading through the contexts of each of the verses, it is clear that the eternal purposes of God are preserved and unaltered in every instance.

(6) The prophet Jeremiah well declared the permanent intent of God with His people:
The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it. (Jer 18:7-10, emphasis added) (7) In other words, God reserves the right to change how He deals with any situation IF the people change how they follow after His ways. That is God's unchanging purpose with man. (8) It is why Jonah was not a false prophet when He declared the destruction of Nineveh1, but was told later to recant the proclamation. (9) God's purpose was to bring about repentance. (10) Had Nineveh NOT repented and God spared the city, then Jonah could be declared to be a false prophet and God mutable. This, however, is not the case in Jonah 3 or any of the passages above. That repentance brings about forgiveness is one of the great solaces of the unchanging gospel of Christ. Without it, there is no gospel and a savior who died in vain.

(11) Finally, a survey of the above passages and the immediate contexts will reveal that not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people. In the case of Exodus 32, Moses pleads against God's judgment for His people by the promises of the covenant; in Judges 2, the groaning of the people under oppression is heard by God; in Isaiah 38, the prayer of Hezekiah is heard and answered by God. How beautiful it is, that God personally hears, is moved by, and answers the petitions of His people. It is somewhat paradoxical that God can hear a prayer and remain sovereign. Yes, it is a mystery, indeed. However, it poses no contradiction to God's immutability.

Conclusion

What "changed" in these verses is how God related and interacted with His people in different circumstances. (The doctrine of God's immutability does NOT hold that God reacts the same in every situation, but rather that His being, character, purposes, and promises are immutable.) It is the beauty of the unchanging gospel and purposes of God, that he should offer forgiveness (that second chance) after repentance to those that are His people. It is the beauty of the personal God, that after His people petition so fervently before Him, that God hears them and offers forgiveness to them. These actions of God are wholly consistent with His immutable purposes and promises (Jer. 18:7-10) that were willed from before all time and carried out in history. Indeed, God is not a man, that He should lie or change! Yet, He is personal and engaging and will react differently in specific situations.

Footnotes

(12) 1 Incidentally, the prophecy of Jonah against Nineveh (Jonah 3:4) does not pretend to be a complete transcript of all that Jonah said. It is very possible, in fact likely, that Jonah cried out with more than the words "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown," since most prophets preached judgement with a call to repentance. In fact the exact words of Jonah play a very minor role in the book of Jonah, as the focus is on God's call to repentance and the forgiveness that is conditioned thereon.

www.xtristian.org

(1) Obviously this is written with a biased view of what biblical immutability really is. Biblical immutability concerns God’s character and faithful ways, not that God can not change in any way. This again points to a problem of dealing with a third party communication; we are not having a mutual discussion of the context involved. God is shown to change in the most dramatic ways. Examine around the core of the gospel message itself, what happened as a result of the incarnation is absolutely central to Christianity, and the incarnation is a great example of God changing. God “became” flesh and dwelt among us. “Became” is a change word, it is impossible to undergo becoming something different, and at the same time, and in the same relationship, that not being a change. If God did not change when He became flesh, then perhaps He was always manifested in the flesh, but that makes no sense at all. God the son emptied Himself of the glory which He shared with the father, and then later on Earth He prayed to the Father to share His glory with Jesus as He had done in the past. That is a real change. Jesus humbled Himself to the point of death, that is a real change. God repenting from what He said and thought He would do, represents a change even in His thoughts and mind!

So since

we should never take any single teaching in contradiction to other teachings of the bible,

we know that one of the two must be understood differently. And to my understanding, the open view’s understanding of God’s unchanging ways is a far better fit to the entire word of God, than the closed view’s understanding of voiding all aspects of God’s word where it teaches and demonstrates God changing, even changing His spoken and unspoken mind via divine repentance. Frankly, I came to the open view by simply reading scripture and holding loosely to my presuppositions about Him existing outside of time and predestinating all individuals to heaven and hell prior to all time, etc.

I will only focus on Jer 18 1-10 especially 7-10 and Jonah 3:4&10 for the sake of brevity and clarity.

But before I move on, I’d like to make one thing perfectly clear. I am providing a godly reasonable explanation for both side’s texts of this debate, including the so called “problem” texts for my view. I believe I have no problem or proof texts, but then again, so does the other side. However, when you grant their view, and then you consider all the divine repentance teachings, they do not deal rightly with them at all. They violate them, and worse, they replace the meaning, with nothing. And that is in direct violation of what it means to rightly handle scripture. It’s ok to be ignorant about what some teaching in the bible means, ignorance is not the problem. The problem is when you say that you know that these repentance passages do not mean what they plainly say and teach. They even go so far as to say that they must not be taken literally, thus take figuratively, but, when asked to simple question, ok, if that is so, then what sort of figure is it, and what does the figure mean, they have no reasonable response! Especially in explaining what the figure means.

This wholesale voiding of scripture at the expense of protecting manmade presuppositions about God and His word is a grievous violence and should not be tolerated. Anyone saying that they know the right understanding of a text or passage, and then when asked what does that part of the text teach, what does this it mean, and they can’t tell you, such a thing represents one of the highest forms of self imposed delusion and fraud possible, it is intellectual suicide and makes a mockery of God and the Christian faith. Anyone knows that if you disagree with a literal meaning of a passage of text, then it is incumbent upon yourself to provide the reasonable explanation for what it instead means. God is wise, He knew what He said, and said what He meant.

(2) A word has no such power as to overturn it’s contextual use. Yes, the word nacham can and does mean to sigh, to be comforted, like the relief upon standing corrected or a wrong righted, and it can mean repent from doing what you said or thought you were going to do, changing your previous intended direction even unto a 180 degree turnaround. Nacham can mean all these things.

As to shuwb, strongs 7725, the authorized version translates it’s occurrences as follows

return 391,
... again 248,
turn 123,
... back 65,
... away 56,
restore 39,
bring 34,
render 19,
answer 18,
recompense 8,
recover 6,
deliver 5,
put 5,
withdraw 5,
requite 4,
misc 40;
total = 1066

So it is hardly true that this word necessarily means repentance as compared to nacham. What if the teaching uses NEITHER of these words yet still describes an act of repentance? Such as,

On second thought, I said that I would do X, but now that things have changed, I will do Y instead.

“Second” does not mean repent, “thought” does not mean repent, “changed” does not mean repent, “instead” does not mean repent! In fact, no repentance word is remotely necessary in order to demonstrate or communicate repentance! If I am loving, does not mean that I must use the word love in conveying that love? No way. The contextual meaning is the highest order of meaning, not word definitions. Words are subjugated to their use in phrases and longer more definitive types of communication, like sentences and paragraphs.

(3) Not clearly expressed by God. The clearest expression of the classic idea of God’s immutability which this writer is referring to (that He does not change in any way), is most clearly taught from pagan and Greek philosophy and myth. For a historical rabbit trail from the ancient Greek philosophers on divine immutability and how that was accepted by earlier Christian thinkers, see John Sanders contribution to “The openness of God” in chapter 2, historical Considerations, page 59–100, where he does an amazing job of objectively dealing with the historical facts involved, exposing the indelible link between the pagans and the Christians concerning the closed view. The major thematic headings include:

Greek philosophical conceptions of God,
Plato,
Aristotle,
The Stoics,
Philo: The bridge from the Greeks to the Christians,
The Church Fathers’ appropriation of the philosophical God,
The Arian controversy,
Augustine,
The middle ages,
The reformation era,
Progressive views of God,
Conservative protestant views of God,
Moderate views of God,
Concluding reflections.

It is a great read, very understandable, only a few short pages per issue, and very compelling and for many, very shocking information. I met John Sanders personally, he is a great teacher and very interesting person. So, when closed theists promote divine immutability, they are far more closely quoting Plato and Aristole and repeating their support argumentation, than they are quoting and arguing how God does not change from scripture.

(4) This is not accurately stated, and the second sentence is almost exactly what the Open view holds, especially when you consider that God’s word does not need a promise of fulfillment in order to be trustworthy, yet in Jer 18 the Potter and the clay, God teaches His unalterable right to repent from doing what He said and thought He would do. The irony of this fact, is that the closed theist says no God, you can not repent from doing what you said and thought You would do, so they allow for most of God’s word to be unchangingly true, but they reject God’s word about divine repentance saying that it can not be true, it can not happen. Ask a closed theist to list all the prophecies in God’s word that God said He did not do them, they did not come to pass, and they are completely stumped and dumbfounded. There are others, but I will focus on Jonah 3:10 as it is so concise and simple to understand, whenever he gets around to dealing with it.

Next he says
that there can be no doubt God foreknew all of the situations in the above passages from before all time, purposed them, and even knew their outcome. Yet, the beauty of God is that He is also a personal Being, who interacts with His creation and reveals Himself to man.
This is wrong on so many levels. There most certainly is doubt that God foreknew all those situations from before all time, in a number of ways. First, the passage (Jonah 3:4&10) teaches that God changed His mind and did not do what He said He would do, “God’s word says” that He did not do it (meaning He did not do His spoken prophesied destruction of Nineveh). So by trusting in God’s word (imagine that), I believe that He did not foreknow from before all time what would happen. God’s word demonstrates that He did not. Secondly, and not any less importantly, the writer brazenly asserts a time which was “before all time”, which is wrong on at least 2 counts. First, it is a logical fallacy to speak of the idea of “before” “all time”. Time is experienced through the steady logical succession of events ordered one after the other, so such terms as “before” or “since” or “from” when relating to time sequencing, are time sequencing ideas, they show an order of progression, which is an aspect of time. So the idea of God’s knowledge “proceeding” “before” “all time”, is in itself a time idea, thus violating the all time concept.

Secondly, scripture does not teach the creation of time. In fact, it teaches more like the opposite. God’s names are typically concerning some truth about Him, He does not normally go by names/titles/truisms that would contradict His character and nature and ways, yet, He is called the ancient of days, and the living God, and He who is and was and is to come, from everlasting to everlasting, etc. God teaches us to NOT worship or pay too much honor to His creation, worship Him, not His creation, yet we worship our God who is the “ancient of days”, “the living God”, etc. so these ideas of God being the “ancient of days” and “the living God” identity us with something that reflects His nature accurately.

Also, no where in the scriptures is the idea taught that God created time, or that God exists outside of time. There is time in heaven, numerous examples of this in the book of the Revelation.

Lastly, don’t rely upon a subjective issue of whether or not God is expressing emotion or not in order to argue against God changing and not foreknowing the entire future. God getting upset or comforted is a tangent issue if God actually reverses what He said and thought He would do, then plainly God changes His mind, God repents.

(5) True but only according to the biblical definition of divine unchangingness, not the classical version of divine immutability. Of special note, I saw no use of the words “not change” in the NKJV for all those examples. It seems the author overstepped his standing on this issue as well. In the Sam passage, God most clearly expresses how it is that He does not repent, and how it is that He does repent, both! God does not repent like a man needs to because of lying or doing wrong, it’s not that He does wrong and then needs to repent. It is because God learned of the new changed situation that God repents.

This may be a reflection upon a classic Hebrew language tool, parallelism. Back then, when they rhymed, they did not repeat for similar sound, they repeated a similar idea. Consider the following and see if you can catch the brilliance of such parallelism.
Pr 26:4
Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him.
Pr26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes.
See how the same wording/idea repeated, while changing it’s contextual use illustrates yet another idea that neither the one or the other could convey without them both being set in contrast to each other. There are two basic ways to answer a fool, one is according to his folly, and the other is according to his folly. :think: You the reader must discern the unspoken implied meaning of each. Absolutely brilliant. Consider, Pharaoh (first) hardened his heart, and God hardened his heart with the many miraculous plagues defying Pharaoh’s power hungry control and defiance against God. If Pharaoh would have repented and obeyed God, then God would have been glorified, so God did not force Pharaoh to be evil, He has no problem stating things in such a way as to make you use righteous understanding about what God is talking about.

Ok, so here’s a case that might be using an extended form of parallelism, but not nearly as pointed and clear as compared to the fool and his folly passage.
Please also read this section, it’s supposed to be good for ya. :eek:

1Sa 15:11 It repenteth <05162> me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night.
1Sa 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent <05162>: for he is not a man, that he should repent <05162>.
1Sa 15:35 And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented <05162> that he had made Saul king over Israel. (KJV)
Same word used of God repenting three times in this passage, all within the space of just 20 verses. Two showing going doing nacham, and one showing He will not do nacham. Very interesting, so that does not settle anything, lets look at the contextual development over what God is said to be nachaming about.
Please also read this section, it’s supposed to be good for ya. :eek:

“1Sa 15:8 He also took Agag king of the Amalekites alive, and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword. 9 But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep, the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, and all that was good, and were unwilling to utterly destroy them. But everything despised and worthless, that they utterly destroyed.”

“10 Now the word of the LORD came to Samuel, saying, 11 "I greatly regret <05162> that I have set up Saul as king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night. 12 So when Samuel rose early in the morning to meet Saul, it was told Samuel, saying, "Saul went to Carmel, and indeed, he set up a monument for himself; and he has gone on around, passed by, and gone down to Gilgal." 13 Then Samuel went to Saul, and Saul said to him, "Blessed are you of the LORD! I have performed the commandment of the LORD." 14 But Samuel said, "What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear?" 15 And Saul said, "They have brought them from the Amalekites; for the people spared the best of the sheep and the oxen, to sacrifice to the LORD your God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed." 16 Then Samuel said to Saul, "Be quiet! And I will tell you what the LORD said to me last night." And he said to him, "Speak on." 17 So Samuel said, "When you were little in your own eyes, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the LORD anoint you king over Israel? 18 "Now the LORD sent you on a mission, and said, ‘Go, and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are consumed.’ 19 "Why then did you not obey the voice of the LORD? Why did you swoop down on the spoil, and do evil in the sight of the LORD?" 20 And Saul said to Samuel, "But I have obeyed the voice of the LORD, and gone on the mission on which the LORD sent me, and brought back Agag king of Amalek; I have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 21 "But the people took of the plunder, sheep and oxen, the best of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice to the LORD your God in Gilgal." 22 Then Samuel said: "Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."”

“24 Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. 25 "Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD." 26 But Samuel said to Saul, "I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel." 27 And as Samuel turned around to go away, Saul seized the edge of his robe, and it tore. 28 So Samuel said to him, "The LORD has torn the kingdom of Israel from you today, and has given it to a neighbor of yours, who is better than you. 29 "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. <05162> For He is not a man, that He should relent." 30 Then he said, "I have sinned; yet honor me now, please, before the elders of my people and before Israel, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD your God." 31 So Samuel turned back after Saul, and Saul worshiped the LORD.”

“32 Then Samuel said, "Bring Agag king of the Amalekites here to me." So Agag came to him cautiously. And Agag said, "Surely the bitterness of death is past." 33 But Samuel said, "As your sword has made women childless, so shall your mother be childless among women." And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the LORD in Gilgal. 34 Then Samuel went to Ramah, and Saul went up to his house at Gibeah of Saul. 35 And Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul, and the LORD regretted <05162> that He had made Saul king over Israel.” (1Sa 15:8-35 NKJV)
See, God was not just sorry that He made Saul king, God made him king, and then God nacham’ed against His doing so and took the kingship away from Saul. God reversed His decision to have Saul as King.

Sorry, I repented from doing what I said I would do. I went against my word to only focus on Jonah, and this is primarily why, the context is that important to develop, but it takes up so much more space to cover, please forgive this indulgence, but it serves wonderfully to promote righteous bible understanding when you don’t violate the context. That the truth may set you free. But oh what a long post this will be. :eek:

The writer said
Rather than assume that these authors had never read one another (which is impossible in the case of Samuel, who wrote both 1 Sam 15:11 and 15:22) and mistakenly contradicted each other, it is more reasonable to build an understanding that harmonizes the passages.
That is a tremendous falsification. But to the point, what is he talking about in verse 22? I think he might mean 23 instead, but I’m not sure. :think:
1Sa 15:11 "I greatly regret that I have set up Saul [as] king, for he has turned back from following Me, and has not performed My commandments." And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the LORD all night.

1Sa 15:22 Then Samuel said: "Has the LORD [as great] delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, [And] to heed than the fat of rams. 23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king."

1Sa 15:29 "And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. For He [is] not a man, that He should relent."
Such a comparison shows no contradiction, let alone a problem with Open theism and divine repentance. If he meant verse 29, then that is also not a contradiction. These separate verses show God saying how He does and does not repent. He repents like this, but not like that. Total harmonization without voiding scripture of any meaning.

(6) What emphasis added? But bravo for quoting God for His teaching on this issue. Perhaps the most accurate truth presentation he made.

(7) This is misleading and vague, because I would say the exact same thing concerning the open view, we must continue on to see what this writer is trying to convey.

(8) Totally wrong. The reason why Jonah is not considered a false prophet, is because He spoke the word of God faithfully and true. The record that we have in God’s word is faithful and true, God said that He did not bring the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it. God explained that it was within God and because of the change from Nineveh that He changed, and the truthfulness of Jonah was what kept Jonah from being a false prophet, not something else. Yet still the writer’s development so far is not far from what any open theist would say happened. We must read on to understand where this writer is coming from and means to convey.

(9) And here we find the whole issue, the writer is “trying” to pass off a transposition of concepts. He is switching

God’s eternal plans and desire for men to repent, i.e. God is redemptive and merciful to all who love and obey Him, and opposes those who do not.
(God is the same, He learns nothing)

With God not doing what He said He would do.
(God responds to what He learns, He changes His mind.)

Both are divine truths, but the two are not the same issue. We are concerned about the question of God preknowing the entire future or not, not if God’s character is faithful and true. We must focus on the mind of God, whether or not He changes His mind and does not do what He said He would do, and that is exactly the case in point!

(10) Here the writer lets it all hang out as gross and wrong as could be. If a prophet speaks the truth and doesn’t speak presumptuously, and God follows through with the prophesy that He truly said He would do, that is no reason to judge against the prophet no matter their repentance or not. The prophet is not held responsible for whatever changes take place after truthfully speaking for the Lord. So this claim is unfounded and contrary to scripture. As to God being impugned because of punishing a repentant people, that is a good point, yet again, this fully supports the open view, not argues against it. We accept a God who adjusts for “altering circumstances”, it is the closed view says that God makes no adjustments, it is all preknown and unalterable, God’s response is thus perfectly unalterable. So we see that the writer conveniently switches from examining what God said He would do and then did not do, to God’s eternal purpose and ways. The two are not the exact same issue, as though the only righteous presupposition is that God foreknows all things, thus for God to learn something new is completely unbibilical and does not even enter his contemplation during his explanation of the passage. Yet God be true and every man a liar, God did not do what He said He would do.

Lastly, I restate my challenge to all closed theists. Any time you void the passage of meaning, you MUST replace it with a reasonable meaning instead. Here the writer does no such thing. I’ll quote you verse 10 God’s version, and then I will quote you verse 10 the closed version.
[size=4.5]Jonah’s Nineveh prophesy[/size]
(God’s meaningful version)

Jon 3:10 Then God saw their works,
that they turned from their evil way;
and God relented from the disaster
that He had said He would bring upon them,
and He did not do it.
[size=4.5]Jonah’s Nineveh prophesy[/size]
(Man’s meaningless closed view version)

Jon 3:10 .. ? .. God .. ? .. their works,
..?.. they turned from their evil way;
and God ? ... ... ? ... ... the disaster
... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... ? ... upon them,
and He
...?...?...?.

More plainly, when you say

that God did not change His mind
implying that God did do what He said He would do,

then verse 10 is a meaningless contradiction to that idea. If the closed theist’s idea is true, that God never changes and always does what He says or thinks He will do, then what does verse 10 mean if it does not mean the exact opposite of that idea? :think:

The silence is deafening.

(11) This writer is using a ploy that is sometimes convincing but at it’s foundation is deceitful. He is taking on our arguments and phraseology and doing his best to make them work for him. Sometimes this is a good thing to do, especially if you do it properly. Here the writer presents direct contradiction to his own view. He says
not only does the behavior of the people change and bring about an alternate disposition of God, but there is in many of the cases petition made before God by one of His people.
He teaches that God has only ONE UNALTERABLE plan, only one unchanging will, so for God to have an “alternative” response to the one He already gave, is complete disharmony to everything he has been saying. And yet it is consistent that he is transposing God’s divine repentance away from doing what He said or thought He would do, with His unchanging eternal ways. God planned to destroy Nineveh, but then after they repented, God repented from bringing the destruction which he said He WOULD bring, and He did NOT do it. “God” said that He did not do what He said He would do. And He did that to remain faithful to His unchanging ways and righteousness and mercy, etc. The biblical doctrine of divine repentance is the right solution and refutes closed theism completely.

Somewhat paradoxical? God says after the fact, that He did not do what He said He would do, and this writer only see’s no change in God in that, no change in intentions, no change in what He said He would do, even thought God’s commentary on the Jonah prophesy was that He repented from bringing the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it. That is God’s word, it is meaningful and true, and this write did nothing but void that change in God’s intentions and replaced it with nothing.

When God said that He did not bring the destruction that He said He would bring, and He did not do it, the writer is asking you forget all about that stuff, and just remember that God is merciful and gracious towards those who repent and honor God. He has addressed the teaching, but voided it of meaning, and replaced it with nothing. It is a disgrace.

(12) But what Jonah did say was scripturally correct, you can not invalidate the truth God decided to preserve in His word. Same with verse 10 which is God’s commentary on His own prophetic word which He repented from doing and is in my opinion a clear demonstration or fulfillment of Jer 18 the Potter and the clay where God reserves the right to repent of what He said and from what He THOUGHT He would do. God repenting, and not doing what He previously thought He would do, leaves precisely zero room for closed theism. It is anti-biblical, instead, the bible teaches plainly a living changing rationally mutable God who does indeed learn new things.

God’s word is true, don’t violate scripture.
:thumb:

continued next post.

1Way

Z Man – post 3 of 3

This was your response to my post, in your post #314 you said
Nice post. I know it took a lot of your time. I don't know where you manage to obtain all that free time!
and then went about not answering one single point I made, so of course you were nicer to me then. But then after a few more posts where you continued to avoid my post in question, I asked you to respond to my large post, and this is what you said in post #327
Ummm..it's obvious that you're whole post is crap. You could of summed all of it up in one sentence:

God is limited by human will.
That is Z Man for you, he can’t stand actually going through an objective hearty serious point counter point response, but then if you chide him for being personally offensive and evasive, he rails against you for shrinking from the debate.

You violate God’s word openly and you refuse to allow yourself to be held accountable by those who find you in offense, you just say you are fine there is no need for you to correct your response to the bible conformity challenge of not violating nor voiding scripture.

You should know better. You know that I presented a biblically correct and conforming way of explaining a non-literal text in the case of the word hate(d), you gave NO refutation of what I offered because you know what I did was right and was strictly based on God’s revealed word as demonstrated. Yet when I asked you to present such similar mature accurate serious response to why God’s word should not be understood literally when it shows that He repents from doing what He said or thought He would do, you don’t even try to comply, you just say that God does not change His mind, man changed God did not, so there is nothing more to it for you, you just relegate divine repentance issue into the unimportant strange and unknowable aspects of God and His word. But the fact is that you have been given the truth from God’s word and how you should stand corrected and trust and believe it even though it contradicts your own false closed view preconceptions.

Your good =’s your crap,
your agreement =’s your disagreement,
for you God repenting and
not doing what He said He would do =’s Him doing what He said He would do.

After all that, I began to seek your direct response to 2 of the most clear cases of divine repentance, and in post #339 I said
One biblical requirement, don't nullify/contradict God's word.

Two simple biblical examples of many that falsify the closed view.
yet to date, and after putting up with many rude slanders against me for avoiding the debate and such, the fact is that you shrink from responding to such a simple godly precept. The closed view has turned you into an unbiblical mess. When you get to heaven, God will not be changing His tune to match your presuppositions. If you will not be held accountable here, it will be no better for you up there. So loosen up the stiff neck, stop the petty subjective aversions, we are all on the same team, this can be fun and even joyful, and whenever someone asks you to be held accountable for contradicting scripture, it should be to your joy to have to undergo such scrutiny to ensure that Christians do not contradict nor void scripture of meaning and authority. A bible believing Christian would have it no other way.

Don’t forget to put about 30 seconds into your devotional schedule, carefully reading the second half of Jonah 3.10 and pondering it may take as much as 1 minuet our of your life. Looking forward to your reasonable, God honoring response.

One more thing, I admit that my response may not answer all your questions, especially about all your passages, but, it is a start, and one you have not responded to yet.

Last edited:

geralduk

The 'argument' as to a 'closed' veiw or an 'open' veiw is a snare of the devil.
To have the people of God waste thier time shouting from two extremes at one another rather than contend for the WHOLE BIBLICAL veiw which INCLUDES mans free will and Gods soverienty over all.
its the VEIW and CONCEPT of God that is WRONG from which all else flows.
We are NOT to seek MANS LIBERTY closed or otherwise but GODS rightousness and HIS kingdom.
if there is a KING then there are SUBJECTS.
if then we rebell against that KING in whos kingdom we say we are IN.
Then are we HIS at all!?

and in truth is it not written that "HIS life was the LIGHT OF MEN and who enlightens every man that cometh into the world"
if then the LIFE of CHRIST while on this earth is THE LIGHT why on EARTH do men then 'argue' interminably over those things from an INTERLECTUAL level and more with MANS wisdom than Gods.
For if you TRULY sought to RESOLVE the 'apparant' contradictions in the opposing camps.
Then you need look NO FURHTER than the LIFE of CHRIST.
and PUT ALL YOUR 'ARGUMENTS' up to the LIGHT of HIS life.
and you will see wetyher or not your 'argument' is valid or not.
and if so HOW it can be resolved or harmonised with valid 'opposing' ones.
and so it can IF you know in ANY measure Him who was BORN,LIVED,DIED AND WAS FRESURECTED AND WILL COME AGAIN ................"ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES"!

Of course if you do not and or are unwilling to let the HOLy SPIRIT LEAD you "to a knowledge of the truth" then by this time next year (if HE has not come)you will STILL be 'arguing' and justyfying yourselves by them.
to the detrement of your souls. and of any faith in God.

He IS coming soon!
and that is AS DEFINATE AND AS CERTAIN as a thing can be.
Wether man beleives int he open veiw or not!
The question is will ANY be READY!?

Z Man

Re: Re: Re: Ya have God’s word, and man’s word,,, the difference is clear

Re: Re: Re: Ya have God’s word, and man’s word,,, the difference is clear

1Way,

It's simple, really. Just tell me how you reconcile the verses I presented with the one you hold so dearly important.

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

Job 42:1-2
Then Job answered the Lord: "I know that thou can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted."

Psalm 115:3
Our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.

Psalm 135:6
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.

Is 14:24,27
The Lord of Hosts has sworn: "As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand....For the Lord of Hosts has purposed, and who will make it void? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?"

Is 46:9-11
"Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My council shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose, calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my council from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.' "

Is 55:11
"So shall my Word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but is shall accomplish that which I purpose, and prosper in the things for which I sent it."

Jer 32:17
" ' Ah Lord God! It is thou who has made the heavens and the earth by thy great power and by thy outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for thee.' "

Daniel 4:35
All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing; and He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand or say to Him, "What are you doing?"

1Way

Have ears 2 hear & soft heart 2 believe&hope & treat others as U desire 2 be treated

Have ears 2 hear & soft heart 2 believe&hope & treat others as U desire 2 be treated

Brother Z Man - I don’t hold more dearly one part of God’s word over another, personal “flattery” will get you no where. I don't need to reconcile scripture to scripture from my point of view because the entire bible is in perfect harmony.

You could be more helpful and specific about the problem you are having in understanding my answers and responses to your posts.

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Has 1way turned into BOTH ways now???

I doubt it, but would love to see the "attempt" if it could be held to one large post per scripture...

Z Man

1Way,

Your belief that God repents and changes is in contridiction to what scripture teaches us, mainly all the verses that I have presented that refute your false claims. You keep mentioning that verse in Jonah, and I gave my explanations for it, taking into context the whole bible and realizing that God does not change as you say he does. Your support for this false belief seems to be heavily relied upon by that verse in Jonah. But you seem to toss out the ones I have presented.

It's simple, really. Just tell me how you reconcile the verses I presented with the one you hold so dearly important.

I don't want a book, and I don't want a lecture on sematics or how to interpret the bible your way. All I want is to know how you deal with the scriptures that contridict the false claims you believe in that state God changes. Those scriptures I have presented still stand, but you seem to ignore them. I can see why....

1Way

This can go one for ever! What a deal

This can go one for ever! What a deal

Z Man – Gee, I wonder why I feel like I’m talking to a wall. Your consistent unresponsiveness is consistently noted. I have recently and else where answered your question dozens of times (over the years) and since you do not answer my simple question, and since you violently contradict God’s word and expect everyone to accept it, and that somehow you will treat my words with more respect than you do God’s word, we are obviously at an impasse. Course, you know this, but your plan does not work, we are all still waiting for you to set it down in black and white for all to see, if God did not literally mean that He repented, then brother Z, what did those words mean?

:darwinsm: Here’s Z Man = :dunce: duh, it means that He did not repent, ah, yep, that is what Him repenting means. :chuckle:

With a routine like that, no one would trust you with a wooden nickel. Not only are you not trustworthy, your also a very “unpleasant” and often rude, yet God made you that way so your happy with yourself, same with the murder I suppose since God made him/her that way too. But that is mostly beside the point.

You could however, remedy this situation by finally dealing with the meaning of a few little godly words, not like you have displayed enough personal integrity to follow through with what you said you would do, but it’s worth a shot.

If you comply (from a closed theist point of view) with this even smaller pint sized challenge, then you will still get full credit for so doing.

• Jon 3:10b

God repented from the disaster
    that He had said He would bring
    upon them, and He did not do it.
The open view accepts the natural literal meaning offered by this text because God learns new things, but the closed view denies that God learns anything. So, if God did not literally change His mind by not bringing the destruction that He said He would bring, then what does this pint sized text actually mean?

If you don’t know, then fine, but if you do, then surely you will simply explain it for all to see.

• Isa 55:11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper [in the thing] for which I sent it.

Mt 15:6 ‘then he need not honor his father or mother.’ Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 "Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying: 8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. 9 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’"

Ro 3:4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: "That You may be justified in Your words, And may overcome when You are judged."

God’s word never returns void.

In vain worship and incredulous hypocrisy, men void God’s word of it’s divinely given meaning and authority.

Ultimately man must submit to God’s word.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
ZMan's verses in context do not contradict the Open View, but are embraced by it. Other verses do contradict the closed view.

1Way

_________________Jon 3:10b

__________:darwinsm: Z Man = :dunce: duh,

__God repented from the disaster that He
__had said He
would bring. That actually means
__that He did
not repent from doing what He
__said He
would do.

__Here’s why, it’s because He
did do what He
__said He
would do, yep, it’s really simple, that
__“is” what those words “actually” mean.

__Obviously God did not repent and change
__His previous intended course of action. :chuckle:

__And, du, :eek: would you like to buy some
__insurance or swamp land in Florida?

_________God is true :cloud9: and
_________Z Man :freak: is :eek: false :dunce:

Last edited:

smaller

BANNED
Banned
Oh, yeah...1Way really dug into those OTHER TEXTS to show the HARMONY of his devices....

NOT!

And then follows it up with this kind of nonsense:

"God is TRUE and Z man is FALSE????"

The only "god" is true statement that 1Way will accept is that 1Way IS GOD.

He is a "good?" example of his own "freewill" doctrine however.

PERHAPS godrulz can come to his rescue??? I am still laughing at that one:

God is Powerful Enough to INSURE the outcome of any event, yet NOT KNOW it in advance.

hahahahahahaha....lol

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The things that God does ensure will come to pass by His ability/power are known to God. smaller can stop laughing now for his misrepresentation of our beliefs.

The other motif in Scripture is that there are some mundane and moral choices that are genuinely free and not interfered with by God. Logically, contingent choices are only known as a possibility before they are made (i.e. from trillions of years ago) and as a certainty/actuality when they come into existence after the free will choice. God knows reality as it is. This is not a deficiency for an omniscient being (to think otherwise is a logical contradiction or absurdity similar to the false idea of God creating a rock so heavy He cannot lift it).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ya have God’s word, and man’s word,,, the difference is clear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ya have God’s word, and man’s word,,, the difference is clear

Z Man.... this is WAAAAYYYY to easy.

(I hope 1Way doesn't mind me responding) :)

1Way,

God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?
No question! If God says He is NOT going to repent or if God makes a promise He is more than capable of holding to His word. But that certainly doesn't mean He can't repent if he so chooses.

In other words...
God is a person of His word (so to speak). If He says He will not repent of a certain judgment or decision you can count on Him holding to that word.

Then Job answered the Lord: "I know that thou can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted."
God can do as he pleases. And if you think about it this verse refutes your position hat God cannot repent.

After all who are you to claim God cannot do something?

If God purposes that He will repent who are you to thwart God's purpose?

And it pleases God to repent and change His mind in certain situations. Is Z Man arguing FOR or AGAINST the open view??????? :think:

Psalm 135:6
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, in heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps.
The Lord can do whatever He pleases EXCEPT the things Z Man says He can't :rolleyes: .

Is 14:24,27
The Lord of Hosts has sworn: "As I have planned, so shall it be, and as I have purposed, so shall it stand....For the Lord of Hosts has purposed, and who will make it void? His hand is stretched out, and who will turn it back?"
Who will make it void??? Z Man will!

For instance.... Z Man will make the following verse void:

Jeremiah 18:7 “The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 “if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 “And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 “if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

God has purposed and planned that He can and will repent in certain circumstances yet Z Man attempts to make God's word VOID by claiming God cannot do what God has purposed.

Is 46:9-11
"Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My council shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose, calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my council from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.' "
God can "bring things to pass" no argument here! (one of the strongest open view verses in the Bible by the way)

Is 55:11
"So shall my Word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but is shall accomplish that which I purpose, and prosper in the things for which I sent it."
And God's word states He can and often does repent, relent and change His mind. So tell me again who is rendering God's word void???? :think:

Jer 32:17
" ' Ah Lord God! It is thou who has made the heavens and the earth by thy great power and by thy outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for thee.' "
Nothing is too difficult for God Z Man!!! NOTHING!!! As in no "thing" is too difficult fo God! Yet Z Man claims that the ability to change ones mind is out of the realm of possibility for God. :nono:

Daniel 4:35
All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing; and He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay His hand or say to Him, "What are you doing?"
Of course God does according to His will!

And many times... it is His will to change, repent or relent, who are you to tell Him otherwise???

Z Man

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ya have God’s word, and man’s word,,, the difference is clear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ya have God’s word, and man’s word,,, the difference is clear

LOL!!!

1 Way,
This is pathetic! Why can't you tell me how you reconcile the verses I presented with your views? What is so hard about it? Why did Knight have to take up your slack?
Originally posted by Knight

Z Man.... this is WAAAAYYYY to easy.

(I hope 1Way doesn't mind me responding) :)

1Way,

No question! If God says He is NOT going to repent or if God makes a promise He is more than capable of holding to His word. But that certainly doesn't mean He can't repent if he so chooses.

In other words...
God is a person of His word (so to speak). If He says He will not repent of a certain judgment or decision you can count on Him holding to that word.
Knight,

First of all, I want to congragulate you for having the courage and the knowledge to respond to a question originally intended for 1 Way. But since he is not mature enough to handle the question, I guess a response from you can do no harm.

I don't know if you read my comments regarding God repenting or not, but here they are, just in case:
I believe that when God repents, it does not change who He is. God can't change. That's common sense logic. Think about it for a second. What does everyone in the world strive for? When an author writes a piece of literature, what do they do to their first draft before actually publishing it? They revise it several times! Technology, people, ideas, businesses; everything here on earth strives to be perfect. We all want to reach that next step, whether it be in our personal lives, or in our workplaces. In everything we do, we strive for perfection. Thus, change is only neccessary when there is a flaw. God has no flaw within Himself. He is the definition of perfection. He has no need of change. What would He change to? Is there anything better than Him that He could conform to? Is there something least that God needs to change to? Of course not. God is perfect, thus He does not change. That's just simple elementary logic.

But the Bible is very clear, as you have so pointed out, that God does repent. But, we can not forget that the Bible does not contridict itself. Numbers tells us that:

God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should REPENT. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

Why does man repent? To change from their sinful ways in order to strive for perfection. It's an action that is necessary for man because they are not perfect. But the bible clearly tells us that God does not repent like man. He does not need change.

So what does it mean when there are other verses that speak of God repenting? I've already tried to explain my point of view on this issue, but I don't think you understood me. So I'll try and explain it again. I'll use the Jonah and Ninevah story as an example, since you seem to like that one the most. Ok, through Jonah, God said that He would destroy Ninevah IF they did not repent. That if is the key word here. God issued His decree and the consequences of Ninevah's outcome IF they did not repent. God did not make this decree in ignorance of not knowing what Ninevah would do. In fact, God made the statement because He knew exactly what the city of Ninevah would do if they heard such a thing from Him through the prophet Jonah! And what did they do? They repented! That's exactly what God wanted them to do. And because they did repent, God repented from Ninevah His wrath. God didn't change; Ninevah did. And that's exactly what God had ordained.
God can do as he pleases. And if you think about it this verse refutes your position hat God cannot repent.

After all who are you to claim God cannot do something?

If God purposes that He will repent who are you to thwart God's purpose?
I think you misunderstand my position on God repenting. I believe He does so, but not because He believes He needs to change to conform to our wills. God repents to bring about His purposes. He threatened Ninevah because He had ordained them to repent, which they did. The repented because God threatened them. After they repented, God's wrath was no longer needed against them, so He repented of it. In no way does that mean that God "changes", or was unaware that they would repent and was "caught off guard", sort of speak. The ultimate purpose God had ordained was the repentance of Ninevah, which took place just as He had ordained.

Our definition of repentence is what is different here. In context of what Numbers 23:19 tells us, and the other scriptures I have presented, I do not believe that there is any reason for God to "change". If He says He is going to do something, then it's going to happen. As Job said, there are no purposes of His that can be thwarted. Stating that God repents because He realizes that He needs to change due to an unforseen action taken place by man means that God's original purpose was thwarted by man. The bible denies this false claim.
And it pleases God to repent and change His mind in certain situations. Is Z Man arguing FOR or AGAINST the open view??????? :think:
Umm... I'm not necessarily arguing for or against any view. I'm simply showing biblical scripture that denies the false claims that God needs to change for man. He doesn't do whatever we please, but rather, He does as HE pleases.
The Lord can do whatever He pleases EXCEPT the things Z Man says He can't :rolleyes: .
God can't sin, thus He has no need to repent, or change in any way. His purposes are what are carried out, not mine. He doesn't "repent" to satisfy me, but to satisfy His purposes. No purposes of His can ever be thwarted. No man can ever "surprise" God and force Him to repent of His original intended purposes. Everything He does is His purpose.

That's biblical, and I've presented the evidence for my position.
Who will make it void??? Z Man will!

For instance.... Z Man will make the following verse void:

Jeremiah 18:7 “The instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, to pull down, and to destroy it, 8 “if that nation against whom I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent of the disaster that I thought to bring upon it. 9 “And the instant I speak concerning a nation and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it, 10 “if it does evil in My sight so that it does not obey My voice, then I will relent concerning the good with which I said I would benefit it.

God has purposed and planned that He can and will repent in certain circumstances yet Z Man attempts to make God's word VOID by claiming God cannot do what God has purposed.
Again, you lack the proper understanding of my position. I hope that my earlier comments in this post have helped to clairfy my position, but I'll expound on it some more.

In Jer 18:7, notice that God says IF before His statement on repenting. This verse is merely God stating the outcome for anyone who continues in evil or follow in repentance. Of course God is not going to say, "For some who do evil, they will suffer the consequences, but for other's, they are not under my wrath". All those who are in sin are under the wrath of God, but that wrath is taken away by God IF they repent. This type of taking away the wrath by God, or His repenting, is not the same type of repenting you open view believers define it as. It has nothing to do with man surprising God, or thwarting His original purposes. It has everything to do with God bringing about His ultimate purpose; repentance in the hearts of men.
Nothing is too difficult for God Z Man!!! NOTHING!!! As in no "thing" is too difficult fo God! Yet Z Man claims that the ability to change ones mind is out of the realm of possibility for God. :nono:
It's not that God changing His mind is out of His realm of possibility, it's just that He has no reason to in the sense that man has thwarted His original plans.

God has no reason to change. We're the ones who are suppose to be doing the changing, not God.

I hope you don't mind, but I neglected to comment on the rest of your post, simply because my replies would only be in repetition of each other. If you feel that I need to reply to a certain statement from you, let me know. Otherwise, good post and thanks again for your insight, even though you weren't the one I was exactly looking for a reply from. Nonetheless, may God grant His blessings upon you and all those who take the time to read this post and others on this site.

:zman:

smaller

BANNED
Banned
As much as I detest Calvinism and predestination, the Calvies have the Sovereignty position on a SEMI right track.

The unfortunate part is when THEY are the "determining factor" on what God's Soveregn Will actually IS. On this point they are INCONSISTENT. They chalk up their "inconsistencies" to various types of God's Will's which really amount to nothing less than their INABILITY to really understand what God's Will IS.

On the REPENTENCE issue Z man brings up very good points. God did preordain COMMANDMENTS to EVIL. IF sais EVIL backs OFF, then God does so as well. When EVIL gets OUT OF HAND then the HAND OF GOD comes in to CORRECT or DESTROY.

This is a PRE-ORDAINED position of God to EVIL and in this we have had continual demonstrations from DAY ONE of "man's" creation.

as for godrulz statement that I misrepresent his "open view" position I AM STILL LAUGHING UPROARIOUSLY [now.]

The things that God does ensure will come to pass by His ability/power are known to God. smaller can stop laughing now for his misrepresentation of our beliefs.

The other motif in Scripture is that there are some mundane and moral choices that are genuinely free and not interfered with by God.

You are NOT EQUIPPED to say EXACTLY what God may be involved in or what HE may not. The observation was made that NOT A SPARROW FALLS TO THE GROUND apart from HIS WILL so HOW MUNDANE do you want to get.

I find on the "atomic level" God was RATHER INTRICATE eh????
Logically, contingent choices are only known as a possibility before they are made (i.e. from trillions of years ago) and as a certainty/actuality when they come into existence after the free will choice. God knows reality as it is.

You have ALREADY VIOLATED THIS PREMISE the moment you state that GOD IS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO INSURE THE OUTCOME OF ANY EVENT. Are you braindead or what???

The MOMENT God INTERACTS with His creation in ANY WAY all bets are OFF for what YOU might think HE may DO.
This is not a deficiency for an omniscient being (to think otherwise is a logical contradiction or absurdity similar to the false idea of God creating a rock so heavy He cannot lift it).

Logic and reason SERVE GOD, but GOD HIMSELF is NOT BOUND BY IT. Should GOD decide to be ILLOGICAL He could certainly choose to DO SO and therefore LOGIC AND ILLOGIC will both SERVE HIM because HE IS GREATER THAN THEM BOTH.

It is the SAME with CHANGE and NO CHANGE.

BOTH POSITIONS will serve GOD who is GREATER than ANYTHING we pathetic little BOUND UP people can CONCEIVE OF.

On this basis alone CALVINISM is OUTLAWED in predetermining people to hell, and the LIMITED (not free) will of MEN will NOT rule their "eternal" destinies.

enjoy!

smaller

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Zman: Could the Ninevites theoretically have NOT repented (contrary to God's intent). IF they could not continue to rebel, there is no freedom, responsibility, accountability, or contingency here. We are left with fatalism/determinism.

Your explanation seems convoluted, rather than the simple reading of the text.

1Way

_________________Jon 3:10b

__________:darwinsm: Z Man = :dunce: duh,

__God repented from the disaster that He
__had said He
would bring. That actually means
__that He did
not repent from doing what He
__said He
would do.

__Here’s why, it’s because He
did do what He
__said He
would do, yep, it’s really simple, that
__“is” what those words “actually” mean.

__Obviously God did not repent and change
__His previous intended course of action. :chuckle:

__And, du, :eek: would you like to buy some
__insurance or swamp land in Florida?

_________God is true :cloud9: and
_________Z Man :freak: is :eek: false :dunce: