Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Purex,

Well, Genesis doesn't include everything that happened, like the age of the dinosaurs, and cave men, etc. It really deals with the earth and heaven's creation and man's creation. And then it deals with Adam and Eve's forming by the Lord God and all that happened since then. So I can see what you mean. The first chapter is a short synopsis of the creation of the earth and heaven, and the life on earth and Adam's creation, etc; The second chapter deals with Adam and Eve and their descendants.

We have the dinosaurs and cavemen to speculate about. They are the past so they aren't mentioned in this Bible, that I know of. I believe that the tortoises, and alligators, elephants, crocodiles, even armadillos?, etc. are from the dinosaur family.

God's Blessings,

Michael

Last edited:

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear 1Mind1Spirit,

Just the once, I'm sure, as God determined it. I can't see Jesus coming to check out the cavemen or dinosaurs, can you? How have you been doing 1Mind1Spirit? Are you enjoying yourself on this TOL site?? I'm gonna give you some good rep pts, so you'll get your green boxes faster. Chat with you soon!!

God's Blessings Upon You,

Michael

PureX

Dear Purex,

Well, Genesis doesn't include everything that happened, like the age of the dinosaurs, and cave men, etc. It really deals with the earth and heaven's creation and man's creation.
That's just the story. What it's really about is the nature of the human spirit: why we are the way we are, why we suffer because of it, and by the NT, how we can be saved from it. All those Bible stories are allegories intended to teach us about ourselves, and our struggle with "God", and eventually the solution to that struggle.

If we keep insisting that the stories are intended to be taken literally, we miss the allegory, and therefor the real lessons that the allegory intends to convey to us.
And then it deals with Adam and Eve's forming by the Lord God and all that happened since then. So I can see what you mean. The first chapter is a short synopsis of the creation of the earth and heaven, and the life on earth and Adam's creation, etc; The second chapter deals with Adam and Eve and their descendants.
Like any story, the beginning sets the stage, upon which the characters enact their allegory. The key is to understand that the allegory is about us. The snake is our own egos, telling us that we can possess the knowledge of good and evil, and that in doing so, we can become God's equals; having the right to stand in judgment of all creation as if we had created it ourselves. And because we have taken into ourselves this unwarranted and undeserved presumption, we have doomed ourselves to living lives of fruitless labor, forever trying to "correct" that which God had already made perfect; wrongly presuming it's purpose to be the fulfillment of our own will and desires, rather than God's.
We have the dinosaurs and cavemen to speculate about. They aren't mentioned in the Bible, that I know of. I believe that the tortoises, and alligators, elephants, crocodiles, etc. are from the dinosaur family.
This is all missing the point. The Bible was never about physics or biology or history. The stories are about us: they are about why we are the way we are, and what we can do about it.

Factuality is irrelevant, because they are allegories.

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Dear 1Mind1Spirit,

Just the once, I'm sure, as God determined it. I can't see Jesus coming to check out the cavemen or dinosaurs, can you? How have you been doing 1Mind1Spirit? Are you enjoying yourself on this TOL site?? I'm gonna give you some good rep pts, so you'll get your green boxes faster. Chat with you soon!!

God's Blessings Upon You,

Michael

I think Jesus was here many times as the angel of God, before he was born of woman.
Not sure why you would think just because some men took shelter in caves and wore animal skins that there was some supposed race of (cavemen).
Far as dinosaurs go.
There are footprints of men fossilised alongside dinosaur kills.
Looks like it would take more than one man to kill this one God is talkin bout to Job.

Job 40:15 KJV
Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together .
18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.
20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play .
21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about .
23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Rep points for just showin up?
Sounds alot like flattery to me.
Dont need em, but thank yuh, just the same. :tunes::luigi:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
That's just the story. What it's really about is the nature of the human spirit: why we are the way we are, why we suffer because of it, and by the NT, how we can be saved from it. All those Bible stories are allegories intended to teach us about ourselves, and our struggle with "God", and eventually the solution to that struggle.

If we keep insisting that the stories are intended to be taken literally, we miss the allegory, and therefor the real lessons that the allegory intends to convey to humanity down through the ages.
Like any story, the beginning sets the stage, upon which the characters enact their allegory. The key is to understand that the allegory is about us. The snake is our own egos, telling us that we can possess the knowledge of good and evil, and that in doing so, we can become God's equals; having the right to stand in judgment of all creation as if we had created it ourselves. And because we have taken into ourselves this unwarranted and undeserved presumption, we have doomed ourselves to living lives of fruitless labor, forever trying to "correct" that which God had already made perfect; wrongly presuming it's purpose to be the fulfillment of our own will and desires, rather than God's.
This is all missing the point. The Bible was never about physics or biology or history. The stories are about us: they are about why we are the way we are, and what we can do about it.

Factuality is irrelevant, because they are allegories.

Just because it was done to teach, does not mean it did not happen.
You can miss much thinkin Moses and the prophets made it all up.
God is not a liar.

Genesis 3:22 KJV
And the LORD God said , Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat , and live for ever:

noguru

God is not a liar.

And the LORD God said , Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat , and live for ever:

You are missing the point. It did happen. But rather than give an accurate prolonged account from the beginning to the beginning. It is an encapsulated version designed to get right to the point, leaving out the extended scientific description.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
You are missing the point. It did happen. But rather than give an accurate prolonged account from the beginning to the beginning. It is an encapsulated version designed to get right to the point, leaving out the extended scientific description.

Missing what point?
What scientific discription?

How that the flood killed off all the dinosaurs except the ones that could swim?
Then men killed the rest?
You might do well to also see the allegory in that.

Romans 1:20 KJV
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen , being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

noguru

Missing what point?

How that the flood killed off all the dinosaurs except the ones that could swim?

You missed the point again. There is no scientific description in scripture. Is there some reason you do not think I see the allegory in that?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
You missed the point again. There is no scientific description in scripture. Is there some reason you do not think I see the allegory in that?

Depends on what you are calling science.
If you are calling science the discovery of truth, the bible is perfectly scientific.
Now if you are calling science the practice of man imagining something that would make God a liar, then setting out to prove it, then no there is none of that in the bible.
So what am I missing?

Jukia

Now if you are calling science the practice of man imagining something that would make God a liar, then setting out to prove it, then no there is none of that in the bible.
So what am I missing?

That's the point of science? To make your god a liar? Wow.

What are you missing? Where to start, where to start. See noguru's last post perhaps.

PureX

God is not a liar.

The problem with taking mythical stories too literally is that we let ourselves get hung up on the details and miss the whole meaning of the story. God doesn't write books, people do.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The problem with taking mythical stories too literally is that we let ourselves get hung up on the details and miss the whole meaning of the story. God doesn't write books, people do.

Try some details since by not doing so you have called God a liar.

Originally Posted by PureX
The snake is our own egos, telling us that we can possess the knowledge of good and evil,

The snake deceived the woman not the man.
You have invented your own fable, same as the theory of evolution.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Missing what point?

Romans 1:20 KJV
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen , being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
How come no human bones are ever found with dino bones?

Jukia

Try some details since by not doing so you have called God a liar.

Cute, you stuck "sin" in. Very thoughtful.

And the details in your holy book do not fit with the real world details. so either your god is not telling the truth or his scriveners took down the dictation incorrectly. Take your pick, neither helps you.

alwight

I hardly think that God would conform to the religion of Michael. There is no religion of Michael for Him to conform to. I conform to His religion. You use imo a lot, don't you, Alwight? How are the voices in your head Alwight? My guardian angel fills my thoughts with the goodness and joy of knowing that Jesus is coming soon!!!

You are barking up the wrong tree, cowboy! Go and find God!!

Michael
The voices in my head are only mine just as yours are only yours Michael, the difference is that I don't happen to think they are anything else, least of all supernatural communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.