Coral Ridge Ministries and CSI

Free-Agent Smith

Nature's publications

Nature's publications

I started a thread about the publicized articles written here from Nature magazine's website. It was open to more than just that specific publication but that is the one I used as an example.

Maybe some of you might want to check it out.

Stratnerd

I said: And is there a dialog that goes with it [like, this composite is actually composed of two...]?

Niv said: I dunno what info they have with it, I didn't ask.

Of course, that does make all the difference in the world. I mean, it would be a dubious display, to be understating, if at least there wasn't a warning with it.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Stratnerd

I said: And is there a dialog that goes with it [like, this composite is actually composed of two...]?

Niv said: I dunno what info they have with it, I didn't ask.

Of course, that does make all the difference in the world. I mean, it would be a dubious display, to be understating, if at least there wasn't a warning with it.

"The dealer sold Archaeoraptor in early February 1999 at a bazaar-style gem and mineral show in Tucson. The buyer, Stephen A. Czerkas, director of a nonprofit dinosaur museum in the small town of Blanding, Utah, told me he was "stunned" when he was shown the fossil in the dealer's motel room. Never doubting its authenticity, he raised the $80,000 asking price with a phone call to M. Dale Slade, a Blanding businessman and an active backer of the museum."
cite (I have a friend who has this paper issue of NG, this article is in there )

If I were to guess at what an info card accompanying the plastic model says, I would guess something along the lines of, "$80,000 worth of caveat emptor."

Stratnerd

I don't even know what the issue is anymore. It wasn't created by an "evo" but a Chinese guy trying to make a buck. A paleontologist got duped but evos (NOT creationists) uncovered the fraud and published it. If Czerkas is displaying it sans warning then the guy is just a freak and deserved to be publicly smushed.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Turbo posted:

Dimo, in post 600 you accused Nineveh of "try[ing] to make His Word say something other than what it says to benefit them in their sins."

Dimo:

Nineveh made that accusation first. She implied that this is what some people do (probably implying me). Since our interpretation of Genesis is different, I am claiming that she is doing the same thing. I make this accusation with the same authority that Nineveh used to accuse others of this.

Yurbo posted:

Nineveh is asking you to back up that accusation, and to be specific as to which Scripture she is twisting.

Dimo:

Nineveh is claiming that we should use a literal interpretationof Genesis as the premise for scientific inquiry. I do not believe that this is what God had in mind. I believe he was using a metaphor to give us insight into the origins of human consciousness and how that relates to God.

Turbo posted:

She is not claiming that she never sinned. But you assume she did, then you say that you have no evidence to the contrary, and that you cannot correct her assertion with Scripture.

Dimo:

My other point is that she is using her complaints about other peoples errors and biases as a diversion from her own iniquities. I say this because I believe we all have the tendency to do this. I have learned in my life that holding this tendency at bay is the best way to follow the correct path. So no I do not need to qoute scripture. I believe enough of that is done here already.

Turbo posted:

Are you unfamiliar with this verse?

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, Romans 3:23

That is one of the best-known verses in the Bible.

Dimo:

I am very familiar with this verse. I believe that keeping this in mind keeps us humble and on the right path.

Turbo posted:

It's no wonder you only post in this forum.

Dimo:

I do not only post in this forum. However the majority of my posting is done here. That is because I find the misperceptions and misinformation that runs rampant here a major problem with most people.

Turbo posted:

Maybe you should read what goes on in the other forums instead of fighting with Christians here in Origins. Or, read the Bible.

Dimo:

I have done both. As a child at church I would often read the Bible, rather than listen to the priest discuss what he felt was important. But I do agree I think we should all read the Bible.

Oh and Turbo. I'm not fighting Christians. I am simply adding my perspective to these debates. Maybe you are offended by my perspective. Sorry if you felt offended.

Last edited:

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Yes Nineveh, I will get to you when I have time. You may be a moderator here, but your concerns are really not one of my most relevant concerns.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Take your time Dimo, and this time, bring your Bible, you'll need it if you want to make your case.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
I guess I am gonna get a schoolin from Nineveh. Kind of reminds of catechism classes. But Nineveh, I prefer multiple choice to essay answers. At least then I'll have a chance of beingh 100% correct.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Dimo

I guess I am gonna get a schoolin from Nineveh. Kind of reminds of catechism classes. But Nineveh, I prefer multiple choice to essay answers. At least then I'll have a chance of beingh 100% correct.

Save your "smack" for the other thread :)

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh
(Austin on coal)
You would probably know best where you feel he is in error. If you don't think he errs in his coal formation ideas, perhaps you would like to suggest the topic?

For context, you have to realize that notions of a world wide flood in historical times, particularly as a source of the sedimentary sequences that are observed on all of the continents is a dead theory. It is so dead that the *only* people who believe in this are Biblical literalists. The result of this is that there are only 3 or 4 research geologists worldwide who accept this idea.

The game, as played by Austin, as well as the geologists at Loma Linda University (Seventh Day Adventists) is to publish some minor paper that has some apparent relevance to the notions of flood geology, when taken out of the context of modern geology. And then play it up big for the faithful.

An example:

Austin's doctoral dissertation:
S.A. Austin, 1979, Depositional Environment of the Kentucky No. 12 Coal Bed (Middle Pennsylvanian) of Western Kentucky, with Special Reference to the Origin of Coal Lithotypes (Pennsylvania State University, Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation).

Basically Austin is attempting to show that coal formed as mats of bark and other shredded organic matter, which would be consistent with his notions of flood geology.

Some coals in Pennsylvanian age rocks superficially may have characteristics that agree with this notion. This does not imply that these coals formed that way. A commentary which deals with this, as well as Austin's claims that the debris in Spirit Lake at Mt. St. Helen's is an example of such a formation:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mtsthelens.html

Of course, Austin does not address the rock units that the coal is found sandwiched between, which contain a who array of evidence from grainsize and lithology to burrows and animal tracks, which indicate that these units were around for a long time.

(Unlocking film...)
At the very beginning, they expalin there was a meeting of scientists who did not like the current "mainstream" view. They had found enough evidence in their respective fields to come to a different conclusion, that meeting produced "ID". Which is what Unlocking the Mysteries of Life was about. What ID is, where it started, and what evidence they use to support how it started. I thought you watched this twice...

Of course that is the claim. The truth is that the ID movement began with Phil Johnson's "Darwin on Trial" book, whereby he rehashed common arguments made by creationists (displaying his lack of scientific knowledge) but with new spin of claiming that science and society were somehow hijacked by a philosophy of metaphysical naturalism. (FYI, the man is a lawyer.)

The other contemporaneous book was Michael Denton's "Evolution a theory in crisis", basically a book with scientific content of a high-school term paper, grossly in error regarding just about every topic covered. Denton is a medical doctor, and his lack of expertise in biology shows.

The third item as Michael Behe's "Darwin's Black Box". Behe has better credentials but doesn't do evolution related research.

The fourth item is Will Dembski's "Design Inference" an attempt to mathematically model a method of inferring if objects are designed. Great claims are made about the relevance of Dembski's work as impacting the world of information theory, but so far the information theorists have seen nothing of value in his work, despite the claims of Dembsk's followers to the contrary.

None of these works are written for the scientific community. There are no scientific papers to go with these works, though the authors have had nearly a decade to publish such papers if they wanted to. Indeed, they could selfpublish scientific materials if they wished. The Discovery Institute, the political institution that is the current home of the ID movement has the means to finance such research if it existed. But so far, such research has not been published. Only philosophical or political tomes have been published by DI.

: shakes head: What else were you doing when Unlocking was on? Kenyon couldn't resolve the problem from 25 years ago. Evo no longer statified the questions raised in this Scientist's mind.

Much of what Kenyon stated are no longer issues in the community, because in Kenyon's day it was assumed that proteins would have to precede DNA, but somehow, enzymes would have to preceed proteins. With RNA filling the role of both DNA and enzymes, it is a whole new ballgame, one which Kenyon did not seem to be able to comment on.

(Brewer)
Exactly! Yet he is a creationist. I appriciate a Scientist who removes his story from the evidence. He is a credit to Science and an inspiration to the rest of us :)

The problem with Brewer's involvement is that he is showing signs that he is going to play the same game as Austin has done with his attempts at explaining.

For example, his little ICR article on comparing the genomes of prokaryotes does not mention the basic fact that all of the evidence that he presents as being somehow damning to evolution is actually perfectly consistent with evolution. Why? Because all it shows is cross-species exchanged of DNA in imicroorganims. This is a known phenomenon. Furthermore, it has been observed decades ago that prokaryotes do exchanged genetic material cross species.

You know, maybe you should spend a little time on ICR and read some of the articles there by other reputable scientists like Dr. Brewer.
[/QUOTE}

I have followed ICR since about 1987. The reputableness of the scientists goes downhill fast when we get past Brewer. Basically Brewer has credentials which are similar to any working research scientist. He is on the high end of average, but he is no Einstein.

It goes downhill after that. The bottom of the list are Morris and Gish, the founders of the organization.

If you want to discuss them individually, I would be happy to do it.

(brain chemistry, conscience)
How do chemicals know when you did something "wrong"? And know how to make you feel "bad"?

The general view is the the brain consists of neurons connected by synapses. The rough picture is that the brain consists of nodes that can have many connections between them. Each node has a potential that is dependent upon the values of the neighboring nodes. This is all highly nonlinear, so the idea is that the complex phenomena of thought, memory, emotion, learning, etc... are emergent phenomena from the great number of neural connections. (So, basically, there is no need for something *more* complex inside to generate the complex behavior we see.)

Moods seem to be related to the level of certain neurotransmitters.

As far as "conscience" or any other attribute is concerned, these are learned responses, and as such vary from person to person.

Drugs, disease, or injury can alter a person's intelligence, emotional structure, personality, memory, or any other attribute of a person's behavior, either through the alteration of the physical structure of the brain, or through the chemistry of the brain. "Spirits" are dead.

Last edited:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by john2001

Of course, Austin does not address the rock units that the coal is found sandwiched between, which contain a who array of evidence from grainsize and lithology to burrows and animal tracks, which indicate that these units were around for a long time.

Do you consider the layer effect of a tide laying down sediment in your argument against his work?

Of course that is the claim. The truth is that the ID movement began with Phil Johnson's "Darwin on Trial" book, whereby he rehashed common arguments made by creationists (displaying his lack of scientific knowledge) but with new spin of claiming that science and society were somehow hijacked by a philosophy of metaphysical naturalism. (FYI, the man is a lawyer.)

The other contemporaneous book was Michael Denton's "Evolution a theory in crisis", basically a book with scientific content of a high-school term paper, grossly in error regarding just about every topic covered. Denton is a medical doctor, and his lack of expertise in biology shows.

The third item as Michael Behe's "Darwin's Black Box". Behe has better credentials but doesn't do evolution related research.

The fourth item is Will Dembski's "Design Inference" an attempt to mathematically model a method of inferring if objects are designed. Great claims are made about the relevance of Dembski's work as impacting the world of information theory, but so far the information theorists have seen nothing of value in his work, despite the claims of Dembsk's followers to the contrary.

None of these works are written for the scientific community. There are no scientific papers to go with these works, though the authors have had nearly a decade to publish such papers if they wanted to. Indeed, they could selfpublish scientific materials if they wished. The Discovery Institute, the political institution that is the current home of the ID movement has the means to finance such research if it existed. But so far, such research has not been published. Only philosophical or political tomes have been published by DI.

The DVD wasn't intended for the "scientific" community. The ideas were expressed in laymen's terms, sorta like that PBS special on evo. Nothing wrong with explaining ideas in language the majority will understand.

I think those who put more faith in ID than evo do quite a bit of work and publish quite a bit of info. But as far as seeing their ideas on ID, it won't be in "mainstream science journals", it isn't welcome.

Much of what Kenyon stated are no longer issues in the community, because in Kenyon's day it was assumed that proteins would have to precede DNA, but somehow, enzymes would have to preceed proteins. With RNA filling the role of both DNA and enzymes, it is a whole new ballgame, one which Kenyon did not seem to be able to comment on.

You mean to say Kenyon's problem has been worked out? Scientists have found a way to get left handed amino acids not only to stick together but also in the right order to produce one of 30,000 protiens? Where is the link to these findings? Kenyon couldn't get past both needing to be present to work. Your solution to Kenyon's problem only makes matters worse, not better, now where did the RNA come from?

For example, his little ICR article on comparing the genomes of prokaryotes does not mention the basic fact that all of the evidence that he presents as being somehow damning to evolution is actually perfectly consistent with evolution. Why? Because all it shows is cross-species exchanged of DNA in imicroorganims. This is a known phenomenon. Furthermore, it has been observed decades ago that prokaryotes do exchanged genetic material cross species.

Perhaps you should re read his argument and prepare a rebuttle to that instead of making up his argument to knock it down.

The general view is the the brain consists of neurons connected by synapses. The rough picture is that the brain consists of nodes that can have many connections between them. Each node has a potential that is dependent upon the values of the neighboring nodes. This is all highly nonlinear, so the idea is that the complex phenomena of thought, memory, emotion, learning, etc... are emergent phenomena from the great number of neural connections. (So, basically, there is no need for something *more* complex inside to generate the complex behavior we see.)

We don't have the first clue how the brain really works yet it evolved. From what for what purpose?

Moods seem to be related to the level of certain neurotransmitters.

I bet you are a real romantic. Does your wife/gf think that is all the more you care for her other than some mindless misfires?

As far as "conscience" or any other attribute is concerned, these are learned responses, and as such vary from person to person.

Really?

Who told you it was wrong to rape a child? Did you really have to be told?

Drugs, disease, or injury can alter a person's intelligence, emotional structure, personality, memory, or any other attribute of a person's behavior, either through the alteration of the physical structure of the brain, or through the chemistry of the brain. "Spirits" are dead.

Yours is, no doubt.

john2001

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Nineveh

Do you consider the layer effect of a tide laying down sediment in your argument against his work?

Sure. The issue of tides only is relevant for coals associated with marine formations. This is the motivation for Austin's choice of Pennsylvanian aged coals from Kentucky. From the following:

http://www.uky.edu/KGS/coal/webcoal/pages/wkcf.html
we see that these coals are interbedded with limestones, indicating the periodic innudations of a coastal region as cycles of sea level (or periods of subsidence and uplift) changes occur. This cycle of transgressions and regressions, to use geologists' terminology, is not uncommon for Pennsylvanian coals, though, usually coals are interbedded with clay, sandstones, or shaley sequences, rather than limestones.

Western coals, which constitute the majority of the US (and world) coal resources, are not generally associated with marine sediments. The clays and sandstones seen underlying and overlying western coals are more consistent with a deltaic environment.

The limestones seen in the Kentucky examples are actually quite a bit of a problem for Austin's rapid formation hypothesis. Limestones form via a process of chemical precipitation, indicating that the process of formation of the limestone layers was lengthy, rather than instant.

The only place where tidal effects need to be considered in the case of the Pennsylvanian coals is the boundaries between the rock units. Tidal dominated environments tend not to be environments of deposition. Rather these tend to be environments where deposition and erosion are in equilibrium, resulting in extremely flat topography. Indeed, the origin of the uniformly flat boundaries between the overlying limestone layers and the coal.

Nothing like this is seen in the majority of western coals.

The DVD wasn't intended for the "scientific" community. The ideas were expressed in laymen's terms, sorta like that PBS special on evo. Nothing wrong with explaining ideas in language the majority will understand.
Basically, the film *misrepresented* the ID movement.
It's called "propaganda". Just like a Michael Moore movie.

I think those who put more faith in ID than evo do quite a bit of work and publish quite a bit of info. But as far as seeing their ideas on ID, it won't be in "mainstream science journals", it isn't welcome.

If ID were science, then scientific papers could be written about it. We all are still waiting with bated breath for that to happen.

[/QUOTE]
You mean to say Kenyon's problem has been worked out? Scientists have found a way to get left handed amino acids not only to stick together but also in the right order to produce one of 30,000 protiens? Where is the link to these findings? Kenyon couldn't get past both needing to be present to work. Your solution to Kenyon's problem only makes matters worse, not better, now where did the RNA come from?
[/QUOTE]

1) As to chirality (handedness) basically I have answered this one. The claim by creationists is that there is no possible solution to the question of why all of our biochemistry is left-handed. The answer is that polarized UV light will do the trick.

Recent discoveries regarding polarized light in the Orion Nebula suggest that the conditions of the formation of the solar system would have supplied the necessary UV innundation on the early earth:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/AAO/local/www/jab/astrobiology/chirality.html

(As comments about "getting them to stick together" you would have to provide a reference. Basically most of organic chemistry deals with left-handed amino acids. People have been synthesizing proteins for decades.)

2) Origin of RNA
Clays have been known for some time to catalyze nucleotides into RNA.

Here is a page by Andrew Ellington on the subject:

http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/pages/science/RNA.html

(So, the idea is that rhibosomes are the leftovers of the life of the RNA world.)

Origin of RNA: Here is work by
Jack Stozak:
http://www.hhmi.org/news/szostak3.html

(Search on RNA world on google for more.)

This (the RNA world) s the hot area of research in abiogenesis, but our friend Kenyon didn't have much to say about it. Indeed, he has had very little to say about the subject. Indeed, his comments such as those at the ARN site are simply the pathetic whining of a man out of touch with his former discipline.

3) RNA as an enzyme:

http://www.hhmi.org/annual99/a255.html

In Kenyon's day, people thought you had to have enzymes to produce proteins but that you needed to have proteins before you could have nucleic acids. That apprently is not true.

In summary, you would never know about any of the scientific discoveries and their impact on abiogenesis research if you were getting your info from the Unlocking... movie.

Perhaps you should re read his argument and prepare a rebuttle to that instead of making up his argument to knock it down.

Brewer's Impact article:
http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-341.htm

A skeptic's easy refutation of Brewer's article:

http://www.ntskeptics.org/2001/2001december/december2001.htm

(Let's not also forget that microorganisms exchange DNA cross-species further muddying the waters.)

Anyway, that was 2001, it is now 2004, and we don't see a bunch of papers ringing the death knell of common descent, so Brewer's claim does not seem to be holding up.

(..brain as nonlinear network of nodes with potentials...)

We don't have the first clue how the brain really works yet it evolved. From what for what purpose?

We have plenty of clues as to how the brain works, in terms of its structure. The problem to a large degree is one of understanding the behavior of highly nonlinear systems.

Neural nets, which are computer algorithms modeled on neurons and synapses do exhibit the property of learning and pattern recognition and are used for that purpose. The brain is vastly more complicated than these "toy" applications. (You can search on neural net for articles on this sort of thing.)

(emotions as chemistry)

I bet you are a real romantic. Does your wife/gf think that is all the more you care for her other than some mindless misfires?

This isn't my idea, it is Dr. Candace Pert's:
http://home.earthlink.net/~denmartin/moe.html

(conscience as cultural programming)
Really?

Who told you it was wrong to rape a child? Did you really have to be told?

We all have to be taught about right and wrong to a large degree. As to your child-rape example, we do not come out of the womb knowing what rape is, or what is or is not rape. What is called "rape" today, in other cultures, ancient Greece for example, was normal behavior. (It was normal in ancient Greece for males to practice what we would call pedophilia, today.)

Indeed, imprinting of our childhood experiences prepare us to a large degree for our adult behavior. Today's abused child is tomorrow's child abuser. (Indeed, such a pedophile doen't think that he or she is doing anything wrong.)

Our parents and our culture educate us and raise our consciousness to such matters.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by john2001

Sure. The issue of tides only is relevant for coals associated with marine formations. This is the motivation for Austin's choice of Pennsylvanian aged coals from Kentucky. From the following:

http://www.uky.edu/KGS/coal/webcoal/pages/wkcf.html
we see that these coals are interbedded with limestones, indicating the periodic innudations of a coastal region as cycles of sea level (or periods of subsidence and uplift) changes occur. This cycle of transgressions and regressions, to use geologists' terminology, is not uncommon for Pennsylvanian coals, though, usually coals are interbedded with clay, sandstones, or shaley sequences, rather than limestones.

Western coals, which constitute the majority of the US (and world) coal resources, are not generally associated with marine sediments. The clays and sandstones seen underlying and overlying western coals are more consistent with a deltaic environment.

The limestones seen in the Kentucky examples are actually quite a bit of a problem for Austin's rapid formation hypothesis. Limestones form via a process of chemical precipitation, indicating that the process of formation of the limestone layers was lengthy, rather than instant.

When I went to the Mammoth caves, the guide told us the rock we saw around us was madeof limestone. He explained limestone is made from the bones of sea creatures.

The only place where tidal effects need to be considered in the case of the Pennsylvanian coals is the boundaries between the rock units. Tidal dominated environments tend not to be environments of deposition. Rather these tend to be environments where deposition and erosion are in equilibrium, resulting in extremely flat topography. Indeed, the origin of the uniformly flat boundaries between the overlying limestone layers and the coal.

Nothing like this is seen in the majority of western coals.

Do you feel that "equalibrium" to be at work during a glabal flood that lasted for months?

Basically, the film *misrepresented* the ID movement.
It's called "propaganda". Just like a Michael Moore movie.

It seems to me they gave some strong evidence for ID.

If ID were science, then scientific papers could be written about it. We all are still waiting with bated breath for that to happen.

Chemical biology is science, and it's making it really hard for evo to get a start.

Me: You mean to say Kenyon's problem has been worked out? Scientists have found a way to get left handed amino acids not only to stick together but also in the right order to produce one of 30,000 protiens? Where is the link to these findings? Kenyon couldn't get past both needing to be present to work. Your solution to Kenyon's problem only makes matters worse, not better, now where did the RNA come from?

1) As to chirality (handedness) basically I have answered this one. The claim by creationists is that there is no possible solution to the question of why all of our biochemistry is left-handed. The answer is that polarized UV light will do the trick.

So polarized UV light + essoteric soup = sequnced left handed amino acid chains?

Recent discoveries regarding polarized light in the Orion Nebula suggest that the conditions of the formation of the solar system would have supplied the necessary UV innundation on the early earth:

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/AAO/local/www/jab/astrobiology/chirality.html

Mighta, coulda but... let's wait and see what they say next week.

(As comments about "getting them to stick together" you would have to provide a reference. Basically most of organic chemistry deals with left-handed amino acids. People have been synthesizing proteins for decades.)

Synthesizing what already works. Left handed amino acids don't just stick together unless it's in a living organism. We can't assume a living organism to give darwin a leg up, that's circular reasoning.

2) Origin of RNA
Clays have been known for some time to catalyze nucleotides into RNA.

Here is a page by Andrew Ellington on the subject:

http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/pages/science/RNA.html

"These theories are all based not only on the appealing notion of self-replication but also, to some extent, on historical evidence."

" it does not prove that such catalysts could have existed"

There seems to be a lot of maybes in here too.

(So, the idea is that rhibosomes are the leftovers of the life of the RNA world.)

Or not.

Origin of RNA: Here is work by
Jack Stozak:
http://www.hhmi.org/news/szostak3.html

"Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) researchers have discovered that clays may have been the catalysts that spurred the spontaneous assembly of fatty acids into the small sacs that ultimately evolved into the first living cells."

mighta...

(Search on RNA world on google for more.)

Actually I just read where a German scientists almost got two left handed amino acids to stick together, unfortunatly they didn't include what the "evironment" was like.

This (the RNA world) s the hot area of research in abiogenesis, but our friend Kenyon didn't have much to say about it. Indeed, he has had very little to say about the subject. Indeed, his comments such as those at the ARN site are simply the pathetic whining of a man out of touch with his former discipline.

So, now we go from essoteric soup to essoteric sludge. I can't wait to see more research.

3) RNA as an enzyme:

http://www.hhmi.org/annual99/a255.html

In Kenyon's day, people thought you had to have enzymes to produce proteins but that you needed to have proteins before you could have nucleic acids. That apprently is not true.

In summary, you would never know about any of the scientific discoveries and their impact on abiogenesis research if you were getting your info from the Unlocking... movie.

The trouble is, there is no research yet describing how all the info to make a brain out of clay got in the RNA.

Brewer's Impact article:
http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-341.htm

A skeptic's easy refutation of Brewer's article:

http://www.ntskeptics.org/2001/2001december/december2001.htm

(Let's not also forget that microorganisms exchange DNA cross-species further muddying the waters.)

Anyway, that was 2001, it is now 2004, and we don't see a bunch of papers ringing the death knell of common descent, so Brewer's claim does not seem to be holding up.

Did you catch he was focusing on the unique sequences yet?

We have plenty of clues as to how the brain works, in terms of its structure. The problem to a large degree is one of understanding the behavior of highly nonlinear systems.

Neural nets, which are computer algorithms modeled on neurons and synapses do exhibit the property of learning and pattern recognition and are used for that purpose. The brain is vastly more complicated than these "toy" applications. (You can search on neural net for articles on this sort of thing.)

I'm sorry, but holding a child in my arms is way more than random fires of a synapse. What a hollow emotionless life evo offers.

This isn't my idea, it is Dr. Candace Pert's:
http://home.earthlink.net/~denmartin/moe.html

I'm sure your wife/gf will be reassured by that.

We all have to be taught about right and wrong to a large degree. As to your child-rape example, we do not come out of the womb knowing what rape is, or what is or is not rape. What is called "rape" today, in other cultures, ancient Greece for example, was normal behavior. (It was normal in ancient Greece for males to practice what we would call pedophilia, today.)

I don't know of any cultures that ever condoned rape. But anway, you really had to be told raping a kid was wrong?

Indeed, imprinting of our childhood experiences prepare us to a large degree for our adult behavior. Today's abused child is tomorrow's child abuser. (Indeed, such a pedophile doen't think that he or she is doing anything wrong.)

Even an abuser knows it's wrong. Why else would NAMBLA be having such a hard time getting it's message out?

Our parents and our culture educate us and raise our consciousness to such matters.

Actually the "awarness" being "raised" is to the opposite effect. The move is already underway to remove "social stigma" over child rape.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Nineveh posted:

Save your "smack" for the other thread.

Dimo:

I gave that up a little over 10 years ago.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Nineveh posted:

When I went to the Mammoth caves, the guide told us the rock we saw around us was madeof limestone. He explained limestone is made from the bones of sea creatures.

Dimo:

Not exactly. Most limestone we see today is from coral. The minute animals that build these coral reefs use limestone as protection and as a sort of anchor. I don't really think you can call that a skeleton, because it is not really part of their body. Rather it is an excretion that builds up around their bodies.

Dimo

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Nineveh posted:

Do you feel that "equalibrium" to be at work during a glabal flood that lasted for months?

Dimo:

Yes, as Yorzhik keeps reminding us "equilibrium" is always at work. However, there are other forces of nature that are at work at the same time.

At any rate, there is quite a bit of evidence that there was a global flood about 10,000 years ago, right after the last ice age. Only the water did not cover every mountain on the planet. The evidence suggests that sea level rose about 400 feet. It is still at or around that level now.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Originally posted by Dimo

Not exactly. Most limestone we see today is from coral. The minute animals that build these coral reefs use limestone as protection and as a sort of anchor. I don't really think you can call that a skeleton, because it is not really part of their body. Rather it is an excretion that builds up around their bodies.

Water based lifeforms, thank you for the correction...