Can a Christian lose their salvation

Hoping

Banned
Why do you think that someone who has placed their trust would ever stop trusting in God?
Now you're on to something !
Fact is, those who say they are Christians, "put their trust in God", but then turn away...were never Christians to begin with.
Those who love God with all their might, soul, and strength, will not return to sin.
What would God have to have done in order to make someone stop trusting in Him ?
God wouldn't do such a thing.
What would God have to have done for Him to become unworthy of our trust?
God wouldn't do such a thing.
How would our (generally speaking, "human's") failing to trust in the trustworthy God (yes, even after we placed our trust in Him) have any bearing on whether He saves them?
"Failing trust in God" is not a thing.
We either have it or we don't.
Lots of folks can pretend to honor and love God for a while, some longer than others, but the final judgement will weed them out.
God said, "If you believe in Me, I will save you."
If folks "believe in Me" they would never spit in His face after Jesus suffered and died for them.
They would know that He has the power to turn them over to the lake of fire.
Who would risk such a thing ?
Unbelievers, that's who.
He did not say, "If you stop believing in Me, I won't save you anymore."
I agree that Jesus didn't say that.
If God has saved someone, they are saved that moment, UNCONDITIONALLY! They are sealed with the Holy Spirit, BY GOD HIMSELF!
As that "saved somebody" will occur on the last day, nobody will be changed or converted afterwards.
No one can snatch that person out of His hand! (Isaiah 43:13)
True, thank God.
Plenty of folks jump out though.
Ananias and Sapphira come to mind.
You don't even believe that you're saved! You only believe in "conversion."
Correct.
How can Christ's FINISHED work be "good enough" to save you if you don't believe it has? The answer is that it cannot, because it clearly isn't good enough for you!
I believe it will, in the end when I am judged.
I also believe that God and Jesus have furnished us everything we need to remain faithful on earth.
It's just more evidence that you are NOT SAVED, and ON YOUR WAY TO HELL strapped to a jet rocket riding on greased lightning!
If folks would quit misusing the term "saved", it wouldn't look like that to you.
REPENT! Before it's too late!
Turn from what ?
Obedience to God ?
Fear of the Lord ?
Knowledge of the day of judgement ?

Hoping

Banned
@Hoping God said, "If you ask Me to save you, I will save you, not because of anything you have done to deserve it, or despite anything you do afterwards, but because I am a merciful God, and am gracious and just to forgive!"
Which scripture are you citing ?
It doesn't sound like anything the Lord would say.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Fact is, those who say they are Christians, "put their trust in God", but then turn away...were never Christians to begin with.
Turn away from what? From being a Christian? In order to turn away from being a Christian, one would first need to be a Christian.
Turn away from pretending to be Christian.
So:
Fact is, those who say they are Christians, "put their trust in God", but then turn away [from pretending to be a Christian]...were never Christians to begin with.
LOL

So, if you are pretending to be a Christian, and then you stop pretending to be a Christian, you were never a Christian? IOW, if you are speaking falsehood, and then you stop speaking it, you were never a Christian?🤣

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, I did not.
Yes you did.

You are so proud of your Bible knowledge
I'm certainly not ashamed of the knowledge I have of scripture.

and assume that I know nothing about the Bible
That's a lie.

The "assumption" that I did not want to make was about what part of the Bible you were quoting.

P.S. Next time, just tell me what verse/verses you're talking about
Maybe someday you'll know enough about scripture to understand the reference.
I bet several here knew.

instead of insulting me.
That's really funny coming from you.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Many men start out strong, "in the Lord", but fall away later when things get tough.
That's true.
We see it happen in scripture and we see it happen in life.

They abandoned their trusting faith in YHWH.
It's called apostasy, rebellion, falling away.

But it is not about one meriting salvation by their own works because all have sinned.
There has only been one that lived a guiltless life in the flesh.
If anyone has trusting faith in their own righteousness and obedience then they are trusting in the righteousness and obedience of the wrong one.

Romans 5​
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.​
(19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.​

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Without becoming a Christian, there is no hope for the liars.

That is right.
No liars will get eternal life.
You're clearly not even reading anything I write. You're just mindlessly reacting to my posts. You've got to be the dumbest sad sack of a poster I've ever seen on TOL...maybe anywhere.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Salvation is still ahead of us.

In one small sense this is true (that our salvation is complete in the future).

Much of scripture can be viewed as:
* in one sense yes, but in one sense no​
* complete, but more to do​
* already, but not yet​
* here, but coming​
* now, but later​

One doesn't need to force scripture to mean only one or the other.
Paul didn't.
When he talked about one's salvation he used different tenses:
* you are saved​
* you are being saved​
* you will be saved​
If one gets too technically precise with scripture they would have to say Paul was wrong 2 out of 3 times.

Right Divider

Body part
* already, but not yet​
* here, but coming​
* now, but later​

Paul didn't.
* you are saved​
* you are being saved​
* you will be saved​
If one gets too technically precise with scripture they would have to say Paul was wrong 2 out of 3 times.
Actually, Paul says that all three are guaranteed for those in the body of Christ. The reason is that WE do not save ourselves. Christ saves us and He will not fail.

I notice again the lack of references to the scripture. Am I, again, to guess which verses that you're referring to?

Col 2:8-15 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (2:10) And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: (2:11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: (2:12) Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. (2:13) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (2:14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (2:15) [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Since Christ has forgiven ALL of my trespasses, I have nothing to be condemned for. Praise Christ!

Hoping

Banned
That's true.
We see it happen in scripture and we see it happen in life.
Yep.
They abandoned their trusting faith in YHWH.
It's called apostasy, rebellion, falling away.
Simply giving into temptation to commit sin, is anther name for it.
But it is not about one meriting salvation by their own works because all have sinned.
There has only been one that lived a guiltless life in the flesh.
If anyone has trusting faith in their own righteousness and obedience then they are trusting in the righteousness and obedience of the wrong one.
Right, but now that we can walk in the Spirit instead of in the flesh, we can all be as righteous as He was.
"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:" (Rom 3:20-22)
We CAN trust in that.
Romans 5​
(18) Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.​
(19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.​
Thanks be to God for His righteousness !

Hoping

Banned
You're clearly not even reading anything I write. You're just mindlessly reacting to my posts. You've got to be the dumbest sad sack of a poster I've ever seen on TOL...maybe anywhere.
Do you think liars will inherit eternal life ?
Do you think those pretending to be Christians will inherit eternal life ?
I don't.

Hoping

Banned
* already, but not yet​
* here, but coming​
* now, but later​

Paul didn't.
* you are saved​
* you are being saved​
* you will be saved​
Good one...
All 3 are true, of course, but the context is what determines their validity.
We can say we are saved right now, but that will really be determined at the final judgement. We need to remain "in Him" until the end for the claim to be finalized.
We can say we are being saved, as God has given us all we will require to maintain a life walked in the light.
We can say we will be saved, as the day of final judgement grows ever closer.

We have all we need to remain in Christ, so we will be saved.
But it all depends on us remaining in Him.

He gave us the boat and the oars...Let's row !

Hoping

Banned
Actually, Paul says that all three are guaranteed for those in the body of Christ. The reason is that WE do not save ourselves. Christ saves us and He will not fail.

I notice again the lack of references to the scripture. Am I, again, to guess which verses that you're referring to?

Col 2:8-15 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:8) Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (2:10) And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: (2:11) In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: (2:12) Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. (2:13) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (2:14) Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; (2:15) [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Since Christ has forgiven ALL of my trespasses, I have nothing to be condemned for. Praise Christ!
If one commits trespasses, they are not "in Him".