Best Friends Not Allowed

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How does discipline relate to the context of this thread?
Bad children are disciplined.
Since you have decided a child is bad for inviting a friend at school to his happy birthday party, then what discipline should be administered to that bad child?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Bad children are disciplined.
Since you have decided a child is bad for inviting a friend at school to his happy birthday party, then what discipline should be administered to that bad child?

Sit in the corner for 30 minutes. And no dessert with dinner.

glassjester

Do you see what this is doing?
It's telling little children that they are bad if they [now pay close attention] invite a friend at school to their happy birthday party [let that sink in real good].

Why on earth would you allow anyone to demonize little children for that ?
Why would you give in to that kind of insanity?

I'm not demonizing anybody.

It's just not the school's job to facilitate party planning.

I'd say even if the kid's going to invite every student in his class, don't do it in school. What's the big deal about having the kid call his friends up? Or teaching him how to mail invitations?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So the kid realizes he has feelings.

DUH

You have to intentionally hurt someone to teach them about feelings? :confused:

A burnt hand might really drill into a kid not to touch a hot stove but are you going to purposely hold their hand on it?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not demonizing anybody.

It's just not the school's job to facilitate party planning.

I'd say even if the kid's going to invite every student in his class, don't do it in school. What's the big deal about having the kid call his friends up? Or teaching him how to mail invitations?

A school should have no authority at all to tell a child how many of his school friends he has to invite, or how they are invited.
Turning a child's happy birthday party into a political agenda on 'feelings' is insane.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe. :idunno:
Maybe????
It will.

But I don't see the relevance since this isn't about discipline.
It isn't about 'hurt feelings' either, as every child's desire is to invite their personal friends to their own happy birthday party.
I mean, it's not good logic to expect anything other than wanting to invite only their own personal good friends to their party.
Unless every child in the school class is a personal good friend, then there is no sound reason to invite them all for a child's personal happy birthday party.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong or bad about only inviting your close personal good friends to your party.
From the neighborhood, or school, or church, etc.
NOTHING wrong with it.
And reasonable folks from the neighborhood, school, church, etc. know this.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wait. They are?

I thought they were saying it's "bad" to misuse school time as party invitation time.
It's not a misuse to invite only your close personal good friends to your happy birthday party at a school.
In fact, it's reasonable to do so.
What is unreasonable is to insist no child can be invited at school unless all the school children are invited at school.
That's absurd.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It isn't about 'hurt feelings' either, as every child's desire is to invite their personal friends to their own happy birthday party.
I mean, it's not good logic to expect anything other than wanting to invite only their own personal good friends to their party.
Unless every child in the school class is a personal good friend, then there is no sound reason to invite them all for a child's personal happy birthday party.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong or bad about only inviting your close personal good friends to your party.
From the neighborhood, or school, or church, etc.
NOTHING wrong with it.
And reasonable folks from the neighborhood, school, church, etc. know this.

All the school wants you to do is avoid classroom invitations to prevent kids from feeling left out. It's a nice sentiment but I question how practical it is, as news of a party will probably get out somehow and kids will still know they weren't invited.

glassjester

If it's not wrong, then why tell them it's wrong?

I would guess the school just doesn't want the kids who never get invited to anything to have to publicly go through that every time a classmate's birthday party comes around.

Is it really so burdensome to have your kid call up his friends? I did it as a kid. I didn't mind. For crying out loud, they were my friends. I was happy to call them up and ask them to come to my birthday party. I would normally see them outside of school anyway (again, these were my friends), so I could easily just invite them in person.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All the school wants you to do is avoid classroom invitations to prevent kids from feeling left out. It's a nice sentiment but I question how practical it is, as news of a party will probably get out somehow and kids will still know they weren't invited.
Of course they are going to talk about it.
And there is nothing wrong with talking about it.

And you are right, it renders the rule of invitations at school useless.

What are they going to do next?
Stop having show and tell about what you did over the weekend or summer vacation, because some kid might feel 'hurt' that he didn't get to go to Disney Land over the summer?
Stop telling in school what you got for Christmas because some kid might feel hurt that he didn't get what you got?
Stop telling in school that your pee-wee baseball team won the championship, because some kid might feel hurt that his team didn't?

Stop the madness!!!!

glassjester

What are they going to do next?
Stop having show and tell about what you did over the weekend or summer vacation, because some kid might feel 'hurt' that he didn't get to go to Disney Land over the summer?
Stop telling in school what you got for Christmas because some kid might feel hurt that he didn't get what you got?
Stop telling in school that your pee-wee baseball team won the championship, because some kid might feel hurt that his team didn't?

Or stop telling kids that they should plan their birthday parties on their own time, because some kid might "feel hurt" that he didn't get to do it in school?

It's pure insanity!