Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heino

Originally posted by Wadsworth
I agree absolutely that there are no random events, and everything has a cause. This is what scientists and evolutionists have been trying to tell you. Evolution is NOT random. However, it says nothing abou God, and if you want to invoke the first cause argument, (which has been repeatedly demolished by cleverer people than me), we can with greater justification claim that yhe Universe has existed for ever, and so does not need an arbitrary invented cause like "God" to account for it. After all we live with the Universe, it is all around us, but where is God?
God is in you, in me, in everyone.
God is in the rocks, the trees, the very atoms that make the universe.
God is time, space, energy.

Oh, I think we are kidding ourselves. I knew all along that it is not possible for us to prove or disprove God. It is beyond our ability. It is like trying to travel faster than light. It always ends in an impass. I am not going to try to convert anyone. Let's just leave it at a point that we disagree, and stop.

Heino

Heino: it sounds as if you are a Pantheist. Careful, Pantheists have been condemned in the past for heresy

As I understand, a pantheist believes that all Gods exist. I believe only in one God. Another definition of pantheism is that God is nothing but the universe. I believe that God is not the universe -- just that a part of him exists in all things, for as the Bible says, all things exist though him.

Heino

I think you assume too much, taking primitive writings as scientific fact. We do not know that this God created the laws of Physics or anything else. Has it not occurred to someone that we could just ask him, right now, this minute. After all the Creationists have all got hot-lines to him: Question: "do you or do you not exist, and did you or did you not create everything." I think we are entitled to know. Then we can all go home and stop arguing.
I do not consider the Bible to be a book of science. It is a book of man's experiences with God. I would not use the Bible as a scientific text book. That would be ridiculous. The Bible, Christianity, and God are things that I accept on faith, and faith alone. It is a deeply personal thing, and unlike some people, I am not trying to convince anyone else that I have all of the answers

I do not think that God ever does things like answer the questions of presumptuous humans every time they ask, or debate it in their forums. It is by faith that we either accept him or reject him. No fire and sulphur speech. I am not going to evangelize you. I'm more interested in the science discussion. Perhaps that is part of the plan; maybe when we can stop arguing so bad with each other, he will apear and congratulate us on our achievement.

I want to know why I must be interrogated by both sides like so. Is it not possible to discuss without having to be an enemy or an ally? I side with those who are scientific, but I also have faith of my own. I do not believe I need to chose one or the other. I can have both, as they are not mutually exclusive concepts.

I

Wadsworth

Originally posted by Heino
God is in you, in me, in everyone.
God is in the rocks, the trees, the very atoms that make the universe.
God is time, space, energy.

Oh, I think we are kidding ourselves. I knew all along that it is not possible for us to prove or disprove God. It is beyond our ability. It is like trying to travel faster than light. It always ends in an impass. I am not going to try to convert anyone. Let's just leave it at a point that we disagree, and stop.

very good advice

LightSon

Greetings Heino and bmyers,

Originally posted by bmyers
First, I'm going to have to say up front that much of my response here could be taken as disrespectful to this belief system; I do not intend such … I hope you will take the following in the manner it is intended.
Thanks. I will not infer disrespect. I maintain that the truth ought to be able to withstand some scrutiny.

I, too, subscribe to scripture, but I draw the line when parts of it are open to interpretation…. The Bible is clearly figurative and poetic in some places, and clearly literal in others.
I agree that Genesis is open to interpretation. If Genesis is intended as figurative, then I’d like to understand exactly what the referents are. Figures still shadow something concrete or they serve no purpose.

I believe that evolution is one of his great inventions. It does not shake my faith to know that the universe is older than 6,000 years. I do not think less of mankind because we evolved from homo erectus.
I care a great deal about science. I care less about how old the universe is and more about uphold God’s integrity. As I’ve said before, there is only 1 ontological truth. If one were to watch the year-to-year mutation of the evolutionary model, it is clearly not something I want to put my faith in. Is evolution true?

As a computer programmer, I’ve been so certain that a piece of code was “correct”, only to have egg on my face days later, when bugs appear. Computer code is a form of actualization. To the degree that I can understand a model, I can attempt to write code which will make that model come alive. Even when I have all the pieces right in front of me, I struggle to find a stable solution.

When I consider that evolutionists are attempting to model the generation of the universe, it is simply mind boggling. To think they could scratch the surface of depicting reality is a stretch, yet they will wax dogmatic that this or that occurred billions and billions of years ago. Then, every few years, they change.

Given this sandy foundation, the Bible appeals to me. It makes substantive claims about our origins and purpose of existence, and does so with authority. If inspired, surely this is a reason to give credence to it. If not found factual, then this would undermine my premise, that the Bible is from God.

I believe there is good evidence for localized floods in the region of the middle east. I believe that whoever wrote that the world was flooded, could easily have been exaggerating, because as far as the people who experienced the flood were concerned, it was the whole world. These people could not see the whole world. They only saw what they could from their boat. The earth is round, and you cannot see beyond the horizon. What is not important is the size of the flood. What is important is the lesson learned from the chapter. As I said earlier, [how] many animals and the exact size of the ark is trivial. What is important is that we understand that God can pass judgement on us at any time, and we behave as he commands, and treat one another as we wish to be treated, and we must honor God's commands.
Okay. I think I agree that you’ve isolated the more important concept.

I do not believe that genesis has to be false in order for evolution to be true. I believe that enough facts are left out of Genesis to allow them to be compatible.
If I could get to this point, I might be less belligerent towards evolution. I need scripture to be true (and trustworthy) even it a particular passage is judged to be allegorical or figurative.

I believe that you are thinking about things that were left not said in the Bible.
Okay. The Bible is the basis of my worldview, so if I am inferring facts not in evidence, then please bring that to my attention.

I must confess that I do not let my hair grow long, I do not stone people to death who sin against God, and I was never circumscised, all of which are things that God tells us to do (or at least he told the Hebrews to do). There are clearly commandments we have got from God which no western Christians practice, you or I included. How do you determine which commandments we follow, and which we don't?
I’m a dispensationalist. As an interpretive tool, this allows me to understand that God deals with different peoples in different times in different ways. God chose to manage the nation of Israel according to the Mosaic code. While I can learn from their experience, I am not directly bound by it. I wish I had hair to grow long. I would not generally advocate stoning (with the possible exception of child rapists). I do not think circumcision is required in this dispensation.

There are many hard passages in the Bible, but traditionally I hold that there is a resolution which upholds Biblical inerrancy.

I do not understand, for instance, why it would be impossible to judge the earliest stories in the Bible - the Genesis accounts being the most obvious example - to be merely a collection of Hebrew myths, allegorical at best, while still believing and trusting in the truth of the other lessons of a moral and spiritual nature that the Bible has to offer.
If a text is written as poetry, proverb or allegory, then there should be contextual earmarks indicating such. I currently don’t hold anything in scripture to be myth. A myth is a fable, a falsehood. Of course, this is why I get into trouble with non-literalists.

The Bible itself makes the claim that it is, in its entirety, "directly inspired by God" and therefore assumed to be inerrant. However, it should be clear that if it is not in fact so inspired, at least in its entirety, it could still make such a claim. The claim would just happen to be one of those parts which is not from God, and thus a human-induced error. In short, the validity of any given piece of the Bible says very, very little about whether or not God exists, or whether the moral and spiritual values given in this text are correct. To believe otherwise - to insist that either the entire Bible MUST be true, or else none of it could possibly be trusted - seems to me to be setting up one's faith as a house of cards. Should any one piece be removed, the entire structure falls for lack of support.
Yes. That is my position. This is why many inerrantists can get quite fussy when the scriptures are attacked. That is why there is so much fervor of the evolution issue. Heino seems to have resolved the matter by judging Genesis to be figurative.
I would have an easier time accepting its figurative value over having it adjudicated as myth. The former communicates something true; the latter is fantasy and serves no contemporary purpose or application. Further, the latter impugns the veracity of the document; i.e. makes the Bible not credible.

That the entire Bible might NOT be literally true in fact says only one thing about the nature of God - that he does not reveal himself quite as explictly or clearly as might otherwise be the case.
Ouch. That’s a sore spot. Many argue for the perspicuity of scripture. I personally struggle with that. Given the plethora of denominations, it would seem that God intended scripture to be enigmatic on a number of specifics. So you’ve got me over a barrel here.

Fundamentally, though, your choices are still that - your choices.
Yes. But, given scripture (as inspired), and given that I am being honest in my interpretive approach, then my morality is a derivation and not a machination. If I am not being honest, then this thinking falls over.

And oddly enough, those "boundaries" seem to be drawn pretty much the same by all of man's religions. There are clearly differences in what one "should" do in order to be personally saved or exempted from whatever punishment a given religion describes, but the basic codes of behavior - the fundamental morality in each system - seem to be very much the same. Killing is wrong, stealing is wrong, and so forth. Why is that?
You seem to be suggesting a common thread amongst religions.

Please forgive me as I strive to view my worldview as distinct, so please allow a short digression. Christianity has a distinction, and that being the centrality and uniqueness of its gospel message. Other religions stress becoming a better person, so as to either please god or just simply for the intrinsic value of “being good”.

God calls me to be perfect. In fact, only perfection will be allowed into God’s presence. One of the lessons learned from the Old Testament is that man can never rise to the level of perfection that God demands. So now man has 2 problems to over come. First is the stain on our souls of all the wrongs we’ve done, and second is that fact that we can never achieve a level of righteousness required to enter God’s presence. I believe that both these problems are solved in the person and work of Christ (Romans 4:25).

Other religions fall over because they do not address these problems. Guru’s and “holy” men attempt to become better. They fail in the specific goal, but also do nothing for the crimes committed by mankind in general. Man has done unspeakably cruel things to his brother: murder, rape, enslavement, stealing food from each other. The guru’s self denial and mystical awareness can offer no healing to the street person who has stooped to murder his neighbor over a loaf of bread. How can such an cosmic imbalance and moral injustice ever find resolution? There is no way to be “good enough” to makeup for taking another man’s life. I believe that this consideration is solved in the person and work of Christ.

Originally posted by LightSon
for me to question the Genesis account is to question the resurrection of Christ. If one could be false, so could the other. Once Christ is dead, I have no compelling reason to trust the Bible or the God purportedly revealed therein.

I'm sorry, but that still strikes me as quite a leap; you are saying in effect that your status as a believing Christian is totally and utterly dependent on the literal accuracy of the Genesis account (again, pull the one card out, and watch the entire structure crumble).
Yes. It is a leap isn’t it. If scripture is inspired by God, then it is trustworthy. I trust what God has said – it is a matter of honoring His credibility.

There are, in my experience, any number of apparently extremely devout Christians who do not have this same problem
Thank you. I appreciate that. Heino is no doubt one of them. I’m trying to pry my mind open so as to understand how one can keep the baby, yet loose the dirty bath water.

Literally, no; but then, if "breathed into Man" is taken as allegorically referring to WHATEVER process God used to bring forth an intelligent species on Earth, what's the problem? Is it a greater miracle to mold a human from dust and "breathe life" into the body, or to arrange a process to operate over hundreds of millions of years? If anything, the former description reads to me just the same as any other primitive creation story - only the minor details are different.
Yes I see your point and am giving it consideration.

Man ceases to be a special object of God's love and interest.

Why? Does God have a short attention span, such that he sees things as less interesting if he has to spend a long time in their making? (In contrast, we tend to be very impressed with human craftsmen when they spend a long time perfecting something...) Most theologists seem to consider God as being "outside" of time, anyway - a day or a billion years, what's the difference? It would seem only the fact that we humans can't really comprehend the latter. In insisting on a six-day creation, do you force God down to human scale?
I only insist on a six-day creation in order to honor the intent and authority of scripture. If I can come to a better and still-honest resolution by seeing it as figurative then so be it.

Nevertheless, I see your overarching point that God’s attention span regarding man as being special, need not be lost within the failings of my oversimplified view. Your keen logic is starting to bug me, but bring it on. I can take it.

Do you see how the whole Biblical theme of redemption begins to fall over? There is no reason why a man should cleave unto his wife. Marital boundaries can be deemed anachronistic. If we are merely two biological life forms, looking to procreate, I might as well spread my seed wherever I choose.
Why? Even the most atheistic of evolutionary scientists would note that there are many species that mate for life, because it has proven to be in their best interests to do so; there is no reason mankind has to be an exception. But if coming from a theistic perspective, how does the process employed to create the human species have anything to do with the behaviors expected of the final result? If you believe in God, and yet reject the literal reading of Genesis, what you're saying is that God still made it all, he just used this other process to do it - a process that until very recently mankind could not even begin to comprehend. How does that change the rules - the moral code - that God would still be presumed to have set up?
Again, your logic puts me in a corner. I hate it when that happens.

Last edited:

Wadsworth

Thanks. I will not infer disrespect. I maintain that the truth ought to be able to withstand some scrutiny.

I agree that Genesis is open to interpretation. If Genesis is intended as figurative, then I’d like to understand exactly what the referents are. Figures still shadow something concrete or they serve no purpose.

I care a great deal about science. I care less about how old the universe is and more about uphold God’s integrity. As I’ve said before, there is only 1 ontological truth. If one were to watch the year-to-year mutation of the evolutionary model, it is clearly not something I want to put my faith in. Is evolution true?

As a computer programmer, I’ve been so certain that a piece of code was “correct”, only to have egg on my face days later, when bugs appear. Computer code is a form of actualization. To the degree that I can understand a model, I can attempt to write code which will make that model come alive. Even when I have all the pieces right in front of me, I struggle to find a stable solution.

When I consider that evolutionists are attempting to model the generation of the universe, it is simply mind boggling. To think they could scratch the surface of depicting reality is a stretch, yet they will wax dogmatic that this or that occurred billions and billions of years ago. Then, every few years, they change.

Given this sandy foundation, the Bible appeals to me. It makes substantive claims about our origins and purpose of existence, and does so with authority. If inspired, surely this is a reason to give credence to it. If not found factual, then this would undermine my premise, that the Bible is from God.

If I could get to this point, I might be less belligerent towards evolution. I need scripture to be true (and trustworthy) even it a particular passage is judged to be allegorical or figurative.

Okay. The Bible is the basis of my worldview, so if I am inferring facts not in evidence, then please bring that to my attention.

I’m a dispensationalist. As an interpretive tool, this allows me to understand that God deals with different peoples in different times in different ways. God chose to manage the nation of Israel according to the Mosaic code. While I can learn from their experience, I am not directly bound by it. I wish I had hair to grow long. I would not generally advocate stoning (with the possible exception of child rapists). I do not think circumcision is required in this dispensation.

There are many hard passages in the Bible, but traditionally I hold that there is a resolution which upholds Biblical inerrancy.

If a text is written as poetry, proverb or allegory, then there should be contextual earmarks indicating such. I currently don’t hold anything in scripture to be myth. A myth is a fable, a falsehood. Of course, this is why I get into trouble with non-literalists.

Yes. That is my position. This is why many inerrantists can get quite fussy when the scriptures are attacked. That is why there is so much fervor of the evolution issue. Heino seems to have resolved the matter by judging Genesis to be figurative.
I would have an easier time accepting its figurative value over having it adjudicated as myth. The former communicates something true; the latter is fantasy and serves no contemporary purpose or application. Further, the latter impugns the veracity of the document; i.e. makes the Bible not credible.

Ouch. That’s a sore spot. Many argue for the perspicuity of scripture. I personally struggle with that. Given the plethora of denominations, it would seem that God intended scripture to be enigmatic on a number of specifics. So you’ve got me over a barrel here.

Yes. But, given scripture (as inspired), and given that I am being honest in my interpretive approach, then my morality is a derivation and not a machination. If I am not being honest, then this thinking falls over.

Please forgive me as I strive to view my worldview as distinct, so please allow a short digression. Christianity has a distinction, and that being the centrality and uniqueness of its gospel message. Other religions stress becoming a better person, so as to either please god or just simply for the intrinsic value of “being good”.

God calls me to be perfect. In fact, only perfection will be allowed into God’s presence. One of the lessons learned from the Old Testament is that man can never rise to the level of perfection that God demands. So now man has 2 problems to over come. First is the stain on our souls of all the wrongs we’ve done, and second is that fact that we can never achieve a level of righteousness required to enter God’s presence. I believe that both these problems are solved in the person and work of Christ (Romans 4:25).

Other religions fall over because they do not address these problems. Guru’s and “holy” men attempt to become better. They fail in the specific goal, but also do nothing for the crimes committed by mankind in general. Man has done unspeakably cruel things to his brother: murder, rape, enslavement, stealing food from each other. The guru’s self denial and mystical awareness can offer no healing to the street person who has stooped to murder his neighbor over a loaf of bread. How can such an cosmic imbalance and moral injustice ever find resolution? There is no way to be “good enough” to makeup for taking another man’s life. I believe that this consideration is solved in the person and work of Christ.

Yes. It is a leap isn’t it. If scripture is inspired by God, then it is trustworthy. I trust what God has said – it is a matter of honoring His credibility.

Thank you. I appreciate that. Heino is no doubt one of them. I’m trying to pry my mind open so as to understand how one can keep the baby, yet loose the dirty bath water.

I only insist on a six-day creation in order to honor the intent and authority of scripture. If I can come to a better and still-honest resolution by seeing it as figurative then so be it.

Nevertheless, I see your overarching point that God’s attention span regarding man as being special, need not be lost within the failings of my oversimplified view. Your keen logic is starting to bug me, but bring it on. I can take it.

hello Lightson: surely the fact that Evolution mutates, by your own admission, means that Evolution is a factual account of the origin and development of life. Of course it mutates, as do all scientific theories. If they did not, there would be no advance. What you are implying is that because scientists keep find newer and better ways of doing things that therefore the whole process is suspect. For instance do you think it likely that having accurately calculated the age of the earth to 4.55 billion years, they are then going to turn round to-morrow and say, oh sorry, now we think it is only 4.5 DAYS old. of course not. They might refine the dating by a few million years, that is all. Anyway, one does not have Faith in Evolution or any other science. faith is for religion only. You have to learn to live with a certain amount of uncertainty in Science. I can, and I am still sane,( I think).

Wadsworth

ALL religions, including Christianity fall down when it comes to explaining mans inhumanity to man. Christianity has the most blood-soaked history of all. Also you query why it is that religions develope a common thread and come to the same conclusions like killing and stealing are wrong. All moral systems converge apon the same solutions to the same human problems. This is called Convergent Evolution. Humans everywhere are much the same, so we all develope the same responses to moral problems. This is the Naturalistic interpretation, and is quite independent of the existence of any God, whether Jehovah, or Vishnu.

Wadsworth

re: evolution and natural morality

re: evolution and natural morality

I am trying to contribute to the discussion but am not sure if |I am doing it in the correct places!

LightSon

Re: re: evolution and natural morality

Re: re: evolution and natural morality

I am trying to contribute to the discussion but am not sure if |I am doing it in the correct places!
Greetins Wadsworth,
Yes you are posting in the correct place. Your contributions are noted and I'm thinkin' on my response(s).

attention

What is wrong with this:
God created the universe. He created the laws of physics. He created the laws of chemistry and atomic particles. He created the earth. Then he created life, and he created a process called evolution to help life adapt to changes on the earth, of which there have been many.

The only problem with this is that you want to have a cause for the universe, and place that cause outside of the universe.

If your logic infers that that is necessary, then why isn't it necessary for God also to have a cause outside of itself?

You can not have it only one way.

Maybe the problem is that you think the universe needs a cause for existing in the first place.

Let us just suppose, this cause for the universe, did not exist.

What then?

Last edited:

LightSon

Hi Wadsworth,
HOw would you characterize yourself? Atheist, agnostic or theist.

hello Lightson: surely the fact that Evolution mutates, by your own admission, means that Evolution is a factual account of the origin and development of life. Of course it mutates, as do all scientific theories. If they did not, there would be no advance. What you are implying is that because scientists keep find newer and better ways of doing things that therefore the whole process is suspect. For instance do you think it likely that having accurately calculated the age of the earth to 4.55 billion years, they are then going to turn round to-morrow and say, oh sorry, now we think it is only 4.5 DAYS old. of course not. They might refine the dating by a few million years, that is all. Anyway, one does not have Faith in Evolution or any other science. faith is for religion only. You have to learn to live with a certain amount of uncertainty in Science. I can, and I am still sane,( I think).
If you are arguing that because the theory of evolution is continually being “upgraded”, that I ought to have more confidence in it, then I see your point. I do not think I agree, but I see your point.

My point is that by the theory’s very nature, it is at best a guess. You presume the guess is getting perpetually better. I hold that it is still a wild approach and inherently unsuitable for much confidence. How much credence do I want to put in a guess? Given that God has come and whispered the truth in my ear, I opt to trust what He has said.

I have no desire to be arguing for a flat earth. If science could prove any aspects of evolution to me, that would be different. If evolution is the way that God fashioned the universe, then I would be compelled to find a way to reconcile such with the Biblical record. Failing that, the Bible becomes suspect – its absolute authority falls over. Once the Bible is held suspect, we move to a case by case study and other themes would need to be scrutinized. I think bmyers’ point was that if God inspired anything, why must He inspire everything? I might tend to agree with that, except that I would lack the tools to make the distinction. I’m still considering the ramifications of such an idea, although just thinking about it would probably get me excommunicated.

ALL religions, including Christianity fall down when it comes to explaining mans inhumanity to man. Christianity has the most blood-soaked history of all.
Christianity teaches that man is a fallen being, and as such, has “wicked” heart.
It is this selfish desire to stray from God and His precepts that launches man into behaving badly. I fail to see how the acknowledgement of this dark heart in man impugns my worldview.

Christianity then provides a remedy for the evil heart of man.

This “blood-soaked” history of Christianity in practice does not detract from this tenet. Man is still flawed. Christians are flawed. The truth of scripture is not impaired by the bad behavior of anyone, including its followers. Perhaps you can expand on your thoughts.

Corky the Cat

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by attention
The only problem with this is that you want to have a cause for the universe, and place that cause outside of the universe.

If your logic infers that that is necessary, then why isn't it necessary for God also to have a cause outside of itself?

You can not have it only one way.

Maybe the problem is that you think the universe needs a cause for existing in the first place.

Let us just suppose, this cause for the universe, did not exist.

What then?

I think this is the crux of the matter (pun intended) if God created the universe from nothing then God was also born from nothing. But nothing = nothing so God = nothing.

I think I have more respect for Lightson than Heino. In Heino's view God is not the creator but the transfomer. Or am I missing something?

D the Atheist

Impossible!

Impossible!

God created the universe. He created the laws of physics. He created the laws of chemistry and atomic particles. He created the earth. Then he created life, and he created a process called evolution to help life adapt to changes on the earth, of which there have been many. Wait a few hundred million years, until evolution has come up with beings like us, and God come down and starts talking to us, to teach us.

Apart from this being all predetermined by a god and therefore interfering with the religious belief of free-will as a determinant of good and evil actions, it does raise some interesting question concerning the alleged soul.

Where does the alleged presence of a soul fit into this scenario?

When was it introduced?

If it happened at some stage of developing consciousness did the parents and all before the first recipients miss out on the alleged eternal life?

Or does every creature have a soul? (Even grass?)

And how do we know that a soul even exists?

As humans can be cloned from every cell in the body (Which are shed in the millions each day) does each cell have a soul?

isaiah 1:18

More thoughts to add to the mix D the Atheist....

On that soul concept, check this out: (or more really about having an existence before being born and this may be subjective)

Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Weird no?

And that is God taking. Take it or leave it, as they say.

coffeeman

Has anyone noticed the fact that when the atheists post here they speak of God as an "IT" or thing? When the believers post we speak of God as a person.

This is a most important point. For if God was or is just an impersonal thing then the believer's argument dissolves into vapor...as does the atheist's view vanish if God is a living being who brings things to be by His' word.

If there is no God and only things and forces then those things and forces gave birth to what? Created what? More things and forces?
The impersonal universe theory cannot contain life as we know it without introducing a higher power ...if we say the universe always was and it just recycles then what is wrong with it? Is evolution only effective up until a certain time and then has to start over again? This would mean the rare to impossible odds of any life evolving into anything would have to be repeated over and over and over ad infinity...if the universe was not always , then it had to have a start and we are back to the original question of how did it start?

If the universe is impersonal and is only filled with inanimate objects then only complex inanimate objects could result. There would be no reason for anything else to occupy that place...chemicals and forces that do not think would not will themselves to evolve into higher things.

If the universe is created by a living, personal, intelligent and thinking God then we would find living, intelligent and thinking beings dwelling there...certain laws of physics that could be understood by those intelligent beings and the most intriguing of all ... the ability to create things such as art, music and web sites.

So, what do we find in our universe?

D the Atheist

Originally posted by isaiah 1:18
More thoughts to add to the mix D the Atheist....

On that soul concept, check this out: (or more really about having an existence before being born and this may be subjective)

Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Weird no?

And that is God taking. Take it or leave it, as they say.

Isaiah 1:18,

Without supporting evidence, as you will no doubt have guessed already, I’ll have to leave it. :)

By the way, do you remember this before birth/conception time (Take your pick) yourself?

Last edited:

Techinically speaking, no evolutionist or atheist should be a member of SETI.(Search for extra terrestial life) If Life on earth was completely random and considering the odds of that randomness, why bother looking?

It's not lottery odds. It's much much much much...(did I say much?)... much greater odds than 1:21,000,000.

But coffeman had a good point.

I'd like to add that time is the enemy of the evolutionist as far as trying to sort out out beginnings. Every minute that ticks away means a fossil further along in decay. So one part of the theory of evolution may remain merely a theory - the origin of species. The evolutionists only real hope is that this science survives at least 1 million years into the future (and humans do) to see if man has taken another step up a supposed evolutionary ladder. I find parts of evolutionary "science" to be very unscientific in and only in that a lot can not be put to experiment and can therefore not be falsified by tests.

Sidenot: there was an article in the NY times today talking about when humans first lost their body hair. (you know, since going from ape-like to homosapiens). The speculation was dear. One idea: to ward off lice and the associated disease. I'm probably not being fair in my recollection, but the speculations, though seemingly rational, ran wild. Have a look at the article it's in the science section. nytimes dot com. At this point it becomes voodoo science. Almost as if they are in a rush to patently claim "see? No God."

"No god" does not solve world problems. Ask Stalin & co.. They'll tell ya.

D the Atheist

Originally posted by isaiah 1:18

"No god" does not solve world problems. Ask Stalin & co.. They'll tell ya.

A “ god” was very helpful with the killing of Witches and keeping the Crusades rolling along though, wasn’t it? (And other stuff :) )

Originally posted by D the Atheist
Isaiah 1:18,

Without supporting evidence, as you will no doubt have guessed already, I’ll have to leave it. :)

By the way, do you remember this before birth/conception time (Take your pick) yourself?

No. :chuckle:

Anyway, to answer the second part of your question from you rother post; A twin is a clone. But if you know any twins, they are only twins in appearance.

The ultimate real-world test to see if you have a soul would be to invent a teleportation device that merely transmits your molecules to another location. Like in Star Trek. Interested to see what comes out on the other side.

Can't say that it will work or if the idea of the machine is even plausible because... without corroborating evidence....

Status
Not open for further replies.