Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

D the Atheist

Originally posted by Turbo
Even if a man who claimed to be God demonstrated his power over nature and weather, healed the sick and blind, and raised others and himself from the dead, all while fulfilling countless direct prophecies and prefigurements, we shouldn't count that as evidence that God exist, right PureX?

Turbo, it is not beyond feasibility that were we to survive for another million years as a species, all the time gaining knowledge about nature, that we may be able to perform those tasks.

This would not make us the unlimited god that is now being guessed about though, would it?

attention

Turbo:

What is your definition of God in that this being can exist?

If it is the definition which I used, then according to my proof, I can state it does not exist.

But I have not made an all-inclusive disproof for every possible definition of God.

If I would declare my PC to be God, then for sure: It does exist!

But that is now what we usually define as God, isn't it?

What definition of God can exist, other then the one I have used, that would realy deserve the name God?

Anyone?

attention

PureX:

Do you agree with the fact that I gave a disproof of a particular God, and that therefore it is the case that a disproof of God is possible?

Do you also agree that this disproof of God is the disproof of that what is normally understood as God, a being that BOTH has the property of Necessary Being and a Conscious Being?

If you don't agree, then please show me why you don't agree.

Thx.

PureX

Originally posted by attention
PureX:

Do you agree with the fact that I gave a disproof of a particular God, and that therefore it is the case that a disproof of God is possible?

Do you also agree that this disproof of God is the disproof of that what is normally understood as God, a being that BOTH has the property of Necessary Being and a Conscious Being?

If you don't agree, then please show me why you don't agree.

Thx.
You stood an idea up against an idea, and claimed one cancelled the other. You can have that if you really want it. But you proved nothing about the existence of God independant of our ideas. And you can't.

As long as the definition of God includes the idea that this "God" exists independantly of our idea of God (and in every case I know of it does), then we will not be able to prove or disprove the existence of God one way or the other, because the definition we are giving God surpasses the limitations of our own knowledge. We can't reasonably claim to know what we don't know. It's that simple.

Now, if you redefine the idea of God so that it does not exceed the limits of human knowledge, then you will be able to determine if THAT God exists or not. But every concept of God that I am aware of includes the idea that this God extends beyond the limits of our knowledge. And as such, we can't claim what we know as a determinant regarding the existence of this "God".

attention

PureX:

You have a remarkable talent for obscuring and obfuscating things.

The 'idea' we have started with, was well defined. You can not have that in another way, it turns out to be the case that such a God can NOT exist.

So, you must define then a lesser God.
It can be a consciouss God, but then it can not at the same time be a necessary being.
It can be a necessary being, but then it can not at the same time be a consciouss being.

If you do not accept that, then you are not accepting the consequences of our own logic.

I would call that unreasonable.

Even when we can not know everything that exists, we MUST claim to know the things we CAN know.

When you have the point of view that we can not know with our knowledge about wether or not God exists, even when mere logic states that it can not be the case that this idea we have of God exists, then you merely admit the weakness of your own logic and understanding.

It's that same weakness of logic and understanding that causes you to think in the first place that a God would have to exist, while there obviously isn't one.

Last edited:

Heino

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
Heino, we were discussing creation models at the time. Here is what you said.
Thank you for specifying. Now I know what you were asking about.
Now, you said you were aware of many creation models, and that each religion had its own, down to a different version for each denomination of Christianity (I find the term 'sect' to have negative connotations).
Sect is more universal. In German, French, Italian, and English, the word is nearly identical. But that's OK, Denomination is okay with me.

Yes, perhaps I was not being so clear.
You seem to be trying to change the subject into interpretations of Genesis now, which is not exactly honest, given that we were specifically discussing models. Obviously you can see why I'm having a hard time believing that you're really a Christian, as I don't believe a God-fearing Christian would stoop to this level of dishonesty in debate.
I was not being dishonest. Forgive me for trying to discuss too many topics at once. It is better that we stick to one, yes? I know it is better for me, because I am a nerd with a short attention, and get side-tracked easily, to my own fault. Perhaps it is more accurate that I did not "articulate" what I was saying more clear. I meaned to say that different denominations interpret genesis differently, yes. I also meaned that I have heard different "creation science" versions. I am aware of "Old earth creation" and "young earth creation". These two positions are both against evolution, yet are mutually exclusive in some respect.

In my opinion, young earth creation is less meshing with science facts than old earth creation. Things like techtonics, radioactive decay and atomic oscillation rates are well established. The flood of Noah does not explain fossil order. A flood leaves debris in great disorder, even after hydraulic settling. The fossil order is not random. Specific species are found between specific zones. Now I have read some young earth literature. They readily acknowledge the order of the fossils, yet claim that hydraulic drag ordered the fossils. After looking up hydraulic drag, I found that it only sorts by weight and size. Tiny trilobites are not heavier than humans. It makes no sense that they are found consistantly lower than all mammals and reptiles, if you go by the flood model.
Also, I'm curious as to some of the predictions that the various creation models make that have been proven wrong.
I beleive that is what I clarified here. It was nothing as auspicious as it may have seemed at first. I apologise if I misled you on that. It was not intentional; it was just geeky of me.
Now obviously, this particular post was very important to you, as you posted it several times (I went and deleted the extras for you), and I'd like to see you back up what you said.
Thank you for deleting the other posts. You are incorrect that the post was very important, though. I posted it several times because when I posted once, I got a 404 error. I hit back and attempted to post again and again. I finally gave up, and mourned the loss of a half-an-hour of typing, only to come back and find my message posted many times. I am sure it is not the first time someone had done this.

Heino

Originally posted by LightSon
Greetings Heino,

Good day to you, too!
You just described me, so I thought I would "ring in".
There is a panoply of worldviews and modes of thinking from which to choose. How do I make a decision? One of the values in my faith is that I have it on "good authority" that my worldview is arguably from God. God shows himself in nature. God shows himself in His Word. The Word of God is Christ. The Word of God is scripture. How do I know about God? I look to the Bible, those truths that God himself reveals. To the degree I believe it comes from God, I can have confidence in it.
I, too, subscribe to scripture, but I draw the line when parts of it are open to interpretation. The concept of the logos, for example -- the word - was invented by Greek philosophers (I beleive Socrates or maybe a predicessor of his). I do not believe that when the Bible says that "In the beginning was THE WORD... and the Lord was THE WORD..." it means that God was a word. The Logos concept, from the Ancient Greeks does not mean literally, a word. It means a THOUGHT, INTELLIGENCE, CONSCIOUSNESS. The Bible is clearly figurative and poetic in some places, and clearly literal in others. I do not believe that all of it should be taken literally, especially when one does not understand the origins of some of the concepts used in it. It would be like taking Shakespeare's version of Julius Caesar as a literal history. I do not believe that the Bible says anything which contradicts evolutionary theory. I believe that the contradictions are derrived from our flawed, human interpretations of the bible.

LIke you, I believe that God is revealed in his works. I believe that evolution is one of his great inventions. It does not shake my faith to know that the universe is older than 6,000 years. I do not think less of mankind because we evolved from homo erectus. In fact, one might imagine that Adam and Eve were the first fully modern humans, the end product of a process set into motion by God millions of years earlier. Of course, this is my opinion. I do not place much faith in this idea. It is, as we say, "idea stuff", just thoughts.

Consequently, I draw my views of morality from the Bible. "Thus saith the Lord,” means a great deal to me. This separates me from those who do whatever is right in their own eyes. The word of God limits my choices between boundaries, not of my own choosing.
I agree. However, I must confess that I do not let my hair grow long, I do not stone people to death who sin against God, and I was never circumscised, all of which are things that God tells us to do (or at least he told the Hebrews to do). There are clearly commandments we have got from God which no western Christians practice, you or I included. How do you determine which commandments we follow, and which we don't?
The reason this "works" for me is the presumption that the Bible is, in fact, from God and hence "true". If the flood is never happened or if the Genesis account is false, then I should not believe those accounts as being "true". If scripture has any error, then scripture might be lying to me about an array of issues, which heretofore I have accepted.
I believe there is good evidence for localized floods in the region of the middle east. I believe that whoever wrote that the world was flooded, could easily have been exaggerating, because as far as the people who experienced the flood were oncerned, it was the whole world. These people could not see the whole world. They only saw what they could from their boat. The earth is round, and you cannot see beyond the horizon. What is not important is the size of the flood. What is important is the lesson learned from the chapter. As I said earlier, hwo many animals and the exact size of the ark is trivial. What is important is that we understand that God can pass judgement on us at any time, and we behave as he commands, and treat one another as we wish to be treated, and we must honor God's commands.
In short, for me to question the Genesis account is to question the resurrection of Christ. If one could be false, so could the other. Once Christ is dead, I have no compelling reason to trust the Bible or the God purportedly revealed therein.
I do not believe that genesis has to be false in order for evolution to be true. I believe that enough facts are left out of Genesis to allow them to be compatible.
As a specific aside, if evolution is true, then you must agree that man is evolved from lower life forms of life. God can no longer be said to have "breathed" into man.
That all depends on whether you take Genesis 1 as literal or allegory. I believe that it is allegory. It is a lesson for us to learn from.
Man ceases to be a special object of God's love and interest.
how so? I believe that God spend millions of years making us evolve slowly, like a sculptor spends weeks and months on a masterpiece. As I say, we have no reason to take it literally.
Do you see how the whole Biblical theme of redemption begins to fall over? There is no reason why a man should cleave unto his wife. Marital boundaries can be deemed anachronistic. If we are merely two biological life forms, looking to procreate, I might as well spread my seed wherever I choose.
I look forward to your thoughts.
I do not understand how evolution means that we are not special. Why would God even bother to talk to the prophets, to send us Jesus the Messiah, and make this beautiful world for us to live in, if we are "merely biological life forms"? I believe that you are thinking about things that were left not said in the Bible. But I do not hold it against you. This is what fellowship is about -- two people talking about God. It doesn't matter if we agree, as long as we talk about it.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack
I'm not the one having problems with my style. If you don't like it, you're welcome to go to some other board.

Oh, there's no need for that extreme, Jack, if I simply don't like you're style. You're by no means the entirety of THIS "board," nor are you even one of the more engaging contributors. I'll stay here, but will generally ignore your more nonsensical attempts at argument. Pointing out the more egregious factual errors, of course, will continue as time permits.

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Bigotboy
I disagree. I think the resurrection of Jesus is very powerful evidence of God, but that is not our discussion here. We also have the eye witness testimony of Moses and a whole host of other people as outlined in the Bible (septuagent and either the Majority or Critical Text). You do not accept that testimony, and that is fine.

The question, however, was not "evidence," but rather "proof". Proof can be taken a number of ways, either in terms of the rigorous meanings that are applied to the word in the field of science or mathematics, or the far less rigid lay interpretation of the word (where it just means something like "convincing enough" for a given individual to behave as though the proposition in question were, in fact, "true"). Obviously, many people are convinced, personally, of the existence (or even non-existence) of God. But that's a far cry from the matter being "proven" either way in the rigorous sense, and I would tend to agree that the question cannot be conclusively answered either way, at least in the broadest sent ("is there A God?", meaning ANY God). It can, on the other hand, certainly be shown that certain specific ideas or concepts of God cannot be true, due to their being self-contradictory. But disproving any given concept of God does not disprove the possibility that SOME God exists.

Here I am trying to get the Scientific (which I assume means observable and repeatable) evidence for the Darwinian model.

OK, but first you'd better specify just what you mean by "the Darwinian model." I think you'll find that properly nailing that down takes some doing, at least more than the overly-simplistic notions of "the evolutionary theory" proposed by the laymen (a label which covers pretty much everyone on the creationist side of the discussion, by the way) would suggest. The way life comes into being and changes into various forms is truly not something that can be summed up in a few simple phrases, and as such shooting down such a simplistic understanding of it really doesn't say much about the truth of current thinking in the biological sciences.

Heino

Originally posted by Bigotboy
I took a look at the "eye" link that Analogous supplied, and I did not find any reason there to reject the notion of a creator. What I see in these debates is two differing opinions for the source of the observed results. One says natural selection, the other says a creator. It is interesting that the evolution community is looking for a LOGICAL progression to explain the resulting organ. I would think they would try to find the RANDOM process that produced the organ. Am I making a wrong conclusion here is thinking that every link the evolutionist finds to explain an existing state demonstrates that there is predetermined intelligence involved ?
It could very well be that evolution is guided by the hand of God. But I take objection to the use of the word "random" when talking about evolution. Like any chemical process, evolution is far from random. It is driven by the same cause-and-effect that the whole of nature seems to follow. Nothing in science happens at random. There is a specific cause for every specific event.

Stratnerd

H-

What do you think about mutation, respect to where it occurs, and historical events (e.g., the isolation of certain taxa by tectonic activity) or catostrophic events?

Heino

Originally posted by Stratnerd
H-

What do you think about mutation, respect to where it occurs, and historical events (e.g., the isolation of certain taxa by tectonic activity) or catostrophic events?

Okay, I am assuming that you are addressing me, because I believe Ima the only recent poster with a handle that begins with "H". Am I correct?

(assuming I read your message correct)
I think that genetic isolation is determined by many factors. Yes, plate techtonics is a factor. Yes, disasters are a factor (several bad years of drought or flooding can wipe out a whole region). Other factors that are reasonable are food supply and shortage, migration, and possibly listening to Country-Western Music. :)

bmyers

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Sorry for the late response to this, but I've been pretty much away from any and all computers for the past week. I'm trying to get caught up now, and this is one I particularly wanted to comment on:

Originally posted by LightSon
You just described me, so I thought I would "ring in".
There is a panoply of worldviews and modes of thinking from which to choose. How do I make a decision? One of the values in my faith is that I have it on "good authority" that my worldview is arguably from God. God shows himself in nature. God shows himself in His Word. The Word of God is Christ. The Word of God is scripture. How do I know about God? I look to the Bible, those truths that God himself reveals. To the degree I believe it comes from God, I can have confidence in it.

First, I'm going to have to say up front that much of my response here could be taken as disrepectful to this belief system; I do not intend such - I most certainly wish to respect your right to believe in whatever manner you choose, but at the same time I want to explain in some detail why I do not, and could not, believe the same way. With that said, I hope you will take the following in the manner it is intended.

I can certainly understand this position, as summed up in your last sentence - "to the degree I believe it comes from God, I can have confidence in it." But at least to me, such a stance does not require that the entire Bible stand or fall as a single entity. I do not understand, for instance, why it would be impossible to judge the earliest stories in the Bible - the Genesis accounts being the most obvious example - to be merely a collection of Hebrew myths, allegorical at best, while still believing and trusting in the truth of the other lessons of a moral and spiritual nature that the Bible has to offer. The Bible itself makes the claim that it is, in its entirety, "directly inspired by God" and therefore assumed to be inerrant. However, it should be clear that if it is not in fact so inspired, at least in its entirety, it could still make such a claim. The claim would just happen to be one of those parts which is not from God, and thus a human-induced error. In short, the validty of any given piece of the Bible says very, very little about whether or not God exists, or whether the moral and spiritual values given in this text are correct. To believe otherwise - to insist that either the entire Bible MUST be true, or else none of it could possibly be trusted - seems to me to be setting up one's faith as a house of cards. Should any one piece be removed, the entire structure falls for lack of support.

That the entire Bible might NOT be literally true in fact says only one thing about the nature of God - that he does not reveal himself quite as explictly or clearly as might otherwise be the case. In simpler terms, that accepting a good deal of what one believes about God is going to require faith - which doesn't strike me as all that much of a change from what the situation is otherwise. It already seems apparent that if the God of the Bible exists, he does NOT choose to reveal himself as explicitly as could be. Jesus never wrote any books; we don't even have an account of his life, in the Bible, that was written by any of those contemporaries closest to him. So why should we necessarily think that everything else in the Bible must have effectively been penned directly by God?

Consequently, I draw my views of morality from the Bible. "Thus saith the Lord,” means a great deal to me. This separates me from those who do whatever is right in their own eyes. The word of God limits my choices between boundaries, not of my own choosing.

Fundamentally, though, your choices are still that - your choices. You are the one who decides to restrict your actions to those within the boundaries set forth by God (or Allah or Vishnu or whatever external source any given individual chooses to follow). That's the essence of free will. The only distinguishing feature is that you didn't have to puzzle out what the boundaries should be on your own - but it's still YOUR choice to follow them.
And oddly enough, those "boundaries" seem to be drawn pretty much the same by all of man's religions. There are clearly differences in what one "should" do in order to be personally saved or exempted from whatever punishment a given religion describes, but the basic codes of behavior - the fundamental morality in each system - seem to be very much the same. Killing is wrong, stealing is wrong, and so forth. Why is that?

The reason this "works" for me is the presumption that the Bible is, in fact, from God and hence "true". If the flood is never happened or if the Genesis account is false, then I should not believe those accounts as being "true". If scripture has any error, then scripture might be lying to me about an array of issues, which heretofore I have accepted.

But this, to me, is again the "house of cards" structure I mentioned. I doubt that you'd buy into the above if presented in the opposite sense - the Flood account is true, so therefore you should accept this book's pronouncements on other issues. (Try substituting any OTHER book for the Bible in this one. For instance, there are unquestionably statements in, say, the Koran which are factually correct. Would this induce you to convert to Islam?) If you're like most people, you do NOT accept EVERYTHING someone says simply because any one thing they say is correct. And conversely, you do not doubt the truth of everything they say if they get any one thing wrong. I also seriously doubt that you would, in fact, abandon your faith IF someone could show you unquestionable proof that any one Biblical account - the Flood, say, or the Tower of Babel story - was in error, even though that's implied by what you say above. I instead submit to you that, in fact, you do not judge the truth or falsehood of the Bible as a single monolithic whole.

In short, for me to question the Genesis account is to question the resurrection of Christ. If one could be false, so could the other. Once Christ is dead, I have no compelling reason to trust the Bible or the God purportedly revealed therein.

I'm sorry, but that still strikes me as quite a leap; you are saying in effect that your status as a believing Christian is totally and utterly dependent on the literal accuracy of the Genesis account (again, pull the one card out, and watch the entire structure crumble). There are, in my experience, any number of apparently extremely devout Christians who do not have this same problem; they have accepted the notion that many of the earlier accounts in the Bible could be allegory, myth, tribal legends, whatever, and that recognizing them as such has nothing whatsoever to do with their faith in other areas. At least from my perspective, I would have to say that their faith in these other areas looks pretty strong, since it does apparently stand on its own.

Some of these believers, I know, reconcile the two by saying that while these early accounts can be thought of as being in a sense "from God", they cannot today be taken literally; they were explanations given to a much more primitive people, who did not have the knowledge to enable them to understand more at the time. If, for example, a five-year-old asks you where electricity comes from, I doubt that you'll launch into an in-depth discussion of the workings of generators or nuclear reactors or such - even though later, that same five-year-old grows up to be a power engineer. Is it so hard to believe that mankind might be in the same situation?

As a specific aside, if evolution is true, then you must agree that man is evolved from lower life forms of life. God can no longer be said to have "breathed" into man.

Literally, no; but then, if "breathed into Man" is taken as allegorically referring to WHATEVER process God used to bring forth an intelligent species on Earth, what's the problem? Is it a greater miracle to mold a human from dust and "breathe life" into the body, or to arrange a process to operate over hundreds of millions of years? If anything, the former description reads to me just the same as any other primitive creation story - only the minor details are different. The whole thing is still on a very human scale. On the other hand, the incredible complexity of the processes implied by the simple statement "man is evolved from lower forms of life" - this to me seems far more "Godlike". God is in that case no longer portrayed a something like a tinkerer, building birds and animals and people on his equivalent of a garage workbench, but rather an entity capable of shaping the fundamental forces of the universe to bring about a desired reality as a single, cohesive whole.

Man ceases to be a special object of God's love and interest.

Why? Does God have a short attention span, such that he sees things as less interesting if he has to spend a long time in their making? (In contrast, we tend to be very impressed with human craftsmen when they spend a long time perfecting something...) Most theologists seem to consider God as being "outside" of time, anyway - a day or a billion years, what's the difference? It would seem only the fact that we humans can't really comprehend the latter. In insisting on a six-day creation, do you force God down to human scale?

Do you see how the whole Biblical theme of redemption begins to fall over? There is no reason why a man should cleave unto his wife. Marital boundaries can be deemed anachronistic. If we are merely two biological life forms, looking to procreate, I might as well spread my seed wherever I choose.

Why? Even the most atheistic of evolutionary scientists would note that there are many species that mate for life, because it has proven to be in their best interests to do so; there is no reason mankind has to be an exception. But if coming from a theistic perspective, how does the process employed to create the human species have anything to do with the behaviors expected of the final result? If you believe in God, and yet reject the literal reading of Genesis, what you're saying is that God still made it all, he just used this other process to do it - a process that until very recently mankind could not even begin to comprehend. How does that change the rules - the moral code - that God would still be presumed to have set up?

Stratnerd

Sorry Heino, I should have been specific...

I was addressing this statement "Nothing in science happens at random" and I was thinking that much of evolution, in particular the historical aspects, are "random" and the examples I gave were movement of populations with tectonic (which will include some taxa and not others) and I'm sure there are numerous (millions upon millions) other contingencies (including life evolving itself).

But I'm just playing the devil's advocate (some probably think literally)and I think I get the jist of what you're saying.

One Eyed Jack

Originally posted by bmyers
Oh, there's no need for that extreme, Jack, if I simply don't like you're style. You're by no means the entirety of THIS "board," nor are you even one of the more engaging contributors. I'll stay here, but will generally ignore your more nonsensical attempts at argument. Pointing out the more egregious factual errors, of course, will continue as time permits.

You haven't pointed out any factual errors in my arguments yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.