Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigotboy

Originally posted by Turbo
Originally stated by Christ
If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Luke 16:31

That about covers it, as you would expect from God !!

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Jack,

You haven't pointed out any factual errors in my arguments yet.

Jack you have had plenty of factual, scientific and logical errors pointed out to you by many people.

Your refusal to see them, understand them or believe them does not detract from their existence.

No matter how many times you deny a fact it still remains a fact !

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by Turbo
Originally stated by Christ
If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Luke 16:31

You know I am getting real sick of the crappy.. “even if they see with their own eyes they would not believe” stuff !

You know in the modern day this doesn’t happen. Fair dinkum eyewitnesses do not deny real happenings if they actually see them. Generally if something is disbelieved it was because their were NO eyewitnesses and the event is a likely impossibility.

The simple fact is NO-ONE rose from the dead. It not possible.

Be honest with yourself at least. If you are “told” someone rose from the dead today would you believe them ? If you SAW someone rise from the dead would you think you had been tricked. You would demand massive amounts of proof etc… yet with Jesus.. you just say well some guys wrote it down so it must have happened ???

Why the suspension of disbelief ???

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
To Aussie Thinker:

Why the suspension of disbelief? you ask?
I will give you an answer but I do not know if it will satisfy you?
It is because the kind of faith we have, produces real results. It turned this cynical, cussing, drunkard, who almost left his wife and baby boy, into a hopeful, "praising God," sober, father of three.
But really that is just the small stuff in comparison to what real faith, really does. It protects me in this world to keep a salvation which I will see in its time. It is a faith that when it is constantly being tested by people and circumstances, every single day, will produce greater honor and glory to Jesus, when He is revealed to all, at the end of this age, because it {faith}was so tried, and so tested, as gold and silver, only it is much greater than either. It is the single most important possession that I have, because with it, I will receive the very salvation of my soul.
It is so mysterious, that even the angels in heaven long to look at it and try to understand fully the mystery of the Gospel, and the mystery of faith.
Please read 1 Peter 1 -12 if you truly want an answer to your question.
Also another verse puts it quite simply "Without faith it is impossible to please God."
That is why it says , neither shall they believe even if they should see one rise from the dead. It is "faith" that is required NOT more evidence. If you cannot believe a true and faithful witness, a person, or a book, in whom there is no guile, then you will not believe, when you see the real evidence yourself.
A true witness is all that God requires you to believe. God has given that to me in my broken and contrite spirit, and He has given it to me from humbled men of God, speaking His true Gospel message.
That is why I suspended disbelief, because I asked God to make me capable of believing in Him, and believe it or not that is just what He did for me and for multiplied millions of others.

Last edited:

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Jeremiah,

Firstly let me say something. If your faith and religious belief has allowed you to turn your life around then it is a fantastic thing. I have often argued FOR religion when I see it doing society (in general) good. I think Modern Christianity for example does create happy healthy societies so I am definitely not opposed to it as a concept.

But I still maintain regardless of its results or consequences belief in God is merely just that. The belief itself is what produces results.. their does not have to ba an actual God for your belief in it to produce results.

A simple example is someone who wants to kill someone else but avoids it because they think they will go to hell. They of course would not go to hell but thinking they would saved someone else’s life !

I will not dissect your comment point by point as I am quite happy for you that your “faith” helps you. As long as you realise my lack of faith produces all the same results as you so there is no direct correlation between faith and the existence of God !. I have a lovely wife and 3 fantastic children. I am happy healthy, help my fellow man and have a great social life. I lead as moral an existence as anyone I know.. etc etc.. Faith was not required.. just an empathy for fellow humans.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
I have read hundreds of posts from unbelievers on this forum since this debate began, 2 months ago,who are sure that their science and their scientists have the proof to dispel the myths of God. Yet Zakath had to retire from the debate, and not even ten "good" men could be found to save the "10 th" post, even though there are dozens of experts in the peanut gallery. It is my prayer that you would all just for one week realize that your precious scientific "witnesses" are simply men, as evil and dishonest, yet also as "good" and as "comon" as your neighbor. If you could view them, or, as the case may be, yourselves, as most people view a lawyer or a politician you might have a better guauge for evaluating their "laws" and their "words."
Who do you picture in a clean white robe, a Scientist? or God?
How you honestly answered that question should speak to your heart. Think about it!

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
To Aussie Thinker:
I thank you for not dissecting my post, since I opened myself up, it would be easy for you to do. I truly appreciate your restraint. I am happy for you that you have a wonderful family life. Your empathy for your fellow man is truly admirable. I can only say that for me it did not make me a better person. Perhaps I did not have as much as you have.:(
I will only say one thing in rebuttal, and that is it is not my faith that was good, or that turned my life around as you or some others might think . It was Jesus Christ. He gets all the glory and all my praise.

Last edited:

Wadsworth

Originally posted by Zakath
PM me and I'll discuss it with you if you wish.

At a guess I would say Zakaths world view would be governed by an acceptance of Naturalistic Meta-ethics, which provides ample moral and epistemological justification for Atheism.

Aussie Thinker

BANNED
Banned
Jeremiah

I have read hundreds of posts from unbelievers on this forum since this debate began, 2 months ago,who are sure that their science and their scientists have the proof to dispel the myths of God. Yet Zakath had to retire from the debate, and not even ten "good" men could be found to save the "10 th" post, even though there are dozens of experts in the peanut gallery. It is my prayer that you would all just for one week realize that your precious scientific "witnesses" are simply men, as evil and dishonest, yet also as "good" and as "comon" as your neighbor. If you could view them, or, as the case may be, yourselves, as most people view a lawyer or a politician you might have a better guauge for evaluating their "laws" and their "words."
Who do you picture in a clean white robe, a Scientist? or God?
How you honestly answered that question should speak to your heart. Think about it!

Your Bible writers are “just men” too Jeremiah.

Personally scientists get far more Kudos from me for what they say than do bronze age men who write myths and witness seeing God !

Most scientists are merely passing on what they have discovered and extrapolate possible reasons based on science for what may have happened. They generally have NO agenda.. unlike religious men whose agenda is to make you believe in God !

As far as continuing the debate goes. I have stated over and again how Bob’s debating style is extremely annoying. If he doesn’t like an answer he just claims it hasn’t happened. He has no real argument so it is almost impossible to argue against him anyway.

D the Atheist

Debating is not science in action!

Debating is not science in action!

Originally posted by jeremiah
I have read hundreds of posts from unbelievers on this forum since this debate began, 2 months ago,who are sure that their science and their scientists have the proof to dispel the myths of God. Yet Zakath had to retire from the debate, and not even ten "good" men could be found to save the "10 th" post, even though there are dozens of experts in the peanut gallery.

Debating is not science in action. Debating is people in action proffering opinions that are either backed up or not by science, all mixed up with playing on the prejudice’s of the audience to gain points by any method possible.

Debating is not the way to get at correctness of propositions; it is really a way to judge how adept is any given audience in overcoming being deceived.

Debating is a very poor substitute for proper scientific investigation and is not in the same street.

A good analogy is that for every fast gun-fighter, there is always a faster one. That does not make the slower or faster gun-fighter right – only faster - or dead :)

Last edited:

Wadsworth

Originally posted by Heino
Good day to you, too!

I, too, subscribe to scripture, but I draw the line when parts of it are open to interpretation. The concept of the logos, for example -- the word - was invented by Greek philosophers (I beleive Socrates or maybe a predicessor of his). I do not believe that when the Bible says that "In the beginning was THE WORD... and the Lord was THE WORD..." it means that God was a word. The Logos concept, from the Ancient Greeks does not mean literally, a word. It means a THOUGHT, INTELLIGENCE, CONSCIOUSNESS. The Bible is clearly figurative and poetic in some places, and clearly literal in others. I do not believe that all of it should be taken literally, especially when one does not understand the origins of some of the concepts used in it. It would be like taking Shakespeare's version of Julius Caesar as a literal history. I do not believe that the Bible says anything which contradicts evolutionary theory. I believe that the contradictions are derrived from our flawed, human interpretations of the bible.

Hello Heino & Lightson.

Surely it has to be a straight choice between creation and Evolution? If God created everything, then evolution does not occur, simply because God allegedly set it up, and then keeps on interfering at every stage.Thats not Evolution, that is mutiple guided creation;; so God is in there among the molecules, and in even less salubrious places controlling, guiding, interfering.
If on the other hand Evolution is true, then the Universe, as well as life as we know it, has been evolving entirely naturally, for ever (infinity). In this case it makes no sense to talk about God creating or guiding it. Which particular stages or stages did you have in mind for Gods constant jiggling with the molecules? It is a process that happens continually. not a one-off event. I thnk someone is committing the fallacy of Reification. Evolution is a happening, not a thing-to -be -created.

LIke you, I believe that God is revealed in his works. I believe that evolution is one of his great inventions. It does not shake my faith to know that the universe is older than 6,000 years. I do not think less of mankind because we evolved from homo erectus. In fact, one might imagine that Adam and Eve were the first fully modern humans, the end product of a process set into motion by God millions of years earlier. Of course, this is my opinion. I do not place much faith in this idea. It is, as we say, "idea stuff", just thoughts.

I agree. However, I must confess that I do not let my hair grow long, I do not stone people to death who sin against God, and I was never circumscised, all of which are things that God tells us to do (or at least he told the Hebrews to do). There are clearly commandments we have got from God which no western Christians practice, you or I included. How do you determine which commandments we follow, and which we don't?

I believe there is good evidence for localized floods in the region of the middle east. I believe that whoever wrote that the world was flooded, could easily have been exaggerating, because as far as the people who experienced the flood were oncerned, it was the whole world. These people could not see the whole world. They only saw what they could from their boat. The earth is round, and you cannot see beyond the horizon. What is not important is the size of the flood. What is important is the lesson learned from the chapter. As I said earlier, hwo many animals and the exact size of the ark is trivial. What is important is that we understand that God can pass judgement on us at any time, and we behave as he commands, and treat one another as we wish to be treated, and we must honor God's commands.

I do not believe that genesis has to be false in order for evolution to be true. I believe that enough facts are left out of Genesis to allow them to be compatible.

That all depends on whether you take Genesis 1 as literal or allegory. I believe that it is allegory. It is a lesson for us to learn from.

how so? I believe that God spend millions of years making us evolve slowly, like a sculptor spends weeks and months on a masterpiece. As I say, we have no reason to take it literally.

I do not understand how evolution means that we are not special. Why would God even bother to talk to the prophets, to send us Jesus the Messiah, and make this beautiful world for us to live in, if we are "merely biological life forms"? I believe that you are thinking about things that were left not said in the Bible. But I do not hold it against you. This is what fellowship is about -- two people talking about God. It doesn't matter if we agree, as long as we talk about it.

attention

Wadsworth:

"I do not believe that genesis has to be false in order for evolution to be true. I believe that enough facts are left out of Genesis to allow them to be compatible"

The genesis account of a creation of earth prior to the other stellar objects (including the sun), even when taken allegorically, is not compatible with a scientific model of the cosmos, since we know that earth was made of stuff that originate from stars.

Wadsworth

Originally posted by attention
Wadsworth:

"I do not believe that genesis has to be false in order for evolution to be true. I believe that enough facts are left out of Genesis to allow them to be compatible"

The genesis account of a creation of earth prior to the other stellar objects (including the sun), even when taken allegorically, is not compatible with a scientific model of the cosmos, since we know that earth was made of stuff that originate from stars.

I was probably getting muddled and entering a comment in the wrong place. I agree absolutely with you that Genesis is not compatible with a scientific model of the Universe; and it wasn't me who suggested it was. Genesis has to be false taken literally, without any strange "interpretations", -if evolution is true. Its one or the other, and I am firmly on the side of Evolution.

Heino

Originally posted by Stratnerd
Sorry Heino, I should have been specific...

I was addressing this statement "Nothing in science happens at random" and I was thinking that much of evolution, in particular the historical aspects, are "random" and the examples I gave were movement of populations with tectonic (which will include some taxa and not others) and I'm sure there are numerous (millions upon millions) other contingencies (including life evolving itself).

But I'm just playing the devil's advocate (some probably think literally)and I think I get the jist of what you're saying.
It is always good to have the devil's advocate. However, I do not believe that historic events are "random" events. Every event in history is caused by an event preceeding it, by factors leading up to it. They are not random; they are just complex, much to the point that people find it difficult to track. However, if one tracks factors leading up to an event, one can never find anything random, in reality. All this is done in retrospect, of course, but I assure you that nothing in nature happens randomly. If it did, then, for me, God would become illogical and irrational.

As Einstein once said, "God does not play dice with the universe."

There is a reason for everything. Everything has a cause.

sixfivebeastman

did anybody realize that the clock in the Battle Royale VII is ticking the wrong way? It says that Bob has an ever increasing amount of time to make his last post...when the deadline is really today. Just thought I'd make an observation, maybe Knight already knows about it and I missed something.

Heino

Originally posted by Wadsworth
Surely it has to be a straight choice between creation and Evolution? If God created everything, then evolution does not occur, simply because God allegedly set it up, and then keeps on interfering at every stage.
What is wrong with this:
God created the universe. He created the laws of physics. He created the laws of chemistry and atomic particles. He created the earth. Then he created life, and he created a process called evolution to help life adapt to changes on the earth, of which there have been many. Wait a few hundred million years, until evolution has come up with beings like us, and God come down and starts talking to us, to teach us.

You can have it both ways, so they say. I believe that it is only very strict literal interpretations that have a problem.
Thats not Evolution, that is mutiple guided creation;; so God is in there among the molecules, and in even less salubrious places controlling, guiding, interfering.
But the bible says that God is in all things. He is everywhere. If that is true, then he can be guiding our evolution. Is that not like so-called intelligent design?
If on the other hand Evolution is true, then the Universe, as well as life as we know it, has been evolving entirely naturally, for ever (infinity).
God is infinite, is he not? So God has been "growing" the universe, cultivating it, nurturing it, all along. I still see no reason why evolution cannot be part of his work.
In this case it makes no sense to talk about God creating or guiding it. Which particular stages or stages did you have in mind for Gods constant jiggling with the molecules? It is a process that happens continually. not a one-off event. I thnk someone is committing the fallacy of Reification. Evolution is a happening, not a thing-to -be -created.
I disagree. If god is everywhere, and he is in everything, then he is part of the fabric of the universe, and of all matter. It only makes sense that he is constantly helping things along. You have a plan for a garden, do you not prune it and pull weeds? God is a gardener, and we are the plants; his word and the church is the pruner. God is everywhere. How can he not be influencing the process of evolution? One might say that now, as we have evolved to humans, God is now helping our mind and spirit to evolve.

Wadsworth

It is always good to have the devil's advocate. However, I do not believe that historic events are "random" events. Every event in history is caused by an event preceeding it, by factors leading up to it. They are not random; they are just complex, much to the point that people find it difficult to track. However, if one tracks factors leading up to an event, one can never find anything random, in reality. All this is done in retrospect, of course, but I assure you that nothing in nature happens randomly. If it did, then, for me, God would become illogical and irrational.

As Einstein once said, "God does not play dice with the universe."

There is a reason for everything. Everything has a cause.

[/QUOTE

I agree absolutely that there are no random events, and everything has a cause. This is what scientists and evolutionists have been trying to tell you. Evolution is NOT random. However, it says nothing abou God, and if you want to invoke the first cause argument, (which has been repeatedly demolished by cleverer people than me), we can with greater justification claim that yhe Universe has existed for ever, and so does not need an arbitrary invented cause like "God" to account for it. After all we live with the Universe, it is all around us, but where is God?

Wadsworth

What is wrong with this:
God created the universe. He created the laws of physics. He created the laws of chemistry and atomic particles. He created the earth. Then he created life, and he created a process called evolution to help life adapt to changes on the earth, of which there have been many. Wait a few hundred million years, until evolution has come up with beings like us, and God come down and starts talking to us, to teach us.

You can have it both ways, so they say. I believe that it is only very strict literal interpretations that have a problem.

But the bible says that God is in all things. He is everywhere. If that is true, then he can be guiding our evolution. Is that not like so-called intelligent design?

God is infinite, is he not? So God has been "growing" the universe, cultivating it, nurturing it, all along. I still see no reason why evolution cannot be part of his work.

I disagree. If god is everywhere, and he is in everything, then he is part of the fabric of the universe, and of all matter. It only makes sense that he is constantly helping things along. You have a plan for a garden, do you not prune it and pull weeds? God is a gardener, and we are the plants; his word and the church is the pruner. God is everywhere. How can he not be influencing the process of evolution? One might say that now, as we have evolved to humans, God is now helping our mind and spirit to evolve.

Heino: it sounds as if you are a Pantheist. Careful, Pantheists have been condemned in the past for heresy

Wadsworth

What is wrong with this:

I think you assume too much, taking primitive writings as scientific fact. We do not know that this God created the laws of Physics or anything else. Has it not occurred to someone that we could just ask him, right now, this minute. After all the Creationists have all got hot-lines to him: Question: "do you or do you not exist, and did you or did you not create everything." I think we are entitled to know. Then we can all go home and stop arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.