Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRMRC

Honestly, I still am not completely aware of all of the rules (which is why I am trying to ask about them before inadvertently breaking them!

Also, thanks for clarifying Knight. I have posted on other forums but never seen this specific rule before, though I have seen people banned for promoting themselves and products (even e-bay auctions). But heck diverting traffic from your site to another takes away from your traffic, and I assume some income from heavy traffic from advertising or something. Anyway, thanks.

C

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
More to the point. Why didn't you ban me when I did the same thing in my introduction thread?

CRMRC

Also, say that there is a really enlightening or relavent post at another forum regarding some concept in physics posted by a professor/researcher that would add to the conversation quite a bit. Would it be acceptable to quote this person and link to the original post, or would that be a bannable offense? (I almost did this yesterday, but remembered the rules!)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Honestly, I still am not completely aware of all of the rules (which is why I am trying to ask about them before inadvertently breaking them!

Also, thanks for clarifying Knight. I have posted on other forums but never seen this specific rule before, though I have seen people banned for promoting themselves and products (even e-bay auctions). But heck diverting traffic from your site to another takes away from your traffic, and I assume some income from heavy traffic from advertising or something. Anyway, thanks.

C
No, TOL is not how I make my living.

But here is the deal..... many popular forums can get turned into a link "free-for-all" and savvy webmasters know that links on other sites equals higher google rankings and more traffic for their site therefore the gold rush begins!!! Pretty soon you can't tell where the discussion begins and the advertising ends. We at TOL work really hard to keep all of our threads and posts free from sales-pitches to other sites and products.

Here is a link to our welcome that that you may be interested in.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, say that there is a really enlightening or relavent post at another forum regarding some concept in physics posted by a professor/researcher that would add to the conversation quite a bit. Would it be acceptable to quote this person and link to the original post, or would that be a bannable offense? (I almost did this yesterday, but remembered the rules!)
Again... it depends.

If it is really relevant and done in a tactful way we are OK with it. However if the link is to another forum (not just a website) we are a bit more sensitive because we know how the game is played.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Knight-
Whatever happened to the links at the bottom of posts? Such as to the posters personal site...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So you decided that since it was already in their profile, that it was pointless to have it in the posts, as well? I see.
Well that and the fact that if they have entered a link in the their profile you will be able to get to the link simply by clicking their name in any post. (it will be in the pull down menu when you click on their name).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Well that and the fact that if they have entered a link in the their profile you will be able to get to the link simply by clicking their name in any post. (it will be in the pull down menu when you click on their name).
Ah. I see. I didn't see it in mine, and so I didn't realize that. I guess I'll have to reenter my link. I used to have it in there. I don't know what happened.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is that why he bolded the B and the S .. code for Big Sister...?

Knight. How many brothers and sisters do you have? I have 3 brothers but only one (she is older too) sister.

CRMRC

Again... it depends.

If it is really relevant and done in a tactful way we are OK with it. However if the link is to another forum (not just a website) we are a bit more sensitive because we know how the game is played.

OK, thanks for clearing it up. If it ever comes up again I will run it by you beforehand through PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.