Are black on white attacks justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I have lil' Annie on Perm-Ignore. All I have to say at her is...

s73MI6X.gif

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wrote: But the fact is a great deal of what's wrong in the black community can be directly traced to the empowered majority, over generations.
There's a correlation there that bigoted people simply will not see. They intentionally choose not to see it.
I think being from the South, where the problems and divisive antagonisms related to racial inequity play out more openly, it's easier to see it and inevitable that you'll personally have confronted it. At that point you either excuse and capitulate or pitch in to begin making the ongoing restoration of simple human dignity a part of our social evolution.

The progress is slow and often painful, but I see it generationally. And if it can happen here it can happen anywhere.

Yes. They're called Democrats.
Not in the South. After Wallace and the progressive shift in the Democratic party that crew began a shift to the Republicans here. That's where you find them today, though there are an awful lot of good, decent people in that party as well. My father among them (though not a Trump guy).

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I wrote: But the fact is a great deal of what's wrong in the black community can be directly traced to the empowered majority, over generations.

I think being from the South, where the problems and divisive antagonisms related to racial inequity play out more openly, it's easier to see it and inevitable that you'll personally have confronted it. At that point you either excuse and capitulate or pitch in to begin making the ongoing restoration of simple human dignity a part of our social evolution.

Yes. I have relatives who live in the south, and when I visited a couple years ago, I was told that there are still towns that if you're black, you don't stop. You make sure you just keep driving. And I was also told that shortly before my visit, a sign that had been in the median of the highway that said something to the effect of "n****** not welcome here" had only recently been taken down.

It's no surprise to me to see the states where Trump has his major support.

I know that doesn't speak to every Southerner, I know you're not like that, and that you live in and love the South. Everyone I've ever known who's lived in the South either would never leave it or can't wait to get back. I understand that.

The progress is slow and often painful, but I see it generationally. And if it can happen here it can happen anywhere.

The problem with generational transmission is that unfortunately, it's a strong pattern. Parents do pass on their biases to their children. It's up to each individual to make that break away.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes. I have relatives who live in the south, and when I visited a couple years ago, I was told that there are still towns that if you're black, you don't stop. You make sure you just keep driving. And I was also told that shortly before my visit, a sign that had been in the median of the highway that said something to the effect of "n****** not welcome here" had only recently been taken down.

It's no surprise to me to see the states where Trump has his major support.

I know that doesn't speak about every Southerner, I know you live in and love the South. Everyone I've ever known who's lived in the South either would never leave it or can't wait to get back. I understand that.
The truth of a thing should only offend people who aren't invested in altering it for the good. Not a problem. I have a deep and abiding love for my South. Its culture and people, at their best, are amazing. At our worst, we're a frightening thing to behold.

And the South varies. In Alabama, you have the enclaves of culture and education to the north and the same thing along the coastline, where people tend to be friendlier and more progressive. But move toward the middle and you start to see the old towns, many of them essentially offshoots of plantations. I worked the black belt and saw a lot of that. A lot of what I saw and heard shocked me, having experienced the gentlest side of even the errant nonsense you'll find here. But even in my community there's a historical line of demarcation. The high ground belongs to a number of white families and has remained in those hands for generations. Down the hill on either side, literally, you find the enclaves of poorer whites and all of the blacks and other minorities.

The problem with generational transmission is that unfortunately, it's a strong pattern. Parents do pass on their biases to their children. It's up to each individual to make that break away.
Agreed. I'm hopeful. I look at the high school in the county seat here. I see most of the black and white children moving among one another indifferent to the historical divisions and distinctions. Many of their parents are mildly uncomfortable and the kids find them quaint and odd. The grandparents are a bit stiffer, but even there can surprise you and the day of cross burnings and ease with the foul language of racial division is largely fading from the public memory and will not pass with impunity on the public square.

I hope that by the time I'm wrestling with my grandchildren the world will have evolved sufficiently that my tales will resonate like ghost stories, barely believed but for the records and artifacts, and that the scars caused by those fading generations will be mending steadily.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Nope, wife and two lovely kids and a Savior.

You?

Oh right...atheist now. Nothing else matters. Just a walking bag of electrochemically animated soil.

You're not a very good liar, no matter how often you practice at it. For the record, I'm not an atheist.

As for your private life, I don't know why you assumed I'd be interested - it's your neediness here that's evident.

musterion

You're not a very good liar, no matter how often you practice at it. For the record, I'm not an atheist.

Thought you said you ditched the RCC and became an unbeliever.

As for your private life, I don't know why you assumed I'd be interested - it's your neediness here that's evident.

It is indicative of my lack of need as you intimated it, lonely one.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Town Heretic;4837047 said:
But even in my community there's a historical line of demarcation. The high ground belongs to a number of white families and has remained in those hands for generations. Down the hill on either side, literally, you find the enclaves of poorer whites and all of the blacks and other minorities.

That's a good material illustration of what I'm talking about. Sincere question: even with your optimism, how likely do you think it will be that will change in your lifetime?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Thought you said you ditched the RCC and became an unbeliever.

You don't think - or remember - very well.

Non-practicing Catholic isn't synonymous with atheist.

It is indicative of my lack of need as you intimated it, lonely one.

You read way more into that than you should have. Fascinating.

Your neediness here is evident, and what I was speaking to. And see? You're still here.

musterion

You don't think - or remember - very well.

Non-practicing Catholic isn't synonymous with atheist.

Oh. So getting to heaven without the cookie and other required sacraments should be a neat trick. Good luck with it.

You read way more into that than you should have. Fascinating.

Yet you're still here, talking at me. Feel free to stop at any time, I won't miss you, promise. Desperation is a turnoff.

Your neediness here is evident, and what I was speaking to. And see? You're still here.

Tell your cats how mean I've been, between shovels full of ice cream.

s73MI6X.gif

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Oh. So getting to heaven without the cookie and other required sacraments should be a neat trick. Good luck with it.

Yet you're still here, talking at me. Feel free to stop at any time, I won't miss you, promise. Desperation is a turnoff.

Tell your cats how mean I've been, between shovels full of ice cream.

s73MI6X.gif

You're flailing now. :chuckle: Again: non-practicing Catholic isn't synonymous with atheist, so that's a complete dud by you - one of many.

I was having a conversation before you got here and posted to me first, and I'm not going to leave just because you keep getting in my face.

If you can't be the grownup here, I will. Carry on, little man. Dance with yourself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.