ARCHIVE: Telling a lie can be righteous!

s9s27s54

QUOTE]Knight said: Hey what is that supposed to mean?[/QUOTE]
I don't want to admit you're right because I don't like lying. I disapprove of it.

I thought we were buds!!!? :(
We are. We can be even better buds now if you don't say anything.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by s9s27s54
Knight said: Hey what is that supposed to mean?
I don't want to admit you're right because I don't like lying. I disapprove of it.

We are. We can be even better buds now if you don't say anything.
With that avatar how can I refuse?

s9s27s54

[[/QUOTE]With that avatar how can I refuse? [/QUOTE]
I guess I shouldn't change it yet, huh? Maybe I should keep this for a while. I was going to change it to an eagle. What do you think?

Y

Yxboom

The problem I see with the argument is that they are both lies. Based on a greater evil, the lesser evil is overlooked. ie.

Proverbs 6:30 (NKJV)
30 People do not despise a thief If he steals to satisfy himself when he is starving.

One would conclude that stealing is righteous if a man is hungry. But what if the man stole food from a starving child to eat for himself, he would be despised. So the argument that is used that sin can be righteous depending on the circumstance would be to validate that everything is relative.

Y

Yxboom

Myself!

I found the thread 3 pages too late...so I am attempting a debate with myself as it were.

anna

So the argument that is used that sin can be righteous depending on the circumstance would be to validate that everything is relative.

Good point :thumb:
I agree with this line of thinking. My post was out of curiosity.
ac

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by anna
So the argument that is used that sin can be righteous depending on the circumstance would be to validate that everything is relative.

Good point :thumb:
I agree with this line of thinking. My post was out of curiosity.
ac
Saying that " ...everything is relative." would be a gross overstatement.

However...

One might say....

Lying is sinful only relative to it's motivation. (righteous or sinful)

Y

Yxboom

I mean that spot about the temple.......you know.......the Pharisees were pretty baffled..........

Jaltus

John makes it pretty clear what Jesus meant.

Besides, allusion is not lying, nor are parables.

Did Jesus ever lie?