ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 3

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Given profound knowledge of human psychology, it is not hard to predict a person will be enraged given circumstances that God could arrange.

This would be speculation.

No one, including God can force someone to become enraged. I could kill your family, burn down your house, and beat you up, but you still have a free will choice to become enraged or not.

Even if I were to do all of the above, it would still be speculation to say you will be enraged before I did it.

Speculation and prophecy are two completely different things.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't confuse omniscience and foreknowledge. OVTs affirm omniscience because He truly knows all that is logically possible to know (the future is not yet and EDF is logically incompatible with free will). It denies exhaustive foreknowledge because the future is partially unsettled/open (the issue is the nature of creation and what are possible objects of certain knowledge, not God's omniscience that we both affirm)

Foreknowledge is part of omniscience. Omniscience without foreknowledge is not omniscience.

Omni means "all", not just present and past.

(arguing over "all" feels like an unlimited/limited atonement debate. Have you become a Calvinist Godrulz? :D)

Lon

Given profound knowledge of human psychology, it is not hard to predict a person will be enraged given circumstances that God could arrange. People can provoke us, so God could find a way (circ., man, Satan, God) to produce a specific reaction in specific circumstances. If the person was named and other details with dates and times given, it would make more of a case for EDF. As it is, it is still fairly generic and imaginable given God's past and present knowledge and ability to orchestrate things.

But isn't it rather hard to predict this when the person in question hasn't even been born yet?

What if he didn't want to go to war? Again, this is all so speculative unless 1) God makes it happen or 2) Somehow knows it will happen.

The latter, while somewhat problematic seems way less so to me than the OV speculation and denial of DF.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well then, what you are really saying, is that man saves himself, and God plays no part at all, other than blindly killing and therefore gambling His dear Son on the cross.

No . . .God chose who would be in Christ. Ephesians 1:4.

"Unless the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we would have become like Sodom, and we would have been made like Gomorrah." Romans 9:29; Isaiah 1:9; 13:19

Have you ever read Isaiah 6:9-10?

This Godly prophet taught just the opposite of what you attempt to teach.

The cross work of Jesus Christ was not a "offer," and neither is the gospel message that actually and spiritually draws the sons of God to faith in His sacrifice, an "offer."

I challenge you to produce one verse of Scripture that speaks of salvation being an "offer" that sinners can refuse or that sinners must "accept."

Salvation is the gift of God's grace that come through receiving the virtue of faith to believe in God's promises and repent from sins.

Such is not a mere possibility or opportunity, but the greatest and surest gift made to mankind, by God.

Nang

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. 18 He who believes in him is not condemned; he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

--Dave

Lon

Give me a particular verse or verses. The great thing about visions is they are very flexible and don't have to conform to the reality they are illustrating.

--Dave

I disagree. Granted they may be figurative but point to a literal something such that we don't really think of a woman riding a dragon as real, but is a simile or metaphor for something real.

However, when John is talking to the elder, it isn't conveying anything on metaphorical symbolic level, just that he is talking to an elder about the opening of scrolls. John is seeing things that are future to happen, elders falling before the throne and praising etc.

Again, a literal interpretation of the text is that John is seeing a literal future. This is DF. One point of OV must be abandoned, you already acquiesce that God knows some things, but MUST include that He also knows the actions of men. There is no way that elder could interact with John unless God knew his actions so that he and John could meet and interact. The whole vision is a time paradox because John is seeing and interaction from our past with a future that even for us has yet to happen.

The OV seems to have very purposeful blinders on to dismiss DF that is so apparent from prophecy. Prophecy is a huge conundrum for the OV and opposing scholars have already begun countering the OV and PT on these points.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What happens then? Are the futures of these believers settled, guaranteed, and certain? Does not God have a purpose and plan for all Christians? Does not God know His own purposes, promises, and plans for His children? Did the cross work and victory over death accomplished by Jesus Christ not settle their eternal fate?

Or is God as unknowing of what lies ahead for them as well as He supposedly is without knowledge of the fates of all the unbelievers? If God has not knowledge or control over everyone's ultimate destinies, how certain is justice, punishment for sins, and hell? (Or do you deny Judgement Day, too?)

What value was the cross work of Jesus Christ, if He did not purchase a certain salvation and resurrection for His own? What kind of Savior, is an unknowing, powerless, ignorant Savior? What kind of King does not know and determine who will inhabit His kingdom?

Of course your remarks above contradict the teachings of Christ who taught of divine and irresistible drawing and calling of the elect to Himself, by God. (John 6:39; 44) Sinners are saved according to the will of God (John 5:21) and not according to their own corrupted wills.

Nang

God gives to his Son all who had faith in God before Jesus came to earth. Jesus gives life to those who believe in him, not who believe in Moses or who are children of Abraham. Jesus said, after his death and resurrection, that he would draw all to himself. Those who believe in him will have eternal life and those who do not will perish. The guarantee of this is God's power not because he sees us already in heaven or hell.

--Dave

Lon

An OVT would say that Augustine and Calvin have done the same.

Granted.

To be honest, it hasn't been rejected through the centuries. Through the centuries, and even until today, the nature of God's knowledge and foreknowledge has been a subject of debate. It remains unresolved. Augustine's influence is certainly felt in the discussion, and the church has leaned strongly towards some kind of definite foreknowledge, but the debate remains, nonetheless. Nothing has been "rejected."
This is a bit of a whitewash. I agree not all have, but we are talking about the majority of Christendom.

Not at all. As I've already pointed out, one doesn't need to deny free will to make someone mad.
It is all a bit too specific for a generalization for a sketchy plan. It just doesn't fit the text. These latter kings weren't even born yet. What is to keep them from getting the plague or something before this was all to take place? Again, your answer to this and many more questions point to micromanagement to the hyper extreme.

And, as Tele and S2P have pointed out, this is about the only detail that might need explaining. The rest is pretty general.
That is quite a statement and feels like a 'gloss-over' to me.

Why is hyper-micromanagement necessary, when only a general description is given?
Again, first, assuming that all of it must come about or it isn't really prophecy (anti-prophecy?). And second, that it doesn't render to me at all as general. It reads very specific to me. This needs a few paragraphs from you for me to even comprehend what you are saying so that it would make any logical sense. It seems incredibly convoluted theology to me, more so than you've said about me on our initial conversation in this thread.

I didn't say that I believed it. I just know that those who know Daniel 11 well, and embrace inerrancy don't bring it up, because this is a potential problem text for inerrancy folks (including me.)
If 'including you' then does that mean you believe or don't? I'm not trying too hard to pin you down, but specifics? Which verses? What are the inerrancy problems you are seeing?

Again, I think you're placing an unnecessary standard for this text. Two ardent opponents scoured this prophecy, and only came up with one detail that is specific, and I've already shown how this is accomplished (and you've acknowledged that this is true) without violating the free will.

Muz

You lost me on the part I acknowledge, not sure where that happened, but again, I see a lot of specifics here. A king that isn't even born yet is going to be made angry, I got that part and acquiesce God can make anybody frustrated, but it seems in asserting things like this, you are actually using hyper-Calvinist language (that's perplexing). I agree God can, but it seems more reasonable to me to assume He has DF than is micromanaging outcomes to this kind of detail. Even if it is as general as you imagine, it still seems implausible to me that God would give prophecy at all to us. When Saul went to seek the witch of Endor, it was specifically to get an answer to his future actions because God wouldn't talk with Him. This suggests 1) that God is sought for knowledge concerning future events (i.e. that Israel understood God to have Definite Foreknowledge) and 2) that they actually sought Him for such and He seemed appropriately capable to answer this expectation. Not only that, but that He even gives this very test for discerning true prophets.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
God gives to his Son all who had faith in God before Jesus came to earth. Jesus gives life to those who believe in him, not who believe in Moses or who are children of Abraham. Jesus said, after his death and resurrection, that he would draw all to himself. Those who believe in him will have eternal life and those who do not will perish. The guarantee of this is God's power not because he sees us already in heaven or hell.

--Dave

Putting aside our differences about who receives faith or not, and how souls find salvation . . . my question to you still remains:

Those who exhibited faith are saved by God. Right?

Does God know and settle the eternal future of those of whom we refer?

Why, when, and how does God do this . . .or does God remain in the dark and ignorant of the eternal fate and destiny of those He has declared saved by His Son, Jesus Christ.

Your answer?

Nang

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Putting aside our differences about who receives faith or not, and how souls find salvation . . . my question to you still remains:

Those who exhibited faith are saved by God. Right?

Does God know and settle the eternal future of those of whom we refer?

Why, when, and how does God do this . . .or does God remain in the dark and ignorant of the eternal fate and destiny of those He has declared saved by His Son, Jesus Christ.

Your answer?

Nang

By his power, by his power, by his power........how many times do I have to say it?

--Dave

Nang

TOL Subscriber
By his power, by his power, by his power........how many times do I have to say it?

--Dave

By his power, by his power, by his power . . . what?

(Are you trying to convey something?)

God, either knows the eternal destiny of those He saves . . .by His power . . .or He does not?

What say you?

Is the future settled and known by God for those He has saved in Jesus Christ?

If so, how? If not, why?

Nang

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Foreknowledge is part of omniscience. Omniscience without foreknowledge is not omniscience.

Omni means "all", not just present and past.

(arguing over "all" feels like an unlimited/limited atonement debate. Have you become a Calvinist Godrulz? :D)

I am a closet Calvinist, a double agent, a turncoat spy, or am I?

Omnipotence means all power, but that must be qualified since God restrains the exercise of His power and also cannot do illogical things like create square circles. Omniscience is best qualified as knowing all that is logically knowable (God does not know where Alice in Wonderland is right now, but this does not mean he is not all-knowing). We differ as to whether and how God knows aspects of the not-yet future (knowing a nothing is a bald contradiction), not whether or not He is omniscient (He is, but we differ as to the contents of His certain knowledge...the future is not there yet to know...if it is, determinism wins).

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
By his power, by his power, by his power . . . what?

(Are you trying to convey something?)

God, either knows the eternal destiny of those He saves . . .by His power . . .or He does not?

What say you?

Is the future settled and known by God for those He has saved in Jesus Christ?

If so, how? If not, why?

Nang

God has the power to save us. God foreknows that he will give eternal life to those who will believe in Christ. A settled future is one in which God already sees you in heaven or hell because you and I are already there. An open view is one in which the future cannot be seen even by God because it does not exist yet. In the settled view God is "timeless" in the open view God has a past and a future just like we do.

--Dave

themuzicman

This is a bit of a whitewash. I agree not all have, but we are talking about the majority of Christendom.

The majority of Christendom doesn't embrace sola fide, either.

It is all a bit too specific for a generalization for a sketchy plan. It just doesn't fit the text. These latter kings weren't even born yet. What is to keep them from getting the plague or something before this was all to take place?

Do you think God is unable to prevent a king that he wants to act in the future from getting the plague? Do you still wonder why I think you really don't believe that God is omnipotent?

Again, your answer to this and many more questions point to micromanagement to the hyper extreme.

Huh? God preventing the "free will" of a virus is a problem?

That is quite a statement and feels like a 'gloss-over' to me.

That's because there isn't any point in going into a blow by blow on this passage. You just assume EDF and eisegete it into this passage, without ever giving any real consideration as to whether God could act, without violating free will, to bring this about. You never bring God's omnipotence to bear on prophecy. You just make silly claims like "Well, what if one of those kings got the plague?"

Again, first, assuming that all of it must come about or it isn't really prophecy (anti-prophecy?). And second, that it doesn't render to me at all as general. It reads very specific to me. This needs a few paragraphs from you for me to even comprehend what you are saying so that it would make any logical sense. It seems incredibly convoluted theology to me, more so than you've said about me on our initial conversation in this thread.

There's nothing convoluted about it. It simply looks to other possible means of accomplishing prophecy, even multiple possible means. I realize that saying "EDF" makes understanding prophecy simple. But simple isn't always accurate.

If 'including you' then does that mean you believe or don't? I'm not trying too hard to pin you down, but specifics? Which verses? What are the inerrancy problems you are seeing?

Well, as some historians tell the story, Daniel's prophecy didn't quite happen as written. I haven't found a good online source for this, yet, but there's been more than a little ink spilled on it.

You lost me on the part I acknowledge, not sure where that happened, but again, I see a lot of specifics here. A king that isn't even born yet is going to be made angry, I got that part and acquiesce God can make anybody frustrated, but it seems in asserting things like this, you are actually using hyper-Calvinist language (that's perplexing).

In what way is God acting to fulfill His prophecies hyper-Calvinist. The hyper-Calvinist would say that God foreordained all things to happen before creation. I'm saying that God acts as history unfolds.

There's a difference between meticulous control and specific action.

I agree God can, but it seems more reasonable to me to assume He has DF than is micromanaging outcomes to this kind of detail.

So, you're saying that God can't act in specific circumstances to bring about His will and His prophecies.... why?

Your problem is that you're trying to argue from the specific to the general. That's not valid. I've said more than once that God acts to bring about His prophecies. I honestly have no clue as to why this prophecy is here, I haven't studied the larger context and background enough.

However, the hyper-Calvinist says that God acts to cause all things that happen, evil, suffering, the decisions of men, the holocaust, salvation, election, etc. That is a very long distance from saying that God acts in specific circumstances to bring about specific results, and does so without violating free will.

You talk as though, for OVT, God must sit on the sidelines and wring His hands and hope that everything works out without being actively involved in bringing things about.

Even if it is as general as you imagine, it still seems implausible to me that God would give prophecy at all to us.

Well, given your denial of God's omnipotence, I can see why you'd reach this faulty conclusion.

Prophecy isn't primarily intended to demonstrate God's knowledge. Prophecy exists to instruct those to whom the prophecy is directed.

The main focus of prophecy isn't what will happen in the future, but what people must do now in order to avoid what has been threatened. The people of Ninevah instinctively understood the conditional nature of judgment prophecy. They repented, and God relented.

To be honest, this prophecy by Daniel is fairly unique in that respect. There are prophecies by Jeremiah after the people are being sent into exile about how long they'll be there, but for the most part, prophecy is about what people should do now to avoid consequence or be prepared in the future.

When Saul went to seek the witch of Endor, it was specifically to get an answer to his future actions because God wouldn't talk with Him. This suggests 1) that God is sought for knowledge concerning future events (i.e. that Israel understood God to have Definite Foreknowledge)

LOL... Take off those Calvinist colored glasses.

Did you actually read the story of the witch of Endor?

Saul isn't looking for definite knowledge of the future. He's looking for wisdom from God about what to do against this army that was coming against him.

Goodness.. is there no Scripture you won't twist to try to extract EDF? Do you honestly think that God's wisdom is worthless?

2) that they actually sought Him for such and He seemed appropriately capable to answer this expectation. Not only that, but that He even gives this very test for discerning true prophets.

The test is only whether the prophet is speaking from God. Not whether God has EDF.

Muz

Lon

God knows that those who believe in Christ will be given eternal life but God does not know who those believers will be until they believe.

God wants us to be in Christ and to be holy, but it's up to us if we will accept his offer.

--Dave
I'm having real trouble with both of these lines. Even if an Arminian said them, they are misquotable and inaccurate, each.

The first, an Arminian wouldn't say but you are totally asserting here. OV cannot possibly say what is so speculative. You guys should rather say: "We think God doesn't know."

The second can be construed to say we are responsible for our own salvation.

Luke 14:23 And the lord said to the servant...compel them to come in, so that my house may be filled.

John 15:16 You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you ...

Lon

The majority of Christendom doesn't embrace sola fide, either.
Misdirection is no address. Stay on topic?

Do you think God is unable to prevent a king that he wants to act in the future from getting the plague? Do you still wonder why I think you really don't believe that God is omnipotent?
"Micro-management!"

Huh? God preventing the "free will" of a virus is a problem?
"Micro-management!"

That's because there isn't any point in going into a blow by blow on this passage. You just assume EDF and eisegete it into this passage, without ever giving any real consideration as to whether God could act, without violating free will, to bring this about. You never bring God's omnipotence to bear on prophecy. You just make silly claims like "Well, what if one of those kings got the plague?"
"eisegete" whew! At least you didn't say Greek!
1) How does changing outcomes not interfere with freewill?
(remember you also (OV) do not believe in absolute freewill.
He obviously does interfere. Does that 'violate' freewill? If not, why do you assume EDF would?

2)Silly claim? It is a question. If man's freewill is unknowable, how does God even know if we will make a virus like we made killerbees that will destroy the planet? How does He know if a nuclear war will wipe us all out so that the rest of prophecy goes unfulfilled? You are playing with a double-standard here that implicates OV logic. No, this isn't a silly claim, it is a perplexing question.

There's nothing convoluted about it. It simply looks to other possible means of accomplishing prophecy, even multiple possible means. I realize that saying "EDF" makes understanding prophecy simple. But simple isn't always accurate.
Maybe it is just us traditional theists then but OV certainly doesn't look simple to me.

Well, as some historians tell the story, Daniel's prophecy didn't quite happen as written. I haven't found a good online source for this, yet, but there's been more than a little ink spilled on it.
Actually we've talked about some of this in the previous two threads.
You are write, we spilled a little cyber-ink.

In what way is God acting to fulfill His prophecies hyper-Calvinist. The hyper-Calvinist would say that God foreordained all things to happen before creation. I'm saying that God acts as history unfolds.
Because He is micro-managing exacting outcomes, just as in the Calvinist view.

There's a difference between meticulous control and specific action.
Yes, but if you cannot see these as requiring meticulous interaction I'm not sure how to get you to acquiesce. Think about this: In order for the general terms of this long prophecy to come about, God has to literally ensure that nations survive, has to influence kings, has to ensure they survive wars, has to ensure that no sickness or disease or a bad day occur for the said wars to take place. He has to ensure their economy for war paraphernalia, etc. etc.

So, you're saying that God can't act in specific circumstances to bring about His will and His prophecies.... why?
Because then you are asserting a Calvinist perspective.
Your problem is that you're trying to argue from the specific to the general. That's not valid. I've said more than once that God acts to bring about His prophecies. I honestly have no clue as to why this prophecy is here, I haven't studied the larger context and background enough.
Except that specifics are required even for a general prophecy?
However, the hyper-Calvinist says that God acts to cause all things that happen, evil, suffering, the decisions of men, the holocaust, salvation, election, etc. That is a very long distance from saying that God acts in specific circumstances to bring about specific results, and does so without violating free will.
War isn't any of these?

You talk as though, for OVT, God must sit on the sidelines and wring His hands and hope that everything works out without being actively involved in bringing things about.
A coach making the calls is still wringing his hands. What is His position in this example? My answer is "All players, coaches, vendors and fans." He is first-cause of them all, including the game. He can do whatever He wishes and influence freewill any way He wishes.

Well, given your denial of God's omnipotence, I can see why you'd reach this faulty conclusion.

Prophecy isn't primarily intended to demonstrate God's knowledge. Prophecy exists to instruct those to whom the prophecy is directed.

The main focus of prophecy isn't what will happen in the future, but what people must do now in order to avoid what has been threatened. The people of Ninevah instinctively understood the conditional nature of judgment prophecy. They repented, and God relented.
Too overstated. Prophecy differs and not all are given to convey a desired action. Prophecies of Messiah, require no immediate action. Some are given for information about the future as primary. So I disagree with you here.
To be honest, this prophecy by Daniel is fairly unique in that respect. There are prophecies by Jeremiah after the people are being sent into exile about how long they'll be there, but for the most part, prophecy is about what people should do now to avoid consequence or be prepared in the future.
Yes, exactly. You also see that prophecies are given for different reasons.

LOL... Take off those Calvinist colored glasses.

Did you actually read the story of the witch of Endor?

Saul isn't looking for definite knowledge of the future. He's looking for wisdom from God about what to do against this army that was coming against him.

Goodness.. is there no Scripture you won't twist to try to extract EDF? Do you honestly think that God's wisdom is worthless?
I accept your challenge:
1Sa 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am grievously distressed, for the Philistines are warring against me. And God has left me and does not answer me any more, neither by prophets nor by dreams. And I have called you so that you may make known to me what I should do.
Hence, what to do to ensure a future victory.
1Sa 28:19 And, Jehovah will also deliver Israel with you into the hand of the Philistines. And tomorrow you and your sons shall be with me. Jehovah also shall deliver the army of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.
Hence, what will happen in the immediate future (prophecy without indication of what Saul is to do). It will come to pass. It is therefore one of those in which it is just future informative.
The test is only whether the prophet is speaking from God. Not whether God has EDF.

Muz
Deu 18:22 When a prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah, if the thing does not follow nor come to pass, that is the thing which Jehovah has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You shall not be afraid of him.
1Sa 23:6-14 supports God's EDF.

Lon

That's not a problem for OVT, per se, but all who believe in inerrancy.

Muz

We categorize some prophecies as unconditional, others as conditional, and yet others as promises God will fulfill.

If you ask about Nineveh, where there is no proximal condition, it is easy to see in other passages that the condition of repentance is implied. It doesn't have to be stated in Jonah to be understood.