ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So, there's an endless succession of events that goes on forever in eternity past?

I wish I had seen this before writing my previous post and saying what I did about arguments for which we do not have answers. If I had, I would have worked it in some how.

Infinite regress is a real and completely rational objection to the Open View and so far as I am aware has yet to be answered to my own satisfaction but it is not proof that the Open View is false - not even close.

The following is an excerpt from a post of mine from another thread where I addressed this exact issue. I had to include a pretty big chunk so as to overcome some contextual issues that would have made it difficult to understand the point otherwise. But if read you'll through it and can follow it in spite of it being lifted unedited straight out of a totally different conversation, I'd love to see how you would respond to it.

Clete said:
fourcheese said:
I think we're maybe tackling too many threads of this argument at once. Let's just backpedal slightly here because I really don't want to miss your point:

Zeno's paradox is caused by being able to split a finite space (actually a distance) into an infinite number of pieces, but not affording the same courtesy to time. So in reality the paradox doesn't exist. Given a finite number of infinitesimal distances you really do move nowhere. Calculus clears this up for us by being able to calculate what happens as dt -> 0 and ds -> 0. Do we both agree on this, or have I misunderstood your position (again)?

However Zeno is still talking about finite amounts of time, he's just dividing them up into chunks of 0 duration. I don't see how this translates to an infinite time problem.

I wasn't looking for an explanation of Zeno's paradox. I actually proposed the idea of quantum time while a Junior in High School based solely on Zeno's paradox. I am quite familiar with it.

The point I am making with bring it up is that Zeno himself, along with many of his followers, rejected reality based on these paradoxes. They thought life was an illusion on the basis of a paradox! That's not rational! They, in effect, rejected rationality because of a paradox which they could not have come up with without rational thought and my point is that suggesting that God exists outside of time in order to evade the infinite regress paradox is making the exact same error that Zeno made.

Now, you made the claim that I am trying to have it both ways, which lead me to ask you if you understood the difference between a paradox and a fallacy of logic, to which you did not respond.

Do you understand the difference? It is a tricky subject, to say the least. In many contexts the words 'paradox' and 'contradiction' are interchangeable but in this context, it is important to draw some distinction between them because otherwise all contradictions can be blown off as mere paradoxes and lived with happily by whomever wants not to be bothered with the fact that there worldview is incoherent.

Paradoxes are logic puzzles. They are apparently true statements that contradict what we seem to know to be true. The key is not lose grasp of your senses because of a the presence of a paradox. You don't throw out the baby with the bath water, if you will. Paradoxes, if one is intellectually honest, present proof that there is something wrong with the thought process involved in the paradox. It is a matter of choosing what portion of the paradox you are going to reject and on what basis.

Zeno's paradox is easy. You reject the notion that motion is impossible because of the rational impossibility of the contrary. If motion were actually impossible, you could never have read Zeno's paradox and come to the conclusion that motion was impossible in the first place. That doesn't solve the paradox but it does tell you where the error is because the form of the argument itself is entirely valid thus the error must be in the premises, as you skilfully pointed out with what you were saying about Calculus.

This same thing can be applied to the infinite regress problem.

We KNOW that the present moment has arrived because of the rational impossibility of the contrary.

The form of the infinite regress argument is valid.

Therefore all or some of the premises (implied or otherwise) are false in some way.

In other words, I don't let the infinite regress paradox convince me of an irrationality like timeless existence any more than I would have allowed Zeno's paradox to convince me that I can't walk across the room.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. I know I've just dumped a whole bunch on you at once here STP. Don't feel obligated to respond to all of it if you don't want to. I'll understand completely. Four posts in a row is enough to make anyone's eye glaze over.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I misworded my question. You had said earlier that "time as we know it" began at the creation of the universe. Speaking specifically of the "time" as God understood it before creation, did it have no beginning but a definite end?

I assume you reject the KJV rendering of Rev 10:5-7 KJV?

The measure of time with the sun, moon, stars began at creation. We uses watches, but God does not. Whether we measure time or how we do it does not change the fact that it marches on and that duration exists as a concept, even for the eternal, uncreated God.

Time is eternal like love and God. It has no beginning and no end. That is why it says that God is from everlasting to everlasting (endless time, not timelessness). Our watches, sundials, atomic clocks, etc. will end, but time will not (unless God and the universe cease to exist in sequence/duration/succession...not possible).

The KJV is weak on your proof text. A basic word study or check of other versions (e.g. NIV there will be no more delay) captures the meaning in context. There are several words in Gk. for our English word time (chronological, opportune time, etc.). The Bible does not teach that time will end (note the verses in Revelation about eternity and heaven and time....you will have to make them figurative to keep your concept, but there is no exegetical reason to not take them at face value....an hour of duration on earth is an our of duration in heaven...timelessness would not make sense since heaven still involves sequence as seen in Revelation while events happen in parallel on earth while other things happen in heaven over the same duration).

No more delay, not more time....supported by the context and Greek word studies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
A neat paper on time-travel is here, I just heard of this on the History Channel, and a discussion of this can be found here, soon to be a book. Not that I understand this! But it does show that some degree of time-travel may be possible, if Mallett is right, then you can travel back to the moment when the time machine was created.

Blessings,
Lee

Time is unidirectional. Time travel is not possible. It is speculative sci-fi, not biblical nor logical. This explains why I can never make sense of the various time travel movies (Back to the Future; Minority Report, etc.).

Open Theism is like a light going on, eureka.

patman

Well, it means more than a few, and if as you say, God's power is enough to ensure most will be saved, then this result is by God's decision. And then "you are not far from the kingdom of Calvinism"!

Yes, and how can "all Israel" being saved be known? What, if only a few are still being saved, then most of them at that time have no choice?

Blessings,
Lee

Lee, stop putting words in my mouth. What is the point of debate if you assume words I never said.

God is not forcing anyone to be saved. I said God could bring about his kingdom by might, I said nothing of salvation.

Romans 11:
And so all Israel will be saved,[g] as it is written:
g. footnote, saved = delivered

God is not making them get saved, he just knows they will be saved. How does he know? Read revelation. God will be doing some "pruning." The wicked will be dead, the righteous will be victorious. Israel will be preserved, all who remain will be his, and obviously saved.... but not because God made them that way. They chose and God delivered...

Can you see the difference?

SaulToPaul 2

The measure of time with the sun, moon, stars began at creation. We uses watches, but God does not. Whether we measure time or how we do it does not change the fact that it marches on and that duration exists as a concept, even for the eternal, uncreated God.

Time is eternal like love and God. It has no beginning and no end. That is why it says that God is from everlasting to everlasting (endless time, not timelessness). Our watches, sundials, atomic clocks, etc. will end, but time will not (unless God and the universe cease to exist in sequence/duration/succession...not possible).

Did "time" for God as it was before creation change after creation? Will it revert back to that state for the new heaven and new earth when there is no Sun and no night?

SaulToPaul 2

an hour of duration on earth is an our of duration in heaven...timelessness would not make sense since heaven still involves sequence as seen in Revelation while events happen in parallel on earth while other things happen in heaven over the same duration).

How about outside of heaven? As in, before Gen 1:1. An hour still an hour?
How about the interval between the passing away of the current heaven/earth
and the new heaven/earth? An hour still an hour? How many hours will it take
for the Great White throne judgment to finish? I imagine some will be standing there watching & waiting for months?

SaulToPaul 2

Now that's Open Theism applied to Dispensationalism. You can apply it to ANY aspect of the Christian faith and the result is the same. It is a fundamental issue that touches literally every single aspect of the Christian faith from one direction or another. So much so, in fact, that I have repeatedly argued that if the future is settled by any means whatsoever, the Christian worldview is falsified. If the future is settled God is unjust and therefore unrighteous. If the future is settled, love is impossible. The Bible is completely based upon God righteousness, justice and love. If even any one of those concepts are shown to be meaningless then the whole of the Christian faith is completely proven false, including the gospel! Resting in Him,
Clete

So, do those who hold a view that you would classify as "settled" believe in a different God from the One of the Bible? Is their faith in vain, and therefore they are lost since the true gospel can only be understood & believed through the eyes of Open theism?

RobE

But this doesn't get you out of the dilemma you've put yourself into.

I haven't put myself into a dilmna at all except within your thinking. The best course would probably for you to review our entire conversation before continuing.

God is not relating what your will is, but simply the state of your palms.

The 'gap' seems to occur because you fail to recognize that the state of your palms is your will. Until this is resolved you will continue to struggle.

You still have to extricate your god from the puppet state of knowing but not being able to say. God knowing your will doesn't help. If God knows the future exhaustively, then He can know and can say just as He can know and say whatever has taken place in the passed - but you say He can't; therefore either God does not know the future exhaustively, or the god you describe here isn't real.

The argument you created doesn't allow God to speak to you what the outcome is without changing it. This has no bearing on a 'puppet state' or any other illusional condition you wish to place on the situtation. Re-read our discussion for clarity.

But you step right back into the logical contradiction. It doesn't matter if God has the original or the copy. If He has the state of your palms before you do, and the information is exhaustive, it's the same as seeing a tape of the past for God. If you see a tape of something, there is nothing stopping you, all things being equal, from saying what is happening on the tape. To know but not be able to say makes God a not-the-real-God because something is stopping God from saying while knowing, something more powerful than God. Figure out what that is and you have your REAL God RobE.

Just as Jesus said, "Do it quickly!". In your 'test', you have simply made your own ideas the thing which is greater than God and yourself by determining what God and you will do respectively. It proves nothing. Re-read our discussion and you'll see that you have already conceded my position if your own will is determining the outcome instead of God.

What God knows about the future is either through His plans or through calculation. There are some things God cannot calculate and they would be some things based on future freewill contingencies. The kitchen table scenario proves this, and so far you've only supported that proof.

It's nice you feel this way. However, you've offered no proof as to God not being able to calculate/know anything. You've only established a condition in which God is not able to tell you/speak to you His knowledge beforehand without creating a dilemna.

What does this mean? It is saying that God's knowledge is your choice. Now, God might have knowledge of a choice, but that knowledge couldn't be the choice itself, UNLESS, God's knowledge is all that exists and choices don't exist.

It's saying that in effect God's knowledge of your choice and your choice being the opposite of God's knowledge is an absurdity. Your idea is absurd based on the idea that God's knowledge cannot be the opposite of God's knowledge....Just as, your free choice can't be the opposite of your free choice. This is essentially what you ask for proof of. Your thinking is trapped by your own cleverness. Absurd questions yield absurd answers. Step back and have a look.

If you really want to say that what God knows IS your choice (the definition of "God's knowledge = your choice"), then you are saying choices do not exist, but only God's knowledge exists. Then, by your definition, man does not have will. That will answer the test. Do you want your answer to stand? Or do you want to change your answer?

I'm saying that your question, which is absurd, produces absurdity. I've said nothing about reality, but have only discussed the absurdity within your question.

RobE

No STP, I'm sorry but you can't change "cannot do otherwise" to "will not do otherwise". You can't do that because of the definition of the word "necessary". Once a thing is known, it is settled; there is no longer any choice to be made. It has become a rational necessity just like your video tape of the past. It's not that it will not be changed, it's that it cannot be changed.

I mean, I understand why you might want for it to be changed from 'cannot' to 'will not' but you can't do that and maintain a rational worldview. Insisting that you simply will not change an exhaustively foreknown future action rather than that you cannot change it is exactly like insisting that you will not change the past rather than that you cannot change the past. It just doesn't make sense.

A proposition is logically necessary if it is not logically possible for it to be false. - source

You cannot do that which is logically impossible, wouldn't you agree? God can do a great many things that are impossible for men to do but not even God can do the logically impossible nor can He choose not do that which is a logical necessity.

Resting in Him,
Clete

No. Clete. The Stanford proof makes an error in HOW it transfers the necessity. A couple of points.....

1. The necessity of the past does not transfer necessity to a future event(#5).
2.The future is contingent by definition.
3. A necessary IF/Then statement does not mean that the 'if' portion and 'then' portion are necessary independently.
4. The proof changes its modality in #7 from future 'will' to present 'can' for no reason whatsoever.

#4 is the most convincing. The proof proves that in the future 'will' is necessary, but fails to prove the present tense of 'cannot' is necessary.

RobE

Did you get lost in the analogy?

Remember, the past is the future in it. When Joe said "I died today" he, like your view of God, knew all the circumstances when he made the statement after the fact.

You have to think in reverse. Settled past knowledge for us is like settled future knowledge to God(except he knows all the details).

Joe knew the facts of the past were settled, he knew certain circumstances could have changed the outcome, but they are irrelevant to truth because the fact was he didn't die.

Your theology makes God out to be a liar, Rob.

Well, Patrick, their are lies being told here, but not by God. They are being told by yourself to yourself. The future is not settled even though knowledge of it may be settled. For some reason this eludes you.

Also, God saying you 'will be destroyed' and destruction not occurring is a lie by your standard. Why don't you examine your position a little more closely, before calling kettles black.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So, do those who hold a view that you would classify as "settled" believe in a different God from the One of the Bible? Is their faith in vain, and therefore they are lost since the true gospel can only be understood & believed through the eyes of Open theism?

No, it is not necessary to understand the Bible to have faith in God. You don't even have to have ever seen a Bible in order to have faith in God. That doesn't mean that everyone is right though, STP. Calvinism is not only wrong it is blasphemous, making God the author of sin, whether they admit it or not. But blasphemers are saved by the same grace that saves you or I. Presuming that one has access to the gospel message, if he believes that Jesus is the Christ (i.e. that He is God) and that He died in payment for their own sin and that God raised Him from the dead, then that person will be saved - period. I don't care what else he believes, says or does.

All of that, however, has nothing whatsoever to do with the point I made. The fact remains that if even the most well meaning, most genuine and devoutly pious Calvinist (or Arminian) is right about the future being settled, then none of us are saved at all; the entire Christian worldview is incoherent nonsense and must be false. In short, the Settled View believer remains saved because and only because he happens to be completely wrong about the fact that the future is settled. Like I always remind people, saying it doesn't make it so. And just because the Calvinist strongly believes an error doesn't make the error a fact. It remains an error and its a good thing too because otherwise we Christians would all be the biggest fools that ever lived.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Philetus

God is authoritative not libertarian. Where did God give permission to do what we wonted in conflict with His divine plan for man? It is because of this libertarian view that man fell in the garden. Deeds are not done with no consequence.

Gen 2: 15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."​

God gave man freedom to choose and because man chose what he wonted rather than what God wonted, man fell. God did not push man down. Man fell. God didn't say 'If you eat I will kill you'; He said "If you eat you will surely die." Big difference! Consequences? For sure! If the fall was a forgone conclusion in the creation of the world how can you even refer to consequences? Consequences are something that follows as a result and in this case death was the direct result of sin. Those consequences affect not only man but also God and how God relates to His creation. Before the fall no atonement was necessary. It became necessary because of the misuse of God given freedom. It made the incarnation of God the eternal Son all the more necessary and more specifically made the atoning death of the Son a necessity for our salvation from sin (making choices contrary to God's will - i.e. missing the mark).

Philetus

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I notice that RobE is still up to his old tricks.

Hey Rob, you should go find even older arguments that everyone here has refuted a dozen times and repeat those too!

Or better yet! You could just repost the same argument (it doesn't matter which one - just pick one) over and over and over and over again for like say fifty or sixty times in a row and then maybe by some magic the word necessary with flip upside down and turn purple after which time it will suddenly become a perfect synonym of the word contingent! If that happens you'll win the whole debate! Wow! What a technique! Good luck with that.

Excuse me now while I go over here to hold my breath.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
for the Great White throne judgment to finish? I imagine some will be standing there watching & waiting for months?

Time will still pass the same way it does now after the New Heaven and New Earth are created. There will even be twelve month years!

Revelation 22:1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month.​

Just a couple of verses later in this same passage we're told that there will be no Sun nor will there be night. Thus months and years will be marked by the Tree of Life which bares only one sort of fruit each month, its twelve fruits marking twelve consecutive months each year.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Philetus

Well, Patrick, their are lies being told here, but not by God. They are being told by yourself to yourself. The future is not settled even though knowledge of it may be settled. For some reason this eludes you.

Also, God saying you 'will be destroyed' and destruction not occurring is a lie by your standard. Why don't you examine your position a little more closely, before calling kettles black.

Why do we take this black kettle off ignore ... eternal optimism? :idunno:

Some think of God saying you 'will be destroyed' (the true consequence of sin) and destruction not occurring as salvation by grace through faith - not a lie. The water shed issue is (IMHO) that sin pays a wage, but the gift of God is eternal life. The consequence of sin is overturned by the gracious action of God in Christ through the Spirit. God has nothing to do with causing sin ... just correcting it.

Philetus

Philetus

Time will still pass the same way it does now after the New Heaven and New Earth are created. There will even be twelve month years!

Revelation 22:1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month.​

Just a couple of verses later in this same passage we're told that there will be no Sun nor will there be night. Thus months and years will be marked by the Tree of Life which bares only one sort of fruit each month, its twelve fruits marking twelve consecutive months each year.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Well said! I especially like the Revelation reference to 30 minutes (a period of 60 seconds or a 60th part of an hour) of silence in heaven. I hate this you gotta spread it around first … so few to pos-rep in this thread.

STP is going to be standing in line for months that he thinks don't exist?:shut:

P

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Did "time" for God as it was before creation change after creation? Will it revert back to that state for the new heaven and new earth when there is no Sun and no night?

It does not measure if or how you measure time before or after creation. The Psalmist said that God's years are without end. Just as we have years pass, so does God (presentism vs eternalism). Whether duration is measured subjectively with minutes, hours, years, sunsets, earth rotations, grains of sand, atomic clocks, etc., it moves on and on from the potential future to the fixed past through the present. God experienced duration/sequence/succession even before Timex measured it with second hands on watches. This is why issues of Einsteinian relativity are irrelevant to God before creation. Relative observations of observers, clocks slowing down, etc. do not change the fundamental, unidirectional nature of time. In eternity past, God loved moment by moment even if not measured with a watch. Time for God or us does not fundamentally change. Even if you sleep or die and are unaware of earthly time, it still marches on with one moment following another (not all moments at once like eternal now tries to foist on God).

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Technically yes, but in eternity, perceptions may vary. God can also do many things at once. He is omnipresent. We are confined to one location at one time. God can do things in China and Canada at the same time (but He does not travel to past or future because time is not a thing, place, nor space).

Eternity in heaven is more about quality of life than quantity (yet it is still everlasting life and everlasting punishment....the Beast and False Prophet have been in the lake of fire for 1000 YEARS before Satan and the unregenerate join them...there was a literal 1000 years of duration on earth while they experienced 1000 years in hell parallel...I don't think we will be counting minutes in eternity...perception vs timelessness).

http://www.amazon.com/God-Time-Gregory-E-Ganssle/dp/0830815511

(click look inside for contents)

I concur with Nicholas Wolterstorff (I once emailed him). Unless you can interact with the 4 views, A vs B theory of time, etc., I would hope you would not be dogmatic uncritically accepting tradition that may not be truth.

This IVP book is readable and helpful (contrasts major views to help you decide).

I would take William Lane Craig's view as second place, but still feel Wolterstorff is stronger.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

No, there is a difference between essential and peripheral truth (but why not have a more coherent, biblical, defensible view?).

Status
Not open for further replies.