ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman

OVers,

If it could be proven that EDF doesn't eliminate free will choices, would Open View
still exist? This seems to be the main point of contention...

I'm not sure that the often used syllogism proves that free will choices are eliminated. It just proves that what is foreknown is carried out.

Hypothetically, Yes.

We still have scripture that shows future events change from how God said they would.

We also still have the elimination of the problem of God knowingly creating an evil world that he would then condemn.

I could and should go on, but I must go.

Hope this helps get the gears going.

The idea that freewill is impossible with a settled future still stands.:up:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
OVers,

If it could be proven that EDF doesn't eliminate free will choices, would Open View
still exist? This seems to be the main point of contention...

I'm not sure that the often used syllogism proves that free will choices are eliminated. It just proves that what is foreknown is carried out.

I think the converse may be more true: free will choices eliminate EDF. Determinism would be compatible with EDF, but at the expense of genuine free will.

The attempts to argue that knowing one thing about the future brings things down like a house of cards is simplistic and wrong.

lee_merrill

God knew Hezekiah's future as certain WITHOUT REPENTANCE.
So how did God change his mind? and this is a bit odd to call this certain in this way.

God was not mistaken or dishonest with Hezekiah.
So it was conditional, yes, and welcome to God knowing the possibilities! Why the Open view implies God did not think Hezekiah would pray, I'll never know. But that is the implication, if God really changed his mind.

Blessings,
Lee

lee_merrill

Does it make O.T. wrong because no one has an answer?
I think the Open View has a contradiction! that would be a problem.

So please tell me which of the various reasons I have been given--about how God knows only a remnant will be saved, and then all Israel--is the correct reason. And then you will hear my latest unaddressed reply to that reason, I think!

But merely repeating a notion (group dynamics? however many are saved is the remnant?) does not make it a conclusion.

Blessings,
Lee

SaulToPaul 2

I think the converse may be more true: free will choices eliminate EDF. Determinism would be compatible with EDF, but at the expense of genuine free will.

The attempts to argue that knowing one thing about the future brings things down like a house of cards is simplistic and wrong.

As far as I can tell, EDF is no different than a videotape that has recorded
past free will choices made by men...only it's of future free will choices.

patman

This is fine as long as you forget that the videographer made the camera, the tape, the people being filmed, their tendencies, etc.

You have to remember God put the entire setting together. EDF does not remove freewill, it is the idea that the creator had edf when he was creating that removes the freewill.

Every decision that went into design, placement of settings and props, general mind sets, characters interacting, is foreseeable at creation. So the creator would then have the choice to arrange these settings and factors to have an outcome he wanted - and because it was an outcome HE wanted, that removes our will.

patman

I think the Open View has a contradiction! that would be a problem.

So please tell me which of the various reasons I have been given--about how God knows only a remnant will be saved, and then all Israel--is the correct reason. And then you will hear my latest unaddressed reply to that reason, I think!

But merely repeating a notion (group dynamics? however many are saved is the remnant?) does not make it a conclusion.

Blessings,
Lee

Lee, you are going to have to grow up a little. Sorry to say. We answer you, if you don't like the answer, fine, but don't go around pretending you didn't get one.

Why should I repeat what has already been said? I don't really do it for you. Maybe someone will read these posts later and see this.. that is the only reason now. You're bias makes you conclude things you otherwise wouldn't. That makes you nearly impossible to reach.

But anyway, God is smart enough to tell from statistically how many people will follow him. He is also able to bring whatever he wants about. So he can proclaim something and it is within his power to make it happen or not.

This has been explained to you numerous times. Future knowledge is not required for God to know he will win the war. It is God's might(power) that will accomplish his goals.

Israel will be all his when he establishes a kingdom on earth. He'll make it his. This has nothing to do with how many are saved.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

The fixed past is fundamentally different than the potential future. I have pictures of my past, but I do not have pictures of my future. Think about it. God is not in some 4th dimension. You make the same mistake as Einstein to think the past and future are the same concept.

lee_merrill

We answer you, if you don't like the answer, fine, but don't go around pretending you didn't get one.
The problem is that I've gotten maybe half a dozen answers, which one is correct?

Why should I repeat what has already been said?
But I've got outstanding ripostes to all these "answers", which ripostes have not been well, answered.

But anyway, God is smart enough to tell from statistically how many people will follow him.
My riposte being: statistics is not certainty. And this is "his sentence on earth," would God keep people from repenting? Does he not seek to save all lost people?

This has been explained to you numerous times.
This has been claimed many times, yet without addressing my objections.

Israel will be all his when he establishes a kingdom on earth. He'll make it his. This has nothing to do with how many are saved.
All who will be saved will be saved? But there was no need to state this, and clearly--from the context--Paul is saying, now a few, then "all Israel," then fullness. That would be more than a few...

Blessings,
Lee

lee_merrill

Can you prove this?
I am going to express my opinion that Godrulz is not about to analyze Einstein's field equations! Nor I. But the counter-example is unconvincing, I have pictures of Raleigh, but not of Poughkeepsie, does that mean Raleigh is a fundamentally different sort of place than Poughkeepsie? No, they can both be similar in basic aspects.

And the laws of physics are completely reversible in time, the direction in time doesn't matter a bit--to give one example of the past being equal to the future in science.

Blessings,
Lee

patman

The problem is that I've gotten maybe half a dozen answers, which one is correct?

But I've got outstanding ripostes to all these "answers", which ripostes have not been well, answered.

My riposte being: statistics is not certainty. And this is "his sentence on earth," would God keep people from repenting? Does he not seek to save all lost people?

This has been claimed many times, yet without addressing my objections.

All who will be saved will be saved? But there was no need to state this, and clearly--from the context--Paul is saying, now a few, then "all Israel," then fullness. That would be more than a few...

Blessings,
Lee

Let's just focus on the answers I give you when it comes to your responses to me. I can't help what others say, nor do I know nor keep up. All I know is what we talk about.

Lee, I know Israel has had a lot of people in it over the ages. But we are looking at over 6 billion people alive today. Relatively speaking, Israel is a few.

And besides, if you say "Everyone is going to see this movie" do you really mean everyone? Superlatives existed back then too...

RobE

To use future knowledge to alter the future means 2 things. 1. What you knew was not the settled "knowledge". 2. The future is not settled. Why? Because the future you knew didn't actually happen.

If it doesn't happen it wasn't known, was it?

In the end, you knew the facts of what WILL happen. You knew every circumstance that lead to that eventuality. So we are still at the same place we were with my last post.

No. Your assertion is that knowing something isn't really knowing it. If as you say all the circumstances are known then the outcome certainly is known as well. That doesn't mean the outcome is no longer contingent. It only means the knowledge of the outcome is no longer contingent.

Oh yes. To knowingly say something will happen other than what will happen is a lie. Possibilities and conditions do not matter.

How about saying something is certain when you know it isn't certain(open view). Is that a lie?

Lets again use the settled "knowledge" past as an example for the settled future "knowledge".

Joe was stopped at a traffic light when it turned to green. Joe knew to look both ways before going just in case someone ran the red light from the other direction. This time it was a good thing he did, because a huge Truck full of a poisonous gas ran the red light. Had he went on, it was obvious the truck would have hit him, broke open and spilled the gas killing everyone around, including Joe. But because Joe looked both ways before going through a red light, he didn't die.

Joe goes home and tell his wife "I died today at a traffic light when a truck hit me and poisoned me with the gasses it was moving."

According to your logic, Rob, Joe told his wife the truth.:kookoo:

What you forget is the big picture. Unlike Joe, God would know about the truck or anything else which would occur before making a decision. Complete knowledge is much different than a man's belief about what might occur. God is just a little more intelligent than Joe according to open theism. I hold to the idea that God is infinitely more intelligent than man, so what a man is able to do in a limited way - God is able to do in an infinite manner.

Blessed Easter and see you in a couple of days.

Your Friend,
Rob Mauldin

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Can you prove this?

Do I look like a theoretical physicist?

J.R. Lucas' 'A Treatise on Time and Space' is very technical (mathematical, philosophical, theological). Smoke came out of my ears before I could fully understand the proofs. Your brain is younger and more resilient. Read the hundreds of pages of proofs and get back to us.:wazzup:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I am going to express my opinion that Godrulz is not about to analyze Einstein's field equations! Nor I. But the counter-example is unconvincing, I have pictures of Raleigh, but not of Poughkeepsie, does that mean Raleigh is a fundamentally different sort of place than Poughkeepsie? No, they can both be similar in basic aspects.

And the laws of physics are completely reversible in time, the direction in time doesn't matter a bit--to give one example of the past being equal to the future in science.

Blessings,
Lee

The issues about God and time/eternity predate material creation. Einstein is trying to deal with creation and physics, so this is not relevant to uncreated Creator (spirit). The issues are more fundamental and philosophical. Clocks on mountains or relativity and moving trains are not the proofs we need about God's experience as spirit before creation. There are hints in His self-revelation that support endless time, not timelessness (actually Gen. to Rev. at face value is the proof you seek).

Einstein was not right about everything and never did find the holy grail of a unifying theory (we know it is God upholding things).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Rob: Just because man lifts rocks does not mean God can create a rock too heavy to lift. Somethings are incoherent even for an infinite God. As well, you also can have voluntary self-limitations such as creating free moral agents leading to a negation of EDF.

SaulToPaul 2

Do I look like a theoretical physicist?

J.R. Lucas' 'A Treatise on Time and Space' is very technical (mathematical, philosophical, theological). Smoke came out of my ears before I could fully understand the proofs. Your brain is younger and more resilient. Read the hundreds of pages of proofs and get back to us.:wazzup:

You are the one who dogmatically said, "DO NOT make the same mistake Einstein made." I was just curious if you could actually prove him wrong. Apparently not.

lee_merrill

All I know is what we talk about.
You were referring to other people's replies too, in claiming "We answered this many times."

Relatively speaking, Israel is a few.
But the prophecy meant a few within Israel.

And besides, if you say "Everyone is going to see this movie" do you really mean everyone? Superlatives existed back then too...
And as I said to Godrulz, the problem remains, how can God know many, if not most, will be saved?

Blessings,
Lee

patman

You were referring to other people's replies too, in claiming "We answered this many times."

But the prophecy meant a few within Israel.

And as I said to Godrulz, the problem remains, how can God know many, if not most, will be saved?

Blessings,
Lee

Why do you say "most" will be saved?

Looking at the world's religious beliefs, here are the stats worldwide:

33% - Christian
20% - Muslim
13% - Hindu
14% - Non-Religious Atheist
20% - Other

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Worldwide_percentage_of_Adherents_by_Religion.png

1 in 3 is not "most."

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
"Repent" is your interpretation, I say God relented of the disaster, because Nineveh was overthrown as God said, and by repentance.
It is not my interpretation. The word is Nacham which means repent - period, which is supported by the remainder of the text in Jonah. In particular Jonah 3:10, which you continually ignore.

I quoted Strong's, even, but there are better lexicons.
Strong's is not a lexicon, its a concordance and it didn't get it wrong at all, and you know it. The fact that you have to imply as much only shows the weakness of your position.

Don't be silly, I know of one or two translators personally who are definitely not Calvinists. One of them is an Arminian who denies it! His Arminianism, I mean.
I'm not being silly. I am however using the terms 'Settled View' and 'Calvinism' as nearly interchangeable terms. I shouldn't do that because its confusing but its a difficult habit to break. As far as Open Theism is concerned Arminianism and Calvinism are nearly synonymous because both teach that the future is settled and as such are prone to allowing the paradigm to color their translation of the Bible.

Consult Holladay please--and note the many meanings even in Strong's--it does not mean only repent.
Yes it does. For all practical purposes it does, anyway. Especially when that meaning is so strongly supported by the context as is the case in Jonah.

How do you know he is a Calvinist? I think it unlikely, given his background.
He's affiliated with the Church of Christ, which means he's probably an Arminian but like I said a moment ago, for my dime, its virtually the same thing. The point is that any other translation of the word 'nacham' in this context is without question motivated by doctrine and not a knowledge of ancient Hebrew.

Which King James, may I ask? "And God saw their workes, that they turned from their euill way, and God repented of the euill that hee had sayd, that he would doe vnto them, and he did it not." That's how my King James reads. But I thought I would find it under Google if it was KJV, in this I was mistaken. But why do Open Theists tend to use the King James?
There isn't but one King James of any significance. If I had meant some odd ball edition it would have been incumbent upon me to point it out.

You need to apply this verse to your conduct, I would say.
That's because you don't know the Bible. When I want your opinion about my personal conduct I'll ask for it, otherwise you can stick your personal opinions where the Sun don't shine for all I care.

Well, this would be another contradiction, this one being within the very principles and statements of Open Theism, alas--I must add it to my list. For if God really changed his mind, then his purpose was for judgment without mercy.
Saying it doesn't make it so and your displayed thinking skills have left something to be desired frankly and so you can count on me not to take your word for it. Demonstrate the contradiction or keep these silly unsupported comments to yourself.

God knew they would repent, his plan was that they repent, and he sent Jonah to warn them of judgment, to bring about that repentance.
The book of Jonah directly contradicts you as I have now repeated shown and as you have now repeatedly ignored.

Therefore, either you are a liar or God is.

Not if the word was "overthrow". It was.
Once again, the book of Jonah directly contradicts you, as I have now repeatedly shown and as you have now repeatedly ignored.

That is implied if God really changed his mind.
Only in your warped little excuse for a brain.

So Jonah followed God's thinking, according to the Open View, and looked for judgment, and God changed his mind, and Jonah was disappointed. The plan was spoiled by sending Jonah.
You are truly stupid. This nonsense isn't even worth responding too. It's isn't according to the Open View, its according to the book of Jonah you idiot! Jonah expected for God to change His mind! (Actually, "repent" is better than "changed His mind" in this case but everyone understands the point.) That's the whole reason Jonah didn't want to go there in the first place! He didn't want for God to change His mind and Jonah knew that the only way that God would change His mind is if someone managed to convince them to repent!
How is that so difficult to understand?

Let's see you post with your last name, then! It does help rein in impulses to vitriol and diatribe.
You're an idiot. You think that because your nice that you're somehow a better Christian and I stand up to declare just the opposite. If you don't like me, its almost certainly because I don't want you to like me. I treat those I consider enemies as enemies, Lee. And make no mistake about it, you are an enemy of mine. You cannot think clearly and teach false doctrine that you know you cannot rationally defend. It boggles my mind that you can call yourself a Christian and do such things but such is the state of the modern Church, especially in America. If it were up to me, which it is not, you would be excommunicated for your blasphemy and false doctrine.

The fact that the point concerning anonymity so completely lost on you only goes to demonstrate your incompetence to even participate in these discussions. Why don't you go find a hobby that is better suited to your level of intelligence and leave these discussions to those of us with fully developed thinking and communication skills who have actually read the Bible and aren't afraid to conform our doctrine to what it says rather than conforming what it says to our doctrine as you are so fond of doing?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Status
Not open for further replies.