ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman

Ok. I see you went through a lot of work.

Gen 15:13 Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years.​

"Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs..."

How many years were they in a land that was 'not theirs'?

Then add how many years they were afflicted.

Then add how many years until they had their own nation.

The total is: ___________ Fill in your answer here.

One more question - How many actions of free will agents were foreknown during this time?

Let's see... Esau was 40 when he married and when Jacob moved to Canaan(Jacob was the same age as Esau). That would be Abrahams 200th year. Then, 90 years later, he moved to Egypt. After that another 350ish years max would pass. Making the max number of years Jacob's children were in Canaan and Egypt 440 max.

Exodus 12:40 tells us it was 430 years. So that would mean 10 years should be taken away from the 440, this is accounted for by considering that the number 350 came from the facts that Kohath lived to be 133, and his son Amram lived to be 137. This allows 10 years play room for the year of either mans' birth. For example Kohath was 123 when Amram was born.

So we get the number 430 that Exodus tells us about. So where were you going with this? Another 40 years in the desert. Plus the time it took to seize the land. I really don't feel like looking up that number. 430 + 40 = 470.

Rob, when will you recognize that despite everything God did say would happen, the one thing that didn't happen as he said it would proves God didn't foresee all of the future?

That is what Open Theism is. The future is open in parts, closed in parts. God said they would be slaves 400 years, it was REALLY 270.

God didn't lie, he changed his mind, changed the future, whatever, to keep Israel from having to stay another 130 years in slavery! His mercy is great!

Philetus

Interesting conversation, Lon, and good observations.

If we are making predictions, I will state I doubt the OV folk will find the time or be inclined to turn to scholarship or find unity, due to dispensational divisions already apparent in their midst. This serious distraction will prove to be an internal albatross, that will preclude theological progress into spiritual maturity of any kind, and their eventual undoing.

Nang

I agree it is an interesting conversation.

But, not all OV folks are dispensational. I'm not. Never have been. Not all Open Theists are MAD. I'm Not. Never have been. (Well, except for those two week in the B Ward. :rolleyes: ) I do agree that the whole dispensational position is dead weight to the Gospel (IMHO). Still, I think you'll find as much unity and 'spiritual maturity' among Open Theists as you find among Calvinists ... some where between three and five points to be sure ... and how long have you guys been working on your Tulip?

I don't want to just joust with you, but I think you will find that given the relativity short time that Open Theism has been around as a Theological discipline, it is doing its scholarly home work, and it is and will prove to be a very fruitful. In the time that Calvinism has ruled the day in the west, the church has grown how much? The world isn’t buying your view because it offers them no hope. The sad thing is that along with your theology they have rejected God’s offer in Christ because they thought they had no say. I encounter that attitude every day on the streets.) Now where could they have gotten that idea? Limited atonement? Double predestination? Total depravity? I’m finding that when presented with the truth that God in Christ is for them … all of them … they receive His gift with enthusiasm. (Some don't, Lee. :chuckle: )

So don’t be too quick to judge what is going on in the church and the world by the interesting yet sometimes shallow discussions in this thread. They are shallow because Calvinists are dictating and still defining the terms of the debate and none of us should underestimate the residual thinking that we all bring to the table from our preconceived theologies.

God is doing a new thing. Can you perceive it? Isaiah 43:19

Philetus

Nang

TOL Subscriber
God is doing a new thing. Can you perceive it? Isaiah 43:19

Philetus

Isaiah spoke of the incarnation of Jesus Christ . . .not OVT.

If abuse of Scripture is how you intend to establish your credentials, I predict your movement will not last a decade.

Nang

Philetus

No, how God can know that most in Israel will not, and then later, all Israel will be saved.

Gee, Lee, maybe because the 'most who will not' refers to the Old Testament Israel (leaving a remnant) and the 'all will' refers to the New Israel in Christ (neither Jew nor Gentile). Just a thought. Why don't you tell us what you think it means?

Isn't it interesting how knowledge kind of grows on you?
Philetus

Philetus

Isaiah spoke of the incarnation of Jesus Christ . . .not OVT.

If abuse of Scripture is how you intend to establish your credentials, I predict your movement will not last a decade.

Nang

Really Nang. Isaiah spoke of the incarnation of Jesus Christ ... not Calvinism. Your doctrine is already dying ... no prediction necessary.

We are at an impasse for now and jousting won't resolve it. Time will tell.

Philetus

Lon

You really need to make up your mind. If God is the determinist of creation, then God purposed all of mankind to be injected. It was His full intention and will that this be done.
This is what I mean when I say that you blind yourself to other aspects of your theology when you discuss these things. Do you honestly forget that you believe that God is the cause of all things that happen?
Let's revisit that. In OV, God would still have been aware Adam and Eve were being tempted. He at that time could have intervened (either of our theological stances here actually). So foreknowledge doesn't push me any further into the dilemma than you. I sometimes see OV as stepping back and pushing the Calvinist into the danger. Reminds me of the two guys running from the bear. They see him coming up the valley straight for them. Both guys scramble to the top of the hill. The bear is some distance back, but one of the kids sits down catching his breath and starts pulling off his boots and putting on his sneakers.

"What are you doing?! You can't outrun a bear!"

"I know, but I can outrun you!"

Thus, Adam was not the cause of injecting the race. Neither was Satan. God was.

Now, if you're an Open View Theist, then you can say that Adam and/or Satan was the cause of mankind's sinful state, since God isn't the cause, because His will was for righteousness, and did all that He could to bring that about, but also gave Adam and Eve space for them to choose to accept or reject Him.

Foreknowledge doesn't mean determine. Ordained doesn't mean authored.
I see how you are equating them, but you are dragging in your Aminian/OV luggage for the rationale. Both positions are whole-sale buy-ins. If you only consider part, and from your own premises, it won't look right. You'll extrapolate incorrectly. It isn't that I'm not seeing your recognition of inconsistencies in my position, I'm seeing them. The problem is all the work it takes to get one with presuppositions to see through the other lenses.

I don't have the problem of God being the cause of sin.
It is the same question. The time consideration is all that is moved. Where was God during the temptation? You say He allowed (ordained) just as I do. I just say He fore-ordained, but the problem isn't the fore, it is the ordination. It isn't God's problem, it is our understanding problem (I know you are with me on that point).

But those who don't hold that belief are living in a huge logical inconsistency, which has been repeatedly exposed, here.
That is agreed. When I was Arminian I said the same thing. It took a very long time. I was skeptical, but as I compared thoughts to scripture and those Calvinist words popped up in scripture, I began to wonder if God was pushing me into an understanding of who He was. The biggest push was over Salvation. Whether I could lose it or not. I'm not talking about just saying a prayer, but scripture seemed to warn about me being separated from the vine if I wasn't careful. I had no assurance. That's originally why I began examining Calvinism as I was searching the scriptures. I began comparing and came to realize that my presuppositions needed careful analysis for me to be able to examine Calvinism properly. There were all kinds of reasons for disqualifying Calvinism I held onto for a long time. I'm still pretty light in my conforming theology, but I'm finding as I discover those foundational truthes and premises, that it requires foundational acceptance for it to fit and make sense (well enough of a testimony here).

There's a problem, here. If it is ordained before anyone else exists, who authored it?
If I watched a pretaping of the superbowl, and then we watch it together, it still doesn't mean I had anything to do with the superbowl outcome. Again, even in the OV, God sees us acting when we are acting. You are just hung up on the timing of it, but the big questions aren't affected by it.

As a Calvinist, you'd have that question to ask, since you don't know if they'd be elect or not.

As an OVT, I don't, since I fully intend to teach my kids to be followers of Christ.

Again, as a Calvinist parent, you should ask these questions, along with asking whether they're going to be elect or not.
As OVT, I don't have these concerns, since I know that God desires all to be saved, including my kids, and I have faith that God will save them.

The problem is the logical inconsistency in the modern Calvinist stance.
It was more of a sympathetic illustration. Just one to allow you to climb into a Calvinist mindset for how he'd see it.

Who authored sin, then, since it obviously was a reality before God created.
Can I reword this for help? "Who authored sin since it is obviously a reality?"
I think it is the same answer. Satan and then man perpetuating.

How many kids should you have, knowing that you're going to condemn 2/3s of them to eternal torment? (I should think zero.)
How much implication here though? If there is 'even the possibility' how responsible can any parent be in having kids? You are distancing from the dilemma with your theological stance, that I grant you. But the implications are still hanging there. Should any of us ever have children? How responsible does this make us?

But your theology doesn't reflect that.
I understand that from your POV. I was there. Same thing here. It took me a long time. I have friends who are still Arminian who don't catch that either.

But creating 2/3s of mankind just to send them to eternal torment? That's "love"?
It happens in your worldview too. "Few are those who find it." Same question, no difference. Similar answers too, it is just that it is seen more starkly in a Calvinist worldview. It doesn't disappear just because the lines may get blurred.
Are you sure you're Calvinist? have you heard of limited atonement or unconditional election or irresistible grace?
Yes. I should have qualified "we" but remember I'm a newb. I can only move a step at a time and I'm a very slow mover on theological stances.
God isn't doing anything for the unelect in Calvinism. Nothing. Zero. Nada. They're already going to hell, no chance of getting saved. They were headed to hell before God ever created.
I see this differently. "The same rain falls on the righteous and wicked..."
If He cares about a sparrow, He certainly cares about all His creation. He abhors the wicked, but I see even a life lived on this earth as grace. He has to sustain their breath after-all.

AMR and Nang could help me out here, but I don't see this disagreeing with a Calvinist perspective.

And even for the elect: God "ordains" us to sin and condemnation, and then God comes and dies to "save" us from what He inflicted upon us in the first place. That doesn't sound like "love".
How has your theology escaped the same logical conclusion? If God saw Adam and Eve sinning and didn't stop it, what happened? Again, I think our answers are similar and once again, you are just seeing it starkly in Calvinism. It is simply clouded (obfuscated) in an Arminian/OV conception. It doesn't matter 'when' He knew as long as it isn't regated to the past. Present and future offer up virtually the same problems.

Again, you have yet to explain who "authored" what God "ordained" before He "ordained" it.
Same question.
KEY WORD: HELPED. You didn't DETERMINE my decision. I did. Again, more word games.

Again, more word games. Influence isn't determinism. Determinism says that everything has been determined beforehand. There is no influence in determinism. You're trying to redefine "determinism.' that's word games.
No, again, I've explained how I see it. I'll try to remember your definitions as we discuss these in the future. We have different nuanced understandings of those words.

I'm just dropping the last half here to try to keep my promise in shortening these. I've also cut a bit from the top half as well.

In Him

Lon

Lon

Then let's start a thread on the exegetical foundation of Calvinism. As I've studied it, I've found several problems there.
A bible study? What is the premise. I could see it becoming very long and time consuming. What do you propose?

Prophecy. Hands pierced. Cross.

Question 4. What doth the law of God require of us?
Answer. Christ teaches us that briefly, Matt. 22:37-40, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. This is the first and the great commandment; and the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Question 5. Canst thou keep all these things perfectly?
Answer. In no wise; [c] for I am prone by nature to hate God and my neighbor. [d]

Question 6. Did God then create man so wicked and perverse?
Answer. By no means; but God created man good, [a] and after his own image, in true righteousness and holiness, that he might rightly know God his Creator, heartily love him and live with him in eternal happiness to glorify and praise him. [c]

Question 7. Whence then proceeds this depravity of human nature?
Answer. From the fall and disobedience of our first parents, Adam and Eve, [d] in Paradise; hence our nature is become so corrupt, that we are all conceived and born in sin. [e]

Question 8. Are we then so corrupt that we are wholly incapable of doing any good, and inclined to all wickedness?
Answer. Indeed we are; [f] except that we are regenerated by the Spirit of God. [g]

Question 9. Doth not God then do injustice to man, by requiring from him in his low, that which he cannot perform?
Answer. Not at all; [a] for God made man capable of performing it; but man, by the instigation [c] of the devil, and his own willful disobedience, [d] deprived himself and all his posterity of those divine gifts.

Notice that 5 and 9 are in obvious contradiction.

Muz

Thank you.

I appreciate that a bunch.

In Him,

Lon

patman

LOL, thanks. It was the second part, but I see your point.

(One should be careful about posting LOL's)

I'm busted by association! :shock:

:chuckle:

It's no big deal. I though it was cool how you separated yourself from them! Good for you ;)

Lon

:chuckle:

It's no big deal. I though it was cool how you separated yourself from them! Good for you ;)

I forgot, what was the problem whether it was 200 or 400? Ball-parking or what? I'm not sure what the initial premise was regarding OV or nonOV.

patman

I forgot, what was the problem whether it was 200 or 400? Ball-parking or what? I'm not sure what the initial premise was regarding OV or nonOV.

Did you completely change this post? I was just about to ask you what you thought about my evidence.

The point is that God said:

Gen 15:13 Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years

But that didn't happen. It was actually 270 years of slavery... They weren't even in Egypt for 340 years. They were only in Canaan for 90 years.

So what God said didn't come to pass. If God looked into the future, and the future is settled just like the past is settled, then he would have saw 270 years of serving and affliction.

So if the future is settled, how can a God who does not lie say 400 years when he knew it would be 270?

Lon

Did you completely change this post? I was just about to ask you what you thought about my evidence.

The point is that God said:

Gen 15:13 Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years

But that didn't happen. It was actually 270 years of slavery... They weren't even in Egypt for 340 years. They were only in Canaan for 90 years.

So what God said didn't come to pass. If God looked into the future, and the future is settled just like the past is settled, then he would have saw 270 years of serving and affliction.

So if the future is settled, how can a God who does not lie say 400 years when he knew it would be 270?

-Yes, sorry, I had an afterthought that I shouldn't just jump into the middle of a conversation as that could become a real mess in a hurry and decided I need to dig back for the context.

For 270 years.
(was this one of your sources?)
A little from both with objections handled.

patman

-Yes, sorry, I had an afterthought that I shouldn't just jump into the middle of a conversation as that could become a real mess in a hurry and decided I need to dig back for the context.

For 270 years.
(was this one of your sources?)
A little from both with objections handled.

Lon, why does everyone try to reword the prophecy in their explanations?

The verse said in Gen 15:13 ...“Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years

Can you admit to me that Settled theology forces you to reword scripture?

patman

Seems someone else is being ignored around here.

AMR already gave explanation and links regarding this timeline, yesterday.

Sheesh . . .

Nang

Nang, why does everyone try to reword scripture when it plainly says:

patman

From most analyses, there were 215 years of sojourning in and around Canaan, and 215 years of sojourning and oppression in Goshen and Egypt = 430 years.

And, once again, you are not being precise as all these links and the cited reference I gave you will clearly indicate. :chuckle:

Ummm... did you even read my post?

-The 430 Years refers to the time Israel was in Canaan and Egypt.

Could you try being precise in your reading?

Besides, my post to Rob along with my timeline with biblical sources divides the time they were in Egypt and Canaan pretty well.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Nang, why does everyone try to reword scripture when it plainly says:

I suspect you did not bother to read the materials AMR provided.

Nang

Lon

Lon, why does everyone try to reword the prophecy in their explanations?

The verse said in Gen 15:13 ...“Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years

Can you admit to me that Settled theology forces you to reword scripture?

No. You read the post. Make sure to read AMR's as well.

Lon

I suspect you did not bother to read the materials AMR provided.

Nang

Yeah, those 2nd and 3rd links are substantial. If you hadn't read them, now would be a good time, Pat.

(so strongly refuted as to be obvious)

Status
Not open for further replies.