Not open for further replies.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lon, AMR, Rob

I grow tired of being accused of not being "precise."

As precisely as I could be in the time allotted me, I constructed the timeline you see above.

Now it is up to you to explain how the reality of two hundred years in slavery is not even close to the four hundred years prophesied.

Upon a very close examination of scripture, and with some research, I have shown how the facts.
:thumb:
Please go read the citation I provided that has meticulously reconstructed the timeline. You are poorly plowing over ground that has been tilled by many smarter minds than you or I. If unsettled theism stands or falls on this sort of stuff, then it is a very shakily crafted theology.

Some other suggestions
here
here
here
here
here
here

From most analyses, there were 215 years of sojourning in and around Canaan, and 215 years of sojourning and oppression in Goshen and Egypt = 430 years.

And, once again, you are not being precise as all these links and the cited reference I gave you will clearly indicate. :chuckle:

Last edited:

themuzicman

I'm seeing a lot of misdirection here (intentionally or unintentionally, I'm not accusing).

I'm not disagreeing with your first statement, as there are double-fulfillments of some prophecies, etc. but I'd qualify that God isn't 'ball-parking' from my understanding.

1) Would be a very limited span in my mind and it is really pressing the envelope.
-3 times to deny (an exact number) ball-parking would have worked fine if that is all we are supposed to hone in on, but that isn't what happened is it?
-"on this night" very limited
-"after" the rooster crowed not after one denial, two denials, but exactly three

Depending on when it was spoken, "on this night" could be as many as 10 or 12 hours. That's a very long period of time.

Further, I have doubts about your claim that God is omnipotent, as you seem to think that God is unable to keep a rooter from crowing or causing a rooster to crow when He needs one to.

Do you believe God is omnipotent? Can God make a rooster crow?

-it wasn't just Peter. Jesus told all of them they would scatter and all of them said they'd die rather than abandon Him.
Not one stayed. The prophecy was fulfilled to the letter.

LOL... Like that was hard to prophesy. Again, nothing more than present knowledge is required for this. They didn't have the courage to stand with Christ.

Our discussion here is: Does God control man's free-will ever? Does God really foreknow man's future decisions. One of these two must be correct. Which is the determinist here?

But we need to be more precise. EDF states that God has known from before creation what every person who has existed or ever will exist will choose. It's a very specific course of the future, where prophecies are fulfilled in one and only one way.

This is Rob's error, as well. He's trying to expand (or water down) EDF, so that it's not all events and choices for all time known eternally, but just that certain short term prophecies can be made based upon present circumstance, too. And that's disingenuous. It's semantic games.

Either you embrace Exhaustive, definite foreknowledge as certain and, within the context of this world, necessary knowledge of ALL events that happen at all time, or you do not embrace EDF at all.

(I'm for foreknowledge AND foreordination which is a double-bind, but I don't shy away from the implications upon my theology. It is incorrect to extrapolate that "I" believe God to be the author of sin).

I'm sure you don't believe it, but that doesn't make it logically consistent.

I'd love for the OV theist to embrace the implication here rather than running from it.

There is no implication, other than in your presuppositional mind.

2) 3)The implication is hyper-determinist if God has no foreknowledge.

You've gotten as twisted up in this as Rob.

At this point, the OV has God intervening invasively to make a prophecy come to pass in order to free Him up from being the author of sin as it supposes a stance on EDF. EDF does not make God the author of man's choices, but the ordainer of those choices.

ROFL... Ignoring, of course, the obvious logical contradiction, I suppose.

OV comes much closer (albeit uncomforably and assumed) to a God who has direct involvement of the sinner in prophetic actions. It is a trade-off that is too close for comfort even if there is respite between those moments in the OV mindset.

It's only too close for comfort to those who respond to the FUD (that's "fear, uncertainty, and doubt") of those who oppose OVT. Of course, we already know that which is not of faith is sin, so....

If one is looking for a logically consistent view of God and Scripture that asserts that God is not the cause of sin, then one must embrace OVT.

Muz

RobE

Lon, AMR, Rob

As precisely as I could be in the time allotted me, I constructed the timeline you see above.

Now it is up to you to explain how the reality of two hundred years in slavery is not even close to the four hundred years prophesied.

Upon a very close examination of scripture, and with some research, I have shown how the facts.

Ok. I see you went through a lot of work.

Gen 15:13 Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years.​

"Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs..."

How many years were they in a land that was 'not theirs'?

Then add how many years they were afflicted.

Then add how many years until they had their own nation.

The total is: ___________ Fill in your answer here.

One more question - How many actions of free will agents were foreknown during this time?

RobE

This is Rob's error, as well. He's trying to expand (or water down) EDF, so that it's not all events and choices for all time known eternally, but just that certain short term prophecies can be made based upon present circumstance, too. And that's disingenuous. It's semantic games.

Either you embrace Exhaustive, definite foreknowledge as certain and, within the context of this world, necessary knowledge of ALL events that happen at all time, or you do not embrace EDF at all.

It isn't foreknowledge if it's indefinite. If I foreknow the Bronco's will win the game tommorrow and they don't win then I didn't foreknow anything.

By the same token, for it to be definite I must exhaustively foreknow all events leading up to it otherwise something might interfere with them winning.

The part of your statement above is untrue about my beliefs. Which one of us is claiming that "so that it's not all events and choices for all time known eternally, but just that certain short term prophecies can be made "? I would say that this is your position and not mine.

Muz said:
Foreknowledge, in an of itself, just means that someone knows something is going to happen (in some way) before it happens. It doesn't even have to be definite, but could happen in any number of ways.

Cause and effect.

If one is looking for a logically consistent view of God and Scripture that asserts that God is not the cause of sin, then one must embrace OVT.

Muz

Why should you request Lon to do this when apparently the 'ots' have accepted the Calvinist's position?

Muz said:
LOL... So, you're saying that Judas could STILL repent?

God elects some to paradise and elects others to damnation.

Muz said:
That's laughable. Go read John 6:44. If God doesn't draw him, then Judas ain't repenting. Period. That was the end of Lee's argument, too.

Rob

p.s. Why do open theists view God as one who runs around tormenting the livestock? Doesn't He have better things to do? Rooster sqeezins aside, how about the free wills of those who asked Peter the questions? How about Peter using his own free will and go into hiding before those events occurred? How many free will decisions would have to be COERCED for Christ's words to become true? It would require more than 'muscling' one old rooster, wouldn't it? In fact, it would require that God orchestrate the entire life of Peter from the time of Christ's proclamation to bring the events to one rooster's crow!

The only other option is that Christ simply foreknew it.

lee_merrill

Again, nothing more than present knowledge is required for this. They didn't have the courage to stand with Christ.
Again, you confuse estimates with certainty, yes, it could be estimated, no, it could not be prophesied with certainty.

If one is looking for a logically consistent view of God and Scripture that asserts that God is not the cause of sin...
Then one has strayed from Scripture, certainly God is not the source of evil, but indeed God causes sin, and for a good purpose.

Romans 5:20 Now the law came in so that the transgression might increase, but where sin increased, grace multiplied all the more...

Or here:

Isaiah 10:15 Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it, or the saw boast against him who uses it?

This referred to the invasion of Assyria, acts of sinful people.

Isaiah 10:12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, "I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes."

And was Peter's faithfulness in martyrdom, in whatever circumstances this might involve, a free choice? If so, in all the possible circumstances in which it might happen, how could this be known? if not, how would this faithfulness bring special glory to God?

Blessings,
Lee

themuzicman

Again, you confuse estimates with certainty, yes, it could be estimated, no, it could not be prophesied with certainty.

It most absolutely could. Given the present state of their hearts, it wouldn't even require God's knowledge to know that.

Then one has strayed from Scripture, certainly God is not the source of evil, but indeed God causes sin, and for a good purpose.

Romans 5:20 Now the law came in so that the transgression might increase, but where sin increased, grace multiplied all the more...[/quote]

This does NOT say that God causes sin. As we saw in Romans 2, knowledge of the law is required for sin to be sin. Thus, with law, all know right from wrong, and we choose to sin even more as a result of knowing the law, but God's grace increases as a result!

Or here:

Isaiah 10:15 Does the ax raise itself above him who swings it, or the saw boast against him who uses it?

This referred to the invasion of Assyria, acts of sinful people.

But this wasn't to cause sin, but to bring God's judgment against Israel. Again, God isn't causing their evil actions, but the ones that He desires to come about, namely the invasion and conquering of Israel.

And, as you note:

Isaiah 10:12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, "I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes."

Assyria was punished for the sins they committed while they we're doing the overall will of God, which was to conquer Israel.

I'm surprised that you cannot distinguish the two, but want to make God the cause of evil.

And was Peter's faithfulness in martyrdom, in whatever circumstances this might involve, a free choice?

Yes. One that Peter made while sitting there with Jesus.

If so, in all the possible circumstances in which it might happen, how could this be known?

Because Peter's choice was already made.

if not, how would this faithfulness bring special glory to God?

Why would it have to?

Muz

Lon

Lon, AMR, Rob

Er...I can play along, but how did I make that list?

Lon

Depending on when it was spoken, "on this night" could be as many as 10 or 12 hours. That's a very long period of time.

Further, I have doubts about your claim that God is omnipotent, as you seem to think that God is unable to keep a rooter(roto- or the club?-just 'funnin') from crowing or causing a rooster to crow when He needs one to.

Do you believe God is omnipotent? Can God make a rooster crow?

Back that up please, it is jumping way ahead of the question game like trying to watch the half-time show at first quarter. "How would God know how many times Peter would actually deny?" (The rooster (or rooter :) ) isn't even an issue to me in this particular discussion.

LOL... Like that was hard to prophesy. Again, nothing more than present knowledge is required for this. They didn't have the courage to stand with Christ.
After this, they all but two died a martyr's death and one of those was persectuted into island exile. I'd call that courage. You can make a case for conversion having something to do with this, but nonchristian soldiers lay their lives on the line all the time for their fellow man so I don't have the same mind here on this subject. It wasn't a 'no-brainer' statement but a prophecy fulfilled.

But we need to be more precise. EDF states that God has known from before creation what every person who has existed or ever will exist will choose. It's a very specific course of the future, where prophecies are fulfilled in one and only one way.

Not for me. EDF gets no watering from my perspective. I've stated many times that 1) God knows our actions and 2) He knows His own actions 3) He knows how they interact. He, Himself is an acting component to all. In fact all cannot progress without His complete interaction. Here is a question: Is it wicked for a doctor to give the pox virus to a patient? (I'm not sure you'll catch the parallel but it is an important question for our discussion-would the doctor be evil?).
Agree

I'm sure you don't believe it, but that doesn't make it logically consistent.
No, I believe this. The doctor question will take us down the discussion route nicely.

There is no implication, other than in your presuppositional mind.
Of course there is. Either God is impotent and at the mercies of unknown factors and can guarrantee us nothing, or He invasively controls certain situations over-ruling man's choices to accomplish His purposes. As I've been given any other option from the OV it is either logically incoherent or is actually an attempt to obfuscate one of the above.

So I might have mistated the OV position but I have yet to see anyone offer a cogent argument that doesn't lead to these two options. I want to be careful here because it is similar to God being the author of sin in your evaluation of Calvinism. You don't have to necessarily believe the two choices above but it is merely a problem of the logic of it from an outsider looking in.

You've gotten as twisted up in this as Rob.

No, I said 'implication.' Implied means just that and it was up to you at that point to show how one looking in isn't perceiving correctly. I purposefully stated it that way so you could walk me through it instead of obfuscating and telling me I'm wrong. It is an 'implied' understanding. Walk me through it. How can God know Judas will betray AND for 30 pieces of silver? How can God name Josiah 300+ years before he is born? How can God know which nations will attack which people and which ensuing nations will conquer those and so forth if He does not know the future intentions of man? I can only see two ways. Your ballparking figures with guestimation doesn't work in these instances. They are too precise. Denying exactly 3 times is a very precise and pretty darn accurate guess. So again, either God knows, or He makes it happen. You seem to alternate between these two ideas depending on the circumstance of your interpretation. I'm trying to reason this out, but it is very difficult to not come to either of these two conclusions and OV seems to have no coherence for me to objectively assert one or the other. When Christ died on the cross and none of His bones were broken was it a lucky guess or was God controlling men's wills (or option C but please make it good and viable)?

ROFL... Ignoring, of course, the obvious logical contradiction, I suppose.

Yep, see, I told you. And it goes around.... I think our doctor discussion will clear some of this up.

It's only too close for comfort to those who respond to the FUD (that's "fear, uncertainty, and doubt") of those who oppose OVT. Of course, we already know that which is not of faith is sin, so....

Muz

No, it isn't fear of OV that keeps me from the tenents. This redress of yours comes very close to affirming the two points btw. At least it affirms to some degree, God's determining involvement in men's lives to bring about His will. There are deterministic OVer's and there are free-will/arminian type of OVer's I've noticed, which is interesting. I'd peg you for the determinist which is important for our discussion. It is very hard to pin down OV doctrine with such an eclectic group of gatherers.

themuzicman

Back that up please, it is jumping way ahead of the question game like trying to watch the half-time show at first quarter. "How would God know how many times Peter would actually deny?" (The rooster (or rooter :) ) isn't even an issue to me in this particular discussion.

God knew that Peter would go on denying Christ for as long as he was asked about it. God also knew that Peter's accent and actions would garner such questions. The key was for a rooster to crow at three.

After this, they all but two died a martyr's death and one of those was persectuted into island exile. I'd call that courage.

Courage gained after they saw Christ resurrected.

You can make a case for conversion having something to do with this, but nonchristian soldiers lay their lives on the line all the time for their fellow man so I don't have the same mind here on this subject. It wasn't a 'no-brainer' statement but a prophecy fulfilled.

Courage is a character trait. At the time of Jesus' betrayal, they didn't have it. That was easy enough to see.

Not for me. EDF gets no watering from my perspective. I've stated many times that 1) God knows our actions and 2) He knows His own actions 3) He knows how they interact. He, Himself is an acting component to all. In fact all cannot progress without His complete interaction. Here is a question: Is it wicked for a doctor to give the pox virus to a patient? (I'm not sure you'll catch the parallel but it is an important question for our discussion-would the doctor be evil?).

With the patient's consent, it is not.

No, I believe this. The doctor question will take us down the discussion route nicely.

My bad, I meant to say that you did believe it, but didn't reword the sentence completely.

Of course there is. Either God is impotent and at the mercies of unknown factors and can guarrantee us nothing, or He invasively controls certain situations over-ruling man's choices to accomplish His purposes.

So, unless God fixes the game beforehand, He is utterly incapable of achieving His ends? You make God out to be weaker than men, something that is clearly a straw man.

As I've been given any other option from the OV it is either logically incoherent or is actually an attempt to obfuscate one of the above.

Or maybe it's a view of God who is actually all-powerful.

So I might have mistated the OV position but I have yet to see anyone offer a cogent argument that doesn't lead to these two options. I want to be careful here because it is similar to God being the author of sin in your evaluation of Calvinism. You don't have to necessarily believe the two choices above but it is merely a problem of the logic of it from an outsider looking in.

I think the fact that most outsiders can't seem to factor in God's omnipotence in acting as a part of this world, rather than acting initially and then just going along for the ride clouds the obviousness of OVT.

No, I said 'implication.' Implied means just that and it was up to you at that point to show how one looking in isn't perceiving correctly. I purposefully stated it that way so you could walk me through it instead of obfuscating and telling me I'm wrong. It is an 'implied' understanding. Walk me through it. How can God know Judas will betray AND for 30 pieces of silver?

Where is 30 pieces of silver prophesied specifically?

As for Judas, I don't think it's necessary until after the 12 are chosen to know who the betrayer is.

How can God name Josiah 300+ years before he is born?

How as John the Baptist named? (Apply same principle)

How can God know which nations will attack which people and which ensuing nations will conquer those and so forth if He does not know the future intentions of man?

How about: the nation in question was already planning on conquering, and God, though His ability to introduce thoughts or suggestions, pointed that army in a particular place, caused certain fortuitous events to move that army along at His pace, and they arrive at Israel's doorstep just on time.

No, giving suggestions isn't overriding free will. The individual still has to choose, but the thought (or thoughts, God certainly has time to work this out, and people do the same thing all the time) focuses what the individual was already thinking in a particular direction.

It's not as though Babylon or Assyria just decided one day to march across the plain and attack Israel. The attack on Israel was just a small part of a bigger happening. God just used those happenings to fulfill His prophecies.

I can only see two ways. Your ballparking figures with guestimation doesn't work in these instances.

Sure it does. If you think critically for a moment about how it is possible, it works just fine.

They are too precise. Denying exactly 3 times is a very precise and pretty darn accurate guess. So again, either God knows, or He makes it happen.

He makes the rooster crow at the right time. How hard can that be?

You seem to alternate between these two ideas depending on the circumstance of your interpretation.

Are you saying that God HAS to work the EXACT SAME WAY every time HE does something? All we need is a possible alternative to God fixing the game beforehand to explain it.

I'm trying to reason this out, but it is very difficult to not come to either of these two conclusions and OV seems to have no coherence for me to objectively assert one or the other. When Christ died on the cross and none of His bones were broken was it a lucky guess or was God controlling men's wills (or option C but please make it good and viable)?

Roman crucifixion didn't break bones until the guards got sick of waiting for the condemned to die. The nails are guided by God to prevent breakage, and Jesus dies before the Centurian gets to him. The test for death in those days is to pierce the heart, which the Centurian does.

God knows how He will accomplish it.

No, it isn't fear of OV that keeps me from the tenents. This redress of yours comes very close to affirming the two points btw. At least it affirms to some degree, God's determining involvement in men's lives to bring about His will.

Don't equivoate. Determinism means that something external to the will of the individual is forcing them to act in a predetermined way.

There are deterministic OVer's

That's a contradiction in terms.

and there are free-will/arminian type of OVer's I've noticed, which is interesting. I'd peg you for the determinist which is important for our discussion. It is very hard to pin down OV doctrine with such an eclectic group of gatherers.

I could say the same for Calvinists or even Arminians.

Muz

Lon

God knew that Peter would go on denying Christ for as long as he was asked about it. God also knew that Peter's accent and actions would garner such questions. The key was for a rooster to crow at three.
Yeah, but it is interesting that nobody else came and accused him after that. It seems too contrived to simply be a good guess with a little encouragement to a rooster from God. I do appreciate OV trying to fit their interpretation accurately with the situation for coherence, but again, it is a little too forced "See, that puzzle piece DOES fit (after several hammer whacks later)." (sorry this is such a long post, I'll try to trim next time :( )

Courage gained after they saw Christ resurrected.
Courage is a character trait. At the time of Jesus' betrayal, they didn't have it. That was easy enough to see.

They spoke boldly that they would all be there to the end and die with Him. It seems to me one would have had the courage to follow through but for the prophecy.

With the patient's consent, it is not.
Doctors use the chickenpox virus to build up immunity against smallpox. Smallpox only exists now in laboratories as it has been wiped out thanks to the altered chickenpox virus. In some cases the virus is life-threatening and dangerous. The chickenpox virus is a necessary evil. It is a disease. It is in administering that which is evil that we are saved from the smallpox virus.

When we talk about God allowing (ordaining) evil, it is important to look at the context. In a parallel, it would be henious to say the doctor is the author of inducing evil into a patient for it is a simplistic lie. The doctor is trying to save his patient, not wickedly evil trying to destroy. God ordaining sin is much the same here. OVers should never say God is the author of sin by the same reasoning they should not call a doctor a murderer when he is trying to save lives by introducing a disease. It is against the greater effects of sin (death for all mankind) that the great Physician does all that He does.

My bad, I meant to say that you did believe it, but didn't reword the sentence completely.

So, unless God fixes the game beforehand, He is utterly incapable of achieving His ends? You make God out to be weaker than men, something that is clearly a straw man.

Two things here jumped out readily. First, no not game. It is life and so game isn't a very good substitute for the analogous because it doesn't treat the seriousness of what we are talking about. Because our lives are on the line, I liken it more to surgery and so yes, God is more than the dedicated doctor, He is surgically removing our disease with precision. This doesn't make Him weak, but strong and capable in consideration. Doctor's X-ray and plan before going in. They coordinate and make sure the patient has every possible factor going in his favor entering the operation.
The second thing is that it isn't an either or scenario within traditional theology. It is both. God knows all that is going to happen and He knows how His own actions will effect the process. Boring isn't a consideration to me in choosing a doctor. If he is bored to tears because he is that good, he is far and above my desired choice rather than the doctor who is seeing something new and exciting when operating on my heart. In our debate with one another the topic of God's relational qualities is often a major focus for contention. I do hold that God is relational to us, but my confidence in His transcendant attributes are as important as the qualifications of a surgeon. Of course I want him friendly, congenial, reassuring, gregarious and all, but I really want him to be a good doctor.
Or maybe it's a view of God who is actually all-powerful.
Again, with the doctor, it is kewl if the doctor can think on his feet and all, but the one that has done it all and it is all routine is prefered. Solomon says there is nothing knew under the sun. It is this kind of God I believe is more in line with my understanding of scripture and it is also why His transcendant qualities are so important to me and my theology.
I think the fact that most outsiders can't seem to factor in God's omnipotence in acting as a part of this world, rather than acting initially and then just going along for the ride clouds the obviousness of OVT.
I think the doctor analogy with premise sheds some light here as well.

Where is 30 pieces of silver prophesied specifically?

I linked your quote to a kewl site (expensive, but kewl).

Jeremiah 19 and Zechariah 11
As for Judas, I don't think it's necessary until after the 12 are chosen to know who the betrayer is.

Necessary and actual are different. Hypothetical is fine but it is our foundational parameters that need to be addressed. There is a lot of hypothesizing here on these considerations and our foundational acceptance is the premise for either of us at this subject point.

How as John the Baptist named? (Apply same principle)
I understand and appreciate your consistency here, with John we are told but not with Josiah. Furthermore, God has to know or control fertility, chromosomes (I know a man who has nothing but daughters, 9 of them!) kings, etc. over a 300 year timeline. It could be know and control, which kind of puts you in the 'part-time Calvinist' category I think, and then our disagreement is more of how much of each. For me it is both 100%. It seems the percentages and frequency is our disagreement.

How about: the nation in question was already planning on conquering, and God, though His ability to introduce thoughts or suggestions, pointed that army in a particular place, caused certain fortuitous events to move that army along at His pace, and they arrive at Israel's doorstep just on time.
:)
No, giving suggestions isn't overriding free will. The individual still has to choose, but the thought (or thoughts, God certainly has time to work this out, and people do the same thing all the time) focuses what the individual was already thinking in a particular direction.
It is still coercing the will. I think you are saying He directs wills here, just being careful about what that means. I don't have a problem with this, but I think some of your OV circle might. How do you see your distinction here in comparison to other OVers?
It's not as though Babylon or Assyria just decided one day to march across the plain and attack Israel. The attack on Israel was just a small part of a bigger happening. God just used those happenings to fulfill His prophecies.

Sure it does. If you think critically for a moment about how it is possible, it works just fine.
Well, I'm trying to jump through that with you, but it doesn't add up. I'd guess preconception and/or a correct theological perspective. I'm open to it being misconception but you'd need a much stronger argument because of course omniscience/foreknowledge (EDF) is traditionally long standing and I do see support for it in scripture. It is also important that I've come to this stance naturally in my scripture studies so a traditional coincidence is strongly ratified.

He makes the rooster crow at the right time. How hard can that be?

Not the crowing, the denial. I mean we are talking about a free will decision to either confirm or deny (from an OV perspective) exactly 3 times. A rooster doesn't even have to crow. I think it 'builds' the case for foreknowing an event, but it isn't necessary for this discussion and it obfuscates what I'm asking about Peter.

Are you saying that God HAS to work the EXACT SAME WAY every time HE does something? All we need is a possible alternative to God fixing the game beforehand to explain it.
This is about the interpretation (hermenuetic), not God's action.

Roman crucifixion didn't break bones until the guards got sick of waiting for the condemned to die. The nails are guided by God to prevent breakage, and Jesus dies before the Centurian gets to him. The test for death in those days is to pierce the heart, which the Centurian does.
Yeah, but the prophecy is made even before the Romans occupied Israel.
God knows how He will accomplish it.

This we agree on.
Don't equivoate. Determinism means that something external to the will of the individual is forcing them to act in a predetermined way.
Coercing is considered deterministic. I believe God is deterministic, it isn't a bad accusation at all, it is how we handle that truth that is important for our theological stance. God is good even if we are wrong, but I don't think determinism is impugning. God determines to save us (I'm just trying to keep you from throwing out the whole baby, determinism isn't a negative word).

That's a contradiction in terms.
:)

I could say the same for Calvinists or even Arminians.

Muz

Ya know, after all the mental gymnastics, I have no idea why you'd rather reject EDF.

It amazes me frankly, there are incredible leaps of faith over logical pitfalls here.

I do appreciate OV's desire to account for scriptures here, but I believe there is too much history and early church father understanding to discount it in favor of an OV interpretation. This conversation does however pull us together for a meaningful conversation even on our disagreements and for that a huge 'thank you.'

I agree with your assessment of Calvinism and Arminian eclecticism but the difference here I think would be that the doctrinal statements of each help wade through it and keep those groups pretty tight except for the extreme of each. It will take some strong OV scholars to help others wade through the varience of that which is OV. I'd expect in the future OV will separate on some issues and there will no longer be one group because you guys are just too eclectic at this point. I predict it will happen after the OV/Traditional conversations die down and you are left talking amongst yourselves about your differences.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It will take some strong OV scholars to help others wade through the varience of that which is OV. I'd expect in the future OV will separate on some issues and there will no longer be one group because you guys are just too eclectic at this point. I predict it will happen after the OV/Traditional conversations die down and you are left talking amongst yourselves about your differences.

Interesting conversation, Lon, and good observations.

If we are making predictions, I will state I doubt the OV folk will find the time or be inclined to turn to scholarship or find unity, due to dispensational divisions already apparent in their midst. This serious distraction will prove to be an internal albatross, that will preclude theological progress into spiritual maturity of any kind, and their eventual undoing.

Nang

themuzicman

Yeah, but it is interesting that nobody else came and accused him after that. It seems too contrived to simply be a good guess with a little encouragement to a rooster from God. I do appreciate OV trying to fit their interpretation accurately with the situation for coherence, but again, it is a little too forced "See, that puzzle piece DOES fit (after several hammer whacks later)." (sorry this is such a long post, I'll try to trim next time :( )

If you read the text, the rooster crowed "immediately" after the 3rd denial, and Peter went out a wept bitterly. Whether he denies Christ AFTER the rooster crows is irrelevant.

They spoke boldly that they would all be there to the end and die with Him. It seems to me one would have had the courage to follow through but for the prophecy.

As the saying goes, talk is cheap. (Especially in a male environment.)

Doctors use the chickenpox virus to build up immunity against smallpox. Smallpox only exists now in laboratories as it has been wiped out thanks to the altered chickenpox virus. In some cases the virus is life-threatening and dangerous. The chickenpox virus is a necessary evil. It is a disease. It is in administering that which is evil that we are saved from the smallpox virus.

You ignored what I said.

When we talk about God allowing (ordaining) evil, it is important to look at the context. In a parallel, it would be henious to say the doctor is the author of inducing evil into a patient for it is a simplistic lie. The doctor is trying to save his patient, not wickedly evil trying to destroy.

Would a doctor who injected all his patients knowing he would cause all of them to become fatally sick, and then, although having the cure for all of them, only saving 1/3 of them, be considered evil?

God ordaining sin is much the same here. OVers should never say God is the author of sin by the same reasoning they should not call a doctor a murderer when he is trying to save lives by introducing a disease. It is against the greater effects of sin (death for all mankind) that the great Physician does all that He does.

The doctor didn't cause small pox, so he's doing the best he can with a bad situation handed to him. According to Calvinism, God causes small pox and death for the whole world, so He can save a few (in spite of being able to save them all), and demand that those few love Him for saving them from what he causes in the first place.

So, you're ignoring a very important component of the Calvinist view.

Two things here jumped out readily. First, no not game. It is life and so game isn't a very good substitute for the analogous because it doesn't treat the seriousness of what we are talking about.

I didn't refer to a game. I was referring to God having to cause everything beforehand, so that the outcome works out His way, as though He couldn't do it any other way.

Because our lives are on the line, I liken it more to surgery and so yes, God is more than the dedicated doctor, He is surgically removing our disease with precision. This doesn't make Him weak, but strong and capable in consideration. Doctor's X-ray and plan before going in. They coordinate and make sure the patient has every possible factor going in his favor entering the operation.
The second thing is that it isn't an either or scenario within traditional theology. It is both. God knows all that is going to happen and He knows how His own actions will effect the process. Boring isn't a consideration to me in choosing a doctor. If he is bored to tears because he is that good, he is far and above my desired choice rather than the doctor who is seeing something new and exciting when operating on my heart. In our debate with one another the topic of God's relational qualities is often a major focus for contention. I do hold that God is relational to us, but my confidence in His transcendant attributes are as important as the qualifications of a surgeon. Of course I want him friendly, congenial, reassuring, gregarious and all, but I really want him to be a good doctor.

The problem with your doctors is that He is the cause of your disease.

Worse yet, He demands that you love Him, after He cures you of what He inflicted you with!

Again, with the doctor, it is kewl if the doctor can think on his feet and all, but the one that has done it all and it is all routine is prefered. Solomon says there is nothing knew under the sun. It is this kind of God I believe is more in line with my understanding of scripture and it is also why His transcendant qualities are so important to me and my theology.

I disagree. I just can't see God claiming to be loving or just given what you claim about Him.

I think the doctor analogy with premise sheds some light here as well.

Plenty, when we include all the necessary elements. For some reason, you want to ignore the cause of the small pox.

Zech 11:9 Then I said, "I will not pasture you. What is to die, R317 let F114 it die, and what is to be annihilated, let F115 it be annihilated; and let F116 those who are left eat one another's flesh." 10 I took my staff Favor R318 F117 and cut it in pieces, to break R319 F118 my covenant which I had made with all the peoples. 11 So it was broken F119 on that day, and thus F120 the afflicted R320 of the flock who were watching me realized that it was the word of the LORD. 12 I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; R321 but if not, never F121 mind!" So they weighed out thirty R322 shekels of silver as my wages. 13 Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, R323 that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD.​

This doesn't exactly sound like Judas.

Necessary and actual are different. Hypothetical is fine but it is our foundational parameters that need to be addressed. There is a lot of hypothesizing here on these considerations and our foundational acceptance is the premise for either of us at this subject point.

The point of all this is that these are not required to happen as you say they must. There simply must be other possibilities, which I have been pointing out. I'm not saying that these are necessarily 100% accurate, but only to show that what YOU claim about what is necessary for these things to come about isn't so. There are other alternatives.

I understand and appreciate your consistency here, with John we are told but not with Josiah. Furthermore, God has to know or control fertility, chromosomes (I know a man who has nothing but daughters, 9 of them!) kings, etc. over a 300 year timeline. It could be know and control, which kind of puts you in the 'part-time Calvinist' category I think, and then our disagreement is more of how much of each. For me it is both 100%. It seems the percentages and frequency is our disagreement.

Why would there have to be chromosomal control?

It is still coercing the will.

Again with the word games. God can influence without coercion.

I think you are saying He directs wills here, just being careful about what that means.

That's not what I've said. I said that God gives some focus to a direction a king was already leading through suggestions.

I don't have a problem with this, but I think some of your OV circle might. How do you see your distinction here in comparison to other OVers?

I don't.

Well, I'm trying to jump through that with you, but it doesn't add up. I'd guess preconception and/or a correct theological perspective. I'm open to it being misconception but you'd need a much stronger argument because of course omniscience/foreknowledge (EDF) is traditionally long standing and I do see support for it in scripture. It is also important that I've come to this stance naturally in my scripture studies so a traditional coincidence is strongly ratified.

The problem is that you get your "support for it in Scripture" from the so-called "long standing tradition." When you dump those presuppositions, EDF disappears.

Not the crowing, the denial. I mean we are talking about a free will decision to either confirm or deny (from an OV perspective) exactly 3 times. A rooster doesn't even have to crow.

But the Rooster is the ending event. What happens after that isn't part of the prophecy. Go read your bible where it says "immediately after..."

This is about the interpretation (hermenuetic), not God's action.

I think one thing you have to consider is that you're demanding that things be a certain way because they must, and I'm showing how it could be otherwise, and that asserting what you assert is imposing on the text.

Yeah, but the prophecy is made even before the Romans occupied Israel.

So what? Part of the proper time for Christ to come would include a proper means of execution.

Question: If Jesus had been beaten, whipped, flogged, and then hung by a rope around the neck, assuming He said all He did on the cross, would that have fulfilled Scripture?

Coercing is considered deterministic. I believe God is deterministic, it isn't a bad accusation at all, it is how we handle that truth that is important for our theological stance. God is good even if we are wrong, but I don't think determinism is impugning. God determines to save us (I'm just trying to keep you from throwing out the whole baby, determinism isn't a negative word).

Well, you're playing word games with "coercing." If you mean that God cannot have influence in a persons life apart from controlling their will, then I would disagree.

Ya know, after all the mental gymnastics, I have no idea why you'd rather reject EDF.

Because God is both loving and just. The logical consequences of EDF don't allow God to be either, given the world He created.

It amazes me frankly, there are incredible leaps of faith over logical pitfalls here.

I'm not the one playing word games and blinding myself to parts of my own theology.

I do appreciate OV's desire to account for scriptures here, but I believe there is too much history and early church father understanding to discount it in favor of an OV interpretation. This conversation does however pull us together for a meaningful conversation even on our disagreements and for that a huge 'thank you.'

What if the pre-Augustine ECFs were free will and not determinists?

I agree with your assessment of Calvinism and Arminian eclecticism but the difference here I think would be that the doctrinal statements of each help wade through it and keep those groups pretty tight except for the extreme of each. It will take some strong OV scholars to help others wade through the varience of that which is OV. I'd expect in the future OV will separate on some issues and there will no longer be one group because you guys are just too eclectic at this point. I predict it will happen after the OV/Traditional conversations die down and you are left talking amongst yourselves about your differences.

The coherant expression of OVT is not yet 20 years old, although the seeds have remained throughout church history. Certainly one wouldn't expect a Belgic Confession or Heidleburg confession in that short of a time, would you?

(Although, if you read carefully, you see an objection to an OVT type theology in the Heidleburg confession....)

Muz

Lon

Would a doctor who injected all his patients knowing he would cause all of them to become fatally sick, and then, although having the cure for all of them, only saving 1/3 of them, be considered evil?
I love your tenacity here but it won't work. Adam injected the race. Satan injected the race. Let me ask this simple question: Is God omnipresent?
Another is: Can you assert with the OV theists that God knows all that is 'presently knowable' and that He knows the thoughts and intentions of men in real-time?

Turn it around. Always turn it around before accusing another doctrinal position.

The doctor didn't cause small pox, so he's doing the best he can with a bad situation handed to him. According to Calvinism, God causes small pox and death for the whole world, so He can save a few (in spite of being able to save them all), and demand that those few love Him for saving them from what he causes in the first place.
Who said? Faulty thinking my friend and/or somebody lied to you. God does not cause sin in a Calvinist worldview (at least not most of us).

So, you're ignoring a very important component of the Calvinist view.
Ordained is not authoring it. I had kids knowing they would be infected with sin's curse. Am I an unloving reprobate for having kids? Doesn't my hope and purposeful intention to alter that course in their lives count or are you going to just jump to the logical conclusion I made kids knowing they'd have a sin nature and now I'm responsible for it? If (God FORBID) one of my kids doesn't turn to Jesus, am I responsible for creating sin in them? Let's say I knew ahead of time the second child would disobey, but the third child would walk very close to the heart of His God? Don't shoot this all to pieces, I'm just trying to find out what you think of me as the parent.

I didn't refer to a game. I was referring to God having to cause everything beforehand, so that the outcome works out His way, as though He couldn't do it any other way.
Okay, I'll not argue that point. I just want the caricatures toward a Calvinist stance to be exposed in the proper light.
The problem with your doctors is that He is the cause of your disease.

Ordaining and authoring sin are not the same.

Worse yet, He demands that you love Him, after He cures you of what He inflicted you with!
Presuppositional based on the first. How many kids should I have knowing ahead of time that only one in every four will live? (think of implications with this question, what you'd do, what possible good or bad could come from either scenario, etc.)

I disagree. I just can't see God claiming to be loving or just given what you claim about Him.
That is probably why OV exists in the first place. It isn't that there are not answers, but that you cannot see them. God is Love (1John, 5-I believe).
God isn't less loving because there is evil in the world. If anything we see Him doing all He can to save us and love Him more for it. Sending His Son is a very incredible measure of love. Whatever we attribute to God, we have to recognize that God took extreme measures to dig us out of it, no matter what system of theology we are holding onto.

Plenty, when we include all the necessary elements. For some reason, you want to ignore the cause of the small pox.
Ordained, not authored.

Zech 11:9 Then I said, "I will not pasture you. What is to die, R317 let F114 it die, and what is to be annihilated, let F115 it be annihilated; and let F116 those who are left eat one another's flesh." 10 I took my staff Favor R318 F117 and cut it in pieces, to break R319 F118 my covenant which I had made with all the peoples. 11 So it was broken F119 on that day, and thus F120 the afflicted R320 of the flock who were watching me realized that it was the word of the LORD. 12 I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; R321 but if not, never F121 mind!" So they weighed out thirty R322 shekels of silver as my wages. 13 Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, R323 that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD.​

This doesn't exactly sound like Judas.

No? How many pieces of silver? The potter field? Judas' rejection and God's comments? The price for the Lord of Glory? None of it?

The point of all this is that these are not required to happen as you say they must. There simply must be other possibilities, which I have been pointing out. I'm not saying that these are necessarily 100% accurate, but only to show that what YOU claim about what is necessary for these things to come about isn't so. There are other alternatives.
Why? Why must there be other possibilities? Prophecy to me must happen as God calls it. I know of no prophecy God was ever mistaken about. I have read OV objections but they do not convince me. Jonah? Ez. gives the reason why it wasn't unconditional, but conditional (if you repent, this judgement will not pass).
Tyre? The island was never mentioned, the rest fell and so did the Island eventually and according to scripture. I know of no unconditional prophecy not fulfilled.
Why would there have to be chromosomal control?
Infertility (1 in 6 among males), assurance of a male child, etc.

Again with the word games. God can influence without coercion.
That's not what I've said. I said that God gives some focus to a direction a king was already leading through suggestions.
It isn't a word game. If I influence your decision I've helped determine your decision. If we vote, I'm influencing the decision (determinism). Perhaps you are seeing that word (determinism) as 'total control.' We probably have some definition qualifiers here that need worked out. It isn't a word game.

The problem is that you get your "support for it in Scripture" from the so-called "long standing tradition." When you dump those presuppositions, EDF disappears.
You are asking me to dump what I naturally see in my scripture reading and just happen to agree with the traditional stance. Granted, after time I've allowed the distinctions to relax but I was very careful in building my theology over time.
I was in a Liberal Methodist church so I became very wary of systematic theologies. It has taken many years to come to the place I am today and I'm becoming more of a Calvinist 'as a result' of my studies. I've never been trained as a Calvinist until very recently by a much appreciated man of God. I've had a lot of Armenian/dispensational influences. It is scripture that is bringing me to a covenantal/calvin stance.

But the Rooster is the ending event. What happens after that isn't part of the prophecy. Go read your bible where it says "immediately after..."

Yes, just read it in my last post for this conversation. It still isn't a natural flow from the text for me and still doesn't touch what I view as Jesus' foreknowledge of Peter's actions. In fact, I see it as the total opposite of what I'd expect. I mean He was bold to even be there in the first place. His love for Christ was incredibly daring at that point.

I think one thing you have to consider is that you're demanding that things be a certain way because they must, and I'm showing how it could be otherwise, and that asserting what you assert is imposing on the text.
We are both assuming this of one another and I believe you 'are' truly convinced this is true because of the strength in which you disagree and I hold the same view. I think it is Jesus' grace and mercy that could ever shift one of us because one or both of us are clearly wrong.

So what? Part of the proper time for Christ to come would include a proper means of execution.

Question: If Jesus had been beaten, whipped, flogged, and then hung by a rope around the neck, assuming He said all He did on the cross, would that have fulfilled Scripture?
No.
Because God is both loving and just. The logical consequences of EDF don't allow God to be either, given the world He created.
It goes back to the doctor and my 'father' discussion which needs careful reading.

Ordains (allows).

I'm not the one playing word games and blinding myself to parts of my own theology.
I'm not playing word games (not intentionally anyway). I agree I need to speak these plainly to you for understanding, but you can continue to help me with either statements like this or other thoughtful questions. I do desire for our discussion to at least understand one another. If we are brothers, we can disagree as Arminianist do. We do need to always discern whether our differences are salvific or whether we can agree to disagree in God's grace as brothers.

What if the pre-Augustine ECFs were free will and not determinists?
It goes back to the classic arminian/calvinist debate then doesn't it? I'm not sure if I'm following your propositon here. AMR would be great on this question. Before it was all debate in house. There were Calvinistic and Arminian priests who had classic discussions and hard stances with one another. I'd love that history lesson.
The coherant expression of OVT is not yet 20 years old, although the seeds have remained throughout church history. Certainly one wouldn't expect a Belgic Confession or Heidleburg confession in that short of a time, would you?

(Although, if you read carefully, you see an objection to an OVT type theology in the Heidleburg confession....)

Muz

Now you have perked my curios ears :) "Heidleburg you say...."

(Sorry again, I really did cut about half out too :( )

lee_merrill

It most absolutely could. Given the present state of their hearts, it wouldn't even require God's knowledge to know that.
This you know, exactly, how?

Romans 5:20 Now the law came in so that the transgression might increase, but where sin increased, grace multiplied all the more...

This does NOT say that God causes sin. As we saw in Romans 2, knowledge of the law is required for sin to be sin. Thus, with law, all know right from wrong, and we choose to sin even more as a result of knowing the law...
And how are we to read "the law came in so that transgression might increase"? For I know of your conclusions.

... as you note: "Assyria was punished for the sins they committed while they we're doing the overall will of God, which was to conquer Israel."

I'm surprised that you cannot distinguish the two, but want to make God the cause of evil.
How then are we to read "he who wields the axe"? And my view is that God causes sin without being the source of evil, as in the life of Joseph, for he brings about a good result, that is in fact his purpose--as in the cross.

"The cup which the Father has given me, shall I not drink it?"

Peter's choice was already made.
I think I see the procedure here. So then what decisions may we say are free, and how can we tell when a decision cannot be revoked?

P.S. I still need to know if God seeks to save all men...

Last edited:

themuzicman

I love your tenacity here but it won't work. Adam injected the race. Satan injected the race.

You really need to make up your mind. If God is the determinist of creation, then God purposed all of mankind to be injected. It was His full intention and will that this be done.

This is what I mean when I say that you blind yourself to other aspects of your theology when you discuss these things. Do you honestly forget that you believe that God is the cause of all things that happen?

Thus, Adam was not the cause of injecting the race. Neither was Satan. God was.

Now, if you're an Open View Theist, then you can say that Adam and/or Satan was the cause of mankind's sinful state, since God isn't the cause, because His will was for righteousness, and did all that He could to bring that about, but also gave Adam and Eve space for them to choose to accept or reject Him.

Let me ask this simple question: Is God omnipresent?

Of course.

Another is: Can you assert with the OV theists that God knows all that is 'presently knowable' and that He knows the thoughts and intentions of men in real-time?

Yes.

Turn it around. Always turn it around before accusing another doctrinal position.

I don't have the problem of God being the cause of sin.

Who said? Faulty thinking my friend and/or somebody lied to you. God does not cause sin in a Calvinist worldview (at least not most of us).

But those who don't hold that belief are living in a huge logical inconsistency, which has been repeatedly exposed, here.

Ordained is not authoring it.

There's a problem, here. If it is ordained before anyone else exists, who authored it?

I had kids knowing they would be infected with sin's curse. Am I an unloving reprobate for having kids?

As a Calvinist, you'd have that question to ask, since you don't know if they'd be elect or not.

As an OVT, I don't, since I fully intend to teach my kids to be followers of Christ.

Doesn't my hope and purposeful intention to alter that course in their lives count or are you going to just jump to the logical conclusion I made kids knowing they'd have a sin nature and now I'm responsible for it? If (God FORBID) one of my kids doesn't turn to Jesus, am I responsible for creating sin in them? Let's say I knew ahead of time the second child would disobey, but the third child would walk very close to the heart of His God? Don't shoot this all to pieces, I'm just trying to find out what you think of me as the parent.

Again, as a Calvinist parent, you should ask these questions, along with asking whether they're going to be elect or not.

As OVT, I don't have these concerns, since I know that God desires all to be saved, including my kids, and I have faith that God will save them.

Okay, I'll not argue that point. I just want the caricatures toward a Calvinist stance to be exposed in the proper light.

The problem is the logical inconsistency in the modern Calvinist stance.

Ordaining and authoring sin are not the same.

Who authored sin, then, since it obviously was a reality before God created.

Presuppositional based on the first. How many kids should I have knowing ahead of time that only one in every four will live? (think of implications with this question, what you'd do, what possible good or bad could come from either scenario, etc.)

How many kids should you have, knowing that you're going to condemn 2/3s of them to eternal torment? (I should think zero.)

That is probably why OV exists in the first place. It isn't that there are not answers, but that you cannot see them. God is Love (1John, 5-I believe).

But your theology doesn't reflect that.

God isn't less loving because there is evil in the world.

But creating 2/3s of mankind just to send them to eternal torment? That's "love"?

If anything we see Him doing all He can to save us and love Him more for it.

Are you sure you're Calvinist? have you heard of limited atonement or unconditional election or irresistible grace?

God isn't doing anything for the unelect in Calvinism. Nothing. Zero. Nada. They're already going to hell, no chance of getting saved. They were headed to hell before God ever created.

Sending His Son is a very incredible measure of love. Whatever we attribute to God, we have to recognize that God took extreme measures to dig us out of it, no matter what system of theology we are holding onto.

And even for the elect: God "ordains" us to sin and condemnation, and then God comes and dies to "save" us from what He inflicted upon us in the first place. That doesn't sound like "love".

Ordained, not authored.

Again, you have yet to explain who "authored" what God "ordained" before He "ordained" it.

No? How many pieces of silver? The potter field? Judas' rejection and God's comments? The price for the Lord of Glory? None of it?

If you study how the NT writers use "fulfilled" with respect to OT, they usually mean "It happened like what happened in this verse." If you look at Romans 9, Paul uses a verse from Hosea where God is decreeing a divorce against Israel that happens during the exile. The Romans 9 reference isn't a double fulfillment, but the use of a pattern of "this is happening again."

Same thing with Zech 11.

Why? Why must there be other possibilities? Prophecy to me must happen as God calls it. I know of no prophecy God was ever mistaken about. I have read OV objections but they do not convince me. Jonah? Ez. gives the reason why it wasn't unconditional, but conditional (if you repent, this judgement will not pass).

And OVT says that God will bring about His prophecies, that they do not fail. They just say that God brings them about in another manner.

Tyre? The island was never mentioned, the rest fell and so did the Island eventually and according to scripture. I know of no unconditional prophecy not fulfilled.

Me neither.

Infertility (1 in 6 among males), assurance of a male child, etc.

And which of these is dependent upon the free will of man? Which is God unable to bring about without violating free will?

It isn't a word game. If I influence your decision I've helped determine your decision.

KEY WORD: HELPED. You didn't DETERMINE my decision. I did. Again, more word games.

If we vote, I'm influencing the decision (determinism).

Again, more word games. Influence isn't determinism. Determinism says that everything has been determined beforehand. There is no influence in determinism.

Perhaps you are seeing that word (determinism) as 'total control.' We probably have some definition qualifiers here that need worked out. It isn't a word game.

You're trying to redefine "determinism.' that's word games.

You are asking me to dump what I naturally see in my scripture reading and just happen to agree with the traditional stance.

I'm asking you to think critically about the traditional stance. Don't assume determinism and EDF.

Granted, after time I've allowed the distinctions to relax but I was very careful in building my theology over time.

Oddly enough, you've aligned yourself perfectly with the traditional stance. Do you suppose tradition had more to do with your theology building than you originally thought?

I was in a Liberal Methodist church so I became very wary of systematic theologies. It has taken many years to come to the place I am today and I'm becoming more of a Calvinist 'as a result' of my studies. I've never been trained as a Calvinist until very recently by a much appreciated man of God. I've had a lot of Armenian/dispensational influences. It is scripture that is bringing me to a covenantal/calvin stance.

Then let's start a thread on the exegetical foundation of Calvinism. As I've studied it, I've found several problems there.

Yes, just read it in my last post for this conversation. It still isn't a natural flow from the text for me and still doesn't touch what I view as Jesus' foreknowledge of Peter's actions.

But we're not dealing with your view, nor does the text say ANYTHING about foreknowledge.

In fact, I see it as the total opposite of what I'd expect. I mean He was bold to even be there in the first place. His love for Christ was incredibly daring at that point.

Again, you see this because you presuppose foreknowledge.

Given Peter's character up to this point, I'd call it "bravado", especially given Peter's reaction later on. Again, a natural reading of the text without God's forcing Peter's will reveals this.

We are both assuming this of one another and I believe you 'are' truly convinced this is true because of the strength in which you disagree and I hold the same view. I think it is Jesus' grace and mercy that could ever shift one of us because one or both of us are clearly wrong.

We probably both are. But I would challenge you to the exegetical foundations.

Why not?

It goes back to the doctor and my 'father' discussion which needs careful reading.

Ordains (allows).

Except that this isn't what the Calvinist really means.

The doctor example fails to take into account who causes the small pox.

The father example has the same issues.

I'm not playing word games (not intentionally anyway). I agree I need to speak these plainly to you for understanding, but you can continue to help me with either statements like this or other thoughtful questions. I do desire for our discussion to at least understand one another. If we are brothers, we can disagree as Arminianist do. We do need to always discern whether our differences are salvific or whether we can agree to disagree in God's grace as brothers.

I think you need to figure out what "determinism" means. You need to grasp what "Exhaustive, Definite Foreknowledge" means. You need to grasp what "free will" means. You need to come to a better understanding of how the pieces of Calvinism fit together. Calvinist first talk about God's sovereignty over every event of creation and that God is the cause of all things, and then turn around and say that God only "ordains" sin, but that man sins because his nature determines his desires which determine their decisions, but then say that man is still free to choose that which was determined by his nature... it's a mess.

It goes back to the classic arminian/calvinist debate then doesn't it? I'm not sure if I'm following your propositon here. AMR would be great on this question. Before it was all debate in house. There were Calvinistic and Arminian priests who had classic discussions and hard stances with one another. I'd love that history lesson.

See, I'm not Arminian, either. I'm OVT.

Now you have perked my curios ears :) "Heidleburg you say...."

Question 4. What doth the law of God require of us?
Answer. Christ teaches us that briefly, Matt. 22:37-40, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. This is the first and the great commandment; and the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Question 5. Canst thou keep all these things perfectly?
Answer. In no wise; [c] for I am prone by nature to hate God and my neighbor. [d]

Question 6. Did God then create man so wicked and perverse?
Answer. By no means; but God created man good, [a] and after his own image, in true righteousness and holiness, that he might rightly know God his Creator, heartily love him and live with him in eternal happiness to glorify and praise him. [c]

Question 7. Whence then proceeds this depravity of human nature?
Answer. From the fall and disobedience of our first parents, Adam and Eve, [d] in Paradise; hence our nature is become so corrupt, that we are all conceived and born in sin. [e]

Question 8. Are we then so corrupt that we are wholly incapable of doing any good, and inclined to all wickedness?
Answer. Indeed we are; [f] except that we are regenerated by the Spirit of God. [g]

Question 9. Doth not God then do injustice to man, by requiring from him in his low, that which he cannot perform?
Answer. Not at all; [a] for God made man capable of performing it; but man, by the instigation [c] of the devil, and his own willful disobedience, [d] deprived himself and all his posterity of those divine gifts.

Notice that 5 and 9 are in obvious contradiction.

Muz

Newman

If God had decided to determine how His creation would play out until the end, then why didn't He just put some sort of "spin" on all things so that those things would wind up doing what He wanted? I tend to believe that God plays an active, engaging role in my life and others, because that is part of a God who loves and cares.

"When we talk about God’s desires we can be both confident about them but also humbled. God does not desire the death of any sinner and loves the whole world. To speak of God’s desires is to recognize the intensely personal nature of God. Only an emotional being can have desires, and if God loves the whole world, then God’s emotions must exceed in duration and permanence the world’s existence. Knowing this should drive us to admiration of God’s greatness and commitment but also humility before such a suffering God, who in spite of the world remains desirous of intimacy of it."
- excerpt from an e-mail of a very smart friend of mine

Philetus

If God had decided to determine how His creation would play out until the end, then why didn't He just put some sort of "spin" on all things so that those things would wind up doing what He wanted?

Seems Calvinists believe God has done exactly that.
I tend to believe that God plays an active, engaging role in my life and others, because that is part of a God who loves and cares.

Me too.

"When we talk about God’s desires we can be both confident about them but also humbled. God does not desire the death of any sinner and loves the whole world. To speak of God’s desires is to recognize the intensely personal nature of God. Only an emotional being can have desires, and if God loves the whole world, then God’s emotions must exceed in duration and permanence the world’s existence. Knowing this should drive us to admiration of God’s greatness and commitment but also humility before such a suffering God, who in spite of the world remains desirous of intimacy of it."
- excerpt from an e-mail of a very smart friend of mine

Smart friend.

Philetus

Status
Not open for further replies.