ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philetus

I understand why some have a hard time grasping the concept that God answers prayer and does things for people who ask.

Hilston: Philetus, you're not getting this for some reason. I believe God answers prayers. I believe God does things for people who ask. It makes sense in my view. I don't see how it makes sense in yours. So please indulge me, and everyone else reading this who would really like to know: How does the Open Theist conception of God make sense of prayer. Can you pray for someone's salvation? No, because that would involve God mucking around with someone's free will. Do you believe God is doing everything He can to save as many people as possible? Yes? If so, then what are you praying for? What are you asking Him to do, and how does the Open View conception of God make sense of it?

There you go, putting words in where they don’t belong. God does not muck around with anything. God is involved not in meticulous control. God’s Holy Spirit influences free will. If everything is predetermined ... what do you pray for Jim?

Quote:

To explain away every detail of God’s involvement in the present by saying God has already determined everything, restricts God to such a small niche in the universe it virtually eliminates God from everyday involvement in one's life.
Hilston: Wrong on both counts, Philetus. The determinist view requires God's involvement precisely because God decreed His own involvement. God is NOT restricted to a small niche of the universe precisely because He holds the entire thing together, down to the subatomic level. God is immanent; God is transcendent. In the Open View, God is neither, when taking that Luciferian theology to its logical conclusion.

We agree, God decreed His own involvement. The question is, ‘What is the nature of that involvement?’ Deterministic meticulous control? I don’t think so. In the Open View God is personally involved. It may sound humble to demand silence before God, but God calls us to be more than silent before Him. He invites us to make or requests know to God (Phil 4:6, 1Jn 5:14-15) and to ask what we will in the name of Jesus (Jn 14:13-14). The relationship is one of participation and cooperation in which we become colaborers with God (1Cor 3:9).

Quote:

Making God as big as one possibly can imagine only reduces Him to both uninvolved and ineffective in the present.
Hilston: It is obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. It's Google time, Philetus. Please go do some research; bone up on the topics at hand, then come back so we can have an intelligent discussion, as opposed to one of desperate ignorance.

No, Jim, with all due respect, you don’t know what I’m talking about. But, once I filtered out all the insults, I recognized that your post has some legitimate questions. I don’t see your view as ‘desperate ignorance’ just as over active intellectual puff and stuff. Exhaustive foreknowledge and meticulous control denies God free involvement with His free creatures. It seems to me that Determinism leaves God little or nothing to do in the present. What’s there to do? Why pray at all? God isn’t going to respond. All prayer in the Determinist view can do is align the individual’s will with what already is. In the Open View there is so much more to pray about because God has determined that God will take an interest in people, not determine the actions of people.

While I’m on Google, you should read John Sanders, The God Who Risks, chapter 8, ‘Applications to the Christian Life’. That should save us both some time. If you are going to argue against OT you should try to understand it.

Quote:

The God of meticulous control is a vain imagination of 'What will be ... aready is.
Hilston: Where did you get that? Bob Hill?
Actually, there is nobody to blame but me for ‘What will be ... already is’. I made it up. I spelled 'already' wrong, but you got it. Your earlier comments about Bob and Clete and all their mindless little disciples is more fitting to Augustine and his troupe.

Quote:

A God who exists in the future (sees the future as existent reality) is limited to what He can do in the present by what He sees in the future.
Hilston: Clueless.

Read the Book, it is full of clues.
Gotta go for now.
Philetus

Philetus

lee_merrill said:
Actually, he made some quite telling points, the lack of refutation would it seems, also indicate that.

Open Theists indeed seem to try and have it both ways, with God omnipotent and also unable in various ways, with God invincible, and yet he can lose and have to change his plan...

Blessings,
Lee

Patience, Lee.
God can have it anyway God wants.
And Peace and Longsuffering,
Philetus

seekinganswers

Philetus,

Why have you not responded to me? My last post states the reason that we are at odds. The story that is told by either the Calvinists or the Open Theists takes to heart the central precepts of Protestantism (liberal protestant understandings of justification and faith). In this way the story of the Creation becomes anthropocentric. And God's actions are defined by his response to these actions of men. They assume that humanity has been able to threaten God's work in the Creation; they assume that human will is a reality that stands distinct from God's will (as if human will had a power of its own). They assume that in Christ God is responding to men.

The story I am telling comes from the beginning. God is moving this Creation from chaos to rest. The story of Genesis 1 is a story that defines the movement of the entire narrative of the scriptures (there is a reason why the early church wrote Revelation on the back of Genesis). Humans are not driving this narrative. In fact, humans have no idea what it is to be human (as can be witnessed by how we as a body of humanity have done the most atrocious things in the name of our humanity; we are corrupt). The image of God in humanity is held in Christ, and this tells us that we do not know God in ourselves, but that we only know ourselves in God. Humanity as we have defined it does not reflect God. But God in Christ teaches us how to truly be human. And Christ as the true human teaches us about God (for he truly is the image of the Creator).

I'm tired of the liberal approaches to the narrative of the scriptures. The scriptures do not teach us about God unless they become our story. As soon as the scriptures are relegated to "history" and "past events" and as soon as the future is defined as "future events" (and future is no longer held in God's will but in the human and divine wills) we use them to justify our sin, and then we do something even worse and say that in our sin we reflect God. The spriptures have been driven by us, in this. We say that it is in our "human" ability to relate that we are a reflection of the divine (even though our relationships are evil). And we grab for the fruit of the tree once again, and we claim our divine status (as images of God) though we have no right to make such a move. And in our "image" of ourselves we commit the same sin of the garden, proclaiming ourselves God (judging what is good and right for ourselves and condemning that which we see as evil) and fashioning for ourselves a God made in our image.

This is not God and it isn't even human(e). It is the same kind of "religion" that is used by so many to control and manipulate the masses for their own will. We become so convinced of what is right, that we use our "right" to commit wrongdoing. And we become so convinced of our own goodness that we fail to see how corrupt we are. It is the "cleverness" of the serpent of the garden that has deceived us once again, and that has turned us inward to our own cleverness and taken us away from God. We have been convinced by the serpent that God really doesn't have our best interest in mind, and that God has really forbade us from something of substance (as if death were really an alternate life). We have been convinced that we really can defy God and continue to live, and in this deception we fail to see that it is only because of God's grace that we continue to live even now (though we will return to the dust). God is life, and no one (not even the unrighteous) has life appart from God.

Both the Open Theists and the Calvinists put the Father and the Son at odds, as they embrace a really twisted rendition of the substutionary theory of the atonement. They present Christ as God's love and they present the Father as God's wrath and judgment, and then they say the Son appeases the wrath of the Father by being put to death by humanity. They try to reconcile the two by making God send God's Son into the world (a so called expression of love) and yet that sending is made out of a requirement that God is held to by sin (as if sin could require anything of God), and as if such a requirement of sin could result in love.

You see, God is one, and what we see in the Son is an image of the Father. And if we know the Father, we most definitely know the Son. The Father is not held in obligation to exact vengance for sin, neither is the Son merely a cheap love that covers up sin (so that the Father can no longer "see" it). This is the deception of the adversary who would make us believe that we in our sin were actually something when we are in fact nothing but an empty shell. Our sin was never a threat to God or to God's Creation. God from the beginning declares us to be his friends (even after our disobedience). God desired for us to be naked before him, but we chose to remain in our shame and to hide from God. Yet God, as a loving Father, waits patiently for us to return to him. And because we are not a threat to God or God's Creation, God is not obligated to respond to us according to our actions, but he responds according to his grace (God's freedom to do as God pleases). And when we return to him, the Father will embrace us, forgetting all that we have done and transforming us into his children once again by the obedience (the faithfulness) of his Son. God is love, and this love is revealed in both the Father and in the Son, as well as in the Spirit. And humans know nothing of this love appart from being drawn into God, through Christ and by the Spirit, and towards the Father in worship and praise.

The questions of the Open Theists and of the Calvinists have caused us to forget our place; we have elevated ourselves onto a pedastool at the center of this story of Creation, when in fact God is at the center as the one driving the events toward their proper purpose in him. And we as actors within this Creation are given freedom to serve God (in the likeness of God's service to the Creation). But we exchanged that freedom to grab hold of the divine status. And through that power-grab, we enslaved ourselves to sin (to a god made in our likeness; a god who would bring us to death). But God allowed us our inheritance (even as children who had completely defamed God's honor by our acts of disobedience; even as children who deserved wrath); and God in this grace sustained our life (even the life of a bunch of unrighteous and muderous people). And God waited for us (an active waiting), as a patient God who not being threatened by our declaration of war on him was willing to overlook our offenses if we would just return to him.

This is the profound message of the gospel that rings out in all Creation with Christ. Yet it is a gospel least heard among those of us who in our search for a relationship with God (like the Son who wants to return to the Father as a slave) have failed to see that God never broke the relationship we were so willing to set aside in the first place. We were never enemies of God. We were enemies in our minds because of our evil behavior. But God in his Son called us friends, and even more has welcomed us once again into his family as his own children.

Peace,
Michael

Philetus

HILSTON,

Hilston: Really? Then what did God show John in the Revelation? A movie? A filmstrip? A flash animation, complete with sound effects and interactive clickable menus? This is the inevitable irrationality that Open Theism leads to. Denial of time. Denial of the future. Denial of space. Denial of logic. Denial of knowledge. Denial of one's Hope. Denial of the God of scripture.
Actually, only in the deterministic view could it have been anything like a DVD movie showing what will be as 'is already'. In the Open View the book of Revelation becomes a practical manual for disciples going through any time of persecution and tribulation. It is God’s finial word to the churches in scripture about God’s intentions and what great suffering and strife result from resisting His influence to get us to cooperate. Revelation is about the fact that the King has come and established His Kingdom which will last forever; His reign is being resisted, but His victory is sure. It has a lot of apocalyptic language, but anyone with ears can hear the message because the Holy Spirit helps them hear it. My favorite part is about prayers that ascend, are mixed with the smoke of the incense, and are hurled back to the earth where they have great impact. (Pun intended. What happens when you pray?) Prayers that make it to heaven and are mixed with the intentions of God, change the world. Revelation is filled with all kinds of practical stuff on witness, worship, steadfastness and the like. What John saw was the dynamic activity of an omnipotent God interacting with His creation in such a way to preserve their personhood with out compromising His own in any way. What did you think it was? John was a pastor, a poet and a prophet. Prophecy is speaking a clear, intelligent, pastoral word from God’s perspective in the midst of worldly chaos. What did you think it was? Fortune telling?

Quote:

It is only in the present that those projections can become reality. God declares in the present.
Hilston: No, God decreed in advance. That's the point of predestination; to declare and mark out in advance, preceding the actual determined events.
Yes, but what did God decree? You say everything. I say only what God chose to declare and no more.

Quote:

God is fully and simply present here and now and is more than able to make sure that nothing escapes or derails his plan for the future.
Hilston: To make sure? He is steering every detail in full and unflagging accordance with His meticulously determined decrees.
Uck! What an insecure God you describe.

Quote:

God is greater than our hearts and any intention to act contrary to God's ultimate plan.
Hilston: Have you forgotten your view, Philetus. It is the "Open View," remember? That means God is NOT greater than our hearts. Men act contrary to God's ultimate plan all the time.
Yes they do. And yes God is greater.
Quote:

God is unlimited in the present ...

Hilston: You're forgetting yourself, Philetus. The Open-View God is completely limited. He cannot overrride a man's will. He cannot mess around with people's desires. His hands are tied. He's doing everything He can, but failing miserably, as every day, scores of souls plummet into Hell, and He can not do Thing One about it. Show me that I'm wrong. Prove to me that your view can make sense of this Super Failure that you call the God of Open Theism.

No, Jim. I’m forgetting you and Augustine. God simply has determined that any who return to Him will do so by grace through faith in His Son by their own volition as drawn by the Holy Spirit. That is everything God is doing. The cross is everything he could do to make it possible. The only question that remains is are we doing everything we can as ambassadors of Christ to facilitate rather than frustrate God’s purpose to redeem the whole world to Himself. In my understanding and experience, that’s the Open View and that is why I pray and what I pray for. Sometimes in meticulous detail.

Quote:

... and can choose to allow whatever he chooses to allow, and respond to the actions/prayers of creatures as God wills.
Hilston: Sorry, but on your view, this simply cannot be true. God is a prisoner to man's will. Man is a free-will bully to God, and God is powerless, lest He violate His "priority attributes" of being relational, personal, loving, living and good.

There you go again, putting words where they don’t belong. God is not a prisoner nor is He bullied by free will. God as relational, personal, loving, living and good is more powerful than any unbridled wrath, and meticulous control than you have ever imagined.
Quote:

Ask what ever you will.
Hilston: On the Open View, what's the point? He can't do anything.
NO again, Jim. In the Open View God can do anything, he just doesn’t do everything.

Quote:

Ask what ever you will.
On the Open View, what's the point? He can't do anything.
NO again, Jim. In the Open View God can do anything, He chooses not do everything.

Quote:

It only takes a little faith.
What does faith do? Is it like a bribe? If you lay enough faith on the table, God the Miracle Monkey snaps to attention? And to do what? Watch as the souls of those He loves and longs to save plunge into the abyss into everlasting torment and condemnation?

That’s sick Jim. Bling beat me to this one.

Philetus

Quote:SEEKINGANSWERS
Why have you not responded to me?

Good lord seekinganswers. I have a life.
I’ve only read your post twice and I’m not yet sure what you are saying.

Why don’t you talk to Lee for a while and give me a chance to catch up. :dizzy:

I'll get there. :eek:
Philetus

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Philetus said:

Good lord seekinganswers. I have a life.
I’ve only read your post twice and I’m not yet sure what you are saying.

Why don’t you talk to Lee for a while and give me a chance to catch up. :dizzy:

I'll get there. :eek:
Philetus

seeking is difficult to understand and answer...perhaps he should demand scholars to critique his thesis and thoughts....most of us here do not have the time or energy to deal with long posts that are convoluted for the average person with a 'life'.

Philetus

godrulz said:
seeking is difficult to understand and answer...perhaps he should demand scholars to critique his thesis and thoughts....most of us here do not have the time or energy to deal with long posts that are convoluted for the average person with a 'life'.

I'm just not very good at debate and a glutton who sometimes bites off more than there is to chew. :hammer:
I'll learn the same why I always have ... the hard way. :D

Philetus

Philetus,

Why have you not responded to me? My last post states the reason that we are at odds. The story that is told by either the Calvinists or the Open Theists takes to heart the central precepts of Protestantism (liberal protestant understandings of justification and faith). In this way the story of the Creation becomes anthropocentric. And God's actions are defined by his response to these actions of men. They assume that humanity has been able to threaten God's work in the Creation; they assume that human will is a reality that stands distinct from God's will (as if human will had a power of its own). They assume that in Christ God is responding to men.

Protestants are here. And so are Catholics. So what? It’s the sad reality.
Sin doesn’t threaten God, but it is a real threat to creation and at least the quality of life if not life itself. Our division even within the Body of Christ is evidence.

The opportunity to return to God is God centered. Your argument that the narrative has been highjacked and made anthropocentric is unfounded. The big story is the same one that I embrace. How we work out the details in our own lives shouldn’t cause the kind of conflict it does, but it does. I suspect that if we were ‘doing the Gospel’ together rather than debating the Gospel at odds, we would find far more in common than the words that divide. The humanity you describe is not the humanity we are, nor is it the humanity we encounter in the world. It is only in Christ that we come to know who we are and why we are here. And Christ in us is the only hope some have of ever realizing and experiencing that true humanity in this life. Our following Christ is a pale reflection of God in Christ and the goal of our participation in the divine nature is not to elevate our selves but to have the mind of Christ and serve as He served.

We return as slaves in our thinking and God treats us as sons. And we are now the sons of God. It hath not yet appeared what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is. For now, we see in part. Maybe you see more than the rest of us. Maybe not. Still, you haven’t got it all. You have a blind side, elder brother. Move over son, there are servants in the house again and they aren’t grabbing for status with you or the Father. They are racing back to the field as an act of worship for the privilege of just being family.

Seekinganswers: I'm tired of the liberal approaches to the narrative of the scriptures. The scriptures do not teach us about God unless they become our story.

Me, too! But, your beef is with our Father, because you younger brother isn’t as mature as you are. Take it up with Him. I have to work the field. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

These are great paragraphs, Michael! As long as I don’t read into them all the theological BS that I could, and as long as you add Catholics, Orthodox and everybody else to the list.

The questions of the Open Theists and of the Calvinists have caused us to forget our place; we have elevated ourselves onto a pedastool at the center of this story of Creation, when in fact God is at the center as the one driving the events toward their proper purpose in him. And we as actors within this Creation are given freedom to serve God (in the likeness of God's service to the Creation). But we exchanged that freedom to grab hold of the divine status. And through that power-grab, we enslaved ourselves to sin (to a god made in our likeness; a god who would bring us to death). But God allowed us our inheritance (even as children who had completely defamed God's honor by our acts of disobedience; even as children who deserved wrath); and God in this grace sustained our life (even the life of a bunch of unrighteous and muderous people). And God waited for us (an active waiting), as a patient God who not being threatened by our declaration of war on him was willing to overlook our offenses if we would just return to him.

This is the profound message of the gospel that rings out in all Creation with Christ. Yet it is a gospel least heard among those of us who in our search for a relationship with God (like the Son who wants to return to the Father as a slave) have failed to see that God never broke the relationship we were so willing to set aside in the first place. We were never enemies of God. We were enemies in our minds because of our evil behavior. But God in his Son called us friends, and even more has welcomed us once again into his family as his own children.

Peace,
Michael

Just be careful that the ‘WE’ who elevate ourselves doesn’t include you no matter how good your theological insights might be. And when your neighbor who perceives himself to be your enemy puts a gun in your face ... love him. He may see Christ in you and turn or at least hit the safety instead of pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the paragraphs,
Philetus

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Philetus said:

I'm just not very good at debate and a glutton who sometimes bites off more than there is to chew. :hammer:

I actually find you one of the more clear posters with an attitude/character to match your insights. Perhaps it is because I agree with you :eek:

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Lighthouse: None of us have ever said God can lose.
But then being wrong and having to change your plan is winning? The Open View does not insist that God gets his way in each instance, and as noted with the next point, some of God's major purposes are continually thwarted, according to the Open View. That would be losing, I would say.

Philetus: Yes they do [act contrary to God's ultimate plan]. And yes God is greater.
How so, though, I must ask? How badly can God lose?

As in the example Hilston mentioned, of most people refusing to turn to God, and being lost. How is this to be considered God winning, God succeeding in some overall sense, when his purpose in such a critical area is so thwarted?

Now the usual response here is to point to some other purpose, that is, for God to make a situation where people may freely turn, for God to show his love, and yet...

If you have a goal to take a pawn and a bishop, and in the process lose your queen and your rook, then yes, you accomplish some of your purposes, but miss a main purpose.

And if God does not accomplish what is arguably his main purpose with respect to people, to save them, that would not be winning...

Blessings,
Lee

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
lee_merrill said:
Hi everyone,

But then being wrong and having to change your plan is winning? The Open View does not insist that God gets his way in each instance, and as noted with the next point, some of God's major purposes are continually thwarted, according to the Open View. That would be losing, I would say.

How so, though, I must ask? How badly can God lose?

As in the example Hilston mentioned, of most people refusing to turn to God, and being lost. How is this to be considered God winning, God succeeding in some overall sense, when his purpose in such a critical area is so thwarted?

Blessings,
Lee

I would not be quick to say that God was 'wrong'. He simply knows reality as it unfolds and may have expectations that do not come to pass due to the fickle heart of man.

Not having your way in every detail does not mean that one 'loses'. He will bring His project and plans to pass without ensuring no risk or loss along the way. The problem of evil (theodicy) is common to all views. In my mind, Open Theism has the strongest case in that the Bible (see Gospels) reveals a warfare model, not a blueprint model. God's holy and loving character is exalted and freed from being culpable for heinous evil. Wisely creating other free moral agents who did not have to rebel does not make God responsible for creatures misuse of this gift. Potential is not necessity. The other option was to not create or to create a deterministic universe. This was inferior and not chosen by God...i.e. a risk free theology is not compatible with divine love and reciprocal relationships (see "The God who risks" by John Sanders).

The fact that many perish is common to Calvinism, Arminianism, and Open Theism. Calvinism wrongly makes God responsible for the masses going to hell (TULIP=arbitrary and limited love; justice issues). Open Theism and Arminianism place the blame where it belongs (Satan; man). It also exalts God's perfect provision and intention for all man, not limiting His love nor making His justice partial and arbitrary.

lee_merrill

godrulz said:
I would not be quick to say that God was 'wrong'. He simply knows reality as it unfolds and may have expectations that do not come to pass due to the fickle heart of man.
This would be said to be God being right, though? I would say not, if you are not right, you are wrong, as far as a fact is concerned.

Not having your way in every detail does not mean that one 'loses'. He will bring His project and plans to pass without ensuring no risk or loss along the way.
God then does not have a project, a purpose to save each person?

The problem of evil (theodicy) is common to all views. In my mind, Open Theism has the strongest case in that the Bible (see Gospels) reveals a warfare model, not a blueprint model.
So then here there is a real loss. Yes, that would be the warfare model, and God indeed, loses, in this main objective.

The other option was to not create or to create a deterministic universe.
Unless God's children (and only God's children) can really choose freely, within God's will. There may be other options here.

"Am I not free?" (Paul)

The fact that many perish is common to Calvinism, Arminianism, and Open Theism.
Yet not to those willing to hope that all may be saved. But if every ship is a sinking ship, that doesn't plug the leak in the H.M.S. Open View, I would say!

Blessings,
Lee

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God desires and wills that all will be saved. This is His intention. Love and relationship are not coerced nor caused. God has done everything possible to save man. Man may chose to reject God's love, grace, and mercy. The consequences are spiritual, physical, and eternal death.

In all views, many perish. In your logic, this should be seen as a failure in all views. In a free will theism view, man, not God, is culpable for 'losing'. Saying that God wins because He saves all that He intends is a feeble loophole. It makes God's love and power limited and arbitrary and misunderstands the issues surrounding reconciliation. Logically, universalism might have the strongest case for God 'winning'. The reality is that God's will and grace are resistible (Lk. 7:30). This is a consequence of the type of creation He wisely, lovingly, sovereignly chose. Despite the risk, it was superior to not creating or creating robots. The Fall grieved God and broke His heart. He implemented a perfect plan of redemption, but not one that is forced on unwilling people. This is vulnerable love in contrast to a brute force sovereign. God in Christ should show you the true heart and ways of God. The humility and love of God is mind-blowing. Reducing Him to a static, Platonic deity is not more biblical nor praiseworthy. The warfare model is evident in the ministry of the incarnate God. He came to oppose sin, sickness, and Satan. He does not affirm evil as God's blueprint will. Your assumptions about free will, sovereignty, salvation, grace, love, etc. are fundamentally flawed. I urge you to revisit them. :chew:

Philetus

Quote:

It only takes a little faith.
What does faith do? Is it like a bribe? If you lay enough faith on the table, God the Miracle Monkey snaps to attention? And to do what? Watch as the souls of those He loves and longs to save plunge into the abyss into everlasting torment and condemnation?

Philetus wrote: That’s sick Jim. Bling beat me to this one.

Sorry Bling. It a was Balder who beat me to it.

Just a quick run through of James might help you with your faith issues, Jim.
I’ll add: James 1:5-7 — If any of you lack wisdom, let him as of God ... But let him ask in faith...
James 5: 14 ---Any among you sick ... let them pray
And James 5:17-18 — Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not ... And he prayed again, and the heavens gave rain ...

seekinganswers

Philetus said:
Protestants are here. And so are Catholics. So what? It’s the sad reality. Sin doesn’t threaten God, but it is a real threat to creation and at least the quality of life if not life itself. Our division even within the Body of Christ is evidence.

Sin does not even threaten the Creation, for the Creation that truly is the Creation is that which is grounded in God (who raises the dead). Sin cannot even threaten the Creation, for we who are found in God have overcome the evil of the world through the practice of what is good and right, a praxis taught to us by our Lord. In fact, we have overcome the world!

The divisions within the Body only shows that the Body does not consist in an invisible unity conceived of in nominalist theology. Even the hegemony of the church must fall. All the catholicity I need is grounded in the creeds of the early church. There needs to be a foundation for all who gather in Christ's name, and there must be hospitality shown among us even as we travel to different gatherings from our home one. This is the universality of the church, which is grounded in Christ. The Body of Christ is not mainly universal but is embodied (is that so radical a thought?). The Body of Christ is not a mystical and invisible union of believers; it is a real and practical union witnessed as we gather in worship (which is our entire life). The Body of Christ is a real body (i.e. a gathering).

The greater divisions of the church only shows that the church should not be invisible (i.e. a conception of the union of all believers everywhere). We are not united in body if we do not gather together; we are united in Spirit, that is, if we both submit to Christ (which comes in a common praxis found in the reading of the scriptures, in baptism, in the passing of peace, in praying as our Lord taught us to pray, in obedience to the commands of Christ, and in Eucharist (thanksgiving). As I said before, this minimal praxis is found in the early creeds of the church.

Philetus said:
The opportunity to return to God is God centered. Your argument that the narrative has been highjacked and made anthropocentric is unfounded. The big story is the same one that I embrace.

Which big story do you embrace? The story of God's Creation (movement from chaos to worship)? Or do you embrace the story of Substitionary Atonement (movement through Creation, fall, atonement, and salvation)? The first is grounded in God; the second is grounded in men. The first is one embraced by the church from its beginning; the second is a story initiated by the liberal protestants of the 19th and 20th centuries. Understand that I am in no way denying the fall, the atonement, or salvation, but the way in which I understand such things is not primary to the story. The story that takes center stage is the Creation; in other words, Creation is not a past event. It is an event that was initiated in the past and continues to its culmination (a perfected aspect). There is a reason why we in the church speak of "a New Creation."

The difference I find in the two stories is also a difference in how we live as Christians. Is the life of the Christian defined by the altar-call (which is the action brought about by the story of Substitutionary Atonement, which moves a person from guilt to fulfillment)? Or is the life of the Christian defined by baptism (which moves the person to live in reflection of Christ's own life, and grounds the person in catechism [discipleship])? Baptism and catechism were very early practices of the church (though not as formal or dogmatic as the catechism and baptism in many of the "main-line" churches of our day). Baptism and Catechism were a means of grace in the early church, for they were commanded by our Lord. And in giving to us these basic structures (actions), Christ was teaching us how we might live. They are not the source of grace (anymore than your or my words are a source of grace), but just as Paul can grant Grace to the churches through his words, so too can grace by granted through such practices. But only as we practice them in truth. They are by no means magical (anymore than my words have magically altered your oppinion).

Philetus said:
How we work out the details in our own lives shouldn’t cause the kind of conflict it does, but it does.

What conflict are you speaking of here? Are you referring to our disagreement?

I suspect that if we were ‘doing the Gospel’ together rather than debating the Gospel at odds, we would find far more in common than the words that divide. [/QUOTE]

This is not true in all cases, but is probably very true in our case. There are very good reasons to be at odds concerning the gospel (especially if there are some who preach a gospel which is "really no gospel at all"; this is the reality concerning the gospel told in the two narratives I outlined before

Philetus said:
The humanity you describe is not the humanity we are, nor is it the humanity we encounter in the world.

It is the humanity we are. We are really corrupt people, because we are caught up in the higherarchy of man that tries to define us by a different standard (like Rome had done in the time the scriptures of the New Testament were being written). And sometimes we aren't aware of our corruption because of how imbedded we are in this system. There are things that we do that are really wrong, and yet we do not even think about it (because we have been taught to "accept certain losses." When a soldier shoots a child in battle, rarely is such an action done with intention behind it (although I have to wonder when people bomb targets knowing that children and other innocents are present; I wonder who in the Bush administration decided that the lives of six children were worth exchanging for the life of a high priority target?). More often than not the soldier's senses and adrenaline have gotten the best of him (because despite the best training, a soldier on the battlefield remains human). And despite the lack of intentionality behind such actions, that soldier is horribly corrupted by this murder (on a similar level as the child and the family of that child). It leads to disorder of the mind and a breakdown of social ability as the soldier is forced to remember this incident for the rest of his life (the vividness of the memory constantly plaguing him).

Sin is a constant threat on our life, because sin feeds on life (it is parasitically dependant upon the good). And so we as Christians are constantly on the guard. We do not fear sin or death (because they have been overcome by Christ). But we watch ourselves in the already but not yet, for if we stand our ground we will yield fruit in a season. We are called to follow after Christ in baptism, which means we are constantly putting to death the world that is in us (that is, the corruption brought upon us by the world) even to the point of death; and we are constantly being raised in new life in Christ, as we are grounded in the praxis of the church (in a daily life of worship that reenvisions the world according to what Christ has taught us, according to the true Creation).

Philetus said:
It is only in Christ that we come to know who we are and why we are here. And Christ in us is the only hope some have of ever realizing and experiencing that true humanity in this life.

And Christ not only reveals to us ourselves, but God also. Only as we come to God do we know ourselves. We cannot possibly hope to know God in ourselves. And though we thought it difficult to approach God (like Israel cowering at the foot of the mountain refusing to approach God) we can approach Christ, and in the approaching we know God in humanity (a humanity which is not our own); and we know our humanity in God (as God draws us nearer to him in Christ). Christ among us is the hope of realizing and experiencing true humanity. As Christ draws us together by his Spirit, that we might gather in his name, not only once a week, but more often as the day approaches, we are the hope for the world. The world will see us as we gather and know that "God is truly among us." And they will know that we are in Christ as we love one another in the same way that Christ first loved us (as those with the means give to those with none; as those with little means sell what little they have for the sake of the whole [the earliest Christians were willing to sell themselves into slavery in order to provide for their brothers and sisters in Christ]; as we begin to value things in this world that the world could never value; as we are willing to die in testimony of Christ to strengthren the faith of our brethren [something that has been very real in China over the last few centuries]).

Philetus said:
Our following Christ is a pale reflection of God in Christ and the goal of our participation in the divine nature is not to elevate our selves but to have the mind of Christ and serve as He served.

"May this attitude (mind) be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who being in very nature God, did not think it something to be exploited. But he emptied himself, taking on the very nature of a slave, being made in human likeness. And being found as a man, he humbled himself unto obedience even in the cross death. And because of this, God exalted him to the highest place, giving him the most exalted name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

Philetus said:
We return as slaves in our thinking and God treats us as sons. And we are now the sons of God.

But do you not see that God never ceased to treat us as his children? It is only we who thought that God had forsaken us (when in fact we had forsaken him).

Philetus said:
It hath not yet appeared what we shall be, but we know that when he appears we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is. For now, we see in part. Maybe you see more than the rest of us. Maybe not. Still, you haven’t got it all.

This is very true. However, "these three things remain, faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." If we learn to love one another, not like the Beetle's song, but as Christ has taught us, we will be seeing as much as we need to now see. We will have it, we just won't possess it, for it is not ours to possess. It will be a gift that we give back to God.

Philetus said:
You have a blind side, elder brother. Move over son, there are servants in the house again and they aren’t grabbing for status with you or the Father. They are racing back to the field as an act of worship for the privilege of just being family.

:)

Peace,
Michael

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
seekinganswers said:
All the catholicity I need is grounded in the creeds of the early church. There needs to be a foundation for all who gather in Christ's name...
Why should that foundation be the early church creeds?

lee_merrill

godrulz said:
In all views, many perish. In your logic, this should be seen as a failure in all views.
Unless we may hope for all to be saved. I believe we are given reason to hope that, in Scripture.

1 Corinthians 15:22,28 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. ... then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

In a free will theism view, man, not God, is culpable for 'losing'.
Only if God has no purpose to save each individual!

The reality is that God's will and grace are resistible (Lk. 7:30).
Not if these people may eventually repent, though.

Romans 11:28 As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs...

And just in case we were wondering if this was with the area of salvation in view:

Romans 11:30-32 Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God's mercy to you. For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

And this would include those rebellious Pharisees, I would expect.

This is a consequence of the type of creation He wisely, lovingly, sovereignly chose. Despite the risk, it was superior to not creating or creating robots. ... This is vulnerable love in contrast to a brute force sovereign.
Then people in heaven can sin? If an essential part of a loving relationship is to be able to choose not to love?

Reducing Him to a static, Platonic deity is not more biblical nor praiseworthy.
Yes, I agree, God is not a motionless statue, impassive and unresponsive.

The humility and love of God is mind-blowing.
Amen, amen...

Blessings,
Lee

seekinganswers

Clete said:
Why should that foundation be the early church creeds?

The Apostle's Creed

We believe in God the Father Almighty
Creater of the Heavens and the Earth

And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary
Who suffered under Pontius Piolot, was crucified dead and buried.
He decended to the dead. On the third day he rose againt from the dead.
He ascended to the right hand of the God the Father Almighty, from where
he shall come again to judge both the living and the dead.

We believe in the Holy Spirit,
The holy catholic (meaning universal) church
The communion of the saints,
The forgiveness of sins,
The resurrection of the Body
And life everlasting.

Amen

Now admittedly this does not silence all heretics, but it does serve as a good foundation. If you just go with the scriptures, the early church would have fractured centuries before the first councils. There was no central body that called for an agreement on which documents were authoritative. Nor was there anything to oppose the misinterpretation of the scriptures (you had Arius, you had the montanists, and you had the docetists/gnostics; all of these groups had developed quite a large following). Creedal statements in very basic forms can be found throughout the scriptures themselves. And even this Apostle's Creed is grounded in the scriptures (though it is also a polemic against gnosticism).

You can fault the Roman Church all you want, but one thing is certain, had the Roman Church never developed (with Constantinianism and such) we Protestants would not be here today. We can blame Catholicism for a lot of things, but we can't utterly reject it, or we reject our foundation. There were a number of heretical groups that were drawing a lot of people into their midst. The scriptures are not just self-explanitory. People can misinterpret and misrepresent them, and in so doing they embrace a "Christianity" of sorts, but are not followers of Christ. The church was not entirely innocent in these first moves toward a more catholic understanding of the church, and I am in no way enamoured by what develops under the First Chrisendom. But I will not pretend that I can somehow divorce myself from the past and reforge a new tradition. We are still very much indebted to those who came before us (for better or for worse).

Peace,
Michael

Philetus

Seekinganswers,

Yes the Body of Christ is real and is found wherever two or three (million) gather in His name.
All the catholicity I need is grounded in the scripture.
The minimal praxis is also found in scripture.
Neither is enough.
I have great respect for the creeds, yet they are a step away from origin.
In fact even searching the scripture is not enough, and I have absolute confidence in the scriptures as God’s Word.
But, we are not made One in practice or by agreement on scripture.
We are one in Christ.
The protesting church claims scripture as sole authority.
The protested church claims the church as authority.
Jesus said “all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.”
You might say, “Yes, but …”

No if, ands, or buts about it. In Him we live and move and have our being.
Jesus accused the religious of his day of searching the scripture, yet refusing to come to Him for life. The details are important. Yet, we are all guilty of over emphasizing the details and minimizing the big picture.

It is not practical to speak as though the church invisible does not exist. The only time the ‘entire’ church will be gathered is in ‘the hear after’ and even the presence of Jesus will be visible in His resurrected and glorified body. (We shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is.) The reality we live with now is that this whole (all the redeemed in the present) is ‘invisible’ yet evident in its members as they gather in part. In that sense every gathering is whole, lacking nothing, because Christ is present in the members. The church is not Christ. Christ is present in the church.

There is also a reality in the absence of those not yet realizing that God is for them. Open Theism doesn’t directly address this, except in recognizing that God is still actively involved in informing and drawing and that it remains to be seen who will and who will not respond. There remains a tension between the not yet and the already. A balance between and interplay of what may seem to some as opposing elements or tendencies. No doubt, in our diversity, an over emphasis of one or the other is evident here and there and often evident to the point of distortion.

I think we were arguing past each other by prejudging and over reacting to perceived exaggerations or over emphasis. The ‘altar call crowd’ would likely find our approach lacking in the necessary emphasis on ‘Substitionary Atonement’. We don’t have an altar in the alley. Our emphases isn’t on that aspect of reconciliation though it plays a major roll when an individual comes to realize that “Jesus died for their sins and there is nothing they can do about it except accept it and yield..” (I can just see eyes rolling on both sides of the isle.) The question is: does the Gospel inform your living? People must experience the “bigger picture” (the narrative as you call it). And for those who have embraced it, it is very real here and now. Open Theism doesn’t address that issue, except in acknowledging that the conclusion is yet to be realized. But, because God has declared it and demonstrated it in the resurrection of Jesus, it will happen. We have this hope, and this hope doesn’t disappoint us.

The difference is in how we live. But that isn’t the point. We will never be strong enough, smart enough, spiritual enough or holy enough. Grace is in living and loving God with all we have - heart, mind and soul. Neither the baptistery nor the altar is center stage. Both, conversion and baptism; the altar and baptistery; salvation and discipleship; and even the church are secondary to the Christ-centricity of the Gospel. How one ‘gets saved’ is not really important compared to knowing one is saved and expressing it by living it out in the everyday ordinary details of life. Here is where OVT shines brightest. Salvation involves an act of volition, but choice is not what saves. Yielding to the Lordship of Christ involves many acts of volition, whether expressed in baptisms or not, but discipleship is not what validates our witness to the power of His resurrection. Christ in you and Christ in me is the only thing that counts. Living in such a way and loving our neighbor as if our neighbor is Jesus, until our neighbor realizes that it is in fact Jesus loving them (for we are as wretched as they and our measily love for one another will never compare to His love for all) and us loving Jesus who is alread at work in them whether they realize it or not, is the only experiencing and representing that I speak of. In that sense it is the bigger picture that I am following. There is a point in an individual’s life when she realizes and expresses in faith that Christ is living in her. That may be a moment or a journey.

All this experiencing and representing, however expressed, is only a shadow or pale demonstration of what God is really doing in the world. I think I understand your point that sin is no real threat to the definitive Narrative. But, in chapter 12, it plays a very real and potentially destructive part to those living out the struggle of realizing the future God has planned for chapter 46. And it remains to be seen by all, including God, who is the author and finisher of our faith, exactly how the final chapter will be written item by item in meticulous detail. But, the big picture will not change and nothing will escape inclusion.

I hope words don't get in the way as I struggle to express what I mean in a way that is broad and yet faithful to the Gospel.

Philetus

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Philetus said:

Your holding your own with Hilston.

Status
Not open for further replies.