ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

seekinganswers said:
Philetus,

If you believe that the future is held in humanity, than you have given in to the lie of the world. You have seen the shroud of evil, and have been made to believe that it is real (that it consists in itself). The future is not in the events that are yet to come; the future is held within the will. And I suppose with that regard there are two futures, and yet they are united in God, for it is only God's will that has power to create, and power to sustain. The first future is held within those who hope in the return of Christ (a return that is as certain within the future as we are certain of it now), who are sustained in his faithfulness, and who live in his love. The second future is really no future at all, for once God has revealed the truth by bringing everything into the light, those who were hostile towards God will be shown for the nothing that they were. The light will cast out darkness, and the darkness will be no more; Evil isn't a present reality; evil is a present blindness that continues to dupe us all into believing that true power is found in the one with the biggest guns. Evil only has power with absence (when the light fades). Thus, evil is contingent upon the good. Its power is parasitic, and its is death.

The future is now with God, not in a God that resides in a future time (for God is not bounded within time, but is the kephale (the head) and the telos (the culmination) of time; In Christ and through the Spirit God continues to shape the Creation to bring it to his rest (and it will be accomplished; it is not in doubt; God does not need to respond to humanity to bring this about; in fact, God has brought humanity to its proper telos by Christ and through the Spirit).

Finally, God is never passive in this world. Your "allowing nature" of God is just sickening to me. God doesn't "allow" things to happen. God is active within all things because God is the "all in all." Christ didn't suffer passively. Christ's suffering was active, an obedience toward God. Christ didn't allow humanity to kill him; Christ obeyed the Father even unto death, and so demonstrated that none had the power to destroy him, for his life consisted in God the Father. God doesn't allow evil, but overcomes evil through the practice of good. God does not come against evil on the terms that is set by those who are corrupt. God confronts the corruption with good, and in this way overcomes. And we too are called to overcome evil through the practice of what is right and good and pleasing to God. The God who allows things to happen is a God who does not act. The God who acts shows that those who act in opposition to him have only accomplished their own defeat; they are dust and will return to dust (a very good lenten sentiment).

The God who allows things is the God who listens to the cries of his people and does nothing. That is not the God revealed to Abraham (for God brings life to a barren womb); that is not the God revealed to Israel in Egypt (for God delivers his people from bondage); it most certainly is not the God of the exhile (who chastizes those whom God loves); and without doubt Christ reveals an active God not an "allowing" God (for God in Christ comes near to us to draw us closer to God). God is not powerless (indifferent) to the evil of our age (waiting for the eschaton to come), nor does God sit back and wait for the faithful to pray for him to come; God acts in drawing up those who are faithful to him and through this people calls the world back to himself. The eschaton is already here; judgment is already being pronounced on this world. And those who are pronouncing this judgment are the ones living faithfully among the ekklesia of God. God doesn't wait for us to pray to him. God is already active before we even thought to pray to him.

Peace,
Michael

Seekinganswers,
Who are you arguing with, Michael? You just made a dozen statements that tell me what I think and believe and then unleashed a torent of double talk to refute what you made up.

I look forward to hearing Jim's comments on my post responsding to his questions. At least he makes sense, even with all the bad manners and wrong theology.

Just puke and get over it, Michael. But, do get over it.
Peace and Longsuffering,
Philetus​

Sozo

sentientsynth said:
But the question remains, Dr. Brumley, Why don't you believe that time was created?

True. But only with sufficiently high dosages of LSD.

SS
Show me time or space.

sentientsynth

Sozo said:
Time is not a thing, and neither is space.
Posted by Sozo at 7:48 PM.

Sozo said:
Show me time or space.
Posted by Sozo at 9:08 PM.

Between these two posts by Sozo a total of 80 minutes passed. This, ladies and gentlemen, is time. These two events did not occur simultaneously.

| -----------X--------------- |

The mangitude of X is appoximately 2.5 inches. The two terminal lines do not occur at the same points. This, ladies and gentlemen, is space.

If you can't understand this, then you have no business taking part in debate. Sozo is a moron.

SS

Sozo

sentientsynth said:
Posted by Sozo at 7:48 PM.

Posted by Sozo at 9:08 PM.

Between these two posts by Sozo a total of 80 minutes passed. This, ladies and gentlemen, is time. These two events did not occur simultaneously.

| -----------X--------------- |

The mangitude of X is appoximately 2.5 inches. The two terminal lines do not occur at the same points. This, ladies and gentlemen, is space.

If you can't understand this, then you have no business taking part in debate. Sozo is a moron.

SS

You are a dumbass.

You have shown nothing but measurements and events. There is no such thing as an inch or a minute. They are both fabrications for communication purposes only.

drbrumley

Sozo said:
You are a dumbass.

You have shown nothing but measurements and events. There is no such thing as an inch or a minute. They are both fabrications for communication purposes only.

Exactly right. As it relates to what we call time SS, time as we call it has always existed. Pretty simple actually.

sentientsynth

Space does not exist?

Time does not exist?

I'm not going to waste any further energy debating such non-sense. If individuals are going to deny the very ncecessary preconditions for their spatiotemporal existence, then reasoning with such individuals is beyond the ability of a mere man.

Show you Biblically that time is a created thing? I already have.

Perhaps someone else will come along who is willing to concede such minor points as the existence of space-time. I'm not willing to waste any more SPACE or TIME on Dr. Brumley or Sozo.

SS

Hilston

Hall of Fame
Philetus said:
I understand why some have a hard time grasping the concept that God answers prayer and does things for people who ask.
Philetus, you're not getting this for some reason. I believe God answers prayers. I believe God does things for people who ask. It makes sense in my view. I don't see how it makes sense in yours. So please indulge me, and everyone else reading this who would really like to know: How does the Open Theist conception of God make sense of prayer. Can you pray for someone's salvation? No, because that would involve God mucking around with someone's free will. Do you believe God is doing everything He can to save as many people as possible? Yes? If so, then what are you praying for? What are you asking Him to do, and how does the Open View conception of God make sense of it?

Philetus said:
To explain away every detail of God’s involvement in the present by saying God has already determined everything, restricts God to such a small niche in the universe it virtually eliminates God from everyday involvement in one's life.
Wrong on both counts, Philetus. The determinist view requires God's involvement precisely because God decreed His own involvement. God is NOT restricted to a small niche of the universe precisely because He holds the entire thing together, down to the subatomic level. God is immanent; God is transcendent. In the Open View, God is neither, when taking that Luciferian theology to its logical conclusion.

Philetus said:
Making God as big as one possibly can imagine only reduces Him to both uninvolved and ineffective in the present.
It is obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. It's Google time, Philetus. Please go do some research; bone up on the topics at hand, then come back so we can have an intelligent discussion, as opposed to one of desperate ignorance.

Philetus said:
The God of meticulous control is a vain imagination of 'What will be ... aready is.'
Where did you get that? Bob Hill?

Philetus said:
A God who exists in the future (sees the future as existent reality) is limited to what He can do in the present by what He sees in the future.
Clueless.

Philetus said:
The future only exists in the hearts, minds, and imaginations of both God and man.
Really? Then what did God show John in the Revelation? A movie? A filmstrip? A flash animation, complete with sound effects and interactive clickable menus? This is the inevitable irrationality that Open Theism leads to. Denial of time. Denial of the future. Denial of space. Denial of logic. Denial of knowledge. Denial of one's Hope. Denial of the God of scripture.

Philetus said:
It is only in the present that those projections can become reality. God declares in the present.
No, God decreed in advance. That's the point of predestination; to declare and mark out in advance, preceding the actual determined events.

Philetus said:
God is fully and simply present here and now and is more than able to make sure that nothing escapes or derails his plan for the future.
To make sure? He is steering every detail in full and unflagging accordance with His meticulously determined decrees.

Philetus said:
God is greater than our hearts and any intention to act contrary to God's ultimate plan.
Have you forgotten your view, Philetus. It is the "Open View," remember? That means God is NOT greater than our hearts. Men act contrary to God's ultimate plan all the time.

Philetus said:
God is unlimited in the present ...
You're forgetting yourself, Philetus. The Open-View God is completely limited. He cannot overrride a man's will. He cannot mess around with people's desires. His hands are tied. He's doing everything He can, but failing miserably, as every day, scores of souls plummet into Hell, and He can not do Thing One about it. Show me that I'm wrong. Prove to me that your view can make sense of this Super Failure that you call the God of Open Theism.

Philetus said:
... and can choose to allow whatever he chooses to allow, and respond to the actions/prayers of creatures as God wills.
Sorry, but on your view, this simply cannot be true. God is a prisoner to man's will. Man is a free-will bully to God, and God is powerless, lest He violate His "priority attributes" of being relational, personal, loving, living and good.

Philetus said:
Ask what ever you will.
On the Open View, what's the point? He can't do anything.

Philetus said:
It only takes a little faith.
What does faith do? Is it like a bribe? If you lay enough faith on the table, God the Miracle Monkey snaps to attention? And to do what? Watch as the souls of those He loves and longs to save plunge into the abyss into everlasting torment and condemnation?

drbrumley

sentientsynth said:
Space does not exist?

Time does not exist?

I'm not going to waste any further energy debating such non-sense. If individuals are going to deny the very ncecessary preconditions for their spatiotemporal existence, then reasoning with such individuals is beyond the ability of a mere man.

Show you Biblically that time is a created thing? I already have.

Perhaps someone else will come along who is willing to concede such minor points as the existence of space-time. I'm not willing to waste any more SPACE or TIME on Dr. Brumley or Sozo.

SS
Have it your way SS. It would have been better and truer to say I don't know then to blast me with insults.

Dave

Balder

Hilston said:
You're forgetting yourself, Philetus. The Open-View God is completely limited. He cannot overrride a man's will. He cannot mess around with people's desires. His hands are tied. He's doing everything He can, but failing miserably, as every day, scores of souls plummet into Hell, and He can not do Thing One about it. Show me that I'm wrong. Prove to me that your view can make sense of this Super Failure that you call the God of Open Theism.
Barring Universalism, the other option is no better: God, fully capable of saving everyone, instead makes some (or many) people specifically as vessels for his wrath and intentionally sends huge numbers of sentient beings to a fate of eternal conscious torment in a place he specifically designed for that purpose.

drbrumley

Hilston said:
Philetus, you're not getting this for some reason. I believe God answers prayers. I believe God does things for people who ask. It makes sense in my view. I don't see how it makes sense in yours. So please indulge me, and everyone else reading this who would really like to know: How does the Open Theist conception of God make sense of prayer. Can you pray for someone's salvation? No, because that would involve God mucking around with someone's free will. Do you believe God is doing everything He can to save as many people as possible? Yes? If so, then what are you praying for? What are you asking Him to do, and how does the Open View conception of God make sense of it?

Wrong on both counts, Philetus. The determinist view requires God's involvement precisely because God decreed His own involvement. God is NOT restricted to a small niche of the universe precisely because He holds the entire thing together, down to the subatomic level. God is immanent; God is transcendent. In the Open View, God is neither, when taking that Luciferian theology to its logical conclusion.

It is obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about. It's Google time, Philetus. Please go do some research; bone up on the topics at hand, then come back so we can have an intelligent discussion, as opposed to one of desperate ignorance.

Where did you get that? Bob Hill?

Clueless.

Really? Then what did God show John in the Revelation? A movie? A filmstrip? A flash animation, complete with sound effects and interactive clickable menus? This is the inevitable irrationality that Open Theism leads to. Denial of time. Denial of the future. Denial of space. Denial of logic. Denial of knowledge. Denial of one's Hope. Denial of the God of scripture.

No, God decreed in advance. That's the point of predestination; to declare and mark out in advance, preceding the actual determined events.

To make sure? He is steering every detail in full and unflagging accordance with His meticulously determined decrees.

Have you forgotten your view, Philetus. It is the "Open View," remember? That means God is NOT greater than our hearts. Men act contrary to God's ultimate plan all the time.

Sorry, but on your view, this simply cannot be true. God is a prisoner to man's will. Man is a free-will bully to God, and God is powerless, lest He violate His "priority attributes" of being relational, personal, loving, living and good.

On the Open View, what's the point? He can't do anything.

What does faith do? Is it like a bribe? If you lay enough faith on the table, God the Miracle Monkey snaps to attention? And to do what? Watch as the souls of those He loves and longs to save plunge into the abyss into everlasting torment and condemnation?
Sure thing Hilston. :rolleyes:

drbrumley

As humanity in trying to understand and explain the measurements of time and space, your right. Hilston's post was a waste of space.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
sentientsynth-
You have shown nothing from Scripture to prove that time, or space, were created.

lee_merrill

drbrumley said:
Sure thing Hilston. :rolleyes:
Actually, he made some quite telling points, the lack of refutation would it seems, also indicate that.

Open Theists indeed seem to try and have it both ways, with God omnipotent and also unable in various ways, with God invincible, and yet he can lose and have to change his plan...

Blessings,
Lee

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
lee_merrill said:
Actually, he made some quite telling points, the lack of refutation would it seems, also indicate that.

Open Theists indeed seem to try and have it both ways, with God omnipotent and also unable in various ways, with God invincible, and yet he can lose and have to change his plan...

Blessings,
Lee
None of us have ever said God can lose. And omnipotence does not mean able to do things that have been made impossible, by God Himself. He cannot make a square circle.:duh:

seekinganswers

Philetus said:
Seekinganswers,
And the texts you use are the same and so on and so on.
I'm not taking it personal I'm just tired of having filter your experience of Process Theology from your posts.

The point I was trying to make was that just because we all use the same words doesn’t make us all the same. I guess you could find a little similarity between OT and Calvinism. We use the same texts and both talk about Jesus. We might be amused and they might be offended. Oh, well.

The similarity I find between the two views is not grounded in the scriptures or in Christ (because both groups use distinct proof-texts and have very different views of Christ; they are not united in the scriptures and in christology). The similarity I find is grounded in the questions they ask: how does God know the future, and how does one understand "evil"? Both views understand the future as events that are to take place and both give evil an ontological reality. As I have been telling you before, such assumptions cannot be found in the scriptures. Within the scriptures the future is not about events but is about telos (purpose, goal, or culmination); evil is not a reality in itself, but is the absence of reality (the corruption of good). It is the fact that your questions are grounded in these false assumptions that I reject both views.

The scriptures present time as enclosed by God (who is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end). This is not to say that the beginning and end are events that God either has known or foresees (it is not through some ability to observe the Creation and know what will come about based on an extensive ability to "read the signs" that God is the "end" [telos] of Creation). As I have been saying, the beginning is Christ, and the end (purpose, the driving force) is the Spirit. The rosh (head) that is the "beginning" (another translation of rosh) is not a point in time, it is a person of the Godhead, the very word spoken by the Father, by whom God creates all things ("Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life and that life was the light of men. The light shines into the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."). The Spirit is the purpose of the Creation, that life giving breath of God that fills all Creatures. The Spirit is the culmination of all Creation, in life. God infiltrates the void, making space for life by God's Word, and through God's Word God also sends God's Spirit into the world to bring fourth life in the space that was made for it. God is both beginning and end (purpose) and both are wrapped up in the will of the Father, the three being one in the Godhead. God has revealed Godself from the beginning in the Word, in the Spirit and in the Father. The trinity is the God that is revealed to us in the Creation (not just the Father).

The very narrative of that first chapter of Genesis is as much a story of our today as it is a story of the past. It is the word that underlies the Creation, that tells us the full story. And in chapter two we begin the details of that story in the toledot of the Heavens and the Earth (the genealogy of the Heavens and the earth). It is only in chapter two that the events begin. The theme of Creation is set in chapter one. God moves the Creation from chaos to rest [i.e. worship], from disorder to order, from absence of life to life, from beginning to telos. The initial passage of scripture, the "table of contents", if you will, for what follows is this very first chapter. And in this chapter the beginning meets the end (the head meets the telos). It has nothing to do with events! God knows the future in the Creation in God's power to give life and to sustain life. Knowledge is not an observational action (which by nature is passive). Knowledge is active.

To know, for God, is to drive the events for his purpose and good pleasure. Those who believe that what they do influences God's actions really don't know the power of God. How can that which is Created and that which is utterly contingent upon God for life drive the very one who gives life and sustains life? How can anyone drive the actions of God? Does God sit back waiting for us to act in the Creation on our own before God responds, or does God act regardless of our own action? Does God not show grace to the humans in the garden after they had disobeyed him? Is this not evidence enough that from the beginning God had called us friends? Does God's question to the humans who hide their shame before God not present the most profound grace that one can encounter in the scriptures (Where are you? Did you eat from the tree?). All God asks for is for them to be laid bare before him once again, for the clothing they had sought out to hide their shame was insufficient. God knew the answer to the questions he asked the humans in the garden. He would not have called out to them had he not known that they were there. He would not have asked the question regarding the tree had he not already known that they had taken from it and eaten what had been forbidden to them. Even before we had the parable of the lost son in Luke here in Genesis was the image of the Father who stood waiting for his children to return to him.

This is a very different story from what is told by the Open Theists or the Calvinists. The overarching theme for the Calvinists and the Open Theists is this: God Created the heavens and the earth, humans fell, God preserved humans after the fall through the law (for God must destroy sin in force; if someone comes before God in sin, God by his nature must be just and destroy sin); God through Christ offers proper atonement for sin; humans can now enter into salvation through Christ's atonement for their sins by his blood; the "old" Creation must be destroyed and those few who are saved go to God in heaven. It is a story as old as the Reformation, and entirely anthropocentric, when the protestants began to emphasize justification and atonement in Paul over rectification and regeneration. The protestants emphasized personal faith and atonement (justification); Paul in his letters emphasizes ekklesia and grace.

This is where we are very much at odds. It is the narrative at our foundation that is fundamentally different. If we are to find agreement, we will have to start with this narrative.

Peace,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.