Appeal to the Moderators: TOL is for Dialogue? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Tell me how to find it.

It wasn't a joke thread...that said, the title of the thread is misleading if its not set in context. The point of the thread was this:

There was a dude who got his Ph.D. in one of the social sciences, and his dissertation was basically him showing, by means of statistics, etc., that Mexican immigration is bad. Basically, the ones immigrating (primarily illegally, I think) are from the lower classes, of lower education, etc., and that, statistically speaking, this leaves a generational legacy to their offspring.

So we start off with "dumb" mexican immigrants, and what we end up with are relatively "dumb" children of "dumb" mexican immigrants."

[But of course, this should be of no surprise; that's just common sense. Consider The Offspring's song "Way Down the Line."]

Well, fast forward years later, and politically correct, pro-immigration liberals are demanding his resignation from whatever position it was that he was holding because he chose to write his doctoral dissertation on that and argue for the thesis for which he argued.

I find that absolutely preposterous.

[If this weren't TOL, I'd have much more choice, select words to describe what I think about those people and what they were demanding.]

In the course of the discussion, the topic turned to multiculturalism...and not going to lie: I'm not a fan. I like cultural homogeneity, presupposing, of course, that the culture in question is my own (read: white).

ClimateSanity

It wasn't a joke thread...that said, the title of the thread is misleading if its not set in context. The point of the thread was this:

There was a dude who got his Ph.D. in one of the social sciences, and his dissertation was basically him showing, by means of statistics, etc., that Mexican immigration is bad. Basically, the ones immigrating (primarily illegally, I think) are from the lower classes, of lower education, etc., and that, statistically speaking, this leaves a generational legacy to their offspring.

So we start off with "dumb" mexican immigrants, and what we end up with are relatively "dumb" children of "dumb" mexican immigrants."

[But of course, this should be of no surprise; that's just common sense. Consider The Offspring's song "Way Down the Line."]

Well, fast forward years later, and politically correct, pro-immigration liberals are demanding his resignation whatever position it was that he was holding because he chose to write his doctoral dissertation on that and argue for the thesis for which he argued.

I find that absolutely preposterous.

[If this weren't TOL, I'd have much more choice, select words to describe what I think about those people and what they were demanding.]

In the course of the discussion, the topic turned to multiculturalism...and not going to lie: I'm not a fan. I like cultural homogeneity, presupposing, of course, that the culture in question is my own (read: white).

OK Anna, please tell me what is so hideous about what this social science PhD wrote for his dissertation? It might be unpleasant but it is science. It isn't sciences job to make sure no ill comes from research or that nobody is offended.

If that is what makes the thread horrible and the poster my implication, then you are not fully in support of science.

The possible degrading feelings felt by Mexicans over this paper are small in comparison to the real harm that will come from "global warming" mitigation. People are already losing jobs. Third world countries are mired in severe , life shortening poverty because of a lack of cheap energy sources. Life expectancy would improve. Living conditions would improve if not for this insane war on carbon dioxide.

Yes the last part is off topic but does go to show how far off people get in their selective outrage.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It wasn't a joke thread...that said, the title of the thread is misleading if its not set in context.

They are exercising their right in bearing false witness, or beating straw men directly on people themselves. Anna, Rusha- that whole crowd- they do it all the time and it's ridiculous.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
OK Anna, please tell me what is so hideous about what this social science PhD wrote for his dissertation? It might be unpleasant but it is science. It isn't sciences job to make sure no ill comes from research or that nobody is offended.

If that is what makes the thread horrible and the poster my implication, then you are not fully in support of science.

The possible degrading feelings felt by Mexicans over this paper are small in comparison to the real harm that will come from "global warming" mitigation. People are already losing jobs. Third world countries are mired in severe , life shortening poverty because of a lack of cheap energy sources. Life expectancy would improve. Living conditions would improve if not for this insane war on carbon dioxide.

Yes the last part is off topic but does go to show how far off people get in their selective outrage.

It's a long thread, so I know you haven't read through it. I have, I was there. Trad already told you himself it wasn't a joke thread, so you've heard it from him directly, so now you know - it wasn't a joke thread as you thought. And as has been verified, Trad did find misplaced humor in the Aurora massacre. So those things are known, I didn't make them up.

I didn't agree with Trad in those threads, and I told him so. I dialogued. You can do with that what you will.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The "Archdiocese of Rome" has spoken.

vader.bmp

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It's a long thread, so I know you haven't read through it. I have, I was there. Trad already told you himself it wasn't a joke thread, so you've heard it from him directly, so now you know - it wasn't a joke thread as you thought. And as has been verified, Trad did find misplaced humor in the Aurora massacre. So those things are known, I didn't make them up.

I didn't agree with Trad in those threads, and I told him so. I dialogued. You can do with that what you will.

I believe there was also discussion of the n-word in the Mexicans thread and my gratuitous use of the term in my own private life. I don't entirely remember how we got there, but I can assure everyone:

If I didn't fear the consequences, you guys would never see me write "black people" on this forum. :p

That may have gotten AnnaBenedetti and the rest of the political correctness crowd in a bad mood. :noid:

Status
Not open for further replies.