Alt-righter plows into crowd of anti-racists in Charlottesville

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's the macro version of what happens here on TOL in the micro on a daily basis.
So I'm seeing, more and more. It's been helpful.

People parroting wild conspiracy theories from various conspiracy sites (including Alex Jones), telling people they'll burn in hell, dismissing verifiable stories as fake news, and trying desperately to shift blame anywhere but where it belongs with the alt-right/white nationalists/white supremacists/Nazis.
One of the things that really surprised me was seeing people on this site so dedicated to hating the left that they could do the pro White Supremacists and Nazi's work for them, jumping in to mitigate and redefine, to raise equivalence and concentrate on the wrong side of the ball. I though Americans stood up to that sort of thing, that we'd stand shoulder to shoulder despite our differences because the other side, politics aside, distinctions aside, was and is evil.

Knock me over with a feather. If this is a microcosm the experiment is over and it failed. The boys who lay on the beaches of Normandy and Guadalcanal wasted their last breaths on a people who didn't deserve the sacrifice.

What I hope is that this place is like a microphone and what I'm seeing is mostly a disproportionate share of crazy and loud, because those kids deserve better.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes you do, hateful one.
The way you have judged my heart on the matter.
Pathetic.
I don't hate you Tam. I never have. It's why the language I use with you is different than the language you use with me, why I don't call you "scum" or "pathetic" or any of the litany of names that fall off your fingertips here like bad apples. And I don't judge your heart, I judge your words. I even set them out.

You know what most domestic abusers have in common? They almost always apologize between incidents...now they may believe they mean it, but that never really helps anyone, least of all them. It's likely true that some part of them wants to believe it, even though they know it changes nothing, least of all what they'll do next.

When someone says, "I'm not a racist, but..." I know what's likely coming and I'm rarely surprised by it. There's the convention that is mostly a declaration of what they may hope is true about themselves, and there's the thing that comes next, the thing that actually defines the difference between that hope and where they are, at least in that moment.

So when you said you felt for the woman, but...nothing that came after was the least bit surprising either. And nothing you've said to distract from it since has been the least surprising either.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

One of the things that really surprised me was seeing people on this site so dedicated to hating the left that they could do the pro White Supremacists and Nazi's work for them, jumping in to mitigate and redefine, to raise equivalence and concentrate on the wrong side of the ball. I though Americans stood up to that sort of thing, that we'd stand shoulder to shoulder despite our differences because the other side, politics aside, distinctions aside, was and is evil.

Americans *use* to stand up against such reprehensible nonsense. THIS American still does and always will. I am not sure whether the white supremacists/nazi apologists had these sentiments bottled up for years OR if Trump spread his personal animosity nationwide to those who were most susceptible to his type of con-game. Best we can hope for is his early removal from office.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't hate you Tam. I never have. It's why the language I use with you is different than the language you use with me, why I don't call you "scum" or "pathetic" or any of the litany of names that fall off your fingertips here like bad apples. And I don't judge your heart, I judge your words. I even set them out.

You know what most domestic abusers have in common? They almost always apologize between incidents...now they may believe they mean it, but that never really helps anyone, least of all them. It's likely true that some part of them wants to believe it, even though they know it changes nothing, least of all what they'll do next.

When someone says, "I'm not a racist, but..." I know what's likely coming and I'm rarely surprised by it. There's the convention that is mostly a declaration of what they may hope is true about themselves, and there's the thing that comes next, the thing that actually defines the difference between that hope and where they are, at least in that moment.

So when you said you felt for the woman, but...nothing that came after was the least bit surprising either. And nothing you've said to distract from it since has been the least surprising either.
Not surprising at all how you have twisted my heartfelt remorse for the lady and all that were harmed.
You are a dead wrong pathetic slanderous loser with a severely twisted mind.
Go rack up your slanderous twisted mind in your spin thread Quixote like you always do.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not surprising at all how you have twisted my heartfelt remorse for the lady and all that were harmed.
I didn't do that Tam. I put that whole sentence, unaltered, in the very post and since. I just noted the "but" and what came after it that reduced what you're calling heartfelt to the appearance of legal boilerplate, the thing people put up because they either have to or need to. Then you reduced the fear she went against in showing up, unarmed, among people with weapons and hatred, to "leery" and that bravery to nothing special. A thing that included anyone there, Nazi and Supremacist alike.

You're not attacking me with this litany of school yard insult because you've been defamed, Tam. You're doing it because you don't like what it says about you. And that gives me some hope, if you can get past justification and into consideration. There's a good person in there. I've talked to her more than once over the years.

You are a dead wrong pathetic slanderous loser with a severely twisted mind.
When you get past that sort of thing and realize this isn't a problem you're having with me.

Go rack up your slanderous twisted mind
Supra. See, you're still even using the wrong word. That's how invested you are emotionally in this. You know it's wrong and do it anyway. It's a microcosm for your address on the young woman and some part of you has to know it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Americans *use* to stand up against such reprehensible nonsense.
I hope we mostly still do, that the voices of people who aren't are only louder and not more numerous.

THIS American still does and always will. I am not sure whether the white supremacists/nazi apologists had these sentiments bottled up for years OR if Trump spread his personal animosity nationwide to those who were most susceptible to his type of con-game. Best we can hope for is his early removal from office.
I hope that happens. More, I hope people who've been distorted by the rhetoric and their investment in it come to regret and see it. Because they can make the most ardent and wonderful supporters of the good when that happens, like a reformed sinner. That's one hope.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I hope we mostly still do, that the voices of people who aren't are only louder and not more numerous.

I hope that happens. More, I hope people who've been distorted by the rhetoric and their investment in it come to regret and see it. Because they can make the most ardent and wonderful supporters of the good when that happens, like a reformed sinner. That's one hope.

Agreed.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

It's been clarifying.

One of the things that really surprised me was seeing people on this site so dedicated to hating the left that they could do the pro White Supremacists and Nazi's work for them, jumping in to mitigate and redefine

This is particular. One of the protest signs was "Don't pretend your racism is patriotism" and that's what they're doing. They're covering their white nationalism with a different kind of patriotism, one driven by the same fear of the other that's driven this country since the Puritans arrived. It's only a continuation of what's gone before, and should we really be surprised? The Native Americans, Blacks, Catholics, Chinese, Mexicans, Muslims...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

I hope the anti Trumpers continue to be proven wrong and come to their senses

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This is particular. One of the protest signs was "Don't pretend your racism is patriotism" and that's what they're doing. They're covering their white nationalism with a different kind of patriotism, one driven by the same fear of the other that's driven this country since the Puritans arrived. It's only a continuation of what's gone before, and should we really be surprised? The Native Americans, Blacks, Catholics, Chinese, Mexicans, Muslims...
I've been having a conversation with a friend of mine elsewhere. He's on toward the right fringe and I can see the struggle in him when it comes to defining and defying the people who marched to protest the removal of monuments to slavery. I suspect that without their strident anti liberal mix in it would be far easier for him. The old enemy of my enemy is problematic for many.

I said this to my friend about my conversion on the point after he noted my relative late coming to the conclusion and the particulars of my education:

Here's the truth. You can't open a door until you see it. Because it isn't about intelligence. Many a very intelligent man has fallen to the inculcation of an ignorant notion. I'll gratefully credit my change to others and their work to wake me. Calling that fashion may serve your feeling, but it really doesn't matter if it's popular or unpopular, only if it is true or untrue.

What happens when you're compromised by bias is that it tethers, limits the scope of inquiry and you don't even recognize it. So I said, "It's history. It's culture," and that satisfied me. I knew I wasn't a racist so I couldn't be serving any semblance of it. And because I never heard the arguments of those with another and different perspective I continued on in that thought. Until the voices of people with a very different depth of understanding shocked me out of my context and there I was, staring at it. The arguments I hadn't considered were obvious to me as my error. In the face of that I had one option: open the door and pass through it. It wasn't a new consideration, but the absence of a full consideration born of a learned blindness that led to my error and it took a shaking to shake me out of it.

The fact is these statues are monuments to an idea that at its heart and by the declarations of those states who fought for it was the protection and expansion of an evil, of slavery. Whatever else we drape over that, the center is malignant. There is no waiting argument that can alter that truth. No way to ennoble it or dismiss it. And that truth understood, should set you free of the weight of them. And there is no moral equivalency on the part of those who defend the indefensible, even if some who oppose it are in need of other lessons.

If, understanding that, you fight to preserve them then you are on the wrong side of history. You are on the wrong side of reason. You're on the wrong side of the good. There's the door.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

The fact is these statues are monuments to an idea that at its heart and by the declarations of those states who fought for it was the protection and expansion of an evil, of slavery. Whatever else we drape over that, the center is malignant. There is no waiting argument that can alter that truth. No way to ennoble it or dismiss it. And that truth understood, should set you free of the weight of them. And there is no moral equivalency on the part of those who defend the indefensible, even if some who oppose it are in need of other lessons.

:up:

I've just posted to another thread this young Southern woman's reflection on the monuments she grew up with. You may find that it echoes your thoughts very well.

Arthur Brain

Leftists are always racists.

You really wanna change the brand of metal hat you're wearing as it seems to be affecting the oxygen flow to what passes for a brain. Typical wingnut, bumper sticker rubbish once again Musty. It's blatantly false as well as dishonest so not sure how you can justify that with a faith that doesn't exactly look favourably on bearing false witness...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You really wanna change the brand of metal hat you're wearing as it seems to be affecting the oxygen flow to what passes for a brain. Typical wingnut, bumper sticker rubbish once again Musty. It's blatantly false as well as dishonest so not sure how you can justify that with a faith that doesn't exactly look favourably on bearing false witness...
So you're saying he's not right? :eek:

It's remarkable the lengths to which some on the right will go to blur lines, isn't it...and by remarkable I mean, of course, a word violative of the rules here.