Against abortion and against person-hood?

glassjester

I'm puzzled why you would ask this when you know that with a simple touch, you would immediately reawaken.

That's irrelevant to your point before. While I am asleep, my self-awareness ceases. I could be more specific, if you'd like. Let's say during dreamless sleep, my self-awareness ceases.

Have I ceased to be a human person during that time (no matter how brief)?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The extreme inconsistency is strong in this thread.

Fetus:
manipulate_fetus_l.jpg

Born human:
Just+Born+-+02.jpg

Pro-life advocates go on exhaustive technicalities in response to rebukes, but yet sit there and make a sweeping generalization on what a human being is.

They'll take anything, no matter how dubious or contradictory- just as long as it feeds into their notions.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The extreme inconsistency is strong in this thread.

Fetus:
manipulate_fetus_l.jpg

Born human:
Just+Born+-+02.jpg

Pro-life advocates go on exhaustive technicalities in response to rebukes, but yet sit there and make a sweeping generalization on what a human being is.

They'll take anything, no matter how outlandish or contradictory- just as long as it feeds into their made up claim.

So why do you even refer to yourself as prolife? The arguments and complete disregard you show for the unborn is consistent with those who are pro-abortion.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
So do you even refer to yourself as prolife? The arguments and complete disregard you show for the unborn is consistent with those who are pro-abortion.

There's pro-life, and there's 'pro-life'. The political, neo-conservative one, and the logical, consistent one.

You all eat eggs, refer to their innards as egg whites and egg yolks, and never have referred to it as a 'chicken'. Do you know why? Because that is your intuitive knowledge.

That is why you all get nowhere in your notion that abortion is murder, because there is nothing existent in human intuition to see fetuses as the same as born humans.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There's pro-life, and there's 'pro-life'. The political, neo-conservative one, and the logical, consistent one.

You all eat eggs, refer to their innards as egg whites and egg yolks, and never have referred to it as a 'chicken'. Do you know why? Because that is your intuitive knowledge.

That is why you all get nowhere in your notion that abortion is murder, because there is nothing existent in human intuition to see fetuses as the same as born humans.

This is your stupidest argument by far. As a child and teen, did you name your egg whites and yolks? What did you name them? Did you plan for their future?

Those who value the lives of the unborn would never compare them to chickens, egg whites and egg yolks.

PureX

That's irrelevant to your point before. While I am asleep, my self-awareness ceases. I could be more specific, if you'd like. Let's say during dreamless sleep, my self-awareness ceases.

Have I ceased to be a human person during that time (no matter how brief)?
Perhaps so. But of course the rest of us would not treat you as a non-person immediately, because we would expect you to awaken, and resume being a person.

Why are you trying to disregard reason? 'Personhood' is not an absolute that either exists or doesn't. It's a concept that we apply to a set of phenomena. Surely you recognize this.

glassjester

Perhaps so. But of course the rest of us would not treat you as a non-person immediately, because we would expect you to awaken, and resume being a person.

What if I wasn't going to awaken for another 5 or 6 months? Would it be alright to treat me as a non-person then?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm puzzled why you would ask this when you know that with a simple touch, you would immediately reawaken.
So potential is sufficient?

And that even as you were asleep, your consciousness was working out it's own immutable puzzles in your dreams, while your body rests.
The mind doesn't spend all of the time dreaming. So what then?

This phenomena of dream-sleep is part of the experience of being a living person. A part that doesn't occur in fetuses or cadavers.
And haircuts. Only real people get those...why? Because real people can grow hair that must then be cut...or shaved. :plain: I

f you follow.

PureX

What if I wasn't going to awaken for another 5 or 6 months? Would it be alright to treat me as a non-person then?
"What if" questions are irrelevant. If you have to resort to "what if" questions to make a point, you need to re-think your position.