Against abortion and against person-hood?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It is a relevant observation that points out the apparent irrationality of treating the potentiality of a human being within in a cluster of cells as the equivalent of an actualized human being expressing physical autonomy.
Rather, it's a neat argumentative circle draw freehand. Actualized? You're simply trying to give your point of valuation a respectability it can't command else. There's nothing inherently irrational about treating a new biologically created being, be it a few days or several months, as a creature of right. In fact, rationality compels it, as per my argument.

PureX

There's a blueprint. There's a process. And there's a result. The blueprint is not the process, nor the result. The process is not the blueprint or the result. And the result is not the blueprint or the process. And ignoring the fact that these are different phenomena doesn't magically make them one and the same phenomena warranting one and the same response from us.

DNA is the blueprint, not the human being. Fetal development is the process by which the blueprint manifests a human being, it is not the actualized human being. The human being is the result of the blueprint and the process. And just blindly insisting that they are all the same because that's the opinion you've decided on doesn't make any of these facts of the reality of it, go away, or become irrelevant.

I think you should own up to that. I think you should be honest enough to recognize that there are flaws in your reasoning and acknowledge them when they are pointed out to you. There's no logical reason not to, because once you acknowledge them you can discuss them, and perhaps find a better perspective and opinion on the issue.

Doesn't look like you're willing to do that, though.

katiecrna

That's just a game of semantics and technicality. Fetuses have yet to see the light of day, have no memory, and have no biological autonomy. They have more in common with the egg or sperm than of a born human being.

Depends on the gestation age of the fetus. A 3 week old fetus has more In common with the egg and sperm. A 6 month old fetus has more in common with a neonate.

katiecrna

Pro-lifers are obsessed with these unborn babies and the fact that they are "murdered". Yet most pro-lifers believe in capital punishment. Murder is murder. People say... Well that unborn baby is innocent. I disagree, as the bible says we are all born with original sin. So why are people so obsessed with abortion but not capital punishment? Or murder in general. If people are so crazy against murder why do they think it's ok to buy and sell fire arms. To be more exact... Military weapons. If your so passionate about murder, then be against it in all aspects of the meaning, not just in one area. This is where personal judgement comes through. God never says in the bible one sin is worse than the other. So if your super against one particular group of people that commit one particular type of sin more than other groups of people that commit the same sin... That's your judgement not Gods seeping through, and you are prejudice.

If you are pro-life, you better be against capital punishment to even have a respectable argument. If not... Your just prejudice and I will no longer listen to you.

katiecrna

It's hard to define what is considered living and not yet living when we talk about a fetus. But there is no confusion when talking about an adult. When adults are put to death by capital punishment... This is murder. Deciding to end someone else's life.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pro-lifers are obsessed with these unborn babies and the fact that they are "murdered". Yet most pro-lifers believe in capital punishment. Murder is murder. People say... Well that unborn baby is innocent. I disagree, as the bible says we are all born with original sin.

Even using your definition, it is quite the stretch to compare an INNOCENT, unborn baby to an ADULT murderer ... who intentionally takes the life of another human being. The DP is THE ultimate protection against a person who has willfully committed the act of murder. Outside of death, they will always be a threat to society. What maniacal acts do you see the unborn or newborns carrying out?

katiecrna

You can go to prison for life without parole. There is no need to put anyone to death is my point. Its not about what the person is capable of doing, you cant predict that. That u born baby for all we know can grow up to be the second hitler. The point is if you believe Murder is wrong, then believe it in every sense of the meaning, not just ones YOU FEEL emotional about.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pro-lifers are obsessed with these unborn babies and the fact that they are "murdered".
What distinguishes obsession from strong opposition to the taking of life without moral or ethical justification?

Yet most pro-lifers believe in capital punishment.
I don't, but I can understand the distinction. The unborn haven't violated the compact in one of the extraordinary ways that allows for the abrogation of their right to being. Those sentenced to death have taken the one thing that can't be returned to the victim in any meaningful sense.

Murder is murder.
Right. And theft is theft, but not taxes, by way of distinction.

People say... Well that unborn baby is innocent.
Some do, in the moral sense, and some don't. But everyone understands the unborn have done nothing to warrant the divestment of right, if that right is established or, in the case of my argument, it is as likely as not that the right exists to be protected.

So why are people so obsessed with abortion but not capital punishment?
I don't believe most of those who protest abortion are obsessed with it any more than I'd describe ardent abolitionists in times past as being obsessed with slavery...though whether they are or aren't has literally nothing to do with whether they're right on the point.

Or murder in general. If people are so crazy against murder why do they think it's ok to buy and sell fire arms.
Because firearms are owned by all sorts of people. Most of them aren't used to murder anyone. Some of them are used to thwart murder and other criminal enterprise.

To be more exact... Military weapons.
A few of my neighbors and my father in law have military grade weapons. Have for years. As far as I know they haven't murdered anyone and don't plan to.

God never says in the bible one sin is worse than the other.
He does, but given the wages of sin is death, grace is required for each and every.

So if your super against one particular group of people that commit one particular type of sin more than other groups of people that commit the same sin... That's your judgement not Gods seeping through, and you are prejudice.
Whatever your motivation, if you defend the right you work a good. So maybe you give food and shelter to the poor to lay up treasures in heaven, and maybe you do it out of fear of failing what you believe is a moral obligation, or maybe you simply do so out of a sense of profound love and gratitude. In any event the poor find shelter and food.

If you are pro-life, you better be against capital punishment to even have a respectable argument.
I am but I don't agree that I'd have to be.

It's hard to define what is considered living and not yet living when we talk about a fetus.
It's complicated for many when we talk about right, but existence is fairly simple. It's what we do about existence that divides us. I'd say it's the willful, intentional clouding of the principle issue by those who desire to exercise the power of life and death over the unborn that invites confusion. The issue isn't really complicated.

But there is no confusion when talking about an adult. When adults are put to death by capital punishment... This is murder. Deciding to end someone else's life.
Only if you conflate killing with murder, but all killing isn't murder. Murder is a crime. Crimes are defined by statutes. That's one reason why I don't call abortion murder. I simply attack the wrongness of it, the contrary nature of it in relation to the right to exist, etc.

quip

BANNED
Banned
There's a blueprint. There's a process. And there's a result. The blueprint is not the process, nor the result. The process is not the blueprint or the result. And the result is not the blueprint or the process. And ignoring the fact that these are different phenomena doesn't magically make them one and the same phenomena warranting one and the same response from us.

DNA is the blueprint, not the human being. Fetal development is the process by which the blueprint manifests a human being, it is not the actualized human being. The human being is the result of the blueprint and the process. And just blindly insisting that they are all the same because that's the opinion you've decided on doesn't make any of these facts of the reality of it, go away, or become irrelevant.

I think you should own up to that. I think you should be honest enough to recognize that there are flaws in your reasoning and acknowledge them when they are pointed out to you. There's no logical reason not to, because once you acknowledge them you can discuss them, and perhaps find a better perspective and opinion on the issue.

Doesn't look like you're willing to do that, though.

By the same measure TH is asserting his sublime rational approach, he's equally compelled to rationally discern as much as possible on the subject at hand. Though, he can't lest his entire all-or-nothing approach gets compromised and is completely left exposed for autonomous debate...exactly what he's - conspicuously - insulating it from.

PureX

Pro-lifers are obsessed with these unborn babies and the fact that they are "murdered". Yet most pro-lifers believe in capital punishment. Murder is murder. People say... Well that unborn baby is innocent. I disagree, as the bible says we are all born with original sin. So why are people so obsessed with abortion but not capital punishment?
It's about the punishment. A lot of "pro-lifers" aren't particularly pro-life. They are particularly pro-punishment. Forcing women who have engaged in sex outside wedlock, or engaged in sex for fun (rather than procreation) is viewed by these people, I believe, as a form of punishment. And that's why many of the not especially pro-life "pro-lifers" don't want abortion to be made legal. They don't want those wanton women to be able to escape their just punishment.

If people are so crazy against murder why do they think it's ok to buy and sell fire arms. To be more exact... Military weapons.
Again, it's all about their love of punishment. Not their respect for life. Guns are a means of dishing out immediate and severe punishment. And these folks really like that idea. So they can't get enough of them. And they recommend them as a solution to all our crime problems. … Just buy a gun and shoot the criminals.

If you are pro-life, you better be against capital punishment to even have a respectable argument. If not... Your just prejudice and I will no longer listen to you.
That's just it. They aren't "pro-life", they are actually pro-punishment. Their main interest is in seeing anyone they consider to be overt and unrepentant "sinners", punished, and punished severely. They aren't particularly interested in the sanctity of a human life. They think we're all deserving of eternal damnation, anyway.

PureX

By the same measure TH is asserting his sublime rational approach, he's equally compelled to discern as much as possible on the subject at hand. Though, he can't lest his entire all-or-nothing approach gets compromised and is completely left exposed for autonomous debate...exactly what he's - conspicuously - insulating it from.
Yeah, it's a standard reaction from the 'absolutist' mind-set. It can't acknowledge any example of relativism. There can be no reasonable objection, and no reasonable alternative view. Because the right opinion has to be absolutely and unequivocally right.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
By the same measure TH is asserting his sublime rational approach,
While I do find rational argument and conclusion inspiring I'm a bit sorry to see too many find it little more than a thing to attempt to paint as something else and avoid.

he's equally compelled to discern as much as possible on the subject at hand.
That's a bit of a meaningless sentence, when you consider it. We understand the biological fact of existence. Right doesn't manifest itself empirically. At least there's no means that I've found or heard argued and demonstrated, nothing that yet meets my argument and answers it. So I'm not compelled to know "everything" any more than you appear compelled to meet the actual argument. I'm only compelled to have reasoned it as best I can, to present the argument and leave it open to examination and counter.

Though, he can't lest his entire all-or-nothing approach gets compromised
Assumptive nonsense or you could illustrate the knowledge that invalidates or alters the argument instead of spending most of your time trying your level best to give an impression of my case at odds with my actual approach. It isn't "my all or nothing case". It's simple, clear reason. At some point right exists and where it exists it is protected from our abrogation.

and is completely left exposed for autonomous debate...exactly what he's - conspicuously - insulating it from.
A really convoluted way of quip noting that he can't defeat the argument rationally and instead desires to leave the matter to a clash of subjective valuations and, eventually, a call to compromise on a point that reasonably shouldn't be.

quip

BANNED
Banned
It's simple, clear reason. At some point right exists and where it exists it is protected from our abrogation.

You're not establishing right..you're assuming it. Yes, indeed it's simple, simply focused on a conclusion by way of circumvented premise.

A really convoluted way of quip noting that he can't defeat the argument rationally and instead desires to leave the matter to a clash of subjective valuations and, eventually, a call to compromise on a point that reasonably shouldn't be.

I thought we were past the blustering part?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's a standard reaction from the 'absolutist' mind-set.
No, it's an argument from reason. What's absolutist about it aside from your rhetoric? I suppose you could say that I believe you have an absolute right to your life absent actions by you that abrogate it.

It can't acknowledge any example of relativism.
No, you mean value and apply it to a point where it doesn't belong. I recognize that all sorts of things are relative and many a thing certain. Your problem is that all you see is relativism. It's what leads you into hypocritical declarations and positions, as it did with Roe.

There can be no reasonable objection, and no reasonable alternative view.
Rather, I set the argument entirely to invite discourse and objection, to test it. Years later I'm mostly getting kill the messenger attempts like yours. That tells me I had at least one thing right as an atheist that remains true in my faithfulness.

Because the right opinion has to be absolutely and unequivocally right.
Rather, a conclusion is either demonstrably correct or demonstrably in error. If you can't illustrate the latter it's your problem.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're not establishing right..you're assuming it.
No, I'm not. I'm recognizing that we cannot abrogate at any point along that chain of being precisely because of the risk, not the certitude.

Yes, indeed it's simple, simply focused on a conclusion by way of circumvented premise.
That's a declaration, not a presentation of proof or argument. Beans, by way of equal answer.

I thought we were past the blustering part?
I keep hoping, but your sarcastic "sublime" and general approach, which as with Pure has mostly been an ongoing attempt to mischaracterize a point and the messenger. Doesn't leave me much to work with and it increasingly undermines my interest in treating either of you as other than hostile witnesses, so to speak.

quip

BANNED
Banned
No, I'm not. I'm recognizing that we cannot abrogate at any point along that chain of being precisely because of the risk, not the certitude.

:doh: Then wherefore the risks we are assuming? (Rhetorical)

Your assumption of rights lie in the implicit concern regarding their risk qua abrogation. You're talking yourself into a hole.

That's a declaration, not a presentation of proof or argument. Beans, by way of equal answer.
Of course it was...though you're free to answer it's presentation in the alternate thread.

I keep hoping, but your sarcastic "sublime" and general approach, which as with Pure has mostly been an ongoing attempt to mischaracterize a point and the messenger. Doesn't leave me much to work with and it increasingly undermines my interest in treating either of you as other than hostile witnesses, so to speak.

We - or at least me - are not hostile. Just intent to drive that stubborn nail home.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Your assumption of rights lie in the implicit concern regarding their risk qua abrogation.
That doesn't follow. The concern is a recognition that the right may as easily exist as not and that if it exists we are not entitled to abrogate it. It is unconscionable to assume the risk of injury if the aim of law is justice and the right which may exist is inviolate given the nature of the problem, there being no possible redress for the violation.

Looking at the problem from another angle...So there is a sheet hung at a distance. Either a child has been placed there or a child hasn't. I cannot know the answer. I have no more or less reason to assume the answer. Am I reasonably free to pull the trigger or should I, possessor of the law, be restrained from that action? I'd say that the reasonable answer is, absent certainty, I should refrain.

You're talking yourself into a hole.
If so I'll only end up standing on your head.

quip

BANNED
Banned
That doesn't follow. The concern is a recognition that the right may as easily exist as not and that if it exists we are not entitled to abrogate it.

Then the risk of abrogation is as easily dismissed as not....it's a subjective valuation.

It is unconscionable to assume the risk of injury if the aim of law is justice and the right which may exist is inviolate given the nature of the problem, there being no possible redress for the violation.

Given everything equal and established, no argument....as such you've yet to illustrate this beyond the hypothetical potentialities.

Looking at the problem from another angle...So there is a sheet hung at a distance. Either a child has been placed there or a child hasn't. I cannot know the answer. I have no more or less reason to assume the answer. Am I reasonably free to pull the trigger or should I, possessor of the law, be restrained from that action? I'd say that the reasonable answer is, absent certainty, I should refrain.

You're drawing parallels you've - again - yet to establish.

If so I'll only end up standing on your head.
LOL