A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) of the Jewish faith

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus mentions the "traditions of men". The Pharisees were determined to "add to" the LAW as much as possible. They even had a specific prayer to be recited while "eliminating" excrement.
I do not know how you have come to learn this.

Are you familiar with the following? See verse 9.

Mark 7:)1-13)
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

7 The P’rushim and some of the Torah-teachers who had come from Yerushalayim gathered together with Yeshua 2 and saw that some of his talmidim ate with ritually unclean hands, that is, without doing n’tilat-yadayim. 3 (For the P’rushim, and indeed all the Judeans, holding fast to the Tradition of the Elders, do not eat unless they have given their hands a ceremonial washing. 4 Also, when they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they have rinsed their hands up to the wrist; and they adhere to many other traditions, such as washing cups, pots and bronze vessels.)

5 The P’rushim and the Torah-teachers asked him, “Why don’t your talmidim live in accordance with the Tradition of the Elders, but instead eat with ritually unclean hands?” 6 Yeshua answered them, “Yesha‘yahu was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites — as it is written,

‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far away from me.
7 Their worship of me is useless,
because they teach man-made rules as if they were doctrines.’[a]
8 “You depart from God’s command and hold onto human tradition. 9 Indeed,” he said to them, “you have made a fine art of departing from God’s command in order to keep your tradition! 10 For Moshe said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and ‘Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.’[c] 11 But you say, ‘If someone says to his father or mother, “I have promised as a korban” ’ ” (that is, as a gift to God) “ ‘ “what I might have used to help you,” ’ 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or mother. 13 Thus, with your tradition which you had handed down to you, you nullify the Word of God! And you do other things like this.”

beameup

Are you familiar with the following? See verse 9.
Mark 7:)1-13)
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

I'm not into "Hebraic Roots" movement.

‘BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.' - Matthew 15:9
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.' - Mark 7:7

“Because this people draw near with their words [lips]
And honor Me with their lip service,
But they remove their hearts far from Me,
And their reverence for Me consists of tradition
[commandments of rulers] learned by rote*, - Isaiah 29:13
*prior to the written/printed Talmud

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I'm not into "Hebraic Roots" movement.

TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.' - Matthew 15:9
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.' - Mark 7:7

“Because this people draw near with their words [lips]
And honor Me with their lip service,
But they remove their hearts far from Me,
And their reverence for Me consists of tradition
[commandments of rulers] learned by rote*, - Isaiah 29:13
*prior to the written/printed Talmud
I am Jewish and Christian.

You don't have to be into "Hebraic Roots" movement. To be honest, I don't know what it is.

I am more Jewish than Messianic. I do believe that Yeshua is the Messiah.

What is your favorite Bible translation? I usually use four different translations in studying the Torah, though I grew up with the NASB.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Those of the Jewish faith don't accept atonement by Jesus.
You are incorrect. Many Jews have accepted Yeshua as the Messiah. In fact, it is in Judaism that there was the expectation of the Messiah who was to come, Yeshua. But your study of scripture and atonement in Jesus can continue. It is important to accept all of scripture, and this includes the writings or scriptures we call New Testament, or the New Testament (the New Testament Scriptures / Writings). What scripture says may not be exactly what someone or Christian doctrine says or states, but hopefully you can do your own study to find out what it says.

beameup

I am Jewish and Christian.

You don't have to be into "Hebraic Roots" movement. To be honest, I don't know what it is.

To be honest with you, Judaism died with the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D.
There are some recent congregations that teach (wrongly) that you must practice "Judaism"
in order to be a better "Christian". These are often called the "Hebrew Roots" movement.
It's just the "latest fad", as there is no scriptural justification for this. Jews consider themselves "Jews" based upon their DNA, regardless of what they "believe" or don't "believe".

chair

To be honest with you, Judaism died with the destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D.
There are some recent congregations that teach (wrongly) that you must practice "Judaism"
in order to be a better "Christian". These are often called the "Hebrew Roots" movement.
It's just the "latest fad", as there is no scriptural justification for this. Jews consider themselves "Jews" based upon their DNA, regardless of what they "believe" or don't "believe".

Like many on this forum, you do not understand what Jews are or what Judaism is. Jews are a nation. Judaism is the religion of the Jews. Judaism is not a "faith" like Christianity. To convert to Judaism means joining the Jewish nation, not just accepting a "faith".

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

There are two ways to be a Jew. One is to be born a Jew. The other is to convert to Judaism. Either way we are to observe God's commands, observe Torah, be a part of God's covenant people and observe the covenant the Ten Commandments (there are 613 commandments in Torah), and with the new covenant for the house of Israel and the house of Judah God's law is written on hearts and minds.

Judaism doesn't make a Christian a better Christian. But it is good if you are a Christian and of Israel to observe God's commands, all of them. With the destruction of the temple in AD 70 we do not have sacrifice as it was to be done in the temple. But there was sacrifice after Jesus Christ ascended to the right hand of God (see Acts and the apostle Paul). It is possible, as I see it, that there will one day be another temple, even possibly Ezekiel's temple which has yet to come to be (see Ezekiel 40-48) where sacrifice will again take place.

TweetyBird

Like many on this forum, you do not understand what Jews are or what Judaism is. Jews are a nation. Judaism is the religion of the Jews. Judaism is not a "faith" like Christianity. To convert to Judaism means joining the Jewish nation, not just accepting a "faith".

Would you also say that just saying one is a Jew does not make them a Jew? or that believing in Jesus makes one a Jew? Have you ever heard of anyone making a conversion to be Jewish/Judaism that would accept their belief in Jesus? What do you think of Christians promoting and accepting the Talmud as part of their religious practices?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Many Jews have accepted Yeshua as the Messiah.

Yeah, a whole whopping 2% of them :plain:

The Muslims are more in tune with Jesus than the Jews.

And yet, the 'Messianic Jews' you MADists are so obsessed with over in Israel are exactly that :rolleyes:

Messianic Judaism is a 'syncretist' movement- they practice both. But you all chalk it up as merely 'practicing their culture' like that's supposed to account for the inconsistency of your own belief.

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, a whole whopping 2% of them :plain:

The Muslims are more in tune with Jesus than the Jews.
Judaism and Christianity are both true. Yeshua is the Messiah in Judaism. He is called the Christ in Christianity. It is also true that Christians call Him (Jesus) the Messiah (as well). There would be no Christianity if not for Judaism. Christianity is also not a new religion.

Lilstu

WOW! That was some under taking. I appreciate your effort. How foolish to believe that anyone could keep all of that law.

But Moses said Israel could keep it...
11 “For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it. { Deut 30 ]

There must have been some people who kept it
Here's a list of people who are called "just" or "righteous" in the Bible:

Matthew 1:19 (Joseph)
Luke 2:25 (Simeon)
Luke 23:50 (Joseph of Arimathea)
Matthew 13:17 (many righteous men)
Luke 1:6 (Elizabeth and Zechariah)
2 Peter 2:7 (Lot)
Job 1:1, 1:8, and 2:3 (Job)
Mark 6:20 (John the Baptist)
Hebrews 11:4 (Abel)
Genesis 6:9 (Noah)

TweetyBird

But Moses said Israel could keep it...
11 “For this commandment which I command you today is not too difficult for you, nor is it out of reach. 12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will go up to heaven for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 13 Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross the sea for us to get it for us and make us hear it, that we may observe it?’ 14 But the word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may observe it. { Deut 30 ]

I think your version is problematic. God did not say it's not too difficult for you. He said it was not hidden from them, not across the sea, or in the Heavens - that is contextually how to translate the word.

God said that Israel would not keep the Law before Moses could finish writing.

There must have been some people who kept it
Here's a list of people who are called "just" or "righteous" in the Bible:

Matthew 1:19 (Joseph)
Luke 2:25 (Simeon)
Luke 23:50 (Joseph of Arimathea)
Matthew 13:17 (many righteous men)
Luke 1:6 (Elizabeth and Zechariah)
2 Peter 2:7 (Lot)
Job 1:1, 1:8, and 2:3 (Job)
Mark 6:20 (John the Baptist)
Hebrews 11:4 (Abel)
Genesis 6:9 (Noah)

Noah did not have the Law of Moses. Those who believed the promise and believed in faith were found righteous. Lots of people kept the Law who were not found righteous.Both those who tried and those who did not keep the law still sinned against the Law which is why they had to sacrifice animals for their sins. It was always a matter of the heart with the Lord.

Lilstu

1. Oddly enough, God thought people could keep them. See Deuteronomy 30. Is your god foolish? Mine isn't.
2. How many federal laws are there in the USA? How many State laws? How many city ordinances? Many thousands, I expect. Are people expected to obey them?
3. Which specific laws in the list would you not be able to obey?

King David was a sinner. But God loved him and will resurrect him.