You just won $100,000 in the lottery. What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csuguy

Pay off my student loans and then move to New York or Israel so I can learn to speak Hebrew fluently and hopefully somehow get into an Orthodox Jewish Seminary ;)

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Hate to burst your bubble but isn't most of the third world already Christian? And those regions that aren't Christian are mainly Muslim? (in which case that 100k might not pay for enough protection for a preacher). Helping out is all very nice though
I think most of Latin America could be considered Christian, though to me it looks a lot more like Catholicism mixed with whatever native religions were around. You're right, though, the most Christ-deprived countries are dominated by Islam, as well as Buddhism and Hinduism. I'm not sure which route I'd take with only 100,000.

BTW, when it comes to the kind of culture that is outside the realm of faith, I'm much more interested in learning from than teaching foreigners. I don't believe my ethnicity is superior at all.

Last edited:

The Berean

Pay off my student loans and then move to New York or Israel so I can learn to speak Hebrew fluently and hopefully somehow get into an Orthodox Jewish Seminary ;)

Or you can move in with elohyim! He would probably charge far less than a Orthodox Jewish Seminary. :think:

unknown

Funny you should ask..........

vette.jpg

No Sheep Here

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2010 01:02 PM

toldailytopic: You just won $100,000 in the lottery. How do you plan to spend it?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
I'd donate it all to charity.

taikoo

Do you fight against the cultural imperialism of the idiots in Hollywood? Surely, they have much more global influence than little ol me and a book will ever have! If you simply don't like my God, well then that's another matter altogether. Only my God could motivate a selfish jerk like me to want to help, which you say is nice.

No, I guess I dont, I really dont know how i could fight hollywood! Sure agree about it not being a good thing.

I didnt say I "dont like your god". That is another matter, for sure!

As for myself, I am motivated to help others out of empathy. But I dont care so much what reason a person may have, its what you do that counts, dont you think?

Now that you are thinking about it, maybe you will come up with something you can do. Dont let the best be enemy to good enough!

As in dont wait for a lottery before you do anything at all.

Good luck, and its cool that your first thought is to do for others.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2010 01:02 PM

toldailytopic: You just won $100,000 in the lottery. How do you plan to spend it?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Hobby farm

OMEGA

Don't give the Government anything until they demand it of you.

First, I would invest in some real good stocks and more than

Triple the amount of money = $300,000 Plus and go on a round the world trip

and then move to South America with all my money in a Swiss Bank.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hate to burst your bubble but isn't most of the third world already Christian? And those regions that aren't Christian are mainly Muslim? (in which case that 100k might not pay for enough protection for a preacher). Helping out is all very nice though
100,000 can buy a pretty nice gun.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Does anyone else suspect the entire point of this OP was to see how long it would take someone to write:

"I'm going to Disneyland!"

:think:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
No, I guess I dont, I really dont know how i could fight hollywood! Sure agree about it not being a good thing.

I didnt say I "dont like your god". That is another matter, for sure!

As for myself, I am motivated to help others out of empathy. But I dont care so much what reason a person may have, its what you do that counts, dont you think?

Now that you are thinking about it, maybe you will come up with something you can do. Dont let the best be enemy to good enough!

As in dont wait for a lottery before you do anything at all.

Good luck, and its cool that your first thought is to do for others.
To me, it's not just what you do that counts. It's also who it is you're serving when you do such things: For yourself? No, you won't derive enough joy to sustain your service if it is done out of self-interest. For other people? Other people will always let you down, so that cannot be a long-term motivator either. For God? Yes! He rewards you with enough peace, grace, and joy to sustain your service and will never let you down.

I'm still thinking about the imperialism thing. Last night, I listened to an old friend of mine talk about missionary work in China. Although she doesn't realize it, I guess she is, in a way, serving American imperialism by being an ambassador of America as well as of Christ. That's because she has to present herself as an American student and businesswoman to get around easier. Well, the Chinese already ignorantly think of us as a Christian nation. We shouldn't be trying to make America look better, we should want to make Christ look better for God's glory. Perhaps I'm being too critical of her. In fact, I know I am.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.