Why Don't the Liberals Want a Wall?

Kit the Coyote

It looks like Trump and the GOP are starting to blink.

He now backed off his demand for $5.7 Billion for the wall and is just asking for an unspecified 'down payment'.
It seems GOP Senators confronted VP Pence and demanded that the shutdown must end.
In the test votes on the two sides bills today, six GOP senators defected to vote for the Democrat bill.
Trump caved over the State of the Union issue.

genuineoriginal

It looks like Trump and the GOP are starting to blink.

He now backed off his demand for $5.7 Billion for the wall and is just asking for an unspecified 'down payment'.
You don't seem to realize how negotiations are handled.

Ten Tips for Negotiating in 2019

6. Aim high and expect the best outcome. Successful negotiators are optimists. If you expect more, you'll get more. A proven strategy for achieving higher results is opening with an extreme position. Sellers should ask for more than they expect to receive, and buyers should offer less than they are prepared to pay. People who aim higher do better. Your optimism will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Conversely, if you have low expectations, you will probably wind up with a less satisfying outcome.

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
Why didn't Thump get funding for the wall during the first 2 years of his administration when he had a Republican-led House of Representatives to work with???

The majority of this country doesn't want the wall- Pelosi is standing up for that majority.

Trying to separate an entire continent with a 2000 mile wall?
That makes this country look both insecure and stupid, and on its own doesn't do jack. Nobody is going to venture through desert and just turn away at a wall LOL.
It's nonsense.

This whole idea is Trump wanting to leave a physical reminder of his Presidency. It has nothing to do with anything; look at how it was supposed to be a 'national emergency', which suddenly changed when a bunch of high school kids went up against black supremacists and wannabe commies.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
This whole idea is Trump wanting to leave a physical reminder of his Presidency.

I doubt it's even that President Chump wants to build a wall across the entire border with Mexico in order to leave a physical reminder of his Presidency. I think he's just using the wall as a political football. He used it to get elected and then did nothing to make it happen for 2 years. He waited until the Democrats took control of the House before he decided to hold the government hostage unless he gets funding to build the wall. Well, why didn't he bother to get funding from Congress before now? Obviously it was never a real priority for him to begin with. He's only using it to play politics and further divide the public along hot-button political lines. What's lame is that it is Thump's own supporters who are being played by him, and they don't even realize it.

Kit the Coyote

You don't seem to realize how negotiations are handled.

Ten Tips for Negotiating in 2019

6. Aim high and expect the best outcome. Successful negotiators are optimists. If you expect more, you'll get more. A proven strategy for achieving higher results is opening with an extreme position. Sellers should ask for more than they expect to receive, and buyers should offer less than they are prepared to pay. People who aim higher do better. Your optimism will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Conversely, if you have low expectations, you will probably wind up with a less satisfying outcome.

Yes but that doesn't apply to the other points. It seems the statement by the ATC union that the ATC system is on the verge of breaking down and the FAA starting to close airports was the final straw.

Rosenritter

Now you're moving the goalposts.

Rosey's question was this:

A wall is inherently neither good nor bad.

A border wall is a good thing, but can easily be used by wicked people for wicked things.

An example of this would be the Berlin wall.

Hello Frog, welcome to Pot.

glorydaz

The majority of this country doesn't want the wall- Pelosi is standing up for that majority.

Trying to separate an entire continent with a 2000 mile wall?
That makes this country look both insecure and stupid, and on its own doesn't do jack. Nobody is going to venture through desert and just turn away at a wall LOL.
It's nonsense.

This whole idea is Trump wanting to leave a physical reminder of his Presidency. It has nothing to do with anything; look at how it was supposed to be a 'national emergency', which suddenly changed when a bunch of high school kids went up against black supremacists and wannabe commies.

Yeah right. Except that politicians from both sides have pushed some kind of border wall for years. :chuckle:

Kit the Coyote

Yeah right. Except that politicians from both sides have pushed some kind of border wall for years. :chuckle:

The key words here being 'some kind'. It is a mistake to equate all past efforts to provide barriers where they were needed with what Trump was advocating in his campaign.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
no point in reading past this

sorry :idunno:

Fair enough...here is the post sans mockery:

I doubt it's even that President Trump wants to build a wall across the entire border with Mexico in order to leave a physical reminder of his Presidency. I think he's just using the wall as a political football. He used it to get elected and then did nothing to make it happen for 2 years. He waited until the Democrats took control of the House before he decided to hold the federal government hostage unless he gets funding to build the wall. Well, why didn't he bother to get funding from Congress before now? Obviously it was never a real priority for him to begin with. He's only using it to play politics and further divide the public along hot-button political lines. What's lame is that it is Trump's own supporters who are being played by him, and they don't even realize it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

I doubt it's even that President Trump wants to build a wall across the entire border with Mexico in order to leave a physical reminder of his Presidency. I think he's just using the wall as a political football. He used it to get elected and then did nothing to make it happen for 2 years. He waited until the Democrats took control of the House before he decided to hold the federal government hostage unless he gets funding to build the wall. Well, why didn't he bother to get funding from Congress before now? Obviously it was never a real priority for him to begin with. He's only using it to play politics and further divide the public along hot-button political lines. What's lame is that it is Trump's own supporters who are being played by him, and they don't even realize it.

it's understandable why some find it easy to read it that way

and it was inevitable that, once a member of the swamp, trump would take on the persona of a swamp-dweller

ok doser

Apparently "ok doser" chooses to forget that Trump was quite specific when it came to promising that Mexico would pay for (the wall)

no, i didn't forget that

i didn't think that's what kit was referring to

[MENTION=20825]Kit the Coyote[/MENTION] - were you referring to the "mexico will pay for it" part?

ok doser

i think we're all going to regret that we didn't just compromise on DACA and move forward