White Privilege

Danoh

It must have been a shock when you found out that your ideals of "white superiority" was a fiction.

Not at all. For to paraphrase one of your signature lines: in that very moment, I found myself easily able both to read and to confront myself with what my own thoughts had clearly written of me - that, clearly: I held some sort of a white supremacist attitude of some sort towards some within our culture.

The institutionalized attitude mentioned earlier in this thread.

At the same time, I do not view any human being as superior to me - we each have our strengths and weaknesses.

And I found both in myself that day.

Sort of like those different sides in that serenity prayer the AAs are ever going on about, but different.

For I found I had the serenity to accept the obvious change I needed to make, and that I had the ease of courage to get to work doing so, and the wisdom to know when I had done just that.

Personally, I found that finding about myself fascinating.

This is how things go when one is ever fascinated about the things that differ in all phases of life - not just in Scripture.

I found myself, not feeling guilty, or what have you, but instead fascinated about this side of me I had not been previously so aware of.

I found it a moment of insight...and of time for reflection...and for working on my renewing of my mind to that of a more good and acceptable and thus perfect or whole frame of reference towards others in general.

I'm sharing all this here, but it was a very personal "man in the mirror" moment; a significantly impacting one.

genuineoriginal

Right now we have a problem of "liberal privilege" in the North American universities (Canada and USA).

So you're now telling us that liberals are superior to conservatives?

Of course liberals are superior to conservatives in North American universities. (I am assuming you noticed the specific locations where "liberal privilege" is in place.)
Liberals have taken over the North American universities to the point that conservatives are being oppressed by the liberals on campus.

That does not mean that Liberal philosophy or ideals are superior.
It only means that liberals are superior at making North American universities into unsafe spaces for conservatives.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian chuckles:
As you learned, the resume project showed that white privilege remains a problem in America.

I already proved to you that the resume project was based on a false interpretation of the results by the bigoted researchers.

Rather, you already demonstrated your unwillingness to face the facts, and your attempt to shift your guilt to others.

Why do you keep trying to say that white superiority is a problem in the USA?

Why do you keep trying to justify your problem? Instead of lying about what was said, it would be better for you to confront your own issues and learn from the experience.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Of course liberals are superior to conservatives in North American universities.

You've fallen for a logical fallacy there. Here's a hint:

"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it."

John Stuart Mill

Liberals aren't innately superior to conservatives; they are disproportionately represented among Noble Laureates, inventors, and people of academic distinction not because they were initially liberal, but because such people tend to become more liberal over time.

It only means that liberals are superior at making North American universities into unsafe spaces for conservatives.

So you're advocating safe places for conservatives who are "oppressed" by hearing liberal ideas? You really are a conservative, aren't you?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You've fallen for a logical fallacy there. Here's a hint:

"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it."

John Stuart Mill
J. S. Mill was a classical liberal, meaning each person had the right to make it on his own and no government should impede on his freedom to impede his succeed by his own ability and own as much property as he was able, and should not tax him/her.

Today, he would be an Arch Capitalist.

popsthebuilder

It is puzzling they have such self loathing attitudes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TOL mobile app
It isn't hatred of self to dislike such a false phrase as white privilege.

I am a 36 year old white male. And would really love to know what privilege I have ever attained that wasn't more readily available to a "minority" than myself.

I have broken my body in order to attempt to provide a sound, stress free, upbringing and life for my children.

The term is asinine. Special privilege and handouts are for the "minorities" the ones really struggling. White men are expected to go and do and succeed with no assistance help or hand out.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
J. S. Mill was a classical liberal, meaning each person had the right to make it on his own and no government should impede on his freedom to impede his succeed by his own ability and own as much property as he was able, and should not tax him/her.

Today, he would be an Arch Capitalist.

Liberalism changes over time, but conservatism pretty much stays where it is. Mill was what we would call "libertarian" to day. Mill certainly was not an Anarcho-capitalist:

What, then, is the rightful limit to the sovereignty of the individual over himself? Where does the authority of society begin? How much of human life should be assigned to individuality, and how much to society?

Each will receive its proper share, if each has that which more particularly concerns it. To individuality should belong the part of life in which it is chiefly the individual that is interested; to society, the part which chiefly interests society.

Though society is not founded on a contract, and though no good purpose is answered by inventing a contract in order to deduce social obligations from it, every one who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit, and the fact of living in society renders it indispensable that each should be bound to observe a certain line of conduct towards the rest. This conduct consists first, in not injuring the interests of one another; or rather certain interests, which, either by express legal provision or by tacit understanding, ought to be considered as rights; and secondly, in each person’s bearing his share (to be fixed on some equitable principle) of the labours and sacrifices incurred for defending the society or its members from injury and molestation. These conditions society is justified in enforcing at all costs to those who endeavour to withhold fulfilment. Nor is this all that society may do. The acts of an individual may be hurtful to others, or wanting in due consideration for their welfare, without going the length of violating any of their constituted rights. The offender may then be justly punished by opinion, though not by law

John Stuart Mill: On Liberty

mill.jpeg

Mill endorsed the right of workers to unionize and collectively bargain with employers. He was simply a capitalist who took capitalism to its logical conclusion. Few conservatives and fewer businessmen are truly advocates of free enterprise.

genuineoriginal

Barbarian chuckles:
As you learned, the resume project showed that white privilege remains a problem in America.
Rather, you already demonstrated your unwillingness to face the facts, and your attempt to shift your guilt to others.
Did the resumes state the color of the applicant's skin? NO, therefore the results of the resume project has nothing to do with skin color.
If you think otherwise, you are a racist.

genuineoriginal

Liberals aren't innately superior to conservatives; they are disproportionately represented among Noble Laureates, inventors, and people of academic distinction
It is funny you mention the Nobel prize in a thread about white privilege/superiority.
How many of the Nobel laureates have white skin?
193dwhc456h3kpng.png

193dwi1rk2trwjpg.jpg

Most of the Nobel laureates are from white dominant countries.
1000px-European_Ancestry_Large.svg.png

You really are a conservative, aren't you?
That depends on what you mean by conservative.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
In the 20th century, Europeans dominated learning. But prior to about 1300, Africans and Asians were dominant, and Europe was an intellectual backwater. You're puffing up your chest only because you're ignorant of the past.

This is why so much of chemistry, astronomy, and mathematics have Arabic foundations.

Barbarian chuckles:
So you're advocating safe places for conservatives who are "oppressed" by hearing liberal ideas? You really are a conservative, aren't you?

That depends on what you mean by conservative.

Snowflakes like you, for example.

ClimateSanity

So you're now telling us that liberals are superior to conservatives?

One of the problems with making things up as you go, is that your argument goes places you'd rather it not go.
He is telling us there is an intolerance for anything but the liberal point of view. Try being a college professor. Try working for mainstream news media. Try working in high tech and silicon valley. Try doing business with Google or Facebook or YouTube if you violate any liberal standards.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
He is telling us there is an intolerance for anything but the liberal point of view.

Wherever conservatives can get control, they show an intolerance for anything but a conservative point of view. So this looks more like projection than anything else.

Try being a college professor.

Never got to be a professor. But I know a lot of them on the right.

Try working for mainstream news media.

Like Fox News?

Try working in high tech and silicon valley.

Well, that's true. But remember, these guys are very bright innovators and venture capitalists who are after all innovating and making new products and services, so it's kind of unreasonable to expect them to be conservative.

MarcATL

White privilege is simply acknowledging the fact that being white gives one privileges not afforded to any non-white person. Nothing more, nothing less.

This thread is a slight of hand that is used and works on the dumb, the simple and the dishonest that are seeking a way to run away from that fact.

Whites have this belief that they earned everything good that happened to them by their sheer might and righteousness. They like to pretend that centuries of slavery, Jim Crow and racist policies has absolutely nothing to do with their success today. Only a fool or a dishonest cretin would or could believe such a thing.

And that's all there is to say about that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MarcATL

The alt-right doesn't understand the concept of white privilege. It's not about being ashamed of being born white, and no one is looking for any white princesses to apologize for being white - that's an alt-right straw man, and they do love to pummel that straw man. Feels good to take their aggressions out on it, I guess.

White privilege is institutional. There are a number of ways to refine the definition, but it's about possessing a cultural advantage in one sense, wearing a cultural immunity in another sense. Most important, it's an all but invisible advantage to those who possess it because they've rarely thought about their societal advantages. And for those who protest the most loudly about refusing to "apologize for being white" - for them it is the most invisible, and they would benefit the most from even a small amount of understanding of what it's like to move through our society as a person of color, both in the past and in the present.
Very well said. As I stated before, this thread and sentiments like it are a slight of hand. And that's putting it in the nicest and mildest way possible.

MarcATL

Actually, it is. When the economics of black family life make it much harder to stay in school, when the funding levels of black schools make the education that they provide much less valuable than that of white schools, when the rates of acceptance into higher education and better employment make seeking an advanced degree less valuable for black people, then it actually is a case of white privilege.
Thank you.