White Lives Matter

Arthur Brain

We don't look at as lives lost, we look at it as Freedom Defended (even though the war was over).

Sounds an incredibly stupid decision to continue fighting then, although I suspect that decision was made by tinpot generals behind the lines to send men into their deaths in a pointless manner.

fool

Hall of Fame
Sounds an incredibly stupid decision to continue fighting then, although I suspect that decision was made by tinpot generals behind the lines to send men into their deaths in a pointless manner.

No one knew the war was over.
What do you learn about the Battle Of New Orleans in the UK schools?

Arthur Brain

No one knew the war was over.
What do you learn about the Battle Of New Orleans in the UK schools?

Makes it all the more tragic then. I've no idea what schools teach about it over here. Left school nearly thirty years ago although I doubt it's high on the curriculum.

fool

Hall of Fame
the british see the war of 1812 as a minor aspect of the napoleonic wars that were convulsing europe

They burned down The White House.
Wasn't a minor aspect to us.
I mean The White House for cryin out loud.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That part of the song that tells about the British wearing red, stepping high, and beating drums, reminded me of an old skit by Bill Cosby.
He was imagining a coin flip before battles, like in a football game where the winning flip gets to determine the advantage.
He pictured that the coin flip before the battle of the British went like this ....

TAILS - your call Merica.

We will dress in anything from burlap to animal hides,
We will attack from behind rocks, atop trees, and from ditches; with rifles, arrows, pitchforks, and sling shots.

You must wear bright red, march in a straight line, and beat loudly on drums wherever you go.

:chuckle:

eider

No, freely admit history was never my strongest subject or area of interest really.

The 1812-14 war never got a mention in history O-level lessons, but C.S.Forester's 'Age of Fighting Sail' brought the sea conflict into sharp focus, never to be forgotten.

The escape of the Frigate President through the huge British Blockade in a snow storm and the resulting days long pursuit is the most amazing tale to be read. And that frigate action Constitution -v- Java in the South Atlantic.... etc....

C.S.Forester's best work, I reckon....