What happens when Muslims get fired for refusing to do their job?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So why do you suppose the government stood on the side of these employees when they didn't stand with Kim Davis?

I see Kim Davis as the equivalent of an employee who refuses to perform all of her required job duties.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I feel sorry for the folks that didn't have their beer delivered.
What the hell is the world coming to!!!!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I see Kim Davis as the equivalent of an employee who refuses to perform all of her required job duties.
That's true but that doesn't answer my my question.

I asked...

Why do you suppose the government stood on the side of the Muslim employees when they didn't stand with Kim Davis?

Quetzal

I asked...

Why do you suppose the government stood on the side of the Muslim employees when they didn't stand with Kim Davis?
I feel like we are missing a part of the story. Something is sticking me in the side on this one.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I feel sorry for the folks that didn't have their beer delivered.
What the hell is the world coming to!!!!

let them eat cake

I asked...

because bammy doesn't have to worry about being reelected?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Fear. Political Correctness. Whatever their reason, they are wrong.

glorydaz

I don't buy that. That aside, there is something else here. We just don't know about it.

Just because you don't buy it doesn't mean it's not the bottom line. You're looking for some special circumstance because you can't believe it would be something so simple.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What if the beer . . . oh forget that.

What if it was wine coolers and a muslim refused to deliver it to a gay wedding?
An invite to the White House where Obama can present them with a new crisp linen rainbow flag?

GuySmiley

An invite to the White House where Obama can present them with a new crisp linen rainbow flag?
Doesn't it seem like Muslims are even higher on the liberal ladder than even gays? Why are those two groups, which are so opposed to each other, so revered by liberals? It seems the only thing in common is hatred of Christianity.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So why do you suppose the government stood on the side of these employees when they didn't stand with Kim Davis?
Because the two cases are fundamentally different, I expect, though I don't agree with the ruling. In the case of the bakers they were denying customers a service they held out to the general public, using their religious conviction to discriminate in a way that had no relation to a legitimate business practice. The Muslim truckers weren't discriminating against any particular class of people by refusing to move beer. You could say they were discriminating against every class, which then isn't discrimination, only an invitation to be fired.

See, it ultimately isn't about your religious conviction, but what you're doing under the umbrella of it.

That said, I'd appeal the boneheaded decision. Unless there's something in the employment contract that gives latitude to the drivers, not being willing to do your job should be sufficient grounds for firing them for cause. In my state you can fire someone for any reason (at will) provided the reason isn't violative of right (discriminatory in nature). So, absent a provision of an employment contract to the contrary or the prior stipulation on discrimination, I can fire you because it's Wednesday and I feel like a good firing. :thumb:

And if workers get tired of that latitude they can unionize.

glorydaz

Because the two cases are fundamentally different, I expect, though I don't agree with the ruling. In the case of the bakers they were denying customers a service they held out to the general public, using their religious conviction to discriminate in a way that had no relation to a legitimate business practice. The Muslim truckers weren't discriminating against any particular class of people by refusing to move beer. You could say they were discriminating against every class, which then isn't discrimination, only an invitation to be fired.

See, it ultimately isn't about your religious conviction, but what you're doing under the umbrella of it.

That said, I'd appeal the boneheaded decision. Unless there's something in the employment contract that gives latitude to the drivers, not being willing to do your job should be sufficient grounds for firing them for cause. In my state you can fire someone for any reason (at will) provided the reason isn't violative of right (discriminatory in nature). So, absent a provision of an employment contract to the contrary or the prior stipulation on discrimination, I can fire you because it's Wednesday and I feel like a good firing. :thumb:

And if workers get tired of that latitude they can unionize.

Spoil sport. :mmph: