What are the main challenges facing Mankind today?

Quetzal

Hysterical. Whose saying not to study the matter? I'm all for studying, and we've already begun a century's long experiment and we're now seeing the first result's coming in and its darn exciting!
Evidence that our planet will become uninhabitable in the near future is exciting to you?

And your seeing the data and your thinking, "We'd better stop this experiment immediately and never ever ever ever ever do it again."
What experiment? What are you talking about? Be specific.

If we are looking at another ice age in the coming decade's, like looking down the barrel of a gun, I'm going to feel much better that we've got some ammunition to throw at that thing,...
Get off this ice age kick, that is not what the data is telling us. Further... your comparison doesn't make sense because you are unconvinced there is a problem, you have said this countless times. Pick a side, Senator!

We've now confirmed that we can raise the temperature on earth. Anywhere from low single digit's to maybe even ten degree's. That could be just what we need to avoid the next ice age. And here we would have never known how to address an ice age, without this massive, century-long experiment of our's.
We were able to raise the temperature on the earth on accident. You think we produced cars, factories, and all of these other sources of pollution with the sole intent of making the earth warmer? No scientist with half a brain would want to make an already (relatively) stable climate warmer because they understand the consequences of those actions. You don't understand either, despite the evidence sitting right in front of you.

Quetzal

What, drought's are a new thing, man-made climate change cause's extended drought's? Come on. Jacob had to move down to Joseph in Egypt because of extended drought. We also --amazingly --in the same story, see exactly how Joseph managed extended drought's --he stocked food for them in advance. Thats how you managed them then, and thats how you manage them now.

What about those who don't prepare for the extended drought? You prepare for them. We should have seven year's worth of imperishable food for every human being at the ready at all time's. We can't afford to have people starve to death anymore. Its unconscionable.

Hunger. Thats a main challenge facing us today.

DJ
Are you kidding me?! So the data indicating a rising global temperature and a drought are just a coincidence? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because no one can be that dense unless they are doing so on purpose.

chair

What, drought's are a new thing, man-made climate change cause's extended drought's? Come on. Jacob had to move down to Joseph in Egypt because of extended drought. We also --amazingly --in the same story, see exactly how Joseph managed extended drought's --he stocked food for them in advance. Thats how you managed them then, and thats how you manage them now.

What about those who don't prepare for the extended drought? You prepare for them. We should have seven year's worth of imperishable food for every human being at the ready at all time's. We can't afford to have people starve to death anymore. Its unconscionable.

Hunger. Thats a main challenge facing us today.

DJ

I haven't said it was man-made. But climate change is here, along with its social ramifications.

PureX

Are you kidding me?! So the data indicating a rising global temperature and a drought are just a coincidence? I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because no one can be that dense unless they are doing so on purpose.
I suspect that you're encountering the "O'Reilly" syndrome. That is a person who is so invested in playing the verbal gladiator that they can't engage in a dialogue seeking reason or truth.

bybee

I suspect that you're encountering the "O'Reilly" syndrome. That is a person who is so invested in playing the verbal gladiator that they can't engage in a dialogue seeking reason or truth.

The old story of the pot and the kettle.
You drip with bias and accuse others of the same.

Quetzal

The old story of the pot and the kettle.
You drip with bias and accuse others of the same.
It is true, we all have a bias. I will speak for myself as to why this is frustrating.

In other topics here on TOL, most of them have an ethical/moral argument. These arguments are abstract and are the product of various sources. These discussions are fun for that reason, different people have different experiences that make up their position.

This kind of discussion is a bit different. There isn't a moral argument to be made here. The climate is either changing or it isn't. Data and scientific evidence suggests that it is, and it is doing so in a violent way. So much, in fact, that many of the industries leading voices are warning that it will get worse. What frustrates me is that in the face of such evidence, there is still resistance. Further, this resistance is not based on anything. The argument ends with "Oh, it's a hoax."

What a selfish, risky gamble. We can either invest a fraction of our budget to contribute to a solution/alternative or we can pretend it isn't happening and ruin this place for our future generations. It baffles my mind.

Quetzal

When has the climate ever been unchanging?
A great point, however, what we are talking about is an accelerated change that is causing violent repercussions. These accelerated changes are due to our reckless use of toxic materials.

bybee

It is true, we all have a bias. I will speak for myself as to why this is frustrating.

In other topics here on TOL, most of them have an ethical/moral argument. These arguments are abstract and are the product of various sources. These discussions are fun for that reason, different people have different experiences that make up their position.

This kind of discussion is a bit different. There isn't a moral argument to be made here. The climate is either changing or it isn't. Data and scientific evidence suggests that it is, and it is doing so in a violent way. So much, in fact, that many of the industries leading voices are warning that it will get worse. What frustrates me is that in the face of such evidence, there is still resistance. Further, this resistance is not based on anything. The argument ends with "Oh, it's a hoax."

What a selfish, risky gamble. We can either invest a fraction of our budget to contribute to a solution/alternative or we can pretend it isn't happening and ruin this place for our future generations. It baffles my mind.

I agree with you. My yard has become a patch of weeds because I refuse to use toxic chemicals.
It is the manner in which some folks choose to express themselves with which I disagree.
Keeping in mind my own tendency to abrasive retorts whenever I feel it necessary!:argue:

PureX

Besides the considerable facts brought to light by science, there is the simple, basic, logic of reason. I understand that not everyone can grasp the science involved, but anyone can grasp basic reasoning, if they are willing. And in this case it seems clear to me that the poster is not only unwilling, but employs deliberately irrational and dishonest methods of counter-reasoning to obfuscate and deny common sense.

At that point their position becomes disingenuous, and there is no further reason to engage in the dialogue, unless perhaps it's for the sake of the 'onlookers'. That's why I mentioned the "O'Reilly Syndrome". Because it's clear that the dialogue is not being engaged in honestly, or with the intent of seeking any understanding or relative truth, but only for the sake of the contention, itself. Which serves no positive purpose.

bybee

Besides the considerable facts brought to light by science, there is the simple, basic, logic of reason. I understand that not everyone can grasp the science involved, but anyone can grasp basic reasoning, if they are willing. And in this case it seems clear to me that the poster is not only unwilling, but employs deliberately irrational and dishonest methods of counter-reasoning to obfuscate and deny common sense.

At that point their position becomes disingenuous, and there is no further reason to engage in the dialogue, unless perhaps it's for the sake of the 'onlookers'. That's why I mentioned the "O'Reilly Syndrome". Because it's clear that the dialogue is not being engaged in honestly, or with the intent of seeking any understanding or relative truth, but only for the sake of the contention, itself. Which serves no positive purpose.

Of course there is also the "Rachel Madow" Syndrome. She is far left obnoxious to match O'Reilly on the far right!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Just because those are not linked to the burning of fossil fuels, does not exclude future events from being caused by them.

It should, at the very least, give you pause to consider when you hear the popular cry of "man-made climate change!"

Quetzal

It should, at the very least, give you pause to consider when you hear the popular cry of "man-made climate change!"
It does and that is why there has been a surge of research done over the last 5-10 years on that very topic. There has been a definitive spike in global temperatures around the world over the last ~50 years.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So the data indicating a rising global temperature .

There isn't any. Weather goes in cycles. This has been observed for a long time before you came along and drank the kook-aid.

Temps have been decreasing since the late 1990s. The RSS satellite shows no (global) warming for 224 months now.

ok doser

It does and that is why there has been a surge of research done over the last 5-10 years on that very topic. There has been a definitive spike in global temperatures around the world over the last ~50 years.

debatable

as is the cause, if true

ok doser

Surface?

:darwinsm:

Get back to us when you have a complete data set that includes from the top of the stratosphere to the depths of the oceans and everything in between, and doesn't have huge gaps in the data like the arctic, antarctic and indian oceans

And then let's talk about why the earth's core is molten.

Hint - it isn't from burning fossil fuels.