toldailytopic: Women preaching from the pulpit. Is it wrong?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2012 09:52 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Only priests and deacons of the Catholic Church should preach from the pulpit. Only men can be priests and deacons of the Catholic Church.

S0Z0

BANNED
Banned
I wouldn't mind a woman preacher if she's hot. But you don't see too many of those.....

There's always Melissa Scott, but she makes it hard to stay focused on the message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjfur9elFYs

Pastor-Melissa-Scott-3.jpg

HisServant

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 21st, 2012 09:52 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

If she is subject to a board of elders and it is their decision that she should preach.. than I have no problem with it.

Ultimate authority in a church is with the elders, and she would be bound to their correction and standards in what she says.

(personally though, I have only had bad experiences with woman 'pastors' in other denominations)

sky.

BANNED
Banned
It's not Biblical. In the Bible elders are all male and they are in charge of the body of believers.

elohiym

As long as she doesn't say stuff like, "Do I look fat when I preach this sermon?" :chuckle:

Seriously. God appoints preachers. He can choose who He wants.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Yes. Head pastor is not a role for a woman (1 Ti 2:12).

"1 Ti 2:12 I do not permit. The Gr. word for “permit” is used in the NT to refer to allowing someone to do what he desires. Paul may have been addressing a real situation in which several women in Ephesus desired to be public preachers. to teach. Paul used a verbal form of this Gr. word that indicates a condition or process and is better translated: “to be a teacher.” This was an important, official function in the church (see Acts 13:1; 1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4:11). Thus Paul is forbidding women from filling the office and role of the pastor or teacher. He is not prohibiting them from teaching in other appropriate conditions and circumstances (cf. Acts 18:26; Titus 2:3,4). to have authority over. Paul forbids women from exercising any type of authority over men in the church assembly, since the elders are those who rule (5:17). They are all to be men (as is clear from the requirements in 3:2,5)..."
Gr. Greek
MacArthur, John Jr: The MacArthur Study Bible. electronic ed. Nashville : Word Pub., 1997, c1997, S. 1 Ti 2:12

There are plenty of other things for her to do. :peach:

"Woman, get back in here and make me a sammich." Fox Mulder, The X-Files

Last edited:

The Berean

A disturbing read. That she was a party girl and nude model in the past isn't the problem.

No, the problem is that she continues to deny her past. If she has become a follower of Jesus Christ her past should be irrelevant. Her late husband, Dr. Scott, seemed liked a real piece of work from what I've read about him.

elohiym

No, the problem is that she continues to deny her past. If she has become a follower of Jesus Christ her past should be irrelevant. Her late husband, Dr. Scott, seemed liked a real piece of work from what I've read about him.

Generally I don't think it's our obligation to tell others all the specific sins we've committed in the past, or reveal all the intimate details of the time when we were dead in our transgressions. In this case, I think it makes sense to clear up the confusion or correct a lie.

Regarding her late husband, I watched the entire video Sozo posted above. Scott starts to touch on the gospel @5:00 but doesn't get far enough for me to know what he believed exactly.

The Berean

Generally I don't think it's our obligation to tell others all the specific sins we've committed in the past, or reveal all the intimate details of the time when we were dead in our transgressions. In this case, I think it makes sense to clear up the confusion or correct a lie.
Yes, I agree. People are casting accusations at her. Either these people are lying or she is refusing to admit what these people are saying is in fact true.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
1 Corinthians 14:34-35
Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

I think the real question should be "why would a woman want to preach in Church even though it is obvious God does not will it?". One will be surprised at what comes to mind, given how it should be obvious and yet didn't avail you.