toldailytopic: Women Pastors. Good idea, bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 4th, 2011 11:00 AM

toldailytopic: Women Pastors. Good idea, bad idea?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

Great idea.

So many churches in America would flop on their faces if the women in the church didn't hold it up by its corners.

It's about time we started letting God choose our leaders, instead of holding onto outdated traditions which have long hindered women called to spiritual leadership.

Women are already leading churches started by American missionaries around the world, yet for some reason we have clung to the notion that only a man can lead a community of believers in our affluent neighborhoods here at home.

Paulos

Sure, why not?

Because of this?

1 Timothy 2:
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who's gonna cook Sunday lunch? :idunno:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I once hear a priest say that the highest occupation is being a mother
and
the best a man could do was be a father

Samstarrett

Bad idea. It's in contravention of New Testament leadership patterns and centuries of tradition, not to mention Paul's explicit command.

BabyChristian

Because of this?

1 Timothy 2:
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Keep in mind that in those days women were not allowed an education. Keep many things in mind that there were issues in particular churches where there was too much noise going on because the women had to sit with the other women and they were asking the husband questions and that had to be straightened out.

So many problems were caused by the culture and rules that men made up and those wouldn't be issues any longer.

Women have had to rely on their words since the beginning where men could and did rely on strength etc...... I personally think women get messages across better for the most part. They're better communicators.

Our church believes that a woman can be a pastor just not the head pastor, though I have yet to see it happening in any of our churches. Chuck Smith' sister is a pastor and says she has done a great job at it so he's torn a bit about this question.

That part about Eve being deceived. I have never understood where that has anything to do with culpability. Adam made an informed decision and Eve was deceived. I don't see how what Eve did was worse.

Can someone explain why that would make a difference in who is the boss?

ragTagblues

I don't see why they shouldn't . . . . .

I mean lets face it women are smarter, stronger, quicker, funnier and prettier then men . . . . .

:noid:

How could a women pastor possibly be a bad thing?

GoingGoldenWCU

Keep in mind that in those days women were not allowed an education. Keep many things in mind that there were issues in particular churches where there was too much noise going on because the women had to sit with the other women and they were asking the husband questions and that had to be straightened out.

So many problems were caused by the culture and rules that men made up and those wouldn't be issues any longer.

Women have had to rely on their words since the beginning where men could and did rely on strength etc...... I personally think women get messages across better for the most part. They're better communicators.

Our church believes that a woman can be a pastor just not the head pastor, though I have yet to see it happening in any of our churches. Chuck Smith' sister is a pastor and says she has done a great job at it so he's torn a bit about this question.

That part about Eve being deceived. I have never understood where that has anything to do with culpability. Adam made an informed decision and Eve was deceived. I don't see how what Eve did was worse.

Can someone explain why that would make a difference in who is the boss?

I also remember learning/reading a piece (I don't remember it offhand) about how scholars have analyzed Paul's letters and some of them believe that this was edited in later, after Paul's death. Just something to think about.

GoingGoldenWCU

Yes!

Yes!

As a young woman who is debating going into the ministry, I wholeheartedly believe yes. I was inspired and encouraged by my female pastor to consider the ministry.
If we were all created in the image of God, I don't see why women shouldn't be encouraged to become church leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.