toldailytopic: WILDCARD Wednesday! Any topic goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Amazing books, very richly written.

I read those before I had even herd of Tolkein . . . .

Yes; really good stuff. Have you read all of them, from Sword through Word & Void series (related to Shannara) to the latest stuff he's still putting out each year (Genesis of Shannara, Bearers of the Black Staff, etc.)? Some are better than others, but overall I think they're amazing.

Buzzword

Have any of my fellow fantasy nerds read Anne/Todd McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books?

I'm on my second time through the whole...series (not sure what to call it, since the books all happen on Pern, but in different times) and it still amazes me constantly with the depth and richness of the world the McCaffrey's have created, and continue to develop.

Last edited:

ragTagblues

Yes; really good stuff. Have you read all of them, from Sword through Word & Void series (related to Shannara) to the latest stuff he's still putting out each year (Genesis of Shannara, Bearers of the Black Staff, etc.)? Some are better than others, but overall I think they're amazing.

I have mostly read the early ones, as I do not own them only all and only pick one up if I see it in a store . . . .

My favourite was the Elfstones of Shannara, had a fantastic plot throughout; but as I said have only read so many of them. My reading list grows bigger by day and have not thus far read the later ones.

I shall one day.

Have any of my fellow fantasy nerds read Anne/Todd McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern books?

I'm on my second time through the whole...series (not sure what to call it, since the books all happen on Pern, but in different times).

Yes, this is possibly in my top 5 series of books, Anne McCaffrey has such a beautiful writing style and has written some of the saddest and most joyful story lines ever . . . .

Dragonquest was amazingly sad . . . .

The harper hall trilogy were my favourite though by far, Master Robinton is brilliant.

Love these books so much. Have you tried any of her other series?

Has anyone been reading the Wheel of Time series by the late Robert Jordan?

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have mostly read the early ones, as I do not own them only all and only pick one up if I see it in a store . . . .

My favourite was the Elfstones of Shannara, had a fantastic plot throughout; but as I said have only read so many of them. My reading list grows bigger by day and have not thus far read the later ones.

I shall one day.

My favorite one, as well. :up:

Buzzword

ragTagblues said:
Yes, this is possibly in my top 5 series of books, Anne McCaffrey has such a beautiful writing style and has written some of the saddest and most joyful story lines ever . . . .

Dragonquest was amazingly sad . . . .

The harper hall trilogy were my favourite though by far, Master Robinton is brilliant.

Love these books so much. Have you tried any of her other series?

Haven't had a chance. So far my favorite single book is All the Weyrs of Pern.
Still get choked up reading:
"'To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven,' Master Robinton."
"That is poetic, Aivas."
"From the greatest book ever written by Mankind, Master Robinton. You may find the entire quotation in the files. The time has been accomplished. This system is going down. Farewell, Masterharper of Pern. Amen."
"'And a time to every purpose under heaven,'" Robinton murmured, his throat almost too tight for him to speak.
"Yes, how very true. How splendidly true. And what a wonderful time it has been!"
Unable to resist the lethargy that spread from his extremities, he laid his head down on the inactive pressure plate, one hand holding Zair in the curve of his neck, and closed his eyes, his long season over, his purpose, too, accomplished.
:cry:

ragTagblues

Haven't had a chance. So far my favorite single book is All the Weyrs of Pern.

Still get choked up reading:

:cry:

No, no . . . . I did not need to read that again!?!

So sad! Never to taste a Benden wine again . . .

I love the many parts where a character is in need and all the dragons chime in to offer comfort, makes me sad and happy.

I am now going to start reading the whole series again.

Try here other series as well, The Rowan is a very good one; but not as good as the Pern novels . .

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I'm no expert on bikes, but do you think mountain bikes don't have a built-in kickstand because the bike companies want you to buy a seperate one for the model, so that they can make more money?

That would make sense if they sold one, or even had a place on the bike to mount one. It just doesn't make much sense and sometimes makes the bike very difficult to deal with.

So, just being a sodomite doesn't mean you will buy a mountaing bike, correct? Or is it if you have a mountain bike, that doesn't mean you are a sodomite?

Did something bad happen to you in your childhood? Did you suffer too many head injuries or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.