toldailytopic: WILDCARD Wednesday! Any topic goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 26th, 2011 01:24 PM

toldailytopic: WILDCARD Wednesday! Any topic goes.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Here's a topic: We're the missionaries, wherever we go:

Sometimes, American missionaries will it a priority to be do missions in other countries, while other missionaries from other countries will make it a priority to come to America.

Sometimes we overlook the problems in our own backyard, neighborhoods, cities, countries, which later inspires missionaries from other countries to fill in that gap. Doing so takes traveling expenses, money, travel, resources, time to learn new languages, customs, and this goes for us, too, when we travel out to other countries, ourselves.

Missionary work is always in the mind. I just posted on my Facebook that I still want to be a missionary in Australia. There is something truly innovating about foreign missionaries in foreign lands, something that truly is remarkable and effective to many extents. People will sometimes listen to a foreigner more often than they would one of their own people. So, in other words, there is something truly special and truly vital about having missionaries in other countries due to that alone. For example, if I go to Nigeria, the kids there may be amazed at my white skin. It's an ice-breaker, an attention breaker. They may think I talk funny. They may want to learn how to spean English.

However, a pastor commented when I was writing about my desire to move to Australia, "When's the last time you visited Portland, Oregon," because they have plenty of homeless people and other problems. That's when it hit me. I'm really overlooking these things. I live in Portland, Oregon, by the way. That's the thing. As cool as traveling the world sounds, we can't neglect where we are in the meanwhile, our neighborhoods, homes, family, friends.

We got to be a light in the darkness wherever we are: even if we aren't where we want to be.

Cracked

Did you know that JRR Tolkien wrote that his dwarves were, at least in part, based off of Jews (that is, were given characteristics based on Jewish culture and Jewish history). This has led some consider him an anti-Semite, mainly because the Dwarves were greedy. Personally, I think that this is a simplistic way of looking at it.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Did you know that JRR Tolkien wrote that his dwarves were, at least in part, based off of Jews (that is, were given characteristics based on Jewish culture and Jewish history). This is lead some consider him an anti-Semite, mainly because the Dwarves were greedy. Personally, I think that this is a simplistic way of looking at it.

I didn't know that. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Hopefully it's a good thing.

Son of Jack

Did you know that JRR Tolkien wrote that his dwarves were, at least in part, based off of Jews (that is, were given characteristics based on Jewish culture and Jewish history). This is lead some consider him an anti-Semite, mainly because the Dwarves were greedy. Personally, I think that this is a simplistic way of looking at it.

Yeah, I agree that that would be a tad bit of an oversimplification. About like thinking that because he based the hobbits on the English, that Brits are very short and have very hairy feet...

:think: But then, there is Arthur Bunny...er...Brain...:plain:

Cracked

I didn't know that. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Hopefully it's a good thing.

Personally, I think it is pretty cool - though I admit I haven't contemplated it deeply. Dwarves have always been some of my favorite Tolkien characters - and in larger fantasy (inspired by Tolkien).

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Personally, I think it is pretty cool - though I admit I haven't contemplated it deeply. Dwarfs have always been some of my favorite Tolkien characters - and in larger fantasy (inspired by Tolkien).

I was hoping you're going to say, "It's not as cracked up as it use to be." Because your name is Cracked. Just kidding. Anyways, I am a huge fan of Toiken books, and in other news, I'm fans of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, also. They're almost as cool as Harry Potter, Matrix, and Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.