toldailytopic: Why (or why not) do you support TheologyOnline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

I read this over a couple of times. The question caught me off-guard.
"Why?" Obvious answers came to mind at first: "Do I support the doctrine?"
"Do I support the ministry?" "Do I enjoy and/or get some benefit from the site?"

Lying in bed, unable to sleep, the answers camesubstantially:

"...as iron sharpens iron..."
When I first came to TOL, I was still in the rough as far as vocalizing my beliefs
with precision and accuracy. I'm still humbled that one of my first attempts is preserved in fluid detail. TOL has made me think. And learn to articulate.
There are many ministry focused websites but TOL is uniquely debate unapologetically. It is one of a kind in both what it is about and what it accomplishes. Initially, I'd thought the focus short-sighted but have come to appreciate the strength and wisdom of a narrow focused approach.

"...faithful are the wounds of a friend...a brother is born in adversity..."
Answering "why" also must necessarily point to those I've met in my participation. If you've ever received a PM from me, you know that I value you and you hold my friendship and esteem. Supporting TOL is supporting the meeting place where we come together. It is no different than supporting a restaurant or coffeehouse or any other meeting place. TOL facilitates that and it must get finances to continue to stay open. I deem it a fine and excellent coffeehouse (TOL might want to invest in some TOL brand coffee, extra strong, extra dark. We have to get coffee from somewhere!).

There are other reasons that came to mind but others have already covered that and brevity seems prudent.

In Him,

Lon

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A bit like asking if you'd go to someone else's house for a party every [week, day, etc.] and not bring a gift because they're [your choice of political affiliations here]. Either you do or you don't derive benefit from TOL. If you don't then you probably aren't here. :D If you do then the question is can you or can't you afford to bring a gift to that house you've been invited to visit for entertainment, or fellowship, or stimulation, or any combination thereof.

Now some people can't. If that's the case, you contribute by trying to make the place more interesting, stimulating, entertaining, or beneficial in any way that you can. If you can do something more than that you should...even if it's only the less selfless contribution of a subscription.

That's my two cents anyway...which is about what I have in my pocket these days, but I intend on resubscribing at some level and for many of the reasons set out above.

:e4e:
Yup. Sentiments expressed better than I have in the past.

This time of the year comes at a moment when I am struggling to make ends meet. I won't be able to donate to the cause as I have in the past at this time, but will do so when the circumstances warrant. I did renew my membership subscription on a monthly basis last night. I also occasionally cough up gift membership fees for others. The $12 fee means skipping a couple of cheap, fast food meals for me, so I think the tradeoff is worth it. Paying $12 a month allows me the opportunity to post links in my sig, use an animated avatar that implies views that differ with others, and much more. It is my small way of getting a message across that I could not do otherwise. That alone is worth the price for me.

TH's metaphorical rationale, one that I also have used, is also spot on. It is simply good manners to make a run to the convenience store to re-stock the party favors if you plan on hanging around for any length of time (see my sig on what I think that length of time means). Refusing to contribute should not be about supporting a site that differs fundamentally with your views and your continued presence here speaks to your own cognitive dissonance. I have many complaints about views expressed herein and have voiced them. But I think it a wee bit presumptuous to complain, while your mouth is full (metaphor for those with many, many posts), that because the site differs with your views, you don't see a need to pitch in if you are able to do so. In the final analysis it is simply about good manners, and not about anything else.

AMR

lovemeorhateme

Well, what can I say?

I haven't been around here much for quite a while, and I can't afford to support TOL financially.. But I will support TOL in any other way I can.

I got saved as a result of the ministry of this website, as many older TOLers will remember. What more can I say?

lovemeorhateme

I've done some casual work, but unfortunately no permanent job so far :( I'm doing an outreach at Cardiff gay pride in Wales this weekend - should be good! Such a change from years ago - when I would walk in the gay pride parade!

Hmmmm.. knight may well be the oldest ;)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I've done some casual work, but unfortunately no permanent job so far :( I'm doing an outreach at Cardiff gay pride in Wales this weekend - should be good! Such a change from years ago - when I would walk in the gay pride parade!
From protested to protester... praise the Lord!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sounds intriguing. That work thing had better sort itself out soon though, aye?

Status
Not open for further replies.