toldailytopic: Why (or why not) do you support TheologyOnline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I support TOL because I have been able to refine my thinking and even change some of my views. Many people here saw me, in some sense, through a very tough time of my life. I wish I could do more to support this place, but my family's financial situation has been tenuous at best for the past few years.

I'm just glad I was able to subscribe this past year.:)
Thank you for the participation, that is another way to support the website. :up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I do it because I enjoy my time at TOL and I value the people. I've gained some friends here, at least as much as you can be through the interweb. It has stretched me greatly and I have learned a lot. I love getting a variety of perspectives on things. When I gain so much from it, it only seems natural to give some support back.
You are a TOL legend!

It wouldn't be TOL without getting to pick on kmoney. :D ;)

:mock: kmoney

nicholsmom

I love TOL. It's a great site, well run, with fascinating people. I think that the great variety of people and the quality of discussion is all thanks to the great environment that Knight provides - it runs so smoothly, it's easy to use, and it's purdy too :D

Sooooo... I support TOL because Knight does such a great job making it a place where the sort of people I like like to visit regularly. I also love the topic of the day :D

firon

That's a thought! Why not? How do we chip in?

That's a thought! Why not? How do we chip in?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 24th, 2010 10:18 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Where do we chip in?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like TOL.

There has been many interesting conversations, we have had over that last few years. Now words do not come to me so easily; my thoughts are slower and sometimes all I do is read posts. TOL is still an unique forum; there are great posters here and a fair amount of goofballs to keep me laughing.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I love TOL. It's a great site, well run, with fascinating people. I think that the great variety of people and the quality of discussion is all thanks to the great environment that Knight provides - it runs so smoothly, it's easy to use, and it's purdy too :D

Sooooo... I support TOL because Knight does such a great job making it a place where the sort of people I like like to visit regularly. I also love the topic of the day :D
Wow! Thank you so much!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like TOL.

There has been many interesting conversations, we have had over that last few years. Now words do not come to me so easily; my thoughts are slower and sometimes all I do is read posts. TOL is still an unique forum; there are great posters here and a fair amount of goofballs to keep me laughing.
And TOL is a better place with you around! :up:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
images

Thank you very much!

csuguy

I've been on TOL for many years now, starting my Junior/Senior of highschool and now I am in my 5th year of College (I have 2 majors and 2 minors so its taking me a little longer than normal). While I visit less frequently than I use to, TOL is easily the best forum I have ever found for discussing theology.

While you get some 'heretic hunters' and some completely closed minded people, you also get some truly educated people, you get some older gentlemen and ladies who are well versed in their respective churche's doctrines, you get some Mormons and JWs, you get some lots of strong supporters of the trinity but at the same time you get people who are honestly questioning it, etc. Not to mention all of the people of other faiths, or no faith, who can provide questions and considerations that might not be brought to our attention otherwise.

In short, it is a truly diverse community of people of varying education levels and of varying beliefs. It is a great place to debate for the sake of learning and of exploring your faith. Others here have certaintly changed certain aspects of my beliefs, and it has been a great place to explore theological questions that can't really be explored adequetly in any other fashion than good old-debate; such as my exploring the alternative views to the trinity. Even if many here are adamantly against non-trinitarian view points - it simply means for livelier debates (up to a point at any rate :p).

I am a college student so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to contribute just yet - but I'll definitely try to do my part to keep this great site going :)

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Is TOL is worth supporting? Yes.

Why, TOL . . .
Is honest and open.
A good place to learn.
Has a varied group of forum members.
Knight and staff do their best to fair handed.

Anyone can participate at an affordable level.
TOL is worth your support, at what ever level.
There are benefits to a green level entry,
and each level after that it just gets better.
Monetarily, supporting TOL is money well spent, and it not wasted.
TOL is trustworthy and can be trusted.​

Personally . . .

TOL helps me to maintain my daily Christian walk and forum lifestyle.
Are there threads and posts that :madmad: yes.
Are there TOL forum members who :mmph: me, yes.
Still, TOL helps me to remember who I am, part of a group of forum members that is worth being with.

TOL and forum members afford me the opportunity to continue to grow in the Grace and Knowledge of Jesus Christ. To show forth the fruit of the spirit, Galatians 5:22-23.
To edify others Romans 14:19, 1 Thessalonians 5:11.
And to bring help, hope and comfort through - "Praise the Lord II"

As for "Why not" - Why not.​

chair

TOL is fun, at least part of the time, But I won't contribute money to what is essentially a Christian site. Perhaps some won't understand this, but think for a moment. Would you contribute to a Jehovah's Witnesses/Roman Catholic/Muslim/Mormon/Pagan organization?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TOL is fun, at least part of the time, But I won't contribute money to what is essentially a Christian site. Perhaps some won't understand this, but think for a moment. Would you contribute to a Jehovah's Witnesses/Roman Catholic/Muslim/Mormon/Pagan organization?
A bit like asking if you'd go to someone else's house for a party every [week, day, etc.] and not bring a gift because they're [your choice of political affiliations here]. Either you do or you don't derive benefit from TOL. If you don't then you probably aren't here. :D If you do then the question is can you or can't you afford to bring a gift to that house you've been invited to visit for entertainment, or fellowship, or stimulation, or any combination thereof.

Now some people can't. If that's the case, you contribute by trying to make the place more interesting, stimulating, entertaining, or beneficial in any way that you can. If you can do something more than that you should...even if it's only the less selfless contribution of a subscription.

That's my two cents anyway...which is about what I have in my pocket these days, but I intend on resubscribing at some level and for many of the reasons set out above.

:e4e:

Last edited:

Memento Mori

A bit like asking if you'd go to someone else's house for a party every [week, day, etc.] and not bring a gift because they're [your choice of political affiliations here]. Either you do or you don't derive benefit from TOL. If you don't then you probably aren't here. :D If you do then the question is can you or can't you afford to bring a gift to that house you've been invited to visit for entertainment, or fellowship, or stimulation, or any combination thereof.

Now some people can't. If that's the case, you contribute by trying to make the place more interesting, stimulating, entertaining, or beneficial in any way that you can. If you can do something you should...even if it's only the less selfless contribution of a subscription.

That's my two cents anyway...which is about what I have in my pocket these days, but I intend on resubscribing at some level and for many of the reasons set out above.

Does acting as the punching bag count as a meaningful contribution?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Is TOL is worth supporting? Yes.

Why, TOL . . .
Is honest and open.
A good place to learn.
Has a varied group of forum members.
Knight and staff do their best to fair handed.

Anyone can participate at an affordable level.
TOL is worth your support, at what ever level.
There are benefits to a green level entry,
and each level after that it just gets better.
Monetarily, supporting TOL is money well spent, and it not wasted.
TOL is trustworthy and can be trusted.​

Personally . . .

TOL helps me to maintain my daily Christian walk and forum lifestyle.
Are there threads and posts that :madmad: yes.
Are there TOL forum members who :mmph: me, yes.
Still, TOL helps me to remember who I am, part of a group of forum members that is worth being with.

TOL and forum members afford me the opportunity to continue to grow in the Grace and Knowledge of Jesus Christ. To show forth the fruit of the spirit, Galatians 5:22-23.
To edify others Romans 14:19, 1 Thessalonians 5:11.
And to bring help, hope and comfort through - "Praise the Lord II"

As for "Why not" - Why not.​
POTD :first:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You may not realize this but it costs about $4,000 per year to keep TOL operating, and those are just the cold hard cash costs. TOL is too big and busy to be on a cheap shared server, we need our own dedicated server. Dedicated servers are expensive.

Therefore... if TOL doesn't raise $3,500 every August/September we will have to close down.

Would you prefer TheologyOnline close, or stay open?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Now some people can't. If that's the case, you contribute by trying to make the place more interesting, stimulating, entertaining, or beneficial in any way that you can. If you can do something more than that you should...even if it's only the less selfless contribution of a subscription.

Well said. :up:

And thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.