toldailytopic: Why (or why not) are you convinced that the Bible is the word of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 27th, 2010 10:03 AM

toldailytopic: Why (or why not) are you convinced that the Bible is the word of God.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I would not refer to the Bible as the 'word of God'
those who do can't seem to determine what is important and what isn't

the Bible is many words written by those inspired by God
and
the books were selected by those inspired by God

we cannot say that the translators have been inspired by God

at least not all

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
For a long time, the Bible made no sense to me. All it described to me was an angry, vengeful petty God who did not deal consistently with mankind. It was a book of silly rules that prevented me from doing the things I really wanted to do, most of which are immoral.

And then one day it made sense. I was sitting in church for the first time in a very long time with my 6 month old daughter. For the first time in my life I set aside my agenda and read the Bible. And then I met God. And then the Bible made sense. I am convinced that the Bible is the word of God because the Holy Spirit convinced me.

I know that there are many here who will not find that argument satisfying, convincing or rational. But life changes when you meet God and my life changed. I see it in a hundred small details everyday.

Aimiel

And then I met God. And then the Bible made sense. I am convinced that the Bible is the word of God because the Holy Spirit convinced me.

I know that there are many here who will not find that argument satisfying, convincing or rational. But life changes when you meet God and my life changed. I see it in a hundred small details everyday.
Amen!!! :thumb:

Granite

Hall of Fame
It doesn't make sense, contradicts itself, isn't true, and causes extremely bad things to happen.:idunno:

Nydhogg

For a long time, the Bible made no sense to me. All it described to me was an angry, vengeful petty God who did not deal consistently with mankind. It was a book of silly rules that prevented me from doing the things I really wanted to do, most of which are immoral.

And then one day it made sense. I was sitting in church for the first time in a very long time with my 6 month old daughter. For the first time in my life I set aside my agenda and read the Bible. And then I met God. And then the Bible made sense. I am convinced that the Bible is the word of God because the Holy Spirit convinced me.

I find your argument valid... For you. I won't dispute your personal reasons to believe it as true. It's your call.

Obviously your reasons can't persuade *me*, but I'm not going to be an arrogant jerk and claim your reasons are pure hogwash. If you had no reason to believe, I guess you wouldn't.

I have no reason to believe in your particular God, so I don't. It's really that simple.

Nydhogg

Nothing else makes sense. :idunno:

Why not?

At lot of stuff makes sense. Philosophy. Science. Art. Ideology.

It's not like the Bible is the only thing making sense out there (not that it makes sense on the first place).

Why'd you pick precisely the Bible as "making sense"?

Krsto

Being the Word of God, at least as we use the term today, implies infallibility yet we recognize we don't have the originals and there have been errors in transmission, we recognize errors in translation, and we recognize errors in understanding, so what we have is not infallible so what's the big deal if the original is not infallible? Why the double standard?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At lot of stuff makes sense. Philosophy. Science. Art. Ideology.
Uh ... none of those are formulated and coherent ideas. They are areas of study or practice.

You're comparing an apple with bryozoans.

Why'd you pick precisely the Bible as "making sense"?
I think you've read me wrong.

The bible must be the word of God. If it is not then nothing makes sense. It does not make sense to me that "science" is the word of God. Nor does it make sense that "Art" is the word of God.

Jesus is the Word of God, and His story is recorded in the bible. Thus the bible is our most reliable source of truth.

Nydhogg

There's no neccessity for a word of god to exist at all.
There might simply be no word of god.

What's the reason to choose the bible as inerrant? That it says so in the Bible? Many other books claim to be the word of god.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There's no neccessity for a word of god to exist at all. There might simply be no word of god.
Uh, I guess you can believe that, if you want.

It would kinda make participation in this discussion rather pointless, however.

What's the reason to choose the bible as inerrant? That it says so in the Bible? Many other books claim to be the word of god.
I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say the bible claims itself as inerrant. Got a verse?

I reckon you either believe it, or you don't. :idunno:

Krsto

Jesus is the Word of God, and His story is recorded in the bible. Thus the bible is our most reliable source of truth.

When the bible says Jesus is the Word of God, it doesn't mean he is the written word, or even the spoken word, but something else entirely. Strong's definition #2 for logos would have to be that something else:

2) its use as respect to the MIND alone 2a) reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating 2b) account, i.e. regard, consideration 2c) account, i.e. reckoning, score​

Your conclusion that the bible is our most reliable source of truth is still valid, just not for the reason you gave.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When the bible says Jesus is the Word of God, it doesn't mean he is the written word, or even the spoken word, but something else entirely....Your conclusion that the bible is our most reliable source of truth is still valid, just not for the reason you gave.
Yeah, I know. The reason I gave was, "I believe because nothing else makes sense".

I don't believe the Bible is the word of god because I don't believe there is a Word of God in the first place.
We know. And we're bored.

Got anything interesting to add?

Nydhogg

Two things:

1. If there is one and only one god, why should it be a personal god? The universe is huge. Any god would have better stuff to do than to give a damn about any of us.

2. Among the gazillions of claimed Word Of Gods, why the Bible?

Aimiel

God has given His Spirit, Who convicts of sin and Who testifies that His Word is Truth. He is such a loving God that He created living beings similar to Himself with whom He chose to share His Love.

LindaR

"This volume is the writing of the living God: Each letter was penned with an Almighty finger; each word in it dropped from the everlasting lips; each sentence was dictated by the Holy Spirit. Albeit, that Moses was employed to write his histories with his fiery pen, God guided that pen. It may be that David touched his harp and let sweet Psalms of melody drop from his fingers, but God moved his hands over the living strings of his golden harp. It may be that Solomon sang canticles of love, or gave forth words of consummate wisdom, but God directed his lips and made the preacher eloquent. If I follow the thundering Nahum, when his horses plough the waters, or Habakkuk, when he sees the tents of Cushan in affliction; if I read Malachi, when the earth is burning like an oven; if I turn to the smooth page of John, who tells of love, or the rugged, fiery chapters of Peter, who speaks of fire devouring God's enemies; if I turn to Jude, who launches forth anathemas upon the foes of God-everywhere I find God speaking. It is God's voice, not man's; the words are God's words, the words of the Eternal, the Invisible, the Almighty, the Jehovah of this earth" (Charles Haddon Spurgeon).

Lon

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is God's power for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Rom 1:17 For the righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel from faith to faith, just as it is written, "The righteous by faith will live."
Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of people who suppress the truth by their unrighteousness,
Rom 1:19 because what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.
Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes — his eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, because they are understood through what has been made. So people are without excuse.
Rom 1:21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God or give him thanks, but they became futile in their thoughts and their senseless hearts were darkened.

Status
Not open for further replies.