toldailytopic: Why are there so many Christian denominations? And is that necessarily

Krsto

Then submit to His commands:

"This authority, however, (though it has been given to man and is exercised by man), is not human but rather divine, granted to Peter by a divine word and reaffirmed to him (Peter) and his successors by the One Whom Peter confessed, the Lord saying to Peter himself, 'Whatsoever you shall bind on earth, shall be bound also in Heaven' etc., [Mt 16:19]. Therefore whoever resists this power thus ordained by God, resists the ordinance of God [Rom 13:2], unless he invent like Manicheus two beginnings, which is false and judged by us heretical, since according to the testimony of Moses, it is not in the beginnings but in the beginning that God created heaven and earth [Gen 1:1]. Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff" (Unam Sanctam).

Ya know, your church isn't the only cult to use the fear of God to get people to submit to their church but it sure is the biggest and most successful.

Krsto

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 21st, 2011 01:14 PM

toldailytopic: Why are there so many Christian denominations? And is that necessarily a bad thing?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

We have so many denominations because when God restores truth that had been lost during the Catholic era not everybody in the church where the restored truth is preached accept it as truth and those who want to preach the truth find themselves needing to plant a new church so they can have the freedom to preach what they believe God has revealed to them, or if they persist in trying to reform their old church they might find themselves getting the left foot of fellowship and booted out. Not that all denomination are started by a revelation of truth, some are started by a wind of doctrine that blows through the church. It's really a mixed bag and quite a chore to be part of the solution rather than be a part of the problem.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why so many denominations?

Division within the church arose from unfaithfulness to Christ and a falling away from the apostolic pattern.

Calvin, commenting on 2 Thessalonians, wrote: My readers now understand, that all the sects by which the Church has been lessened from the beginning, have been so many streams of revolt which began to draw away the water from the right course.

AMR

Arthur Brain

Division within the church arose from unfaithfulness to Christ and a falling away from the apostolic pattern.

Calvin, commenting on 2 Thessalonians, wrote: My readers now understand, that all the sects by which the Church has been lessened from the beginning, have been so many streams of revolt which began to draw away the water from the right course.

AMR

Oh, well if Calvin commented on such it must be true then....

:plain:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

AMR
AMR THERE you are, recovering well I hope.

I agree, but whether JC [the other JC I mean] returned wholly to the apostolic pattern is harder to discern.

The closest in church history that I can see to a return to the apostolic pattern were the Brethren in their formative days, before the prideful rise of Darby, those early days of men such as Anthony Norris Groves and George Muller of Bristol must have been heaven on earth.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why does the Church split off into Denominations?--The answers: Each one has its pet dogmas or ordinances. Here's is a partial listing of Denominations their tail wagging pets.

Catholics-- the dogmas surrounding the Virgin Mary to name a few
Baptists--Baptism
Mennonites --Antiwar
Presbyterians--Calvinism
Lutherans - Predestination - Splitting from the Catholic Church, even though in most respects they are still very similar.
Assemblies of God--Tongues--Gifts of the Spirit
Hutterites - Peculiar manner of dress, anti war.
Messianic Jews--Christians trying to keep the Jewish laws.
Metropolitan Community Church - 'Gay is OK' doctrine. This Dogma is a rabid Rottweiler.
Methodists --methods--hence their name.

No church is perfect. They all have a stinky dogma or two hiding around the corner waiting to defile your boots. Some are worse then others. There are some on the list that I would not recommend to anyone because their pet dogma is downright destructive. Sometimes the woof is so loud you can't hear the salvation message. What the Church needs to do it put Dogma on a leash if not just send him to the pound. The Church needs to put its focus on the Head, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Krsto

AMR

Are you implying that there was an apostolic pattern by which Calvin operated? In what way did Calvin intitute an "apostolic pattern"?

Buzzword

Why does the Church split off into Denominations?--The answers: Each one has its pet dogmas or ordinances. Here's is a partial listing of Denominations their tail wagging pets.

Catholics-- the dogmas surrounding the Virgin Mary to name a few
Baptists--Baptism
Mennonites --Antiwar
Presbyterians--Calvinism
Lutherans - Predestination - Splitting from the Catholic Church, even though in most respects they are still very similar.
Assemblies of God--Tongues--Gifts of the Spirit
Hutterites - Peculiar manner of dress, anti war.
Messianic Jews--Christians trying to keep the Jewish laws.
Metropolitan Community Church - 'Gay is OK' doctrine. This Dogma is a rabid Rottweiler.
Methodists --methods--hence their name.

No church is perfect. They all have a stinky dogma or two hiding around the corner waiting to defile your boots. Some are worse then others. There are some on the list that I would not recommend to anyone because their pet dogma is downright destructive. Sometimes the woof is so loud you can't hear the salvation message. What the Church needs to do it put Dogma on a leash if not just send him to the pound. The Church needs to put its focus on the Head, the Lord Jesus Christ.

What would you say is the Nazarene Church's "pet dogma"?

(this question extended to anyone. I haven't found any big warning signs in the Church of the Nazarene manual.)

Krsto

What would you say is the Nazarene Church's "pet dogma"?

(this question extended to anyone. I haven't found any big warning signs in the Church of the Nazarene manual.)

If the dogma is truth we wouldn't be calling it a "pet doctrine" if the whole church simply accepted it as truth.

Buzzword

If the dogma is truth we wouldn't be calling it a "pet doctrine" if the whole church simply accepted it as truth.

Ok...that's a given.

It just seemed like Inzl had something from every denomination to shoot down, and I was curious if the list extended to the Nazarenes as well.

zippy2006

John 17:21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

There is one truth, not many. Claiming that the doctrinal differences are a good thing is modern nonsense.

IXOYE

AMR

Quoting a man that saw the deaths of tons of people who rejected his doctrine is a great example of how the Church got split. Anyone that would build doctrine/dogma on an anthropomorphic statement and express it as literal isn't worth tracking.

It's representing the, "it's my way, I'm right, you are not, so I have the Spirit, you do not, crowd".

IXOYE

John 17:21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

There is one truth, not many. Claiming that the doctrinal differences are a good thing is modern nonsense.

Add the eph 4 12-17 vss that shows you gain said unity through works, OR APPLYING what the church teaches, and look at the depth of maturation/unity you would find....

Just like Christ.

Krsto

Only if you accept the premise that God entrusted one particular denomination to be the repository of all the truth. It is this type of thinking which leads to division in the body of Christ more than anything.

In other words Zip, you are not a part of the solution, but a part of the problem.