toldailytopic: What things should you look for when picking a good church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 30th, 2010 10:11 AM

toldailytopic: What things should you look for when picking a good church?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It teaches out of the bible and it teaches sound doctrine. I like it when a preacher preaches out of the bible. My husband and I will not go back if the preacher is preaching out of something other than the bible.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I take the approach of looking for red flags, i.e., things that are sure to make me NOT attend that particular church. If any of these things are present I instantly remove this church as a viable option....

- Pastor cries during sermon
- Worship music is over emphasized or over produced (I just wanna sing to the Lord not attend a rock and roll concert)
- Pastor makes comments like... "God works in mysterious ways"
- Parishioners are waving their hands dancing in the isles or rolling on the floor (not my style)
- Pastor claims he healed somebodies bursitis.
- Pastor talks like a homosexual
- Anyone in the church starts speaking in tongues
- Pastor makes a big deal about tithing
- Pastor says.... "there are many roads to God".
- Pastor insinuates Jesus was tolerant
- Pastor says "God loves everyone, just the way they are"
- Pastor teaches that the Bible teaches we should hate the sin but not the sinner
- Pastor says we should pray for God to find us a wife or find us a job
- Pastor says we shouldn't judge
- Service requires that I know some type of routine, such as when I am supposed to say certain things when the preacher says a phrase, or kneel at certain times etc.
- Pastor rarely if ever mentions the Bible
- Pastor tries to sell church products during the sermon
- Pastor is a women
- Pastor employs special effects during his sermon such as a smoke machine or other stage props
- Pastor makes me feel guilty for not giving enough

SaulToPaul 2

I cannot in good conscience attend an assembly that says the Twelve were sent to me with the gospel of the kingdom, rather than Paul with the gospel of the grace of God. Everything else is irrelevant to me.

Alate_One

I take the approach of looking for red flags, i.e., things that are sure to make me NOT attend that particular church. If any of these things are present I instantly remove this church as a viable option....

- Pastor employs special effects during his sermon such as a smoke machine or other stage props
That's a good approach but I want to know . .have you actually observed a pastor using a smoke machine during a sermon? :jawdrop:

For myself, I'm having to avoid being too picky and I'm mostly looking for doctrinal agreement or if there is disagreement a willingness to accommodate.

A Red flag I would have are churches that have no alcohol pledges. Not that I love alcohol but I don't want to make a promise to God I don't in any way feel led to make.

I really like old hymns with actual meaningful words in terms of music but the most important thing is the depth and quality of preaching. If I feel like I could teach better than the pastor 90% of the time, its time to go somewhere else.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Isn't that basically a Bingo hall?

The morning I attended there was a speech on ethics, it was pretty interesting.

Better than watching some guy run around screaming "Praise the lord!" and "Thank you Jesus!" while bopping people on the head and mumbling jibberish.

miriam

Can I change this to "What things should you look for when picking a good synagogue?" This list is given with affectionate good humor.

1. Tickets to High Holy Days services are free.
2. The congregation during Shabbat services consists of more than 5 old guys
shokeling on their own in the back rows and a large Hasid family passing
through town.
3. There is mixed seating.
4. Lots of people from the congregation are called to read from the Torah, and
they do it well.
5. Responses are given enthusiastically.
6. Hasidic melodies are used for the Adon Olam and the Ein Keloheinu (they're
so beautiful).
7. Lots of children are at the service and are well-behaved.
8. Adult education classes are offered, including Torah study, Talmud, Hebrew
and Yiddish.
9. Synagogue dues are reasonable.
10. The place has a sweet ruach.

miriam

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Better than watching some guy run around screaming "Praise the lord!" and "Thank you Jesus!" while bopping people on the head and mumbling jibberish.

You know, I think I'd probably agree with you there. :up:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's a good approach but I want to know . .have you actually observed a pastor using a smoke machine during a sermon? :jawdrop:

For myself, I'm having to avoid being too picky and I'm mostly looking for doctrinal agreement or if there is disagreement a willingness to accommodate.

A Red flag I would have are churches that have no alcohol pledges. Not that I love alcohol but I don't want to make a promise to God I don't in any way feel led to make.

I really like old hymns with actual meaningful words in terms of music but the most important thing is the depth and quality of preaching. If I feel like I could teach better than the pastor 90% of the time, its time to go somewhere else.
:shocked:

You're a CHRISTIAN!!??

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, but that would be hilarious wouldn't it?

Good one, I agree.

I agree with that as well. :up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Hmmm... I actually agree with that. :shocked:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All the churches I attend speak in tongues. Doesn't bother me much. :)

P8ntrDan

Well I just read the book Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola, and until I've looked a bit more into the matter I'm not sure what to say on this. His well sourced arguments for house churches are quite compelling to say the least.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Do the regular church attendees greet you with genuine love and kindness?? Does the Pastor/preacher/leader preach out of the Word or out of his own thoughts? If I weren't saved, would this feel like a genuine, inviting place where people care about me?

---SIDENOTE---

Fellowship Church in Grapevine, Texas is pastored by Ed Young, Jr. HIS CHURCH requires new members to SIGN a covenant between the new member, the church and God to give 10% no matter what to fellowship and fellowship alone. When I found that out, I tried to get ahold of Ed to no avail, so we never went back.

Thats on top of the fact that women wear incredibly revealing clothes there to show off their fake breasts and short short short short skirts without Ed EVER having said anything about appropriate dress. I'm not a tie and suit kind of guy, but I would NEVER allow my wife or daughter to wear some low cut/high cut shirt/dress to ANYWHERE, much less Sunday morning Church.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Well I just read the book Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola, and until I've looked a bit more into the matter I'm not sure what to say on this. His well sourced arguments for house churches are quite compelling to say the least.
Just started reading Frank's books.

Status
Not open for further replies.