toldailytopic: What do you believe is proper attire for church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dena

I don't go to church but for for synagogue services I generally wear an ankle length skirt with dressy boots. Occasionally I will wear pants but I prefer to wear the long skirts. I make sure I'm covered in the front and down to my elbows with my sleeves. That's generally how I dress everyday except that sometimes I wear short sleeve shirts or capris in the summer. Oh and I wear pants on a regular basis.

Last edited:

GuySmiley

My sister was in church a while back and siad a guy was in front of them with shorts and flip-flops on. She doesnt care about that, but they guy was sitting there scratching his feet constantly, which was gross. Later, after anouncements, they get to the part where you are supposed to say hi to people around you and shake hands. He turned around to shake hands and she wouldn't do it, lol. He probably thought she was really rude.

Dena

My sister was in church a while back and siad a guy was in front of them with shorts and flip-flops on. She doesnt care about that, but they guy was sitting there scratching his feet constantly, which was gross. Later, after anouncements, they get to the part where you are supposed to say hi to people around you and shake hands. He turned around to shake hands and she wouldn't do it, lol. He probably thought she was really rude.

It's my opinion that men shouldn't wear flip flops. :nono:

miriam

I don't go to church, but these days, I go to a pretty conservative Conservative synagogue, so I usually wear a calf-length dress with at least elbow length sleeves and a not-too-low neckline. I think it's always polite to follow the cues of those around you, and wear the kind of clothes they wear.

miriam

firon

Just Dress Clean and Modestly

Just Dress Clean and Modestly

But if someone in the congregation has no good attire, don't over do it. Remember what James said about those who were not well off. Be gracious. If you think they do not dress well enough, offer them some time in a clothing store free of charge. One of the most uncomfortable Christmas services I ever saw was a minister receiving a huge grandfather clock plus a costly leather jacket. While this was going on, I could not get my mind off the family with poor attire sitting in the rear of the sanctuary.

Krsto

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 21st, 2011 09:42 AM

toldailytopic: What do you believe is proper attire for church?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The bible does say in the OT that a man should not wear the things of a woman and a woman should not wear the things of a man.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This, of course...
17.jpg

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I initially read this...
The bible does say in the OT that a man should not wear the things of a woman and a woman should not wear the things of a man.
...as this...
The bible does say in the OT that a man should not wear the thongs of a woman and a woman should not wear the thongs of a man.
:chuckle:

Breathe

But don't we live by the new covenant? Anyhow, didn't men in OT times wear robes, not pants?
I wear dress pants, a nice shirt and dress shoes to church. As long as I am clean and decent, I don't see any problem with my attire. I think too much is made of what is on our backs, and not what is in our hearts when we worship.

Krsto

But don't we live by the new covenant? Anyhow, didn't men in OT times wear robes, not pants?
I wear dress pants, a nice shirt and dress shoes to church. As long as I am clean and decent, I don't see any problem with my attire. I think too much is made of what is on our backs, and not what is in our hearts when we worship.

Yes and I don't think it was just refering to their Sabbath activities but 24/7 - and I don't think the change of covenants means I should wear a pretty dress - but pants on a woman? Well, what is a thing of a man or a thing of a woman is culturally defined and for decades pants have been accepted by our culture as a thing of both genders. I guess I wouldn't have encouraged a woman to be one of the FIRST ones to wear pants but wait until its culturally acceptable. The real problem for me is when church leaders think they have to make that determination for everyone else and can't just say, "Here's how I look at that but you are free to figure that out for yourself, within reason," and leave it at that without judgeing. I've been in Holiness churches where people get a sense of superiority about how strictly they adhere to certain standards and I avoid those churches like the plague.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
This sounds like a question that was asked a lot before we entered the "Post-Christian era". And yet I talked to a college guy last night about going back to church and one of the things he said he likes to see in a church is people dressed in 'Sunday best' out of respect to God. It's funny how silly old traditions will trickle down through the generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.