toldailytopic: What do you believe is proper attire for church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 21st, 2011 09:42 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have met folks who really get freaked out about what not to wear at church. Or others who get freaked out about what they SHOULD wear at church (hats on women etc.).

That is really sad.

The reason you go to church is to fellowship with God, it's not a job interview.

This Charming Manc

As long as its decent I dont mind.

Actually I do, I dont like anythig that makes people feel out of place, so uba rich/trendy/formal or culturally inappropriate can get my goat

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Clean clothes that cover what they should. ;) They don't have to be fancy. Come as yourself.

Bottom line, the church should be reaching out to the lost, not fussing about clothes people wear into the building. I don't even think it should close its doors to anyone who comes in seeking the truth--including transsexuals, goths etc.

When God changes a person's heart, then the change will be reflected on the outside. I have seen it happen.

Krsto

There was a day when you dressed up to go to church to show your respect for God. I'm glad we are past that.

Aimiel

Whatever you normally wear to a good friend's house for a visit. Whatever the norm is for your culture. Dressing to attract attention or shock will only point out your needs more clearly.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Whatever you normally wear to a good friend's house for a visit. Whatever the norm is for your culture. Dressing to attract attention or shock will only point out your needs more clearly.

Good point. A lost person might not understand that though. My church does minster to some needy individuals that don't know the truth yet. I have seen some of them change into healthy people as the Church has loved them and shared Christ with them.

Krsto

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 21st, 2011 09:42 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This is NOT proper church attire (scroll between 1/3 and 2/3 of the way to the bottom):

http://airmaria.com/2010/03/

Last edited:

Aimiel

I've had many college students, often dressed in their practice attire for their particular sport and even more homeless, whom we compelled to come to our services for the warmth and free food (during winter we often held services such as this). One, on a particularly cold Sunday, who didn't have any more than a spring jacket went home with my US Navy issued peacoat and black leather gloves... The Lord impressed me to give them to him, as I spoke with him shivering while drinking coffee and standing next to the steam radiator. We never had leftovers on those days, because they spread the word very quickly. Many needs were ministered to, and I'm sure the consequences are eternal. At that church I learned a deep abiding love for all homeless persons. No one, no matter how they're dressed should ever be turned away from The Table of The Lord. :thumb:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I don't think it matters, I remember a story about Chuck Smith when they were building Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa back in the early 70's. One of the elders had a problem with the hippies coming in barefoot claiming it was soiling the carpet. Chuck's response was "Rip up the carpet then, if the carpet is going to stand in the way of people seeking Jesus then the carpet needs to go". Neat story but, it is true God does not respect someone in a three peice suit over someone in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops (me). Summary: Clothes don't make the Christian...:D

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Something clean....mended if necessary.

It might be nice if one could forego the flip-flops & cut-offs but I'm not dogmatic about that. :plain:

Aimiel

God doesn't judge anyone by their attire... He looks upon the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Last time I was in a church I was wearing a black leather motorcycle jacket, black t-shirt, tight black jeans, black motorcycle boots and my hair was dyed bright blue and purple and reached my hips. Was that proper attire? I was at Great St. Mary's in Cambridge.

Aimiel

I have no doubt you raised the eyebrows you were hoping to, but God doesn't judge by appearance, or even what you have done, where you have been or the size of your offering. He looks upon the heart. He wants to change you, to protect you from yourself.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I have met folks who really get freaked out about what not to wear at church. Or others who get freaked out about what they SHOULD wear at church (hats on women etc.).

That is really sad.

The reason you go to church is to fellowship with God, it's not a job interview.

I agree with you, and I don't even go to church or believe in your God. However, every now and again I find myself riding past a local church just at that time that people are coming in or going out and I always see at least a few young ladies that are dressed more like they are going to a night club if not on stage at the local strip club. I can't help but think "Something just ain't right bout that."

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I have no doubt you raised the eyebrows you were hoping to, but God doesn't judge by appearance, or even what you have done, where you have been or the size of your offering. He looks upon the heart. He wants to change you, to protect you from yourself.

Actually that was normal attire for me and I had no idea I was going to be entering a church that day. I don't play dress up for the sole purpose of raising eyebrows or what ever you may think I do. I was there with a close friend I had made while I was going to school and she wanted to take me to this place she liked to go that had a great view. And she wasn't joking the view from the top of the tower was amazing.

elohiym

What do you believe is proper attire for church?

Gen 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.